Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Instacart is a failsite and I hate it. Tips?

Load Metric
    bro you live in the fucking sticks you should be paying like 200 dollars to have anyone even come in contact with you

Load Metric
    again the whole point is to not have contact with people and btw i get better ōtoro delivered to my door than i do in manhattan.

#blackgirlmagic
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    rofl do not re roll out black girl magic on me that shit is mine

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    instacart is expensive but its a fairly boutique service. not to mention its a great way to feel like youve rewarded someone for doing a good job. like when i tip someone for doing $100 worth of shopping for me for 15 minutes and driving another 25 to get to my house, then dropping my shit off and dipping without bothering me _at all_, i feel like a) that person deserves my $20 and im guessing they really do need it, and b) im financing a much improved future.

obviously people who think they are the only ones who actually exist arent going to get a lot of equity out of that.
    I don't know if that last line was a slam at me, because if you notice, I wasn't arguing against tipping the driver.

I was stating that Instacart itself marks the prices up AND tacks on a lot of bullshit fees -- none of which helps the driver.

You can always tip the driver what you want with any service by leaving an envelope with cash at the door with clear instructions that it's a tip for them. You don't need to pay markups through something like Instacart to manage tips.

It's possible that the stores you're having delivered to you don't have their own delivery service or contracted delivery service, but if they do, you should cut out the middleman and then tip the driver whatever you want. Otherwise you're just enriching Instacart.

FYI you can still tip the driver through the Costco interface, just like on Instacart.

There's also a matter of common sense when it comes to tipping. If you have a lot of $5-$10 stuff which takes forever to grab, then a bigger % tip is warranted. If you are buying expensive items which are easy to grab but just cost a lot of money (such as prime steaks), then there's no reason they deserve the same high percentage as if they were grabbing a ton of small items. So the order of $100 worth of 15 cheap items deserves the same dollar amount tip as a $400 order of 15 more expensive items. This isn't a restaurant. Flat tipping, based upon time/effort to shop & deliver, should be encouraged rather than percentage.

Silver
    Load Metric
    I had instacart for 3 months and finally couldn't take it and they refunded me the yearly.

If the store was out of an item, half the time (literally) or more they wouldn't adjust what they charged me - I would just get dinged for the item that never showed up. I would often get wrong flavors, etc when I ordered drinks, etc. I'd suggest hiring a big 8 accounting firm to audit every delivery.

If there was a buy 1 get 1 free, I would buy the 1 and never get the freebie (and get charged full price instead of 50%), or choose 2 thinking the final charge would be less since the 1 item was free and you guessed it - I would get charged full price for 2 items and only get 2, not the 4 you would of otherwise expected.

In 3 months they probably made 15-20 mistakes, every single time it was in their favor. I was 0-15 to 0-20 on having a mistake go my way.

In 3 months I might of been 0-9 in trying to get the right price/items on a buy 1 get one free purchase..

If I remember correctly their call center closed at 6pm so if you got a delivery after that you had to wait till the next day to complain about your order. I might of called them 50 times in the 3 months.

Imagine a homeless person went grocery shopping and then a crack-head did the accounting. This would be better than almost every Instacart transaction I had.

In my adult life, it was without question the worst online commerce experience.

I would rather lick the floor of the E.R. than ever use Instacart.

But maybe I just got unlucky, alot...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I had instacart for 3 months and finally couldn't take it and they refunded me the yearly.

If the store was out of an item, half the time (literally) or more they wouldn't adjust what they charged me - I would just get dinged for the item that never showed up. I would often get wrong flavors, etc when I ordered drinks, etc. I'd suggest hiring a big 8 accounting firm to audit every delivery.

If there was a buy 1 get 1 free, I would buy the 1 and never get the freebie (and get charged full price instead of 50%), or choose 2 thinking the final charge would be less since the 1 item was free and you guessed it - I would get charged full price for 2 items and only get 2, not the 4 you would of otherwise expected.

In 3 months they probably made 15-20 mistakes, every single time it was in their favor. I was 0-15 to 0-20 on having a mistake go my way.

In 3 months I might of been 0-9 in trying to get the right price/items on a buy 1 get one free purchase..

If I remember correctly their call center closed at 6pm so if you got a delivery after that you had to wait till the next day to complain about your order. I might of called them 50 times in the 3 months.

Imagine a homeless person went grocery shopping and then a crack-head did the accounting. This would be better than almost every Instacart transaction I had.

now you got me wondering if they adjusted my orders or not. i get the feeling im in for rude surprises.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Sounds reasonable.

Seriously, 15 screwed up items over 3 months is not terrible with someone else picking your groceries. I mean, if you ordered grape Gatorade and you got orange, you are still going to drink the orange. I just got delivered $200 worth of groceries. I ordered chicken thighs and it came with chicken breasts. The guy who delivered it probably picked it and he was maybe 21 years old so he did not know the difference, it was rather amusing. If $20 here and there prevents me from going into the grocery store, that is fine, that means most was correct. I was a little miffed I got the generic bag of chips rather than Lays, but I am assuming they were sold out. Don't sweat the small stuff in all of this.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The big delivery apps are inundated with customers. Lots of things out of stock, poor delivery options. On top of that, they have been playing the hidden fees game for quite a while now, trying to hide how overpriced they are via item size, how the price is advertised, and additional service/handing/tip charges.

In my experience, the smaller the service, the better the experience. A lot of the local stores you are used to might be in the delivery game right now. Check their website/call.

I also used some drive-by services and they are pretty good. I get to get out of the house, call as I pull up, and they will put my groceries in the trunk. Easy.

Last but not least, just as there are bots for Ticketmaster, there are bots for delivery services. The bots/extensions vary in complexity. Some will just check which stores have open delivery, some will monitor, some will alert, some will insta-grab spots for you. Some will even check out for you if a certain delivery window becomes available. If you are determined to order from a specific place, these bots/extensions might be worth playing with.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by apwiz View Post
    The big delivery apps are inundated with customers. Lots of things out of stock, poor delivery options. On top of that, they have been playing the hidden fees game for quite a while now, trying to hide how overpriced they are via item size, how the price is advertised, and additional service/handing/tip charges.

In my experience, the smaller the service, the better the experience. A lot of the local stores you are used to might be in the delivery game right now. Check their website/call.

I also used some drive-by services and they are pretty good. I get to get out of the house, call as I pull up, and they will put my groceries in the trunk. Easy.

Last but not least, just as there are bots for Ticketmaster, there are bots for delivery services. The bots/extensions vary in complexity. Some will just check which stores have open delivery, some will monitor, some will alert, some will insta-grab spots for you. Some will even check out for you if a certain delivery window becomes available. If you are determined to order from a specific place, these bots/extensions might be worth playing with.
    Yeah I forgot to mention the drive-up service. I use that at Target. It's free and there's no markups.

However, they don't do perishables for this service. So that's a little bit annoying, but whatever, I just get my perishables from Costco or the supermarket.

Anyway, bit of a hassle from the first time I used it:

I knew the location near me had drive-up service, so I used target.com and put all the things we needed into my account's cart, and made sure items were all marked for "pick up". I was a bit nervous that "pick up" and "drive up" were different, but there was not an option for drive-up, despite knowing that this location did it, so I figured they had to mean the same thing.

My girlfriend volunteered to get it, and I told her she should call them before she was going, to make sure everything was okay, because their email was having problems that day and not going out to us, so we didn't have instructions. My girlfriend figured she'd just call on the way there, which was a

... because it turned out the order had a major problem. Pick up meant you had to go in the store, and there was no way to change it They told her this on the phone when she was on her way there, and some bitchy chick on the phone refused to help her further, basically telling her to either come in to get it or cancel the order.

So she hung up, called me, told me what happened, and I said I'd call myself. So I called, got someone nicer, who told me that the website target.com only offers pick-up, while the app orders pick-up AND drive-up!

How is anyone supposed to know that? It said nothing while ordering that only the app had the drive-up option, and even the website said "drive-up available", so how was I supposed to know that pick up meant something different?

The employee I spoke to agreed that it's very confusing. I asked if he could make an exception and convert the order, and he said, "We were told we aren't allowed to", but I talked him into it.

Unfortunately by that point my girlfriend was almost back at the house, meaning she'd need to make another round trip back there to actually get the stuff now. I felt bad about this and said that I'd go this time, but she insisted she'd go, turned around, and indeed the drive-up was ready.

The next time I ordered, I found it was best to use the website to put everything in my cart (because using apps for this type of thing is cumbersome and slow), and then use the app to switch delivery to drive-up for each item, which I found was fairly quick to do.

Second order went very smoothly for drive-up, which I drove to get this time.

So now this is basically what I do:

Target: Drive-up
    Supermarket: Their own delivery service
    Costco: Instacart through costco.com
    Prescriptions: By mail

Took awhile to figure all this out, but I have a pretty good routine going now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apwiz View Post

Yeah I forgot to mention the drive-up service. I use that at Target. It's free and there's no markups.

However, they don't do perishables for this service. So that's a little bit annoying, but whatever, I just get my perishables from Costco or the supermarket.

Anyway, bit of a hassle from the first time I used it:

I knew the location near me had drive-up service, so I used target.com and put all the things we needed into my account's cart, and made sure items were all marked for "pick up". I was a bit nervous that "pick up" and "drive up" were different, but there was not an option for drive-up, despite knowing that this location did it, so I figured they had to mean the same thing.

My girlfriend volunteered to get it, and I told her she should call them before she was going, to make sure everything was okay, because their email was having problems that day and not going out to us, so we didn't have instructions. My girlfriend figured she'd just call on the way there, which was a

... because it turned out the order had a major problem. Pick up meant you had to go in the store, and there was no way to change it They told her this on the phone when she was on her way there, and some bitchy chick on the phone refused to help her further, basically telling her to either come in to get it or cancel the order.

So she hung up, called me, told me what happened, and I said I'd call myself. So I called, got someone nicer, who told me that the website target.com only offers pick-up, while the app orders pick-up AND drive-up!

How is anyone supposed to know that? It said nothing while ordering that only the app had the drive-up option, and even the website said "drive-up available", so how was I supposed to know that pick up meant something different?

The employee I spoke to agreed that it's very confusing. I asked if he could make an exception and convert the order, and he said, "We were told we aren't allowed to", but I talked him into it.

Unfortunately by that point my girlfriend was almost back at the house, meaning she'd need to make another round trip back there to actually get the stuff now. I felt bad about this and said that I'd go this time, but she insisted she'd go, turned around, and indeed the drive-up was ready.

The next time I ordered, I found it was best to use the website to put everything in my cart (because using apps for this type of thing is cumbersome and slow), and then use the app to switch delivery to drive-up for each item, which I found was fairly quick to do.

Second order went very smoothly for drive-up, which I picked up myself.

So now this is basically what I do:

Target: Drive-up
    Supermarket: Their own delivery service
    Costco: Instacart through costco.com
    Prescriptions: By mail

Took awhile to figure all this out, but I have a pretty good routine going now.
    Now you can spend all your time on the internet like you've always wanted.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Actually I still hate all of this. I would much rather go myself.

There are still all kinds of fail doing this, where there are missing items or ridiculous substitutions where I'm given something cheaper but charged the original amount.

And when it comes to things you pick, such as fruit, items with expiration dates, or meat, you have zero control and they just grab whatever is in front of them.

The Target drive-up is probably the only one I'll continue using once corona is over and I'm not DD from it, because that's non-perishable stuff, so others choosing for you is less of a big deal, and the time saved might be worth the billing/order fail which sometimes occurs.

Load Metric

There are still all kinds of fail doing this, where there are missing items or ridiculous substitutions where I'm given something cheaper but charged the original amount.

And when it comes to things you pick, such as fruit, items with expiration dates, or meat, you have zero control and they just grab whatever is in front of them.

The Target drive-up is probably the only one I'll continue using once corona is over and I'm not DD from it, because that's non-perishable stuff, so others choosing for you is less of a big deal, and the time saved might be worth the billing/order fail which sometimes occurs.
    obviously kidding, I like getting out too, miss doing normal things

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

obviously kidding, I like getting out too, miss doing normal things
    Just wanted to clarify because it would be reasonable to think, "Druff must love this because now he doesn't have to grocery shop anymore", but in reality I think the delivery thing kinda sucks.

Glad it's available for things like this, though.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Amazon Primenow, which has Amazon Groceries and Whole Foods in my area is basically flawless.

The difference between Instacart and Primenow cannot be exaggerated or explained by any mathematical model or a set of Grocery Delivery Power Ratings.

If it were a football game, Amazon Primenow is like a 70 point favorite.

The larceny at Instacart is so omnipresent and shameless it cannot be on accident. This is top down carnie scam run by Gypsy rejects who were too dishonest to live in the Gypsy camps.

It is impossible there is a faker "legit" company than Instacart.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I swore off shopping apps the first time I tried it a few years ago, because everything seemed to be marked up 30%. Sneaky way to hide the true delivery/convenience fees.

Anyway I tried out Shipt today and the experience was fantastic. Regular store pricing, plenty of time slots, $10 delivery fee, the shopper was courteous and didn't fuck anything up.

With a $15 tip, it works out to ~8% vig on a $300 grocery bill. 100% worth saving an hour+ of my time, nevermind the reduced exposure to covid. I might continue using this when it blows over.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Amazon Primenow, which has Amazon Groceries and Whole Foods in my area is basically flawless.

The difference between Instacart and Primenow cannot be exaggerated or explained by any mathematical model or a set of Grocery Delivery Power Ratings.

If it were a football game, Amazon Primenow is like a 70 point favorite.

The larceny at Instacart is so omnipresent and shameless it cannot be on accident. This is top down carnie scam run by Gypsy rejects who were too dishonest to live in the Gypsy camps.

It is impossible there is a faker "legit" company than Instacart.
    Instacart looks like it just wasn't ready for all of this sudden growth. It was a small service which exploded because of COVID-19.

I wish I could use Amazon Fresh. Doesn't deliver to my area.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So here is another example of why Instacart sucks. Kinda minor, but it really speaks volumes about the way they conduct business.

As I mentioned already, I was only using them for Costco, yet I found that Costco uses them to delivery anyway, and doesn't mark up the prices as much as Instacart does. So Instacart through Costco is cheaper than Instacart itself, AND it doesn't require a monthly subscription to get free delivery. That by itself is already shitty.

Anyway, knowing this was the case, I attempted to cancel my auto-renewing subscription last week. It said, "Wait! You have 10 days left on your subscription! Are you sure you want to cancel now?"

Just in case I needed it for something else, I figured I might as well not cancel yet and throw away 10 days I paid for. So I said no.

Fast forward to today. There's only 2 days left, so I cancelled.

Same message came up, "Wait! You have 2 days left. Are you sure you really want to cancel now?"

I said yes, knowing I wouldn't be using it in the next 2 days, so I had no issue throwing those days away.

Once cancelled, it said, "Okay, your auto-billing has been turned off, and your subscription will expire in 2 days."

So wait a minute... here they were trying to trick me into thinking that I'd lose the remaining days I paid for if I cancelled the auto-billing, and then once I actually turn it off, it turns out they do NOT cancel my remaining days? So that entire message was a trick to prevent people from cancelling, hoping they forget when he deadline comes?

Dirty.

Seriously fuck them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    I swore off shopping apps the first time I tried it a few years ago, because everything seemed to be marked up 30%. Sneaky way to hide the true delivery/convenience fees.

Anyway I tried out Shipt today and the experience was fantastic. Regular store pricing, plenty of time slots, $10 delivery fee, the shopper was courteous and didn't fuck anything up.

With a $15 tip, it works out to ~8% vig on a $300 grocery bill. 100% worth saving an hour+ of my time, nevermind the reduced exposure to covid. I might continue using this when it blows over.
    Wish they did Costco. Sounds like a way better service than shitty Instacart.

Load Metric
    There's only 2 days left, so I cancelled.

Same message came up, "Wait! You have 2 days left. Are you sure you really want to cancel now?"

I said yes, knowing I wouldn't be using it in the next 2 days, so I had no issue throwing those days away.

Once cancelled, it said, "Okay, your auto-billing has been turned off, and your subscription will expire in 2 days."

So wait a minute... here they were trying to trick me into thinking that I'd lose the remaining days I paid for if I cancelled the auto-billing, and then once I actually turn it off, it turns out they do NOT cancel my remaining days? So that entire message was a trick to prevent people from cancelling, hoping they forget when he deadline comes?

Dirty.

Seriously fuck them.
    Pretty much almost every monthly online subscription service works this way, no? (I'm not justifying, just surprised you haven't seen this before, from almost everyone.)

Amazon prime does this, most of the streaming video services do, Netflix, Hulu, WWE Network, UFC Fightpass, ESPN+, etc. They are almost never gonna give you a pro-rated refund, so they just tell you over and over that you will lose your membership benefits, but they never say when. If they don't mention a refund, then you can be pretty confident you will get the rest of the paid-for month. I have very few subs I let run forever, so I often sign up for, and cancel, services within 10 minutes. You still get the full month regardless. Mostly...

Here's a service you'll never have to deal with, but you'd hate if you did. Once or twice a year, I sub to New Japan Pro Wrestling World, for their big new years shows, and sometimes another one or two during the year. They sell subs by the month, and they cancel you when you cancel them. Example: They run their yearly big shows on 1/4, or 1/5 here. I buy the month on 1/4, and they let you know your shit ends at 1/31, not 2/4. A week after the show, if nothing is coming up that month, I cancel so I won;t forget to later, and they turn your shit off immediately.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    There's only 2 days left, so I cancelled.

Dirty.

Seriously fuck them.
    Pretty much almost every monthly online subscription service works this way, no? (I'm not justifying, just surprised you haven't seen this before, from almost everyone.)

Amazon prime does this, most of the streaming video services do, Netflix, Hulu, WWE Network, UFC Fightpass, ESPN+, etc. They are almost never gonna give you a pro-rated refund, so they just tell you over and over that you will lose your membership benefits, but they never say when. If they don't mention a refund, then you can be pretty confident you will get the rest of the paid-for month. I have very few subs I let run forever, so I often sign up for, and cancel, services within 10 minutes. You still get the full month regardless. Mostly...

Here's a service you'll never have to deal with, but you'd hate if you did. Once or twice a year, I sub to New Japan Pro Wrestling World, for their big new years shows, and sometimes another one or two during the year. They sell subs by the month, and they cancel you when you cancel them. Example: They run their yearly big shows on 1/4, or 1/5 here. I buy the month on 1/4, and they let you know your shit ends at 1/31, not 2/4. A week after the show, if nothing is coming up that month, I cancel so I won;t forget to later, and they turn your shit off immediately.
    Maybe I have seen it before, but this is the first time I remember it being this blatantly misleading. It tells me the exact number of days I have left, and warns me not to cancel for that reason. I was actually pretty shocked when the cancellation didn't actually rob me of those days (which, come to think of it, might have been illegal for them to do).

Anyway, I put in a request for a refund for the Instacart Express service I just had, because it was misleading. And seriously, it was. Had they been honest about the fact that they upcharge Costco deliveries compared to their exact same service through costco.com, I wouldn't have bought the Instacart Express, which is supposed to be a money-saving subscription.

It's not like I just found a competing service which is cheaper, and am now crying foul. That wouldn't be justified, obviously. When they're doing the Costco deliveries and upcharging me because I go through their direct site instead of Costco's site (plus making me subscribe to a monthly service to avoid the delivery charge), that's a lot of bullshit.

Legal, but bullshit and very customer unfriendly.

We'll see if they refund the month of Instacart Express I paid for. I'm guessing they won't. I'm not going to put up a huge fight over this, but it just annoys me that I was tricked into buying a service I not only didn't need, but ended up costing me extra money on top of it.

Thread Information