Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and Sports

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I assume something like the new XFL had their fail trajectory put from two years into its already dead. So calendar specific and sports calendars are all shook up now and appear like they’ll continue to be.
    aaaaaand it's dead.

Load Metric
    This new MLB plan to realign teams for this season only into divisions according to the location of their spring training facilities sounds interesting. Most players have a residence near their spring training sites rather than do the Arizona hotel thing. Intensive daily testing would, of course, be a prerequisite and certainly no fans allowed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/5128935002/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    This new MLB plan to realign teams for this season only into divisions according to the location of their spring training facilities sounds interesting. Most players have a residence near their spring training sites rather than do the Arizona hotel thing. Intensive daily testing would, of course, be a prerequisite and certainly no fans allowed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/5128935002/
    First of all, that bolded part is completely not true.

Secondly, this almost certainly won't happen. I know the owners want to salvage some TV money, and plenty of players (especially the majority of young ones) just want to make some money, but its a logistical nightmare if the virus is still a threat. There will be big union issues with this. Wouldn't be surprised to see several vets/stars try to not play and rather stay home with their families for safety reasons.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah I didn't think of that, but some players are near 40, and those guys may not be on board with taking such a risk.

Load Metric
    Until the virus passes or a vaccine, sports are effectively dead. With one exception, horse racing which is thriving now. The action online is huge. I lost $500 today but was a red **** hair from winning many thousands because the pools were so huge. I'll try again in a couple days. Long shots seem to be surging at the moment probably because there are no crowds, the environment is different.

Diamond
    Load Metric

Comments

Tellafriend: And it’s gone - his career

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah I didn't think of that, but some players are near 40, and those guys may not be on board with taking such a risk.
    This, ironically from Peter King's football column, dealing with the spring training idea:

"I have my third child due in June. If this ‘bubble’ in Arizona was going to happen starting in May, you’re trying to tell me I’m not going to be able to be with my wife and see my kid until October? I’m going to go four or five months without seeing my kid when it’s born? I can tell you right now that’s not going to happen.”
    —Ryan Zimmerman of the Washington Nationals, in a column written for the Associated Press with AP writer Howard Fendrich.

Comments

LegalizeMeth: he can go see his kid he just cant come back
    Last edited by gut; 04-14-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    This, ironically from Peter King's football column, dealing with the spring training idea:

"I have my third child due in June. If this ‘bubble’ in Arizona was going to happen starting in May, you’re trying to tell me I’m not going to be able to be with my wife and see my kid until October? I’m going to go four or five months without seeing my kid when it’s born? I can tell you right now that’s not going to happen.”
    —Ryan Zimmerman of the Washington Nationals, in a column written for the Associated Press with AP writer Howard Fendrich.
    This sounds more like false bravado once he realizes that this might be an incomeless year. You can never get that year back in an age sensitive profession. I think that the spring training idea is the best and most realistic of the two very imperfect possibilities. Of course, the union will bitch and they can present the options to its members: either play or don't get paid. Tell that to all the guys who are pre-free agency eligible and playing for short money by the standards of MLB contracts. Many of them come from incredibly impoverished families in Latin America. The $170 million that was negotiated even if the season never starts and would be divided between all players is less than just the Phillies payroll for 2019.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/mlb-...eason-pay.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...aseball-teams/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    Name:  73bb896913f693b10a6ba6b6c04bd82d.png
Views: 480
Size:  956.3 KB

Name:  5d4d92b748e3de3178a667fc43d4f2b2.png
Views: 498
Size:  482.9 KB

Comments

MumblesBadly: That Black guy in the audience proves beyond any doubt that Trump is racist and is 100% comfortable appealing to white racists for support.

Load Metric
    This sounds more like false bravado once he realizes that this might be an incomeless year. You can never get that year back in an age sensitive profession. I think that the spring training idea is the best and most realistic of the two very imperfect possibilities. Of course, the union will bitch and they can present the options to its members: either play or don't get paid. Tell that to all the guys who are pre-free agency eligible and playing for short money by the standards of MLB contracts. Many of them come from incredibly impoverished families in Latin America. The $170 million that was negotiated even if the season never starts and would be divided between all players is less than just the Phillies payroll for 2019.

True, but guys who were much more poor and had much less reason to holdout (aka: Le'Veon Bell) have done so before. I seriously would guess that maybe 50% of the "star" level guys in MLB would play....and that might be an optimistic guess. Then, the legitimacy of the season in the fans eyes comes into play. Are people going to watch if the best players aren't playing? Would Nationals fans consider the season a proper title defense if Strasburg, Scherzer, and the aforementioned Zim all stay home?

The "season" would have a bigger asterisk than any asterisk in MLB history, and would be written off as a AAA season in the history books. Not a good look.

Load Metric
    At the end of the day, I think the cancellation of games/reduction of schedule (already happening) and then playing like normal in normal cities but with empty arenas is the most half-ass you can pull-off. Anything more is just a logistical nightmare for all involved and the end result might be worse than just cancelling all-together.

Comments

JohnCommode: This would be the best solution if it did not involve an incredible amount of travel and the permission of all those governors in some 20 states. The Arizona or Arizona/Florida solutions only involve 1 or 2.

Load Metric

$139.9 Million of carear earnings tends to empower you to make some decisions.

Comments

gut: not counting sponsorship money, as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    I'll predict this doesn't happen.

Comments

Shizzmoney: ditto
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    According to a report from John Ourand and Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, NFL execs have discussed this plan that includes a season that starts in October and ends at the end of February, 2021.

A Super Bowl that kicks off on Feb. 28.
    A regular season that starts as late as Thursday, Oct. 15.
    An NFL season with no bye weeks or Pro Bowl.
    The NFL could shift the schedule for two early weeks to the end of the season. A third week would have teams against opponents with the same bye week, so that week could be erased and all regular-season bye weeks would be eliminated.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-schedule.aspx

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    According to a report from John Ourand and Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, NFL execs have discussed this plan that includes a season that starts in October and ends at the end of February, 2021.

A Super Bowl that kicks off on Feb. 28.
    A regular season that starts as late as Thursday, Oct. 15.
    An NFL season with no bye weeks or Pro Bowl.
    The NFL could shift the schedule for two early weeks to the end of the season. A third week would have teams against opponents with the same bye week, so that week could be erased and all regular-season bye weeks would be eliminated.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-schedule.aspx
    theyre never ever never ever never ever never ever gonna do this, but what makes the most sense is 14 regular season games...6 against your division and 8 more against your conference...this would allow for bye weeks...they're never giving up two weeks of revenue however...

makes me wonder if the product is gonna be complete shit without the bye weeks...unless they expand the rosters by like 4-6 guys to account for it...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Am I the only one who just watched an entire Korean baseball league game?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Am I the only one who just watched an entire Korean baseball league game?
    The only one over 5'2".

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    In this case no, know your fan base.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Thread Information