Thread: Dude plays like a lady: Winner of $30k Women's Platinum Pass on Pokerstars was actually male

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Dude plays like a lady: Winner of $30k Women's Platinum Pass on Pokerstars was actually male

In recent years, Pokerstars has been giving away something called a "Platinum Pass" as part of different promos, which includes a seat to a $25k-buyin live tournament, along with $5000 worth of hotel/flight/expense benefits for the trip.

They have an event planned for August 2020 in Barcelona, which may or may not take place, given the coronavirus situation.

On March 8, they held a special women's only tournament to win the Platinum Pass:

Don’t forget, women also have another chance to win a Platinum Pass at PokerStars on International Women’s Day this Sunday (March 8) in the Women’s Sunday tournament.

The event will award a Pass to the highest-placing female, with two €1,050 PSPC direct qualifier tickets going to the second- and third-placed females.

To celebrate 25 years of International Women’s Day, and to ensure more players can take part in this weekend’s celebration, the buy-in has been cut by more than half to $22, and features one rebuy. Players must be female to play in the tournament and have their gender assigned as female in the “Settings” tab. Females who would like to assign their gender can contact PokerStars Support.
    https://news.pokerstarsblog.com/en/n...um-pass/61543/

The tournament was won by someone named "ameliaroy007", a regular winner on the site. Second place was a female Pokerstars Pro, who was already getting a Platinum Pass. Third was a female recreational player named Senja.

Senja recently posted this on Instagram:

I played $ 22 women’s tournament on international women’s day on PokerStars.

There was $ 30 000 Platinum pass added to the prize pool for the winner. It includes $ 25 000 buy-in to live tournament, flights, hotel, events and some money to cover expenses. After many hours of playing I end up to be 3rd out of around 500 buy-ins. I was very proud of this, even though Tapio was mostly just annoyed that I didn’t win.

Well, last Saturday I got some news. The winner was disqualified, since she turned out to be he. The second one was PokerStars pro-player, and she already had a Platinum Pass. So, the next one was me. Now I have $ 30 000 live tournament package. Next August I’ll be playing poker with professionals in Barcelona (if the corona doesn’t postpone the event).

My experience with poker is minimal, under 10 tournaments and just few hours of cash games online, but not at all live games. All of my gaming counted together might be around 100 euros. Well, now I know what I’m studying these next 5 months. I still can't believe this, and I'm scared like crazy.. let's start hunting the 6 million with thousand other players. #pspc #pokerstars #unbelievable @pokerstars
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Fht6Ql...d=yi4u2zvftytm

It's not clear how Stars investigated, but they ended up determining that, yes, ameliaroy007 was male. Supposedly people complained because ameliaroy007 was a regular, yet wasn't a known female pro player, so people got suspicious. Indeed, it looks like either "amelia" switched his gender to female for the event, or was always listed as female.

However, for some reason they did not ban this account for what he did, and instead just confiscated the $30k Platinum Pass. It also appears that he was allowed to keep the prize money, as Senja only got the $30k Platinum Pass, but did NOT appear to have been moved up to second place prize money, as would be expected if ameilaroy007 were disqualified.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In case you're worried about girly-man ameilaroy007, you'll be happy to know that he finished 2nd in the $109 Sunday Wrap-Up on April 5.

He was 2nd out of 487, and cashed $6,353.60.

What a happy ending to this touching story!

Load Metric
    My theory Druff is he probably thought gender is so fluid nowadays that he could claim to be identifying as Female & it just happened to coincide with this event that has basically 30K in added equity for first on a very low buy in tournament.

Stars probably said he could get the pass if he got the gender reassignment surgery. At that point he made the decision that wasn’t worth the 30K in equity & they met in the middle and still paid him.

In all seriousness Stars kind of swept what happened here under the rug? What will be interesting to see is with the likely postponement or cancellation of this event what will stars do with the platinum pass holders.

I’ve been isolated for a while so of course I have a theory. They are not going to give these people 30K in cash. Most of the platinum pass holders would gladly take 20K cash rather than play the event in the first place under normal conditions. I think Stars will take advantage of that fact. They will not cancel the event they will most likely indefinitely postpone it. That way they can leverage the pass holders into either holding on to it indefinitely until the event is held or cash it out on say 50 cents on the dollar & take 15K or so. I can’t see them just giving everyone 30K in their accounts.

Load Metric
    Maybe he signed up originally as a women to get more action. Women get called way more often, and it’s harder for them to bluff. One piece of advice for women: Never, ever try to bluff a Hispanic male in a cash game. They will call 100% of the time. They’d literally rather lose their entire wad than their masculinity.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Maybe he signed up originally as a women to get more action. Women get called way more often, and it’s harder for them to bluff. One piece of advice for women: Never, ever try to bluff a Hispanic male in a cash game. They will call 100% of the time. They’d literally rather lose their entire wad than their masculinity.
    Makes sense.

Load Metric
    So (because of boredom) I’m just going to make this about player tendencies re: sex, race, region, economics. My ranking of east Asian players, worst to first:

Koreans. By far the worst. There is only one thing better than a Korean on tilt, a drunk Korean on tilt.

Chinese. Play by intuition and genuinely believe in luck. Love to gamble and get their money in there, which can actually be an asset in no limit, but is fatal in limit games.

Japanese. Literally right in the middle. No tendencies. Not as many as other nationalities. Same with Thailand and lesser extent Vietnam.

Laotians and Cambodians. Stone cold killers out to take your money. These guys grew up under conditions Americans can’t even imagine. They know the value of a dollar. A lot of Cambodians end up dealers for some reason. The Laotian guys all seem to own donut shops. Some of my toughest opponents have been from Indochina. I learned a lot from them, but those lessons weren’t free

Load Metric
    no one remembers ashley the grinder on carbon network a n overweight dude

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    no one remembers ashley the grinder on carbon network a n overweight dude
    He's HeyItsMark275 on Twitter

Actually a nice guy despite his earlier gender bending antics online.

Thread Information