Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OH MY!!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not good.

Name:  royal-quads.png
Views: 553
Size:  189.5 KB

I had the queens. This guy has tortured me today.

Comments

shoeshine box: I would never play another hand on there... in all may gambling life , a lonnngggggg time. seen lotta hands.... I never go back to that club.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Flop was okay.

Name:  flop-straightflush.png
Views: 669
Size:  188.0 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Flop was okay.

Name:  flop-straightflush.png
Views: 669
Size:  188.0 KB
    So do you fire away and raise or wait for the turn?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Was heads up. He 3-bet pre.

I raised the flop, which is the smartest thing to do there because it can mean a shitload of things, and typically your opponent doesn't trust it. You'll even get called down with K high or worse sometimes, as they fear I have something like 97 with a club.

Obviously you hope they improve and then start pounding you. If you come out firing on the flop, another advantage is that they never give you credit for having flopped a monster, thinking that nobody would raise like that.

So I raised the flop, he called. He check/called turn, and check/called river. He had A high and the turn/riv were unexciting (no club, nothing likely to change much), so I got what I could.

In general, you don't slowplay in limit holdem. The only exceptions to this are when you suspect your opponent has absolute shit and will fold to aggression, or when you are in a multiway hand and you can get extra money by roping them all in on the turn, and then check-raising everyone. But the latter has loads of risk to it, such as the players checking behind on the turn, and such as letting people in with weird hands which can end up beating you, such as backdoor straight and flush draws.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This one was pretty amazing:

4-handed 30/60 limit holdem

UTG is overaggro semidonk
    BB is a very good pro,

I'm dealt As2s on button.

UTG raises, I 3-bet, SB folds, BB 4-bets, both of us call.

Pot: $375

Flop: Kd3d4s

I have backdoor flush draw & gutter. BB bets ($30), both of us call.

Pot: $465

Turn: Ts

I've picked up nut flush draw now, and still have that gutshot draw.

BB bets ($60), UTG raises, I call, BB 3-bets, UTG 4-bets! I call, BB calls. I pray for a non-paired spade or a 5.

Pot: $1185

River: 7s

BB checks. UTG bets. I raise. BB thinks awhile, and finally throws in the $120 to call. UTG calls.

Obviously I win with the nuts, but what did they have? BB had TT and turned middle set, whereas UTG had KK and flopped top set. Wow!!!

Final pot: $1545

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    This one was pretty amazing:

4-handed 30/60 limit holdem

UTG is overaggro semidonk
    BB is a very good pro,

I'm dealt As2s on button.

UTG raises, I 3-bet, SB folds, BB 4-bets, both of us call.

Pot: $375

Flop: Kd3d4s

I have backdoor flush draw & gutter. BB bets ($30), both of us call.

Pot: $465

Turn: Ts

I've picked up nut flush draw now, and still have that gutshot draw.

BB bets ($60), UTG raises, I call, BB 3-bets, UTG 4-bets! I call, BB calls. I pray for a non-paired spade or a 5.

Pot: $1185

River: 7s

BB checks. UTG bets. I raise. BB thinks awhile, and finally throws in the $120 to call. UTG calls.

Obviously I win with the nuts, but what did they have? BB had TT and turned middle set, whereas UTG had KK and flopped top set. Wow!!!

Final pot: $1545
    Obv BB flopped a set, He’s got KK or AA, maybe AK, but you’ve got an Ace, but even so, there’s zero chance we’re folding here for one bet. Query: If BB bets and UTG raises, do you call here knowing it might be 3 or 4 bets to see the turn? I’m probably folding here.
    Last edited by Jayjami; 03-25-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Obv BB flopped a set, He’s got KK or AA, maybe AK, but you’ve got an Ace, but even so, there’s zero chance we’re folding here for one bet. Query: If BB bets and UTG raises, do you call here knowing it might be 3 or 4 bets to see the turn? I’m probably folding here.
    I'm folding the flop if UTG raised it. I'm sure he thought of that when his top set got cracked on the river for this massive pot.

This is one of several reasons why you shouldn't slowplay in limit holdem. There simply isn't enough after-the-flop value in doing so, and you also can often get more action by putting your raises on the flop, which mean much less than turn raises. People are much more willing to raise the turn than re-raise the turn, so you actually want to let them do the initial turn raise, which will occur more often if you pound it on the flop. (Also, many players stupidly think that nobody plays a big hand strong on the flop!)

I would have folded the river if I hit the ace. No chance that was good between two players going all those bets on the turn. River was a raise-or-fold situation for me, depending upon what fell.

Thread Information