Thread: Junkie misconceptions

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Junkie misconceptions

I could not speak with authority on this subject without being through two similar experiences. Detox

I'm an admitted alcoholic. Nothing new. Gave myself up to detox, not once but twice. There is shame involved in the process, double or more for having to go back.

But that is not the issue. In detox you meet every person you would not otherwise. Every kind of addict. Street born heroin, meth, crack addicts. Some fit the stereotypical minority, in this case indigenous, others high functioning members of the majority.
    That was the most shocking thing to me, people who had reached levels of success we would all hope for were there with me.

The one constant among all I met, was a level of intelligence. There were no dullards. Once they detoxed from their problem they were a delight.

Unfortunately detox is just a life saving environment. It doesn't change the world you go back to.

p.s. on second thought there were a few wack jobs
    Last edited by limitles; 03-10-2020 at 03:53 AM.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric

Comments

limitles: that is so sweet god bless

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Drunks are the absolute worst ... bet it sucks having your family hate you eh Les ?

Comments

4BET: Monkey

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've actually known a lot of addicts and alcoholics over time who manage to function normally for awhile, holding respected positions or careers.

Eventually it all comes crashing down, but it amazes me how some of them get by undetected for so long. I've especially known a number of doctors and lawyers like this. Imagine getting one of these doctors performing surgery on you. That's just one of several reasons surgery scares me.

I'm glad that it was never part of my makeup to want to drink or use drugs. I believe that much of it is hereditary whether it appeals to you or not, and of course it's a wide range. I'm all the way at the "no appeal" end.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sah_24 View Post
    Drunks are the absolute worst ... bet it sucks having your family hate you eh Les ?
    Drunks can be the worst but most aren't and most aren't drunk all the time.

When your natural character sucks then it's really the worst. Good luck with that

Comments

gauchojake: lol

Kuntmissioner: there's helpless, and there's hopeless

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    I could not speak with authority on this subject without being through two similar experiences. Detox

I'm an admitted alcoholic. Nothing new. Gave myself up to detox, not once but twice. There is shame involved in the process, double or more for having to go back.

But that is not the issue. In detox you meet every person you would not otherwise. Every kind of addict. Street born heroin, meth, crack addicts. Some fit the stereotypical minority, in this case indigenous, others high functioning members of the majority.
    That was the most shocking thing to me, people who had reached levels of success we would all hope for were there with me.

The one constant among all I met, was a level of intelligence. There were no dullards. Once they detoxed from their problem they were a delight.

Unfortunately detox is just a life saving environment. It doesn't change the world you go back to.

You are without a doubt the worst poster in that last 10 years. Please do society a favor and jam two individual tacks (or small inch nails) into each of your eyeballs so you cannot see a computer any longer.

Comments

Muck Ficon: A drunk....yelling at a drunk lol.

sah_24: not even close ...

splitthis:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

You are without a doubt the worst poster in that last 10 years. Please do society a favor and jam two individual tacks (or small inch nails) into each of your eyeballs so you cannot see a computer any longer.
    Name:  kisss.gif
Views: 380
Size:  2.49 MB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Bro it’s not your fault. Living in a shithole like Canada could drive anyone to the bottle.

Thread Information