Thread: Guy running for judge in LA County legally changes his name to "Judge" in order to fool voters

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Guy running for judge in LA County legally changes his name to "Judge" in order to fool voters

On the surface, the March 3 judicial race for Los Angeles County District 76 seems mundane and standard.

It features a prosecutor, Emily Cole, versus a former judge and attorney from another California county, Mike Cummins.

However, Cummins pulled a really nasty ballot trick I haven't seen before, and it's sadly legal.

Cummins submitted a name change request in San Luis Obispo County, which is about 200 miles northwest of Los Angeles. He asked for his legal name to be changed from "Mike Cummins" to "Judge Mike Cummins". As justification, he wrote that he wanted to "advance professional opportunities". Amazingly, the name change was approved, and apparently the judge who approved it didn't ask enough questions.

Cummins was last a judge in 2006. He retired then, and became a private practice attorney, before ending that career in 2017. Los Angeles County ballot laws required him to be listed as a retired attorney, rather than a retired judge, because he attorney was his last long-running profession.

This name change allowed him to be listed on the ballot as "Judge Mike Cummins", thus giving voters the impression that he's either an incumbent judge or an active judge elsewhere -- which of course isn't true.

Slick little scam, huh?

And amazingly, it's legal. Election officials tried to find justification to list him as "J. Mike Cummins", but could not find legal precedent to do so. All candidates have a right to be listed by their full legal name.

Indeed...

Name:  cummins.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  54.3 KB

Cole has attempted to campaign against Cummins regarding this shady move. Not sure how effective it will be. Pretty amazing that one can get away with this.

I'll give the guy points for creativity. No fucking way I'd vote for him, though.

Load Metric
    Didn’t Eddie Murphy make a movie where he moved to some town and ran for office because he had the same name as the recently deceased popular politician.. This reminds me of that.

Load Metric
    Similar story, probably less sinister though.

Alexander Hamilton is suing Hudson County, New Jersey

Vernon Alexander Hamilton filed to run for the Board of Education as Alexander Hamilton.

Clerk rejected it so he sued and won then won the seat.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    On the surface, the March 3 judicial race for Los Angeles County District 76 seems mundane and standard.

It features a prosecutor, Emily Cole, versus a former judge and attorney from another California county, Mike Cummins.

However, Cummins pulled a really nasty ballot trick I haven't seen before, and it's sadly legal.

Cummins submitted a name change request in San Luis Obispo County, which is about 200 miles northwest of Los Angeles. He asked for his legal name to be changed from "Mike Cummins" to "Judge Mike Cummins". As justification, he wrote that he wanted to "advance professional opportunities". Amazingly, the name change was approved, and apparently the judge who approved it didn't ask enough questions.

Cummins was last a judge in 2006. He retired then, and became a private practice attorney, before ending that career in 2017. Los Angeles County ballot laws required him to be listed as a retired attorney, rather than a retired judge, because he attorney was his last long-running profession.

This name change allowed him to be listed on the ballot as "Judge Mike Cummins", thus giving voters the impression that he's either an incumbent judge or an active judge elsewhere -- which of course isn't true.

Slick little scam, huh?

And amazingly, it's legal. Election officials tried to find justification to list him as "J. Mike Cummins", but could not find legal precedent to do so. All candidates have a right to be listed by their full legal name.

Indeed...

Name:  cummins.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  54.3 KB

Cole has attempted to campaign against Cummins regarding this shady move. Not sure how effective it will be. Pretty amazing that one can get away with this.

I'll give the guy points for creativity. No fucking way I'd vote for him, though.
    He changed his legal name to include “Judge” two years ago before running in San Luis Obispo County judgeship election. He might as well get as much mileage out that name-change as he can.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...194569759.html

Comments

Dan Druff: interesting
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Didn’t Eddie Murphy make a movie where he moved to some town and ran for office because he had the same name as the recently deceased popular politician.. This reminds me of that.
    Yeah I thought of that too.

"The Distinguished Gentleman" from 1992.

Mediocre movie, but yeah, this does indeed remind me of it.

Load Metric
    Democratic candidate Representative Tulsi Gabbard is now changing her name to President Tulsi Gabbard.

Comments

Kuntmissioner: 1,

SPIT this: she'll still get 1%

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

The trick didn't work. "Judge" Mike Cummins got crushed.

JUDGE OF THE SUPERIOR COURT Office No. 76
    Candidate(s) Votes Percent
    EMILY COLE (N) 579,769 83.26%
    JUDGE MIKE CUMMINS (N) 116,565 16.74%

Thread Information