Thread: Barbara Corcoran of "Shark Tank" loses $388,000 to e-mail scammer

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Barbara Corcoran of "Shark Tank" loses $388,000 to e-mail scammer

Here's the story: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sh...000-2020-02-27

Basically someone impersonated her assistant by creating an e-mail address very similar to that assistant, and then e-mailed Corcoran's bookkeeper to pay a supposed German company $388,000.

The scammers also knew that Corcoran had real estate holdings, and justified the request by claiming that she had invested in real estate in Germany. The money was supposedly being wired to an actual German real estate investment firm, but the bookeeper was instructed to send it to Asia (lol). The bookeeper fell for it and shipped the money.

She'll survive, though, because she's supposedly worth $80 million.

Laughably, she claimed she "would have made the same mistake" as the bookkeeper. Unbelievable that it's so easy to trick certain rich idiots to wire you almost $400k.

The IP was based out of China, of course.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    score of a lifetime

scamming is a way of life for many chinese
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    It looks like she got the money back

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...164043327.html
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    It looks like she got the money back

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...164043327.html
    I’m being a nit today about language but who wrote the headline of that article about scammers return money. They didn’t return shit. The bank grabbed it.

Comments

jsearles22: Agreed

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    you know one of the scams the chinese run.

the government run traffic infractions and things like this. they encourage peeps photographing drivers doing illegal things, then mail them penalties of the infractions that they need to pay.

as a reward the person that caught them gets to share in the money they send in. so all over china there are teams of scammers trying to run u off the road or get you to enter a lane that you shouldn't be in, while scammer car two takes a pic of you doing it.

pretty lucrative gig
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Yes I saw this. She is signing a ton of checks could easily see this happening. Glad she got money back if true. Chinese are the new nigereans.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Yes I saw this. She is signing a ton of checks could easily see this happening. Glad she got money back if true. Chinese are the new nigereans.
    The Chinaman is not the issue here Dude. I'm talking about unchecked aggression.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Several years ago the city I live in was scammed for I think it was around 50 or 60k.

Yup, the city government.

I don't remember 100% of the details but basically:

- city government emails were hacked by scammers

- The scammers noticed a few key emails between contractors hired by the city and the city administration for work that was done or being done.

- the scammers impersonated the contractors and city employees via fake email addresses.

-they then used the city email addresses to impersonate & communicate with certain real city employees to send payments for contractor work performed to a specific account.

-this account was obviously the scammers account but by the time thd city government realized their grave error, the scammers disappeared with the loot. If I remember correctly they were overseas somewhere but I'm not sure where.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Several years ago the city I live in was scammed for I think it was around 50 or 60k.

Yup, the city government.

I don't remember 100% of the details but basically:

- city government emails were hacked by scammers

- The scammers noticed a few key emails between contractors hired by the city and the city administration for work that was done or being done.

- the scammers impersonated the contractors and city employees via fake email addresses.

-they then used the city email addresses to impersonate & communicate with certain real city employees to send payments for contractor work performed to a specific account.

-this account was obviously the scammers account but by the time thd city government realized their grave error, the scammers disappeared with the loot. If I remember correctly they were overseas somewhere but I'm not sure where.

This happened to the City of Edmonton, Alberta Canada:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-agency-375000
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information