Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep the change!!! What is your limit?

Load Metric

Keep the change!!! What is your limit?

Today I went through a drive-thru and my total came up to $7.94. I handed the clerk $8 and she immediately said "Thank you" and shut the window.

I waited there for another 30 seconds or so and she opened the window and said "pull forward please"

I asked for my $0.06 and she kind of rolled her eyes but gave it to me.

Personally i would have even waiter for a penny.

My wife and I rarely ever spend change as we save any loose change we get each year and every year cash it in for our anniversary date night. Its added up to anywhere between $300-$500 a year.

A side note, but kind of the same topic.

I absolutely hate when I go to a restaurant and pay my bill and the waitress brings me back my change, minus the coins. Say my change should be $4.14 but she brings me back $4...thinking ill most likely leave the $0.14 anyway.....this is a quick way to get a $0 tip from me!!!

Whereas if she'd bring me back exact change she'd get a normal tip, and I've even tipped more than what i normally would if they round it up (say its $4.89 but they give me $5)

Comments

Kuntmissioner: To each their own, I guess

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post
    Today I went through a drive-thru and my total came up to $7.94. I handed the clerk $8 and she immediately said "Thank you" and shut the window.

I waited there for another 30 seconds or so and she opened the window and said "pull forward please"

I asked for my $0.06 and she kind of rolled her eyes but gave it to me.

Personally i would have even waiter for a penny.

My wife and I rarely ever spend change as we save any loose change we get each year and every year cash it in for our anniversary date night. Its added up to anywhere between $300-$500 a year.

A side note, but kind of the same topic.

I absolutely hate when I go to a restaurant and pay my bill and the waitress brings me back my change, minus the coins. Say my change should be $4.14 but she brings me back $4...thinking ill most likely leave the $0.14 anyway.....this is a quick way to get a $0 tip from me!!!

Whereas if she'd bring me back exact change she'd get a normal tip, and I've even tipped more than what i normally would if they round it up (say its $4.89 but they give me $5)
    I agree this is annoying, even for a few pennies, because it's not their place to take it.

I don't even think it's a nasty scheme to steal from you. They're just lazy.

I've never complained about this, but I have asked for the change if the person is still there (such as a cashier).

On a larger scale, customer service type employees will often be cavalier with other people's money. The funniest one was when a hospital billed me incorrectly, and they wanted $640 instead of $520. The billing rep was a moron, couldn't figure it out, and just wanted the call to be over. Eventually she said, "I don't see why it's such a big deal. $520 is a lot and $640 is a lot, so why not just pay the $640?" I told her that if $120 is nothing, then I'll be happy to drop the matter if she paid the $120 difference for me. She shouted at me, "I ain't payin' yo' bills!"

Fun times.

Load Metric
    I'll pay with a credit card, and thank you for the 4.5% cash back.

Comments

Sheesfaced: This is the correct answer. Would make for a much better anniv night too

tony bagadonuts: Correct

Walter Sobchak: Bingo

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    5% if you use the US Bank Cash+ card.

Load Metric
    6 cents is ok to let it go imo. Especially if the rest of your experience was fine.

If less than x% of people get pissed, there's an element of efficiency that you can be used to rationalize your laziness. If they leave the window open to get the change, most customers will feel obligated to wait even though they'd prefer to be on their way.

Then again, there's a decent chance they pocketed the cash and just didn't want to give the change bc they'd have to ring it up to open register.

If they treated me like shit leading up to the cash exchange, and I was in a rare mood, I might do the same thing Ahoosier did out of spite, but I would definitely feel bad about it later.

Never worked in a fast food place, I've had some shitty hospitality jobs though, and that shit grinds you down. Getting treated like shit by a guest can literally fuck up your entire shift mentally.

Can't imagine how shitty it would be to work a fast food drive up.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post

I love when dolts like you take it out on the server... as opposed to the restaurant which at this point in time probably doesn't even have dimes, nickels, or pennies.

Guess those poor-folks have to possibly sacrifice a bit of their own money for the hope of getting it back from quality customers like yourself.

Load Metric
    I’m not sure id have waited for the .08 but it would have rubbed me the wrong way for about 6.3 seconds.

My take on the change in the restaurant (in the USA) is round up the change. So if it’s 23.25 and the customer leaves a $100 give them back $77 (if you don’t have the .75). It’s a better look and I’m def giving the extra $1 at the end which means you end up with the free .75. You take the .25 I’m probably also rounding down on principle

Load Metric
    Drive thrus they should give you back every cent no matter what.

Load Metric
    I always pay by credit now, I keep 5 $20 bills in my wallet at all times for an emergency (i.e. earthquake shuts downs systems). Money is filthy and generally handled by poor people who are not clean, so why and the fuck would you ever handle cash and then eat a cheeseburger?

I get massive amount of points using my AMEX card. I have 780 credit and it's great to get back monies which I really deserve for being a productive citizen.

As far as using cash and saving the pennies I might do that with my credit card and figure out a way to give it to a homeless person.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Have another box of wine....

splitthis:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    I get massive amount of points using my AMEX card. I have 780 credit and it's great to get back monies which I really deserve for being a productive citizen.

780 is hardly anything to brag about baw.

826 here

Name:  dFlpB7Z.gif
Views: 263
Size:  948.2 KB

Load Metric
    In a drive thru situation, I want anything quarters or above back. I have use for quarters. Car washes, vending machines, toll booths, etc. I just drive ahead without waiting for less than a quarter. That’s just shit I’ll end up having to clean out of my car.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

780 is hardly anything to brag about baw.

826 here

Name:  dFlpB7Z.gif
Views: 263
Size:  948.2 KB

Got me by 7 you bastard

Load Metric
    I asked for a penny back once and the lady said, wouldn’t want to forget your penny. I replied, you don’t make enough to give away pennies, she got really mad. Thankfully I had my food before our exchange.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    most people may know that these cards with "cash back", "air miles" the fees normally are paid by venders... in the US these fees plus carrying fee can and is charged back to the customer especially at gas stations where there is a much lesser price if using cash or debit card.
    I guess if you are using a company CC for purchases it may not really matter but be sure the CC fee is built in to the price of what is being purchased.
    In Canada it is quite a bit different, venders with card CC enabled readers are NOT allow to charge back fees or refuse high percentage or any CC it is Illegal and could be charged as a federal tax crime.

Because of this A lot of smaller companies have been refusing cards meaning if they have a card reader it is only set up for debit cards which has no fees and not for credit cards.
    A few years ago Walmart canada refused to take visa cards as they felt the fees were to high, of course visa relented. but the little guy gets the middle finger.

after learning this i use debit or cash when using small busness services.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post

most people may know that these cards with "cash back", "air miles" the fees normally are paid by venders... in the US these fees plus carrying fee can and is charged back to the customer especially at gas stations where there is a much lesser price if using cash or debit card.
    I guess if you are using a company CC for purchases it may not really matter but be sure the CC fee is built in to the price of what is being purchased.
    In Canada it is quite a bit different, venders with card CC enabled readers are NOT allow to charge back fees or refuse high percentage or any CC it is Illegal and could be charged as a federal tax crime.

Because of this A lot of smaller companies have been refusing cards meaning if they have a card reader it is only set up for debit cards which has no fees and not for credit cards.
    A few years ago Walmart canada refused to take visa cards as they felt the fees were to high, of course visa relented. but the little guy gets the middle finger.

Businesses giving cash discounts is really rare. I pretty much never see that at gas stations here. Mom and pop places might do it, but they're mostly doing it to evade taxes not to save on CC fees. Big businesses actually usually prefer credit card transactions even though they have to pay a fee. The fee they pay is smaller than the shrink they pay when they take cash. That's why there's actually been a trend towards some businesses only taking CCs and not accepting cash. Sweetgreen did this for a while, but social justice warriors were upset that it discriminated against poor people like Ahoosier.

Load Metric

Businesses giving cash discounts is really rare. I pretty much never see that at gas stations here. Mom and pop places might do it, but they're mostly doing it to evade taxes not to save on CC fees. Big businesses actually usually prefer credit card transactions even though they have to pay a fee. The fee they pay is smaller than the shrink they pay when they take cash. That's why there's actually been a trend towards some businesses only taking CCs and not accepting cash. Sweetgreen did this for a while, but social justice warriors were upset that it discriminated against poor people like Ahoosier.
    Yes very understandable for large and medium companies to use CC,s instead of cash even if it is just to prevent employees from being tempted to steal something other than product which every company suffers from a bit of internal theft.
    I am also fairly certain that companies that use CC,s for payment charge at least the fee in the cost of the goods.

interac-etransfers is the future in paying bills and trading money.
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 02-22-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

This isn't true.

Yes, credit card fees for vendors are higher than debit card fees, but the "category bonuses" are eaten by the bank of the cardholder, not by the merchant.

Otherwise it wouldn't be fair to the merchant whenever certain banks decide to give 5% back on certain categories of purchases.

The category cards exist in order to entice people to use the card, and they figure that they'll make back the money on interest and fees for most customers. They lose money on people like me and SPIT This who just get the 5% and never pay interest/fees. However, they don't lose too much, as they cap the amount you can get back per month or quarter.

I was told by a restaurant owner that American Express had the highest fees for small purchases, as they charge the merchant something like a flat dollar right off the bat, plus a percentage, which sucks for them when they specialize in cheap takeout and the average purchase is under $20.

Silver
    Load Metric
    I was at a bar recently and ordered a beer from the cocktail waitress. She brings it and I hand her a $20. She asks if I need change. I said yes. She returns and hands me $16. I couldn’t believe she tried to get a $16 tip on a $4 beer. I would understand if I handed her a $5 but pretty pretentious to think I’m gonna tip her $16.

Druff - you know I’m a fellow cheap Jew, although I think you are a bit cheaper than me. Say you go to dinner and use a BUY ONE GET
    ONE FREE coupon. The bill comes to $50 but without the coupon it would have been $80. Assuming service and food was fine, how much of a tip do you leave?

Comments

MumblesBadly: Great question!

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Once again the UK wins out. £4.99 and you pay with a fiver, you get the penny back 100% of the time.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post
    I was at a bar recently and ordered a beer from the cocktail waitress. She brings it and I hand her a $20. She asks if I need change. I said yes. She returns and hands me $16. I couldn’t believe she tried to get a $16 tip on a $4 beer. I would understand if I handed her a $5 but pretty pretentious to think I’m gonna tip her $16.

Druff - you know I’m a fellow cheap Jew, although I think you are a bit cheaper than me. Say you go to dinner and use a BUY ONE GET
    ONE FREE coupon. The bill comes to $50 but without the coupon it would have been $80. Assuming service and food was fine, how much of a tip do you leave?

1. she would not have rec'd a tip for that stunt if it were me.

2. odd, but I typically do 15% of the average. go figure.

Thread Information