Thread: NFL season in jeopardy

Load Metric

NFL season in jeopardy

Some interesting facts. NfL wants to increase playoffs for 2 additional teams and increase by 1 game the regular season. Players would get 1 percent of revenues.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Greedy motherfloppers! (Angry emoji)

Load Metric
    no, it's not.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Some interesting facts. NfL wants to increase playoffs for 2 additional teams and increase by 1 game the regular season. Players would get 1 percent of revenues.
    Uhh if the CBA passes it’ll mean a 1.5 increase from 47 to 48.5% of gross revenues to the players which means 5BILLION dollars in cap money overall. It also would increase the rosters I believe to 55. Overall the math comes out to almost an avg iof 3M more per player over the life of the cap. Yeah there’s not gonna be a problem.

Owners have passed it. The player reps vote soon if it passes with 21 votes it goes to the whole players group and needs just a majority.

Load Metric
    I don't like an odd number of games, then you don't have equal home and away.

Solution: go to 18 games with 2 bye weeks per season. Super bowl is last weekend in February.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Solution: go to 18 games with 2 bye weeks per season. Super bowl is last weekend in February.
    If they do the 17 game season, 1 game should be at a neutral site (London, Mexico City, etc).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    any qb predictions.....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric

On twitter DJ MacKinnon offered what I thought was the best solution - 16 games and 2 bye weeks per team

that way the NFL gets that additional week of TV revenue, and teams don't have to play an odd number of games

and not only do the players not have to risk injury and wear and tear on their bodies, they get an additional by week to recover

it makes so much since it's stupid this hasn't already been decided
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Make me commish a day and I’d have said 18 game regular season. Each team gets 2 bye weeks (so 20 total) Get rid of preseason and have each team do a week away at another’s facility for training like the patriots and a few other teams do. Take the current cap and gross it up by 1/9th. Now go to TV and negotiate for 3/20ths more $$. Then expand rosters by 3-4-5 players per team.

If you wanted to “get creative” and the players insisted on no more games then leave the above alone and have a rule that every player can dress for 16 of the 18 games.... but then the cap should be for incremental new players rostered.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Make me commish a day and I’d have said 18 game regular season. Each team gets 2 bye weeks (so 20 total) Get rid of preseason and have each team do a week away at another’s facility for training like the patriots and a few other teams do. Take the current cap and gross it up by 1/9th. Now go to TV and negotiate for 3/20ths more $$. Then expand rosters by 3-4-5 players per team.

If you wanted to “get creative” and the players insisted on no more games then leave the above alone and have a rule that every player can dress for 16 of the 18 games.... but then the cap should be for incremental new players rostered.
    yeah they definitely need to do this even with what they are doing now...17 games plus expanded post season...I mean the toll that 16 games plus playoffs takes on these guys is fucking nuts...

I get the owners are billionaires and they didn't get there by giving away shit, but I have a feeling that their product is gonna start going to shit if they don't expand rosters...I mean look what happened with the eagles at the end of last year...ward was probably their #1 WR by the last part of the season and I don't even know if he was on the team on week 1 and if he was he was like the 5th/6th WR...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

yeah they definitely need to do this even with what they are doing now...17 games plus expanded post season...I mean the toll that 16 games plus playoffs takes on these guys is fucking nuts...

I get the owners are billionaires and they didn't get there by giving away shit, but I have a feeling that their product is gonna start going to shit if they don't expand rosters...I mean look what happened with the eagles at the end of last year...ward was probably their #1 WR by the last part of the season and I don't even know if he was on the team on week 1 and if he was he was like the 5th/6th WR...
    Ward was part of the AAF lol

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: WOW/Did Not Know That Rep

Load Metric
    I think I would prefer to keep it to 16 games, just for statistical record accuracy, but that has already kind of been blown out of the water by the passing revolution/limiting the defense. Has been 41 years since the 14-to-16 games bump. Otherwise, I like the 17 game with every team having 1 on a neutral site idea. Mix in some classic college stadiums with that. I wouldn't fret much if not though, as home-field advantage barely exists in the regular season anymore. Last season, the entire league was only ~8 games above .500 at home....the 12 playoff teams were 6 games BELOW .500 at home!

I like the added veteran exception (like NBA's MLE) being added, along with the 2 extra roster spots and 2 extra practice squad spots.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Uhh if the CBA passes it’ll mean a 1.5 increase from 47 to 48.5% of gross revenues to the players which means 5BILLION dollars in cap money overall. It also would increase the rosters I believe to 55. Overall the math comes out to almost an avg iof 3M more per player over the life of the cap. Yeah there’s not gonna be a problem.

Owners have passed it. The player reps vote soon if it passes with 21 votes it goes to the whole players group and needs just a majority.
    Average per player means shit in the NFL. The superstars will almost surely suck up the lion’s share of the increased salary cap. But the longer season will increase the risk of career damaging injuries for the non-superstar starters during each season. And with the extra season roster player and the superstars capturing most of the cap increase, this change will likely result in a wash for the non-superstars’ expected career earnings.

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Gotta Give It To Mumbles/Spot On Point Rep

dwai: not his opinion, was obviously read somewhere else, stay out of sports threads
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

On twitter DJ MacKinnon offered what I thought was the best solution - 16 games and 2 bye weeks per team

that way the NFL gets that additional week of TV revenue, and teams don't have to play an odd number of games

and not only do the players not have to risk injury and wear and tear on their bodies, they get an additional by week to recover it makes so much since it's stupid this hasn't already been decided
    How quickly people forget. They did in 1993 and it was a disaster for ratings and the teams complained that they lost momentum.

Load Metric
    Unrelated, but I remember about 15 years or so ago NBA player lamented the 17 million for a year was poverty wages and he had a family to feed. Previous till that he choked coach Calhoun . Anyone remember who this was?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Unrelated, but I remember about 15 years or so ago NBA player lamented the 17 million for a year was poverty wages and he had a family to feed. Previous till that he choked coach Calhoun . Anyone remember who this was?
    Latrell Spreewell

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: correct you get gold star

Load Metric
    Here's the data I don't like.

2 bye weeks is crap because....

My 9ers are .800+ when not playing off a bye and .250 when.

Losing momentum and sync is a real thing. In 93 the league tried this and teams hated it.

2 bye weeks is trash.

Load Metric
    NFL adding games (more product) in response to XFL?
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    NFLPA has a serious problem on their hands. The executive committee can’t even speak in anything remotely unified the vote was 6-5 against recommending the new CBA so they literally are divided down the middle. They’ve already decided to just let the vote proceed. Sure guys on the top end don’t care and would prefer not to have more games and such but it’s the bottom feeders who are like well shit if I’m not gonna last long that extra 90k a season is gonna be nice bonus. The unique nature of the league and avg career span vs upper tier guys who last long enough to qualify for a pension is where the divide is and will likely remain. Guys like JJ Watt can’t relate to the guy who’s on his 3 team in 4 yrs and just trying to hang on long enough to have something to walk away with to start a new career after football

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    NFLPA has a serious problem on their hands. The executive committee can’t even speak in anything remotely unified the vote was 6-5 against recommending the new CBA so they literally are divided down the middle. They’ve already decided to just let the vote proceed. Sure guys on the top end don’t care and would prefer not to have more games and such but it’s the bottom feeders who are like well shit if I’m not gonna last long that extra 90k a season is gonna be nice bonus. The unique nature of the league and avg career span vs upper tier guys who last long enough to qualify for a pension is where the divide is and will likely remain. Guys like JJ Watt can’t relate to the guy who’s on his 3 team in 4 yrs and just trying to hang on long enough to have something to walk away with to start a new career after football

This. 80% of the $$ going to 20% of the players.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Exactly. Greedy owners can go fuck themselves.

Thread Information