Thread: Moviefone is bankrupt and is being run by one employee... and has no phone number anymore

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Moviefone is bankrupt and is being run by one employee... and has no phone number anymore

Can you believe this shit was bought in 1999 for $388 million by AOL? They couldn't see it coming that a phone-based service was going to be obsolete soon? I guess AOL -- also soon to be obsolete -- was an appropriate buyer.

https://www.slashfilm.com/moviefone-...-one-employee/

In a memorable Seinfeld series of scenes, Kramer pretended to be the Moviefone guy when people accidentally called him. I actually beat Kramer to the joke. Around 1994, I used to make prank calls to people where I pretended to be Moviefone calling them, claiming that it was a new service it was doing. Since I could recognize touch tones by pitch, I could actually respond to the numbers pressed, and I did a good enough imitation of the voice to where people believed it. Then I'd start saying outrageous things and see how long it took for people to figure out it was a prank.

Currently Moviefone operates on moviefone.com, and seems worthless, despite supposedly being valued at over $4 million.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: hystrical show

Load Metric
    do you have any musical background, druff? Every learn any instruments?

I know you have plenty of phone tone background, with the phreaking and the pranks and the whatnot, and what appears to be a pretty good memory, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could quickly get a good sense of relative pitch. Maybe even perfect pitch, wouldn't totally surprise me, but that's a thing you would likely already know about. You seem like a guy who could learn a few dozen guitar chords or a few piano chord forms, and be able to play a massive number of songs, campfire acoustic style.

I remember when you announced (I think I remember anyway) your son's conception/birth/something you did so to an acoustic guitar, but my memory says it was your gf who played, but I could be wrong.

Finally, 1917 is a one trick pony nobody will ever watch twice, since I fingered a movie post was worthwhile.

Thread Information