Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dune by Frank Herbert

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

As written the fremen were a very patriarchal culture.
    Liet-Kynes's father wasn't Fremen, he was an Off-worlder. Accepted by Fremen, married a Fremen, seen as a prophet by the Fremen, but not Fremen. Hardly seems weird at all that someone in that position would have their only child follow in their footsteps.

Also, just became official, Part 2 is a go.

Downloaded the torrent ... extremely underwhelmed given all the hype. I haven't read the books but vaguely knew what it was about. I liked some things ... the desert planet Arrakis looks great and there was a real sense of scale with the outdoor scenes. Many things made little sense though ... a civilization which possesses interstellar travel and anti-gravity technology which can suspend space-ships is still settling disputes by hand-to-hand fighting? And can't eradicate sand-worms from their fabulously valuable mining operations? No-one puts in a bad performance but Rebecca Ferguson stands out as a great actress. Everyone else ... meh.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnFanningsLimpDick View Post
    Downloaded the torrent ... extremely underwhelmed given all the hype. I haven't read the books but vaguely knew what it was about. I liked some things ... the desert planet Arrakis looks great and there was a real sense of scale with the outdoor scenes. Many things made little sense though ... a civilization which possesses interstellar travel and anti-gravity technology which can suspend space-ships is still settling disputes by hand-to-hand fighting? And can't eradicate sand-worms from their fabulously valuable mining operations? No-one puts in a bad performance but Rebecca Ferguson stands out as a great actress. Everyone else ... meh.
    FWIW, the movie doesn't go into this, but this universe is set in a post apocalyptic future after humans went to war with AI (Terminator style), and ultimately won, but had to start over with AI prohibited. Also, noone uses guns because the guns they have (lasers) create nuclear explosions when they hit the shields. I don't remember all the details, but there are strict rules to warfare, which the Harkonnens and Emperor (who hasn't even been introduced yet, but is a major character) broke a lot of when they attacked the Atreides, which is one of the reasons the Baron has to make sure no Atreides lives to tell the tale.

But yeah, Dune is actually much more fantasy than sci fi, and you just have to suspend disbelief and accept the weird mix of advanced and primitive technology, and the rationale for it. The thing that makes Dune great is the world building, the characters and the intrigue of the story itself. I think the movie was ok, but doesn't really do the book justice. It is especially light in the character building. For example 2 characters which get A LOT more development in the book, but are barely in the movie, are Dr. Huey and Piter, the Harkonnen's mentat. The Baron himself is also super underdeveloped so far, but I assume they will focus on him more in the next movie.
    Last edited by Kalam; 10-27-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Load Metric
    I watched this last night, and the entire first act and about 60% of the second act is just a cluster fuck and basically unwatchable. That being said, the story does even out and finish pretty strongly. The biggest problem with this movie is the casting of the main character - Hollyweird once again casts an effeminate, basically tranny to star in a movie as a supposed leader of men (or in general leading man), this wouldn't be quite as bad if the androgynous dweeb was actually believable as a leading man in any capacity or had an acting range beyond looking concerned and vulnerable. It's such a miscasting that I don't think I'd watch the sequel under any circumstances. I know the character is supposed to be young etc., but that doesn't mean 5'8", 110lbs and OSA masturbation material. I think the movie he is most known for is the adaptation of a gay love story novel, Call Me By Your Name. No one can question this nonsense without being labeled homophobic. Hollywood is dying, can't help but wonder why.

Load Metric
    Name:  MV5BMzBlMWQ4MDMtMWEzNy00MWJiLWI2ZDgtZjBkOTkwMTFlOTNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQTNwaW5nZXN0._V1_.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  107.8 KB

Powerful.

Load Metric
    maaaaaaaajor book and probably film spoiler discussion here....:

so the worm 'recognizing' him instead of eating him... i havent read the first book in a bit but did that happen originally? or is it an incredibly sneaky easter egg about him wanting to take the film to at least (and logically beyond) the final moments of the 2nd to last book...

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    true story; i collect early editions of this series.

quick update; i run extremely good at books.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Name:  F64E973B-0F70-4F99-AC86-1C4D9D670B61.jpeg
Views: 244
Size:  106.5 KB

Name:  FE9F684F-518B-47F4-A619-0FA2BCD2A229.jpeg
Views: 236
Size:  250.9 KB

Load Metric
    aaaaand look at the timeline this post literally caused the pandemic

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    aaaaand look at the timeline this post literally caused the pandemic
    I must not get the jab. The jab is the mind-killer. The jab is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my vax. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the vax has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Load Metric

Comments

Tellafriend: can't wait

country978: enjoyed

Load Metric
    why if it isnt franklin jerome herb in the building tighten it up tine

Load Metric
    Seeing Dune 2 tonight with the kunt and a heavy dose of gummy. Pretty fuckin psyched.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Seeing Dune 2 tonight with the kunt and a heavy dose of gummy. Pretty fuckin psyched.
    Not sure gummy is the play given the density.

First time I saw Dune 1 in IMAX was transcendent, still kind of in disbelief as to how good it is.

Going Friday

Comments

OK2: you're a pussy brain anxiety faggot stfu
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Brother, it's the ONLY play, imo

Comments

Krypt: gummies are great

Sheesfaced:

Load Metric

First time I saw Dune 1 in IMAX was transcendent, still kind of in disbelief as to how good it is.

Going Friday
    lmfao god ur a dork… the first movie was ass AND I WANTED to like it, I really did.

Comments

OK2: tantrum time

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post

Going Friday
    lmfao god ur a dork… the first movie was ass AND I WANTED to like it, I really did.

i really liked it!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post

Going Friday
    What didn't you like?

Or are you just regurgitating some psuedointellectual babble you read about in between bites of kebab?

Guessing you also had 'issues' with Solaris, and don't *even get you started* on 2001?

Cool story faggot

Comments

OK2: stable husband and father behavior here
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Kneel, cucks. It's fucking sick.

Even most of the old retards will appreciate it in IMAX

Thread Information