Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dune by Frank Herbert

Load Metric

Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune is the best selling Sci-fi novel of all time. Movie adaptation by Denis Villeneuve (directed Blade Runner 2049, Sicario, Arrival) slated to be released December 2020. Not much about the film is really known, as no images of the actual film have been released yet. But just a few days ago, some preview footage was shown to a small group of industry insiders and has already been hailed as “epic.” According to one of the viewers:
    As a follow-up re my opinion on new Dune based only on the footage I saw (since people are curious), I think this will blow people away the way LOTR did 20 years ago, the way Star Wars did 40 years ago. It's not Jodorowsky or Lynch, but maybe Villeneuve has filmed the un-filmable.
    Of course this won’t be the first time Dune fans have been cockteased. Alejandro Jodorosky’s Dune is often cited as the greatest movie to never have been made, and was the subject of an award winning documentary. Nevertheless, David Lynch finally the sci-fi masterwork in the 80’s and received mixed reviews (at best). Now we’re left with Villeneuve’s vision and direction. The music will be done by Hans Zimmer and the cast is certainly composed of an eclectic bunch. Here’s what we know as of now:

Name:  r4sv4gki6qm21.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  548.3 KB

Comments

Crowe Diddly: A most consequential thread.

Load Metric
    true story; i collect early editions of this series.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    cuz of course you do

Load Metric
    ALSO MORE LIKE FRANK NERDBERT ZING POW KABLAM

Load Metric
    Brolin, Bautista, Momoa!

This movie is going to do incredible, the acting will be next level, calling Oscars right now.

Load Metric
    questionable.

its an intensely difficult book to do justice to, least of all in 4 hours, doubly least of all because the core message isnt even really revealed until God Emperor of Dune and in theory that's like 8 hours of film away.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Please watch:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Please watch:

i own a signed copy of the script he wrote for this.

it would have had very little to do with the book. he had his son wandering around the universe doing karate. which is fine. salivodor dali as the emperor would have also been fine. it would have been a real fun ride, basically. but as an homage to the book? we kinda ducked a bullet.

Load Metric

this guys depth of knowledge on all things dune (and all things GoT btw) demonstrates perfectly why aspies must be treasured.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: This channel is awesome, had never seen it before, ty

Load Metric
    so jace and some geeky iranian who had to pay for sex at 19 both love dune

UH STORY CHECKS OUT

Load Metric
    The DOS game was fun.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    slowly remembering this movie, didn't Sting play a gaylord in a tight leather onezie?

Krypt hoping his eyes turn blue after a overdose of "spice"

all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    nothings going to ruin this movie faster for me than america's finest claiming its ripping off star wars.

Load Metric
    great story frank herb

Comments

sonatine: UH OH

Load Metric
    Sci-fi nerds? Servants of the Wankh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    listening to this on Audible and enjoying it so far; anyone have other good audiobook suggestions? I’ve heard good things about Stephen King’s The Stand.

Load Metric
    that quinn guy stans tf out for Hyperion Cantos. saving the audiobook for my first tesla road trip.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    listening to this on Audible and enjoying it so far; anyone have other good audiobook suggestions? I’ve heard good things about Stephen King’s The Stand.
    The Stand was good. I also liked Salem's lot, the dark tower series, the Witcher series, game of thrones. All of those are much better than the tv shows/movies. I really liked the pillars of the earth series. George Martin has written a lot of other books and short stories that are really good and not related to game of thrones. There are a lot of his good short stories collected in a book called Dreamsongs. Highly recommend it. These are all on audible.

Load Metric
    Read Dune last week, maybe 2-3 decades late for me, but fuck it, I only read the LotR books a few years ago, and I've been plugging a lot of classic book holes in recent reading years. Anyway, enjoyed it a good deal. I could leave it as a stand alone book and be happy and move on to American Gods and all the Neil Gaiman books I've never read, or I could plow into the full series, or I could read other Dune universe shit, which there seems to be plenty of.

Are the next 5 Dune books as good? I googled to find the general order I should read shit if I go whole hog on it, and read this description on one page.

Like a lot of people, I read Dune and it thought it was awesome. Then, I didn’t want it to stop, so I keep on reading. Two books later, it was not as good as it was, so I took a break. After a long while, I thought I might pick up where I left off, thinking I would be easy. Wrong, things get more complicated the further you go in the series.
    On one hand it seems to be saying I already read the best one, forget about the rest, but the 'more complicated the further you go' part intrigued me, because that can go either way. I don't read stoned anymore, so I can connect dots fairly well and I'm not afraid to google shit or look back when I clearly don't remember/understand something. The first few pages of Dune had about 100 words/phrases/things nobody could understand, but we got there soon enough, so I wouldn't call that overly complicated, more initially complicated. Everything they brought up was eventually explained. I almost don't care how much new complicated shit each following book brings so long as the series itself ends satisfactorily, and ties up at least a good portion of everything. I'll even take an ending that's like the Dark Tower series, where the ending is just back at the beginning again, an almost complete cop-out, except with the hope/foreshadowing that everything is gonna work out right this time. An artfully done non-ending, a grand cop-out that we all could understand, and enjoy.

Is the series worth it? Or should I cherry pick a few, or move on to other shit?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Read Dune last week, maybe 2-3 decades late for me, but fuck it, I only read the LotR books a few years ago, and I've been plugging a lot of classic book holes in recent reading years. Anyway, enjoyed it a good deal. I could leave it as a stand alone book and be happy and move on to American Gods and all the Neil Gaiman books I've never read, or I could plow into the full series, or I could read other Dune universe shit, which there seems to be plenty of.

Are the next 5 Dune books as good? I googled to find the general order I should read shit if I go whole hog on it, and read this description on one page.

Like a lot of people, I read Dune and it thought it was awesome. Then, I didn’t want it to stop, so I keep on reading. Two books later, it was not as good as it was, so I took a break. After a long while, I thought I might pick up where I left off, thinking I would be easy. Wrong, things get more complicated the further you go in the series.
    On one hand it seems to be saying I already read the best one, forget about the rest, but the 'more complicated the further you go' part intrigued me, because that can go either way. I don't read stoned anymore, so I can connect dots fairly well and I'm not afraid to google shit or look back when I clearly don't remember/understand something. The first few pages of Dune had about 100 words/phrases/things nobody could understand, but we got there soon enough, so I wouldn't call that overly complicated, more initially complicated. Everything they brought up was eventually explained. I almost don't care how much new complicated shit each following book brings so long as the series itself ends satisfactorily, and ties up at least a good portion of everything. I'll even take an ending that's like the Dark Tower series, where the ending is just back at the beginning again, an almost complete cop-out, except with the hope/foreshadowing that everything is gonna work out right this time. An artfully done non-ending, a grand cop-out that we all could understand, and enjoy.

Is the series worth it? Or should I cherry pick a few, or move on to other shit?

the point of the series isnt even made until the 4th book. if you can gut through #2 and #3 you're in for a fucking treat.

#5 is ... good.

ignore everything after; herbert's wife died after #5 and he never recovered and passed shortly thereafter. his son "found" a "safe" with "notes" in it which he claims he used to write 2 more books that are generally not considered canon and are considered dreadful trash.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: more rep for Quinn's Ideas

Thread Information