Load Metric
    Name:  BDE853B9-678C-4C77-A15E-A8DD8EA0C26E.jpeg
Views: 358
Size:  115.4 KB

Comments

Cerveza Fria: Rotfl

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Got through first 20 pages yesterday. Def has my attention. Haven't read a fiction book since college, but I might actually get through this one.

Everytime they mention Paul, I envision Timmy shirtless with a boner. Am I the only one?

Go Timmy.

Load Metric
    its funny, a whole new generation is basically being compelled to read dune and a great many of them are finding out the hard way that it is not in fact a tom clancy novel.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Got through first 20 pages yesterday. Def has my attention. Haven't read a fiction book since college, but I might actually get through this one.

Everytime they mention Paul, I envision Timmy shirtless with a boner. Am I the only one?
    The Atreides can fuck, of that I'm quite confident. Alia would have her way with all of us, and we'd all love it, regardless of standing or situation or preference.

Started a re-read of the series a week ago, because I ran through the 6 books pretty fast the first time, now I can read them with a timely understanding of them, in some sense. I'm like 4 chapters into Children Of Dune rn.

It's weird how Dune Messiah is maybe the best explanatory book of the series (for backstory I mean. I think book 4 gives the most understanding of the series), short as hell and not enticing, but full of info and significance. I both love it and still look at it as an interstitial somehow, and not a great reading book (perhaps longer would have been better in this case? I never say or think that, but maybe this time...), but a super-necessary book. And I think it kinda sucks as far as pulling in the reader, but it also has the goodwill of the already sucked-in readers who would read anything after Dune. If sonatine hadn't lumped book 2 and 3 together as a path to book 4, I wonder if I would have finished them. Super happy I did.

My inebriated memory holds book 4 in a shining light that few other books occupy. I think it'll be better the 2nd time around.

krypt and 'tine, I feel like I owe you guys real life beers and/or drugs or at least great burgers or similar. you fucks made my ilfe better by suggesting Dune.

Load Metric
    christie's just appraised my 1st edition at $2000 on the low end.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Christie the only hooker who does incalls to western new york

Load Metric
    i assure you there are others

Load Metric
    yea but the only one who doesnt have you on her no list

Load Metric
    Got tix for tomorrow nite at 8. 720p pirate release made them last minute jump a day, after months of release confusion anyway. Fine by me.

I'm planning on being thoroughly edibled for this one. Edibles and coffee I think.

Load Metric
    Got IMAX tickets for tomorrow night, am psyched.

Villenueve has always hit for me and my expectations are high.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    The new Dune movie was out on pirate sites on October 17th.

It is better than the Dune 1984 version.

It looks great and it should look even greater in IMAX.

This is just part one.

Load Metric
    Fire. See it in IMAX.

Adapted to the screen about as well as I could have imagined, pulling almost no punches and holding no hands.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Saw this last night with the kunt. I've read the books, he's heard of the books, both of us were pretty happy to be going to the movies again for the first time in a while. Also, edibles.

Was a smaller theater room, proabbly like 50 of the good, reclinable seats with the attached table you can swing in front of you. Easily less than 20 ppl in the theater, maybe only a dozen, I didn't really look around. Blockbuster new release in a mostly empty theater. Fine by me.

It's a serious, ponderous, vibe, but fuckin' A, they're actually telling the story!!! All the shit that people wondered about how they were gonna pull off, like the personal shields and the Voice, they fucking nailed it. Love the Kurtz-vibe of the Baron. I thought we got a little too much of a weak Jessica, crying and appearing helpless at times, for the first half plus of the movie, rather than stressing just how powerful the Bene Gesserit witches really are as individuals. We got some of that power when her weirding ways were seen in the fight, but this is a minor quibble. I like how the visions were generally done. The 'thopters looked awesome, the worms were overwhelming as they should be, loved pretty much all of it.

Hans Zimmer hates silent moments. The score was omnipresent.

Fun stuff. Recommended.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Saw this last night with the kunt. I've read the books, he's heard of the books, both of us were pretty happy to be going to the movies again for the first time in a while. Also, edibles.

Was a smaller theater room, proabbly like 50 of the good, reclinable seats with the attached table you can swing in front of you. Easily less than 20 ppl in the theater, maybe only a dozen, I didn't really look around. Blockbuster new release in a mostly empty theater. Fine by me.

It's a serious, ponderous, vibe, but fuckin' A, they're actually telling the story!!! All the shit that people wondered about how they were gonna pull off, like the personal shields and the Voice, they fucking nailed it. Love the Kurtz-vibe of the Baron. I thought we got a little too much of a weak Jessica, crying and appearing helpless at times, for the first half plus of the movie, rather than stressing just how powerful the Bene Gesserit witches really are as individuals. We got some of that power when her weirding ways were seen in the fight, but this is a minor quibble. I like how the visions were generally done. The 'thopters looked awesome, the worms were overwhelming as they should be, loved pretty much all of it.

Hans Zimmer hates silent moments. The score was omnipresent.

Fun stuff. Recommended.
    Still shook a day later; again, see this one in IMAX if you can.

I've only going the IMAX route a handful of times, this easily takes the cake.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: i think I probably will. Good looking out.

Load Metric
    this was…different

they really slow rolled everyone with the Dune PART 1

I wasn’t aware I was going into an almost 3hr movie that doesn’t provide any closure

Kurtz vibes fo sho

would probably have been better as a series

Comments

gimmick: haven't seen it, but wouldn't expect anything less
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    I would be supremely happy if Denis Villeneuve did nothing else but work on Dune movies for the rest of his life.

Mostly thru the second watching on HBOMax. I love that we've not even seen the Emporer yet. I love that we've twice seen the hooks needed to ride the worm, but no riding just yet. I love that, even tho I knew the story and my brother didn't, that we both got a full movie experience out of half a great book. I love how they portrayed Jamis, both in real movie time and in the visions. And of course, I absolutely loved the desert mice.

The single out of place thing I can say I saw was the Shadout Mapes offering Jessica the knife, and re-sheathing it without drawing blood. All the Fremen cut their hands or back of theor arms before sheathing their crysknifes later on, so the rule was known and acknowledged, but so it is.

My 2 favorite book to movie adaptations are now Dune and No Country For Old Men.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    I would be supremely happy if Denis Villeneuve did nothing else but work on Dune movies for the rest of his life.

Mostly thru the second watching on HBOMax. I love that we've not even seen the Emporer yet. I love that we've twice seen the hooks needed to ride the worm, but no riding just yet. I love that, even tho I knew the story and my brother didn't, that we both got a full movie experience out of half a great book. I love how they portrayed Jamis, both in real movie time and in the visions. And of course, I absolutely loved the desert mice.

The single out of place thing I can say I saw was the Shadout Mapes offering Jessica the knife, and re-sheathing it without drawing blood. All the Fremen cut their hands or back of theor arms before sheathing their crysknifes later on, so the rule was known and acknowledged, but so it is.

My 2 favorite book to movie adaptations are now Dune and No Country For Old Men.
    SPOILERS

You are ok with Kynes being a woman? Dune isn't Lord of the Rings, where the female characters really are only accessory, and it makes sense to plump them up a little. There are plenty of important female characters. That seemed completely unnecessary to me, and doesn't fit at all with the patriarchal structure of the Imperium and Fremen society.

Also, the lack of internal dialogue really does cause a lot of value to be lost IMO. For example, I thought the old version with the internal dialogue did a lot better job of recreating the experience of the Jam Gabbar than this version did.
    Last edited by Kalam; 10-26-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

SPOILERS

You are ok with Kynes being a woman? Dune isn't Lord of the Rings, where the female characters really are only accessory, and it makes sense to plump them up a little. There are plenty of important female characters. That seemed completely unnecessary to me, and doesn't fit at all with the patriarchal structure of the Imperium and Fremen society.

Also, the lack of internal dialogue really does cause a lot of value to be lost IMO. For example, I thought the old version with the internal dialogue did a lot better job of recreating the experience of the Jam Gabbar than this version did.
    I don't think it makes a hair's of difference in the end that Kynes was a woman in the movie, tbh. So she maybe ends up being revealed as Chani's mother instead of father at some point, if they even decide to tell that part of the tale, but they also might not even delve into that at all, and she's already dead anyway. Short of that, the rest of the story holds up just fine regardless of gender. You could swap out her for him in the movie, and change no dialogue at all, and everything is fine. As it turns out, the lady who played Kynes did an awesome job, I thought. Was it a necessary change? No. Was it a detrimental change? No. Is it likely to be consequential in any way down the line? No. After seeing it, I have no complaints at all about it.

As for the gom jabbar scene, I think the new version is very much superior. First off, Paul resisting the Voice in the old one as opposed to his immediate uncontrolled reaction to it in the new one is night and day difference, with the new one a LOT better IMO. Not even close. As for internal dialogue, in the old gom jabbar scene, the only internal dialogue is Paul reciting the Litany of Fear, something his mother does outside the door in the new one with Paul clearly thinking and reciting it in his mind at the same time. This shared internal dialogue is vastly superior to the old version as it shows clearly the connection between Paul and Jessica. There's no extra explanation at all in the old one as you claim, no needed exposition that the old one had that the new one needed, so I'm not sure how that (pretty much nonexistent) internal dialogue made the old one better than the new one.

Last gom jabbar thoughts: in the old one, the Rev Mother stopped the test when Paul yelled out about the pain and it seemed he could take no more. That's not the feel of the book at all. In the new one, Paul screams, is told to stfu, then has to endure and then, somehow, DEFEAT the pain and the box, and the Rev Mother stops the test when it becomes clear to her that Paul is frightfully powerful and may very well be The One, despite being tested more than anyone else has ever lived thru.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 10-26-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

SPOILERS

I don't think it makes a hair's of difference in the end that Kynes was a woman in the movie, tbh. So she maybe ends up being revealed as Chani's mother instead of father at some point, if they even decide to tell that part of the tale, but they also might not even delve into that at all, and she's already dead anyway. Short of that, the rest of the story holds up just fine regardless of gender. You could swap out her for him in the movie, and change no dialogue at all, and everything is fine. As it turns out, the lady who played Kynes did an awesome job, I thought. Was it a necessary change? No. Was it a detrimental change? No. Is it likely to be consequential in any way down the line? No. After seeing it, I have no complaints at all about it.

As for the gom jabbar scene, I think the new version is very much superior. First off, Paul resisting the Voice in the old one as opposed to his immediate uncontrolled reaction to it in the new one is night and day difference, with the new one a LOT better IMO. Not even close. As for internal dialogue, in the old gom jabbar scene, its only Paul reciting the Litany of Fear, something his mother does outside the door in the new one with Paul clearly thinking and reciting it in his mind at the same time. This shared internal dialogue is vastly superior to the old version as it shows clearly the connection between Paul and Jessica. There's no extra explanation at all in the old one as you claim, no needed exposition that the old one had that the new one needed, so I'm not sure how that internal dialogue made the old one better than the new one.

Last gom jabbar thoughts: in the old one, the Rev Mother stopped the test when Paul yelled out about the pain and it seemed he could take no more. That's not the feel of the book at all. In the new one, Paul screams, is told to stfu, then has to endure and then, somehow, DEFEAT the pain and the box, and the Rev Mother stops the test when it becomes clear to her that Paul is frightfully powerful and may very well be The One, despite being tested more than anyone else has ever lived thru.
    As written the fremen were a very patriarchal culture. There is a reason that Kynes father raised him to follow in his work and lead the Fremen, and Chani was raised by Kynes to be a concubine (I am exaggerating, she wasn’t raised specifically to be a concubine, but she also wasn’t being raised to take on a “male” role and take over her fathers work).

Making the character female makes no sense at all in context of how the society was designed by Herbert and the story was written. If that doesn’t bother you that is fine.

Thread Information