Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dune by Frank Herbert

Load Metric
    I enjoyed 2, and it was pretty short in comparison to 1 and 3. Went into 3 with low expectations, and came out the better for it. I'll definitely be on to book 4 in the next few days. I generally like when sci-fi and fantasy blur into each other, and this is definitely as much fantasy as sci-fi, IMO. I might even read book 1 again soon, I imagine it will be even better the 2nd time.

One thing I wanna do now is watch the original Star Wars movies again. I had read that Lucas was a big Dune fan, but I had no idea what that meant, really. Now, it might be the only thing I see the next few times I watch them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I enjoyed 2, and it was pretty short in comparison to 1 and 3. Went into 3 with low expectations, and came out the better for it. I'll definitely be on to book 4 in the next few days. I generally like when sci-fi and fantasy blur into each other, and this is definitely as much fantasy as sci-fi, IMO. I might even read book 1 again soon, I imagine it will be even better the 2nd time.

One thing I wanna do now is watch the original Star Wars movies again. I had read that Lucas was a big Dune fan, but I had no idea what that meant, really. Now, it might be the only thing I see the next few times I watch them.

at the risk of outting myself (more) as a total obsessive ive read the entire series several times. its simply peerless, even with its flaws and somewhat open ending. something that struck me on subsequent reads is how dense it is; i would be so saturated with what happened on page X that by page X+2 i was still kinda skimming because i was still wrapping my head around implications etc. on re-reads, i was able to really focus on the dips as well as the peaks, and even more of their universe came into view.

looking forward to you chiming in here (spoilers, so avoid until done):

https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...he-Dune-series
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I’ve never seen or read dune. Started to look into it a bit and I keep reading “Rambaling and Incoherent” as descriptors of the book.

This off base and just a “hard read”

Load Metric
    its a challenging read, but most outlier caliber incredible books are. its got nothing on cormac mcarthy for example.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    about to reread blood meridian

Comments

Kuntmissioner: right on cue

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Dune is probably my favorite standalone book. I read it about once every 5-10 years or so. Read the other books once as a kid but dont really remember anything. At some point I listened to the prequel stuff his son did on audiobook, so vaguely know some of the backstory. I vaguely remember the most interesting one was the House Corrino one focusing on the backstory of the Emperor and Fenring.

Looking forward to the movie. I hope they are just going to stick to the script and dont alter it to make it woke. There are a couple strong women characters, so hopefully that will be enough for the wokegentsia.

Load Metric
    Waited a bunch of weeks before hitting up book 5, and I'm glad I did. The first 4 books were a full story, in and of themselves, a short lineage that rules everything for a reeeaaallllly long-ass time, and the 4th book had a lot of "this is what I mean, this is the story I'm telling, allow me to make the implicit clearly explicit." I'd have been totally fine if the series ended here. I'm now also happy it didn't.

I was almost kinda done with book 5 right as it began when I went straight into it after book 4, because, good lord, I wanted no more Duncan ghola talk after 5k more years from the last ghola talk, so I put the series aside for a few months. Started again a few days ago, and all of a sudden, in chapter 4 or 5, we got our first bunch of new Bene Tleilaxu talk, and more strange, recognizable, yet totally muslim-y words and phrases, heavy and deep, as if a purposeful clear reminder of what the author made you confront in chapter one of the first book. Fuck me, gloha the shit out of this whole deal, I'm in. Glad I gave the series some space, and I'm glad I started back up.

While I don;t often like to admit that 8th tier poker forums are my personal taste-makers, I for sure bow to Krypt & sonatine on this one, without whom I would have read some other bullshit instead of these classics. Same can be said for the Bladerunner movies.

Daly, they are not very difficult books in the least imo, they just might introduce a lot of new terms in the beginning of a book and not explain them until the middle or end, but they always explain everything. Within any given book, you will eventually be told everything you need to understand everything. It's not Salman Rushdie or anything like that, or Shakespeare, where the the language itself may put you off or hold you back. The more you think about it, the more you get from it, but you can say the same about Pink Floyd. If you don't understand something, they will eventually make the explanation very explicit, in one way or another. But if you want to think deeper about what they are saying, you could probably spend years re-reading and parsing these books.

Comments

Daly: Good

Load Metric
    there is really a corner of my soul that will never know rest because he was never able to complete the series.

Load Metric
    HOLY

Name:  F5ED0CA4-90CF-4BEF-91AF-5BA1F89AE49F.jpeg
Views: 406
Size:  142.8 KB
    Name:  A3206AF9-932B-4457-A3FA-33D5D4DCB97C.jpeg
Views: 417
Size:  104.3 KB
    Name:  165CECF6-9234-43BE-B5A2-F433CB3A3C73.jpeg
Views: 424
Size:  252.3 KB
    Name:  701559EB-FCE2-4489-AAFC-ECA0E8B4C32E.jpeg
Views: 406
Size:  376.3 KB
    Name:  48681B78-7061-4062-B8E5-2CD851D4E784.jpeg
Views: 408
Size:  160.8 KB
    Name:  9B7DB75E-0B73-4908-9DD7-2FE88366AE15.jpeg
Views: 397
Size:  195.9 KB

Comments

sonatine: clearly wearing his still suit open-desert style, poor water discipline overall however

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I know this was slated for a Winter 2020 release. Wonder what happens. This is definitely something I would want to see in a theatre the first time, probably all by myself.

If I went with anyone in my family, I know there would be way too many questions about what is going on and it would get annoying.

Load Metric
    started the 6th book. one thing that caught me off guard and made me laugh was

Comments

sonatine: dude so jarring and weird and questionable

Load Metric
    I finished 6, and am re-reading a few parts of the entire series again just for a better understanding, but just gonna throw this weirdness out there: after the jews appearing earlier in the book, when Daniel and Marty first appeared, I could only think of Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland appearing in Duncan's visions, being all "Oh, hello! Such a net we've thrown around you." Obv Marty is female, but on first mention, what can I say.

too drunk to make the point, but outside of the original, God Emperor is tops, then Chapterhouse, then the field.be back in a few days

Comments

sonatine: supercoge

Load Metric
    like if you take the marty / daniel facedancers, and you take westworld, and you take AI, and you put them into a blender for 30 seconds and bake at 350 for 45 minutes, you probably just cooked up the very real end of the era of human supremacy on earth.

Load Metric
    currently watching Jodorowsky's Dune, without subtitles, for extra intrigue. My rudimentary high school French is getting a workout for sure.

Love the part where he lures irl slob Orson Welles to play Baron Harkonnen by promising him that the restaurant's chef would be feeding him every day. The Giger stuff is nuts and awesome, as all Giger stuff is. The story changes are ... fascinating? The idea of "raping" the original material "with love" is certainly bold and honest when said out loud, yet this whole thing was honest but inconceivable. Dali, and a robot Dali as a cost-saving measure?

Weird that a movie's funding might dry up when people realize the movie would be 12 hours long.

His reaction to the Lynch adaptation was awesome and very human.

I'f I'm sticking with Dune but not the extended written non-Frank Herbert stuff, is the 2000 miniseries the next step?

Load Metric
    i feel like its been said before in this thread but just to be clear, whatever movie he wanted to make had virtually nothing to do with the core contents of the novels.

like he literally just wanted his son to wander around surface of dune doing space karate, that was his film.

the syfy miniseries has some apocalyptically cringey scenes but its the only one to date that actually gets the character of paul right and generally does justice to the books.

particularly children of dune.

Load Metric
    Love the good faith discussion fellas, but can we not bump this thread until we at least have a fkn teaser from denis villeneuve

Load Metric
    Moebius documentary i watched a few months ago...

...reminded by mention of Giger and Jodorowsky. He had his share in impacting the visual side of western sci-fi.

Comments

sonatine:

Load Metric
    Did some reading on this movie and it seems “epic” enough. Problem is they can’t really release it until movie theaters are back in full swing and it may very well be a year plus.

Unless.... they want to “take on” movie theaters hype the shit out of it as the “new” Star Wars and go right to Apple movies.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Did some reading on this movie and it seems “epic” enough. Problem is they can’t really release it until movie theaters are back in full swing and it may very well be a year plus.

Unless.... they want to “take on” movie theaters hype the shit out of it as the “new” Star Wars and go right to Apple movies.

id snap purchase this for home viewing. like $19.99 and im in.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Love the good faith discussion fellas, but can we not bump this thread until we at least have a fkn teaser from denis villeneuve
    Beyond psyched for this - Villeneuve has an incredible hit rate for me.

Like, Blade Runner 2049 minus every second with Jared Leto is a fucking masterpiece.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Thread Information