Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Perkins "Die With Zero" book

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Bill Perkins "Die With Zero" book

Rich recreational poker player Bill Perkins wrote a book called "Die With Zero", which advocates spending or donating all of your money strategically so you're not left with much money at the end.

He argues that saving large sums of money into old age is wasteful, as you never got to have the full enjoyment of what you earned. He argues that even if you stretch your lifespan unexpectedly long, you will be too old and frail to enjoy most of your money anyway.

https://diewithzerobook.com/

What a monumental waste of human life, says multi-millionaire Bill Perkins. If you spend a lifetime working and die with lots of money left over, you’ve squandered a huge amount of life energy, bypassing the opportunity to enjoy your money — or to give it away — during your lifetime. Our lives are only as fulfilling as the sum of our experiences, Perkins argues, so the more time and money we invest in experiences during our lifetime, the richer our lives become.

Die with Zero will teach you Perkins’ techniques for finding an optimal balance between short-term pleasures and long-term rewards across your adult lifespan — a complex and ongoing optimization problem — how to maximize fulfillment while minimizing waste.

Although Americans are notorious for under-saving, millions of US households actually make the opposite mistake: they save too much for too late in life. For example, for heads of household between the ages of 70 and 74, the median net worth is $225,390, thanks to a lifetime of dutiful saving. What’s more, this wealthier half of Americans don’t start “decumulating” until they’re in their mid-70s — too late to enjoy certain pleasures — so even with rising life expectancies, millions of Americans are on track to have their hard-earned money outlive them.

On the surface, he would seem to be correct. Why not enjoy your money while in middle age (and still capable of doing a lot of fun things), rather than living a more frugal lifestyle and dying with millions anyway?

However, there are two big problems with his general idea:

1) If you have kids, you're screwing them. They may not have the same earning potential as you did (lesser ability, different opportunities than you had, etc). If you have a kid who would only be able to afford a lower-middle-class lifestyle on their own, you're doing them a big disservice by blowing your savings unnecessarily, just so you can "die with zero".

2) You don't know how long you're going to live. If you're incredibly rich, and you have no kids, sure, blow most of your money in middle age and then leave a few million behind for retirement. But for most everyone else, you could really screw yourself in your later years, and at that point you won't have the opportunity to earn it back.

I feel he has a decent point to a degree. I know many older people who have decided to "loosen up" in their later years, knowing their time left on earth is likely to be fewer than 20 years, but I haven't seen any with the desire to "die with zero".

Oh, and if that really is Perkins' goal, then maybe things are looking up for Phil Galfond.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Rich recreational poker player Bill Perkins wrote a book called "Die With Zero", which advocates spending or donating all of your money strategically so you're not left with much money at the end.

He argues that saving large sums of money into old age is wasteful, as you never got to have the full enjoyment of what you earned. He argues that even if you stretch your lifespan unexpectedly long, you will be too old and frail to enjoy most of your money anyway.

What a monumental waste of human life, says multi-millionaire Bill Perkins. If you spend a lifetime working and die with lots of money left over, you’ve squandered a huge amount of life energy, bypassing the opportunity to enjoy your money — or to give it away — during your lifetime. Our lives are only as fulfilling as the sum of our experiences, Perkins argues, so the more time and money we invest in experiences during our lifetime, the richer our lives become.

Die with Zero will teach you Perkins’ techniques for finding an optimal balance between short-term pleasures and long-term rewards across your adult lifespan — a complex and ongoing optimization problem — how to maximize fulfillment while minimizing waste.

Although Americans are notorious for under-saving, millions of US households actually make the opposite mistake: they save too much for too late in life. For example, for heads of household between the ages of 70 and 74, the median net worth is $225,390, thanks to a lifetime of dutiful saving. What’s more, this wealthier half of Americans don’t start “decumulating” until they’re in their mid-70s — too late to enjoy certain pleasures — so even with rising life expectancies, millions of Americans are on track to have their hard-earned money outlive them.

On the surface, he would seem to be correct. Why not enjoy your money while in middle age (and still capable of doing a lot of fun things), rather than living a more frugal lifestyle and dying with millions anyway?

1) If you have kids, you're screwing them. They may not have the same earning potential as you did (lesser ability, different opportunities than you had, etc). If you have a kid who would only be able to afford a lower-middle-class lifestyle on their own, you're doing them a big disservice by blowing your savings unnecessarily, just so you can "die with zero".

2) You don't know how long you're going to live. If you're incredibly rich, and you have no kids, sure, blow most of your money in middle age and then leave a few million behind for retirement. But for most everyone else, you could really screw yourself in your later years, and at that point you won't have the opportunity to earn it back.

I feel he has a decent point to a degree. I know many older people who have decided to "loosen up" in their later years, knowing their time left on earth is likely to be fewer than 20 years, but I haven't seen any with the desire to "die with zero".

Oh, and if that really is Perkins' goal, then maybe things are looking up for Phil Galfond.

i think bp's approach addresses all the above

set aside a trust fund with what you'd like to leave your kids

then determine your burn rate while leaving enough of a safety net to take care yourself as you grow old
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Bill Perkins...nice guy, very generous person.

Okay to mediocre poker player.

He once gave $20,000 to poker presenter Lynn Gilmartin so she could enter a $20K WPT poker tournament. She lost very quickly.

I look forward to the chapter of his book that describes how you replace your wife with a hotter and younger girlfriend.

Load Metric
    Advocate for a death tax I guess

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Bill Perkins...nice guy, very generous person.

Okay to mediocre poker player.

He once gave $20,000 to poker presenter Lynn Gilmartin so she could enter a $20K WPT poker tournament. She lost very quickly.

I look forward to the chapter of his book that describes how you replace your wife with a hotter and younger girlfriend.

Lynn Gilmartin. Definitely not a gal I would turn down if she made a pass at me. 😏

Load Metric
    If he marries the 25 year old, she isn’t going to exactly love the idea of his die at zero plan given he’s 50.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    the consummate trader...even extends it to his personal life...

well done BP!

Load Metric
    i agree with donating or giving away monies in older age. You can't take it with you but if you don't donate to family or charity , your family will have to pay heavy fees in taxes. You can for instance give family 15000 . Better then paying the taxman.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Anyone know the details on his divorce and subsequent new girlfriend?

Did he divorce the wife because of the new girlfriend? Or did the relationship end, and then he figured he might as well use his money to score a hot chick 25 years younger than he is?

Personally I think it's fucked up to dump your wife just because she's gotten old (you've gotten old too, obviously), but if the relationship has died a natural death, then I don't see a problem with going younger if chicks that age are still interested in you. Of course, there's the whole gold digger problem to contend with, but there are younger women who legit like older guys unrelated to the money issue. Once the age difference is greater than 20 years, though, it tends to be a gold digging thing.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Ex still looks ok...here he is with GF and ex...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH9d2QSD0og/?hl=en

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Leaving your kids a huge nest egg is tantamount to creating a person with little to do but
    get into trouble. Many many offspring of the rich and famous end up in rehab because they didn’t have to do anything.

Point two, if you guess wrong you can just pick up that Colt 45 and put an end to it

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    If he marries the 25 year old, she isn’t going to exactly love the idea of his die at zero plan given he’s 50.
    If he marries the 25 year old he could get to zero quicker than he'd planned.

Comments

BCR: No doubt. Dating the die with zero guy is great. He’s spending. Marrying though.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Leaving your kids a huge nest egg is tantamount to creating a person with little to do but
    get into trouble. Many many offspring of the rich and famous end up in rehab because they didn’t have to do anything.

Point two, if you guess wrong you can just pick up that Colt 45 and put an end to it
    I thought picking up a Colt 45 came in handy when you want to get something going, not end it.

Name:  78CF62F3-D6EA-4A67-9377-058120515BD4.jpeg
Views: 578
Size:  138.9 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    no point being the richest man in the graveyard

Load Metric
    I'm writing a sequel called "Screw Visa. Die With -$80k"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    every time i see video of him at the table he doesn't come across as being the brightest bulb.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    I rather read a book called "Die with Lots even after spending like crazy"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    every time i see video of him at the table he doesn't come across as being the brightest bulb.
    I knew he was a rich dude, but this was my impression also. He seemed charismatic. I wasn’t shocked he was successful, but I assumed it was something where he invented something or just rose through a business or inherited money. I would have never guessed that he was a successful trader, which is pretty much reserved for incredibly sharp people. But then again, it’s not like people at the tables are discussing algorithms. My perception was probably just based on him seeming like a fish at a table full of guys in their arena, not his.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Based on the way he plays poker, one might guess that he’s a trust fund kid all grown up.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    I knew he was a rich dude, but this was my impression also. He seemed charismatic. I wasn’t shocked he was successful, but I assumed it was something where he invented something or just rose through a business or inherited money. I would have never guessed that he was a successful trader, which is pretty much reserved for incredibly sharp people. But then again, it’s not like people at the tables are discussing algorithms. My perception was probably just based on him seeming like a fish at a table full of guys in their arena, not his.
    yeah he looks like a total fucking punter at the tables, with no rhyme or reason...

I know he's an engineering grad (I think from purdue) and think he was electrical...regardless of what type of engineering you graduated with you can't be a total dumbass...

just really strange that he looks like a total fucking dim bulb at the tables, when a guy like Einhorn who he's probably just as smart as comes across as a calculating dude at the tables...

Load Metric
    Anyone know the details on his divorce and subsequent new girlfriend?

Did he divorce the wife because of the new girlfriend? Or did the relationship end, and then he figured he might as well use his money to score a hot chick 25 years younger than he is?

Personally I think it's fucked up to dump your wife just because she's gotten old (you've gotten old too, obviously), but if the relationship has died a natural death, then I don't see a problem with going younger if chicks that age are still interested in you. Of course, there's the whole gold digger problem to contend with, but there are younger women who legit like older guys unrelated to the money issue. Once the age difference is greater than 20 years, though, it tends to be a gold digging thing.
    Lol show me one case of a younger woman being with an older guy who is broke. Hilarious.

Comments

Tellafriend:

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: They’d need to be low level alright
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Thread Information