Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** 2020 Galfond Challenge Thread

Load Metric
    Two more losing days.

-900k euros

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They've played about 9900 hands, with a little more than 15000 to go.

Phil is 1-12-2 as far as winning sessions, and is averaging 60k euro loss per session.

He is $15,000 away from eclipsing a million dollars lost.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Investors pulling the plug on the match?

Load Metric
    I know he’s just trying to market his site, but how discouraging this whole thing is from the grow the game perspective. You’re watching a guy who was once best in the world get mowed down like he’s some micro stakes grinder stepping up three levels. In an era where everyone is already skeptical that you need 6 programs and solvers and to study 4 hours for every hour you play, Phil getting destroyed just reinforces that belief. People play and put in the work at the lower levels with the idea they may some day rise to that level, however unrealistic that is. This is a stark reminder that isn’t happening unless you want to spend your time running simulations. Not exactly fun or come home drunk to your dorm and fire up a few tables. It’s probably a positive for young people as they see it’s less work to get an undergrad degree than to beat 1/2 anything. No prolonged heaters for bad players in today’s game.

It’s amazing to me I see no difference in live poker on the lower levels . I feel like the other players are just as bad as they ever were and online has made this quantum leap.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    agree BCR...the dream was always to start at something like $0.50/1.00 and grind up (or go on a heater) to playing $200/400+...think those dreams are fairly dead at this point until we get the entire US back in the same pool...

phil is gonna pay 18K euro to skip the next 6 sessions to evaluate if he wants to continue against venividi..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not surprising. I think he realized that this wasn't turning around, and he would end up losing close to $3 million if he continued this all the way through.

I'm guessing he just gives up and moves on to play Perkins next, hoping that will be an easy +650k euro, thus erasing over half of what he would lose if he quit VenVidi at this point (918k euro + 200k euro for the sidebet).

However, the Chance Kornuth thing could be the next disaster, as he has a 4:1 sidebet at 250k/1m euro, so if Chance beats him, that's another 1m euro down the drain (plus whatever he loses).

Chance probably isn't as good as VenVidi, but he might be good enough to beat Phil.

I can empathize with Phil here. I've had periods of time where I can't do anything but lose, and where absolutely nothing goes right. During such streaks, even fish seem to clobber me, and then my play suffers, as well. I can identify with all of the emotions and reactions he's having.

However, one thing I've never had to deal with was the fallout of getting my clock cleaned in a public challenge, as I've never played under those circumstances. I think that's been the most difficult part for him. He was long seen as one of the top HU PLO players of all time, and now he looks like a fish compared to the current greats. While his personal reputation is still excellent, his reputation of being one of the top players in poker has been severely damaged.

I said on radio that his last update claiming "I absolutely love this shit" was insincere. From the above statement, it looks like I was correct. I knew he was quietly battling situational depression and self-doubt behind the scenes. I knew this because nearly everyone would be, under the circumstances.

What also has to be tough is the fact that Phil is now failing at everything he's doing, which is the opposite of how his life has gone until about two years ago.

Prior to that, he crushed it in poker, had an excellent reputation, ran a successful training site, married a hot soap opera star, and even won a bracelet at a $10k WSOP event in a game he didn't know very well (O8). He was living a charmed life. Everything he did just fell into place for him.

The Run It Once Poker site was the start of his problems. It was a questionable idea from the start, was badly mismanaged, and then he created this Galfond Challenge as an ill-advised attempt to market it, and overestimated his skill against online crushers who may or may not be using solvers in the background.

As Tommy Lasorda once said, "The worst thing about success is that it doesn't prepare you for failure."

Comments

MumblesBadly: Great quote!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Not surprising. I think he realized that this wasn't turning around, and he would end up losing close to $3 million if he continued this all the way through.

I'm guessing he just gives up and moves on to play Perkins next, hoping that will be an easy +650k euro, thus erasing over half of what he would lose if he quit VenVidi at this point (918k euro + 200k euro for the sidebet).

However, the Chance Kornuth thing could be the next disaster, as he has a 4:1 sidebet at 250k/1m euro, so if Chance beats him, that's another 1m euro down the drain (plus whatever he loses).

Chance probably isn't as good as VenVidi, but he might be good enough to beat Phil.

I can empathize with Phil here. I've had periods of time where I can't do anything but lose, and where absolutely nothing goes right. During such streaks, even fish seem to clobber me, and then my play suffers, as well. I can identify with all of the emotions and reactions he's having.

However, one thing I've never had to deal with was the fallout of getting my clock cleaned in a public challenge, as I've never played under those circumstances. I think that's been the most difficult part for him. He was long seen as one of the top HU PLO players of all time, and now he looks like a fish compared to the current greats. While his personal reputation is still excellent, his reputation of being one of the top players in poker has been severely damaged.

I said on radio that his last update claiming "I absolutely love this shit" was insincere. From the above statement, it looks like I was correct. I knew he was quietly battling situational depression and self-doubt behind the scenes. I knew this because nearly everyone would be, under the circumstances.

What also has to be tough is the fact that Phil is now failing at everything he's doing, which is the opposite of how his life has gone until about two years ago.

Prior to that, he crushed it in poker, had an excellent reputation, ran a successful training site, married a hot soap opera star, and even won a bracelet at a $10k WSOP event in a game he didn't know very well (O8). He was living a charmed life. Everything he did just fell into place for him.

The Run It Once Poker site was the start of his problems. It was a questionable idea from the start, was badly mismanaged, and then he created this Galfond Challenge as an ill-advised attempt to market it, and overestimated his skill against online crushers who may or may not be using solvers in the background.

As Tommy Lasorda once said, "The worst thing about success is that it doesn't prepare you for failure."
    Didn't Yebsite beat you HU4ROLLZ or is my memory failing me?

Comments

BCR: Beat me to it. Huge public challenge

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Didn't Yebsite beat you HU4ROLLZ or is my memory failing me?
    Like, subscribe, smash the Alert button, etc....

Comments

WillieMcFML: yEBSITE>venividi

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Luke Schwartz popping off about this:

Phil's response:

Load Metric
    "go get some Perkins money and avoid action freak" is the best advice he's been given so far

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Chicago Joey is going to have Galfond on his show on Wednesday. I sent the following questions to Joey, who said that he's taking question submissions:

1) How are you sure that VeniVidi isn't using a solver or some other form of computer assistance in the background?

2) How much of yourself do you have in these matches?

2a) If not 100%, do any of the investors in Run It Once Poker have a piece of you? If so, how much do they have?

3) How much of an overall traffic increase has resulted from you having this match? (Note to PFA: The answer is "just about zero", but I want to hear what Phil says.)

4) Do you think that it would have been smarter to invest the money into more traditional marketing of your site, or perhaps hiring additional programmers to add tournaments to your site more quickly?

5) How far will you take the match against ActionFreak before quitting if losing badly?

6) Are you concerned now about your million euro 4:1 prop bet against Chance Kornuth, given that Chance is an excellent card player and may be tougher than expected, like Veni was?

7) What percentage chance would you give it at this point that VeniVidi isn't better than you, and the results are strictly due to running badly?

Load Metric
    Chicago Joey is going to have Galfond on his show on Wednesday. I sent the following questions to Joey, who said that he's taking question submissions:

1) How are you sure that VeniVidi isn't using a solver or some other form of computer assistance in the background?

2a) If not 100%, do any of the investors in Run It Once Poker have a piece of you? If so, how much do they have?

3) How much of an overall traffic increase has resulted from you having this match? (Note to PFA: The answer is "just about zero", but I want to hear what Phil says.)

4) Do you think that it would have been smarter to invest the money into more traditional marketing of your site, or perhaps hiring additional programmers to add tournaments to your site more quickly?

5) How far will you take the match against ActionFreak before quitting if losing badly?

6) Are you concerned now about your million euro 4:1 prop bet against Chance Kornuth, given that Chance is an excellent card player and may be tougher than expected, like Veni was?

7) What percentage chance would you give it at this point that VeniVidi isn't better than you, and the results are strictly due to running badly?
    Have you considered the possibility that any future online opponent will simply sell their slot to Veni? (example: Veni pays Kornuth 500k to let him fly to his house and just play Phil on Kornuths account)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

Have you considered the possibility that any future online opponent will simply sell their slot to Veni? (example: Veni pays Kornuth 500k to let him fly to his house and just play Phil on Kornuths account)
    Prob won't happen, and it would ruin Chance's reputation forever if he did something like this and got caught.

But intriguing possibility.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

1. He can never be 100% sure the guy aint using a solver. But whether the guy is using a solver or not doesn’t really matter. They are playing online. Those are just the risks you take when you play online.

Nowadays , it is fairly common that people are using real time software on every site and most stakes especially the high stakes. If your playing on Bovada still in the 30-60s just assume the guys you are playing against are using extra stuff as Im fairly certain thats the case.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

1. He can never be 100% sure the guy aint using a solver. But whether the guy is using a solver or not doesn’t really matter. They are playing online. Those are just the risks you take when you play online.

Nowadays , it is fairly common that people are using real time software on every site and most stakes especially the high stakes. If your playing on Bovada still in the 30-60s just assume the guys you are playing against are using extra stuff as Im fairly certain thats the case.
    You’re about as dumb as the Astro’s owner. You saying “it doesn’t really matter” is exactly like that moron saying “it didn’t affect the game”

#dipshit
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

You’re about as dumb as the Astro’s owner. You saying “it doesn’t really matter” is exactly like that moron saying “it didn’t affect the game”

#dipshit
    It doesnt matter though. It is completely irrelevant if the guy is using solvers. There is nothing Galfond can do about it if this were the case.. It will affect the game but again too bad.

If you challenge the world to heads up matches you get whatever comes to you. Who is the dumb one now?

In the case of the Astros I didnt really follow what the owner did or didnt say and dont really care. If he said it didnt affect the game hes obv lying.

But when it comes to sign stealing. Too fucking bad. You don’t want your signs stolen then don’t use signs. Teams dont have to use signs. If they do then they might get stolen. Every team steals signs or tries to in every sport. If they dont then they have a shitty program. Astros did it pretty good. Deserving champions and they paid the price the commish sent down.

/thread

Comments

jsearles22: Dumbest post of the year
    Last edited by chinamaniac; 02-17-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Load Metric

#dipshit
    It doesnt matter though. It is completely irrelevant if the guy is using solvers. There is nothing Galfond can do about it if this were the case.. It will affect the game but again too bad.

If you challenge the world to heads up matches you get whatever comes to you. Who is the dumb one now?

In the case of the Astros I didnt really follow what the owner did or didnt say and dont really care. If he said it didnt affect the game hes obv lying.

But when it comes to sign stealing. Too fucking bad. You don’t want your signs stolen then don’t use signs. Teams dont have to use signs. If they do then they might get stolen. Every team steals signs or tries to in every sport. If they dont then they have a shitty program. Astros did it pretty good. Deserving champions and they paid the price the commish sent down.

/thread
    Name:  5C957AFF-BA41-4EDC-94B4-BDFF15F93DFB.jpeg
Views: 783
Size:  24.9 KB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

/thread
    Name:  5C957AFF-BA41-4EDC-94B4-BDFF15F93DFB.jpeg
Views: 783
Size:  24.9 KB
    Aka I won the thread ( as usually is the case )

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

#dipshit

/thread
    Not sure if you're trolling here, but Galfond should take all the precautions he can, such as having the guy on camera while they play.

Still not 100% foolproof but if he has two camera angles (one on the screen and one on the guy), that would eliminate a lot of the cheating possibilities.

At a match of this size, you can't be too careful.

Comments

jsearles22: No, he’s literally that stupid

Load Metric

/thread
    Not sure if you're trolling here, but Galfond should take all the precautions he can, such as having the guy on camera while they play.

Still not 100% foolproof but if he has two camera angles (one on the screen and one on the guy), that would eliminate a lot of the cheating possibilities.

At a match of this size, you can't be too careful.
    Way this was setup you should never offer the challenge, if you lose to what solvers can run in 10 seconds. Far as i know it's only rivers that have small enough trees to matter. And you kinda ought to know the results beforehand, since people solved those spots before solvers.

Thread Information