Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** 2020 Galfond Challenge Thread

Load Metric
    what time of day do they usually play? has there been a regular schedule or something close to it for the last week or so?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I know nothing of GTO solvers other than the basic concept of studying ranges from different positions and optimal plays, and I just understand that because I’ve seen guys show how they study on videos, but they said that was his condition. That he could reset table at 200bb deep for the reasons you said. I don’t even know what a real time solver is other than I assume something that inputs the actual hand being played and pumps out the optimal play instantly. If it’s that quick I don’t even know why anyone would bother playing at this point
    I've never worked with a solver, but I think they just pump out frequencies...so while it gives you an optimal play you would still have to execute those frequencies just as the solver says...but yeah it's gonna really help a shitton if you had one running in real time...

I hear ya on not playing at this point...but you'd be surprised about the amount of mongs still online...at this point having 6-7 figure battles online seems to be a little much to handle...i'd definitely have pause for concern...
    Mongs on the American sites? Cash? Mtts? I don’t think I’ve played an online hand for $ in 2 years. I haven’t taken the game seriously online since probably 2007, but have had the urge to play mtts lately again. I’m sure I’d lose and be one of the mongs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    what time of day do they usually play? has there been a regular schedule or something close to it for the last week or so?
    think it's around 11am-noon ET start time...

Comments

Crowe Diddly: gracias
    Last edited by GambleBotsChafedPenis; 01-30-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

I've never worked with a solver, but I think they just pump out frequencies...so while it gives you an optimal play you would still have to execute those frequencies just as the solver says...but yeah it's gonna really help a shitton if you had one running in real time...

I hear ya on not playing at this point...but you'd be surprised about the amount of mongs still online...at this point having 6-7 figure battles online seems to be a little much to handle...i'd definitely have pause for concern...
    Mongs on the American sites? Cash? Mtts? I don’t think I’ve played an online hand for $ in 2 years. I haven’t taken the game seriously online since probably 2007, but have had the urge to play mtts lately again. I’m sure I’d lose and be one of the mongs
    haha! yeah I play cash on the American sites and the guys I play against on a daily basis are barely functional...like im half convinced that many of them have Downs...

I don't play many MTTs, but ill fire from time to time...I don't think youll be one of the mongs...was bored and fired on a $30 tourney on NJStars...got in a hand where I raised in LP with 6h5h, got 3 callers...flop was 8h7h2s, SB donked into me, BB folded, I said 'fuck it let's gamble' and ripped it in for like 2x pot...person behind me folded and the SB beat me in the pot with QsTc...yeah this was just in NJ, but im sure you'll find these type of players on ACR and bovada at the lower limits...

Load Metric
    Phil is now down 437k after 8 days. 5700 hands played. They will play 25k in total.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    A lot of asskissers responding positively on Twitter, but they're all missing the point that this isn't just variance in all likelihood, and Phil is either playing against a solver program or a much better opponent..
    Every, and I mean every, poker player I have ever met overestimates his or her abilities. We all think we are better players than we actually are. It justifies our degenerate tendencies.

Load Metric

A lot of asskissers responding positively on Twitter, but they're all missing the point that this isn't just variance in all likelihood, and Phil is either playing against a solver program or a much better opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Phil is now down 437k after 8 days. 5700 hands played. They will play 25k in total.
    20+ buyin swings at HUPLO is not that crazy over 6k hands. They are seeing most flops with lots of 3b/4b pf pots. Definitely not enough hands to make any sort of cheating/skill assumptions.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/545196899

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    20+ buyin swings at HUPLO is not that crazy over 6k hands. They are seeing most flops with lots of 3b/4b pf pots. Definitely not enough hands to make any sort of cheating/skill assumptions.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/545196899
    yup...no doubt veni is a crusher, but even by the end of 25K hands the results will be semi-meaningless...

I looked at my results from last January and I lost 1,500BB in 8,000 hands...and by the end of the month I had played 17,000 hands and won 300BB...this was a mix of 2-6 handed so I can only imagine what steroid filled variance there is in strictly playing HU...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Galfond just lost 100k euro, and was down 170k at one point.

Load Metric
    Farrah's checking that prenup right about now..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Galfond lost another 15,600 euros today.

He was down 60k euros at one point.

He's now down about 570k euros overall.

In the 11 days of matches, he's now 0-9-2. Wow.

He's down 37.53 BB per 100 hands. If he were to simply fold every hand pre and blind off, he would be down 75 BB per 100.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You may wonder who Elliot Roe is.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... Elliot Roe!

Hi, I'm Elliot Roe...

And I Help Poker Players Squeeze Every Ounce Of EV From Their Poker Skills and Abilities.

Over 7500 poker players have downloaded my Mindset MP3s to boost their focus on the table and to relax and recover post-session.

I have personally worked with hundreds more on mastering their emotions and the tabling and developing the “Pro-Athlete Mindset” needed to be successful into today’s games.

Creating a strong poker mindset has been the “secret weapon” of the high stakes elite for years now, and I started this site to bring that edge to any player willing to work on that area of their game.

https://pokermindcoach.com/about-me/

Is this a lot of bullshit, or what?

I thought these poker mind coaches died out after Sam Chauhan fell out of favor.

Guess not.

Surprised but not surprised that Galfond fell for this nonsense. Honestly, he is approaching this with the wrong attitude. He needs to shake off the positivity, shake off the "I'm probably just on a downswing" foolishness, and really get down and dirty with analyzing Venvidi's play, perhaps with the help of friends. Then he needs to figure out if he can come up with a counter-strategy.

Maybe he's doing this, but it looks like he's more focusing upon psychobabble than figuring out why he's getting crushed like this.

Load Metric
    Elliot Roe is pretty well known at this point. Worked a lot with Fedor Holz

Load Metric
    You may wonder who Elliot Roe is.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... Elliot Roe!

Hi, I'm Elliot Roe...

And I Help Poker Players Squeeze Every Ounce Of EV From Their Poker Skills and Abilities.

Over 7500 poker players have downloaded my Mindset MP3s to boost their focus on the table and to relax and recover post-session.

I have personally worked with hundreds more on mastering their emotions and the tabling and developing the “Pro-Athlete Mindset” needed to be successful into today’s games.

Creating a strong poker mindset has been the “secret weapon” of the high stakes elite for years now, and I started this site to bring that edge to any player willing to work on that area of their game.

https://pokermindcoach.com/about-me/

Is this a lot of bullshit, or what?

I thought these poker mind coaches died out after Sam Chauhan fell out of favor.

Guess not.

Surprised but not surprised that Galfond fell for this nonsense. Honestly, he is approaching this with the wrong attitude. He needs to shake off the positivity, shake off the "I'm probably just on a downswing" foolishness, and really get down and dirty with analyzing Venvidi's play, perhaps with the help of friends. Then he needs to figure out if he can come up with a counter-strategy.

Maybe he's doing this, but it looks like he's more focusing upon psychobabble than figuring out why he's getting crushed like this.
    I'd say it's at the level of having a personal chef or trainer. If you can afford it and you're the type of person than needs someone to tell obvious facts and keep score for you, then why not. Personality thing mostly, if you gain from outsourcing everything you can.

Load Metric
    Galfond won 88k Euro yesterday.

Then lost 202k Euro today ouch.

-684K overall.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Galfond won 88k Euro yesterday.

Then lost 202k Euro today ouch.

-684K overall.
    Close, but not quite. He lost 270k euro today. It probably wasn't complete when you made your post.

What a beatdown. He's now down 750k euro.

He's about 1/3 of the way through, and is on pace to lose over 2.2 million euro (before the sidebet).

He's going to need to have a long talk with Elliot Roe about this one.

Load Metric
    I couldn’t beat .25/.50, so I have no idea how good or bad he may be running, but this sounds a lot like a guy who is trying to convince himself he isn’t delusional while being delusional about his chances. I feel like I’ve used this logic in life at times and in the end, nope, I was being delusional.

I mean, if you’re trying to figure out if you’re outclassed or simply running bad for 7k-10k hands in the middle of some 100k hand challenge where you’ve already been competitive for the first 50k hands, it’s a lot easier to believe you might just be running bad. When you come out and get bludgeoned 9 out of the first 10 sessions, it certainly appears he’s more likely outclassed as opposed to running bad.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Codger that

Load Metric
    He has the back-end numbers and it's not first time he's interpreting that type of data.

What i picked up from that is, he's convinced he's running bad. He doesn't know how bad he's running, but he also knows that he's nowhere near the top of his game and that's not likely to make him a favorite.

Most likely a small dog or worse running somewhere around the bottom 10%.

These type of runs and the inverse make PLO the game it is. Generally people handle these swings badly and they tend to associate run goods to skill pretty badly.

After certain skill level significant favorite in PLO is something like 52-48 times huge variance giving a really wide range of results.

Load Metric
    Looks like he's doing ~twice as bad as durr back in 2011 through 8600 hands.

Name:  Durrrr_Challenge_Graph-517x206.png
Views: 633
Size:  33.0 KB
    (they were playing twice as high, 200/400)
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 02-07-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Thread Information