Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** 2020 Galfond Challenge Thread

Load Metric
    just fired up the twitch stream for a minute, and it looks like they're taking a buck rake from every hand that goes to the flop, at least. If they limp to a €400 pot, it goes to €399 on the flop. Raised pots to €1200 become €1199.

Load Metric
    on break for another 25ish minutes probably.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 3.02.51 PM.png
Views: 715
Size:  267.7 KB

Load Metric
    Unbelievable comeback! Grats Sir Phil Galfond!

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric

Cool

PhiLLY's a Beast! Plus owning the site how the heck can u lose?
    If I owned a site and lo$t,I'd quit gambling .haha.. make it close..no one got hurt..free publicity...
    BVravo
    well done!
    3 Jeers!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeshine box View Post
    PhiLLY's a Beast! Plus owning the site how the heck can u lose?
    If I owned a site and lo$t,I'd quit gambling .haha.. make it close..no one got hurt..free publicity...
    BVravo
    well done!
    3 Jeers!!!
    A win of less than 1600 euros in a 100/200 PLO game after tens of thousands of hands? They should just played one orbit and called it day.

Name:  EC801F8D-5095-4FFB-AC8D-38E09471BD82.gif
Views: 677
Size:  1.23 MB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Great point. His overall loss incl. what he would have won elsewhere is huge.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He started against Perkins.

Surprisingly, he lost -- though not by much.

This one does not have a set schedule -- it's basically when Perkins can make it.

This match was on Party Poker, NOT Run It Once. This was agreed upon at the time they set up the match. It is not clear why Perkins wanted Party Poker.

If somehow "lowly" Bill Perkins beats Phil when this is all done, yet VeniVidi couldn't hold a 900k euro lead, we're going to start hearing some very loud conspiracy theories.

Load Metric

This one does not have a set schedule -- it's basically when Perkins can make it.

This match was on Party Poker, NOT Run It Once. This was agreed upon at the time they set up the match. It is not clear why Perkins wanted Party Poker.

If somehow "lowly" Bill Perkins beats Phil when this is all done, yet VeniVidi couldn't hold a 900k euro lead, we're going to start hearing some very loud conspiracy theories.
    I watched on twitch for 20 minutes or so. Was pretty entertaining, they were 1 tabling and Phil had his webcam on and Perkins on speaker phone discussing hands and talking shit.

Load Metric

Do they have web cams set up to check players don't have buddies ghosting them?

Bill seems to be a nice enough type of fellow. But strikes me as the type who would bend the rules.

No way Bill can beat Phil on his own, over a large sample.. Though he's likely a better player then most give credit.

Platinum
    Load Metric

perkins has the 'thirst lounge' that streams on twitch and pretty sure his online partner is party...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He's up $90k on Perkins after 988 hands played.

No surprise there, as Phil is clearly the stronger player.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He's playing ActionFreak now, presumably the toughest opponent in the lineup.

Got off to an evenish but down start, behind by 11k after session #1 which was ended early due to internet failure.

https://twitter.com/RunItOncePoker/status/1254830848303661059

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, ActionFreak is on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/crackLiNg1

He's been there for 8 years, and mostly retweets left-wing political stuff. He's supposedly from Greece.

Comments

IamGreek: OPA! Patriotaki

Load Metric
    Galfond won 310K on April 30th and 113K on May 1st.

Up 416K after 2671 hands. Challenge is for 15K hands.

Load Metric
    Finally ActionFreak has moved this challenge to a neutral site. At the time of this post it looks like he won about 100K each the last two days playing on Party Poker cutting the deficit in half to 200K. This is all being spun as a problem in moving cash to RIO for ActionFreak but they can sell that all they want and I’m not buying. I think ActionFreak’s backers made it clear no more playing on RIO.

They were supposed to play May 2 and RIO tweeted...

Name:  29D7DF5B-1C4C-4106-BA73-74D5EE8E388A.png
Views: 473
Size:  2.81 MB

Then the next day Galfond tweeted...

Name:  8D064873-D898-425A-8B03-D3C6ED3F3B6D.png
Views: 414
Size:  1.22 MB

I’ve heard so much rationalizing why they couldn’t move money on to RIO but it’s Phil’s site he couldn’t work something out? Seems like BS to me. We’ll see what happens moving forward but I don’t see this going back to RIO. What are guys like Jungleman & Kornuth going to do? Will be interesting to follow.

Load Metric
    He's up $90k on Perkins after 988 hands played.

No surprise there, as Phil is clearly the stronger player.
    A YouTube commenter was trying to say that it’s not a big deal they moved the ActionFreak match to Party Poker because he is currently playing Perkins on Party. I kindly reminded them that Perkins is a whale & that Galfond would gladly play him in an airport bathroom if that’s what Bill requested.

Here is an official update after two days of play on party. Freak won about 160K in the two days on party and the deficit is about 250K.

Name:  26B767BC-D645-45DD-BB44-5680D28D1D6B.png
Views: 445
Size:  5.62 MB
    Last edited by JeffDime; 05-05-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thanks for the updates, Jeff.

I think it's about a 90% chance that ActionFreak and/or his backers demanded to move it to a neutral site for fairness reasons, and 10% that it really had to do with moving money around.

Or perhaps a lie sprung from the truth, where ActionFreak was asking backers to help him load more money onto Run It Once, and one of them said, "Bro wtf are you doing? Tell this guy you want to play on Party", and then ActionFreak told Phi, "Sorry can't get more money on Run It Once, backers want me only playing on a neutral site now or they're out. How about Party?"

I'm just guessing here, but I'd be shocked if this didn't have to do with RIO being Phil's site, and ActionFreak being down so much so fast. It's even possible that they didn't tell Phil the truth because they didn't want to offend him.

Anyway, smart move on ActionFreak's part. Even if the match on RIO is 100% legit, at least this is a change of scenery for him, and it also gets out of his head the fear that maybe something isn't right, which could be screwing with his game.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Thanks for the updates, Jeff.

I think it's about a 90% chance that ActionFreak and/or his backers demanded to move it to a neutral site for fairness reasons, and 10% that it really had to do with moving money around.

Or perhaps a lie sprung from the truth, where ActionFreak was asking backers to help him load more money onto Run It Once, and one of them said, "Bro wtf are you doing? Tell this guy you want to play on Party", and then ActionFreak told Phi, "Sorry can't get more money on Run It Once, backers want me only playing on a neutral site now or they're out. How about Party?"

I'm just guessing here, but I'd be shocked if this didn't have to do with RIO being Phil's site, and ActionFreak being down so much so fast. It's even possible that they didn't tell Phil the truth because they didn't want to offend him.

Anyway, smart move on ActionFreak's part. Even if the match on RIO is 100% legit, at least this is a change of scenery for him, and it also gets out of his head the fear that maybe something isn't right, which could be screwing with his game.
    Even if you aren't being cheating, the > 0% chance you are can wreak havoc and become compounded by the losing sessions. The more you lose, the more the idea of getting cheated dances in your brain, the less optimal your decisions.

Load Metric
    Mini one day challenge with Jungleman back on Run It Once today. Phil back to his home court & in the black as he beat the Jungle for around 90K Euros. Small sample of course only 750 hands but wonder if Jungle has second thoughts about playing on Phil’s site? It seems that he has not had a significant losing session on RIO since the break with VeniVidi.

Biggest two losing sessions since then I believe were his two this week with Actionfreak on Party Poker. Not nearly enough to make a judgment but he sure seems to do much better on RIO. We’ll see if Freak keeps the rest of their challenge on Party.

Name:  A220018B-9218-4EDC-9512-116EFB52270E.png
Views: 390
Size:  4.17 MB

Load Metric
    As for play yesterday not much to report. Phil had a modest 20K win on the third straight day playing on Party Poker.

The news of his VeniVidi comeback has reached mainstream Sports Media as of this morning. ESPN.com writer “Sports Betting Analyst” Preston Johnson posted an article named “The incredible comeback you probably didn't hear about: Phil Galfond talks overcoming €900,000 deficit”.

Name:  1F6D0CEF-24D6-4436-B8A5-6B469D51FD12.png
Views: 345
Size:  5.61 MB

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/i...900000-deficit

It’s great that poker got this story on a mainstream outlet but this is the puff piece of all puff pieces. The writer probably needed to wear knee pads when interviewing Galfond. Matt Berkey & Mike McDonald were also interviewed.

Phil is described as an “innovator” for owning the site Run it Once. The article focuses on the great comeback against Venividi but never mentions the fact that it was played on RIO. No mention at all on how RIO has been struggling for a while now.

The writer compares the comeback to the Red Sox comimg back down 3-0 in the ALCS against the Yankees. He unsurprisingly doesn’t ask Phil about the possible appearance of a conflict of interest with this all happening on his site.

Phil sticks to his story that the extended break he took during the Venividi match was mostly spent relaxing and resetting. Doesn’t mention intense study at all. Of course Poker’s version of Socrates Matt Berkey has a long quote explaining Phil’s comeback,

"Phil taking time off despite paying the penalty is really critical," he said. "We give ourselves way too much credit to be able to battle day in and day out and just shrug off the results, win or lose. It's just not how our mind is oriented, and it's not what motivates human beings. We need positive feedback loops ... and when the game you are playing doesn't offer them, you need to seek them out elsewhere."

This reads more like an ad than a piece of journalism. Took a few weeks after the VeniVidi match for ESPN to touch this. Without the comeback I think it’s safe to say no story.
    Last edited by JeffDime; 05-08-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Thread Information