Page 777 of 947 FirstFirst ... 277677727767773774775776777778779780781787827877 ... LastLast
Results 15,521 to 15,540 of 18926

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Gold
    Load Metric
    At my wife's clinic like 1/2 the staff called in sick today. She says basically the way it works is all the doctors who are salary are just working sick because at the end of the day it is their job to make sure the patients are seen; while all the nurses, medical assistants, staff, etc. who are hourly called in sick. My wife worked sick last week, although truth be told her "cold" was pretty mild.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I love seeing the pivots from the left, regarding COVID. They're now saying a lot of what Republicans were saying in 2020 and 2021:

- Cloth masks don't work and are mostly performative

- Natural immunity is a thing, and it is probably preventing bad outcomes from Omicron in heavily unvaccinated places

- Vaccines aren't the path to herd immunity

- Force-shutting down businesses, schools, and public spaces because of COVID isn't the right thing to do

The next few weeks are going to be huge, as far as COVID perception in the US. If the currently extremely high caseload doesn't produce a high number of hospitalizations or death, the country is going to demand to return to normalcy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I love seeing the pivots from the left, regarding COVID. They're now saying a lot of what Republicans were saying in 2020 and 2021:

- Natural immunity is a thing, and it is probably preventing bad outcomes from Omicron in heavily unvaccinated places

- Force-shutting down businesses, schools, and public spaces because of COVID isn't the right thing to do

The next few weeks are going to be huge, as far as COVID perception in the US. If the currently extremely high caseload doesn't produce a high number of hospitalizations or death, the country is going to demand to return to normalcy.
    If we close our eyes it’ll be just like 2019 all over again, right?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

If we close our eyes it’ll be just like 2019 all over again, right?
    It's the opposite of 2019 right now because we've been closing our eyes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    With that said, I've kinda resigned myself to the serious possibility that I will get Omicron this month via Benjamin.

He's back in school, it's busting through the vaccines, and while I'm boosted, it was over 2.5 months ago, so that might have degraded somewhat by now. Also it busts through boosters, though at a lesser rate.

Nobody in my extended family has had COVID yet, including Ben, his mom, my parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc.

Load Metric
    Who had a bigger pivot on Covid?

Dems or Druff?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Dems or Druff?
    The disease is different. We know more now. We have drugs we didn’t previously. Pivot is a poor choice of words.

Druff changing his mind might be threadworthy.

I was gonna do some stuff like point out his relatives are all California and vaccinated and boosted to the gills but logic isn’t as important as his surrender.

We live in more dangerous times. We gotta move on. Make your own choices,

I watched some KHL today. I took Russian so that has an interest for me. No fans in rink like Canada. The commercials. It was pretty interesting take.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-05-2022 at 09:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Dems or Druff?
    Where is my pivot?

I have not been pro-shutdown. I was personally staying out of indoor spaces, but that was my choice. That's very different from forcing others to stay out.

The only thing I didn't expect was that the vaccines would fail to achieve herd immunity, even with a high rate of people taking them (such as countries with 87% vaccination rates). That wasn't predicted by anyone at the time.

Load Metric

Dems or Druff?
    Where is my pivot?

I have not been pro-shutdown. I was personally staying out of indoor spaces, but that was my choice. That's very different from forcing others to stay out.
    The Russians, California, Canada can do whatever the citizens decide they want to do. I detect that Pooh is very pleased with Florida’s response. I am conscious that Simpdog is aligned with Canada’s policies. I respect that. I am pleased overall with my circumstance.

California’s response was utterly predictable. It’s consistent with the citizens values.

Druff & Dwai are the ones that are torqued. Inertia will kill them. Being that unhappy ain’t healthy mentally or physically

I’ve said it before. The growth of states rights and the growing disparity between states is the best thing to come out of this whole affair.

Gold
    Load Metric
    This is not a troll post hyping the threat
    Just take a sec and see what he predicts for the future of the virus. This is a sober assessment from one of the worlds top experts with a proven track record..
    8 min 30 sec

Load Metric

Dems or Druff?
    Where is my pivot?

The only thing I didn't expect was that the vaccines would fail to achieve herd immunity, even with a high rate of people taking them (such as countries with 87% vaccination rates). That wasn't predicted by anyone at the time.
    Quite a lot of people have said that. I said this more than a year ago...

"Herd immunity is a thing, but it's associated with an unnecessary body count with unknown efficacy. Mutations are thing. It's a bad gamble."

...with vaccines it's closer to a freeroll, but efficacy/mutations are problematic. Oh and this is what you were saying at the time about 3rd wave being bad...

"I don't believe this.

The worst we've seen was NYC circa April, and since then nowhere has been that bad. Sure, there's been flare-ups, but nothing like greater NYC in the spring."

https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...l=1#post932456

Load Metric
    With that said, I've kinda resigned myself to the serious possibility that I will get Omicron this month via Benjamin.

He's back in school, it's busting through the vaccines, and while I'm boosted, it was over 2.5 months ago, so that might have degraded somewhat by now. Also it busts through boosters, though at a lesser rate.

Nobody in my extended family has had COVID yet, including Ben, his mom, my parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc.
    Fairly sure it's impossible for kids to transmit cov2.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Where is my pivot?

"Herd immunity is a thing, but it's associated with an unnecessary body count with unknown efficacy. Mutations are thing. It's a bad gamble."

...with vaccines it's closer to a freeroll, but efficacy/mutations are problematic. Oh and this is what you were saying at the time about 3rd wave being bad...

"I don't believe this.

The worst we've seen was NYC circa April, and since then nowhere has been that bad. Sure, there's been flare-ups, but nothing like greater NYC in the spring."

The worst we saw was NYC in the spring. In death per million population, that was as bad as it got here (for any metro area, not the country).

Of course mutations were a possibility regarding the inability to kill COVID. It's the same reason we can't eradicate the flu.

However, the assumption was that, barring new mutations forming which could evade the vaccine, we would achieve herd immunity at 80% or so. That didn't happen. Even had Omicron never appeared, we weren't going to get herd immunity via the vaccines. Part of the problem was that the vaccines degraded in efficacy a lot more than first assumed, allowing enough breakthroughs plus unvaccinated people to keep it alive.

There is some belief that Omicron will rip through the population so quickly that it will finally bring us to herd immunity, but I don't believe it. We will have the same breakthrough problem all over again when the boosters get a few months older.

However, the next mutation might actually be a cold, or something very close to it, so that will pretty much be game over anyway if such a thing occurs.

Load Metric
    Major backlash right now in Ontario to conservatives closing schools. Pretty much 100 percent will screw then over. Again the problem is Doug Ford has no spine to stand up to medical professionals. Again as I’ve said hundreds of times hospitals will always claim they are overworked. But they always find a way to manage as we see South Africa is on the way out of this.

That being said the evidence is clear unvaccinated have 20 time higher risk of death and 13 times higher risk of icu. If you are vaxxed and under 50 years you literally have nothing to worry. Stay at home should be for 80 plus and suggested not forced. If unvaxxed want to jeopardize their health then so be it cause at this point you can’t contain the virus. Unvaxxed kids have little to worry about.

Also best way to measure covid levels is waste water analysis now that we have too many people to test.

Comments

country978: backlash deserved

Load Metric

"I don't believe this.

The worst we saw was NYC in the spring. In death per million population, that was as bad as it got here (for any metro area, not the country).

Of course mutations were a possibility regarding the inability to kill COVID. It's the same reason we can't eradicate the flu.

However, the assumption was that, barring new mutations forming which could evade the vaccine, we would achieve herd immunity at 80% or so. That didn't happen. Even had Omicron never appeared, we weren't going to get herd immunity via the vaccines. Part of the problem was that the vaccines degraded in efficacy a lot more than first assumed, allowing enough breakthroughs plus unvaccinated people to keep it alive.

There is some belief that Omicron will rip through the population so quickly that it will finally bring us to herd immunity, but I don't believe it. We will have the same breakthrough problem all over again when the boosters get a few months older.

However, the next mutation might actually be a cold, or something very close to it, so that will pretty much be game over anyway if such a thing occurs.
    There isn't a huge difference between vaccine or virus induced herd immunity regarding efficacy, if you exclude mutations. When you let the virus run free it just has more opportunities to adapt to it's target.

Assumption that a virus that has mutated thousands of times wouldn't adapt doesn't seem too realistic.

Anyways will just assume that you and Walter were talking about metro areas when referring to 3rd wave being worse and you not believing it. Somewhat odd since the 2nd wave wasn't tied to a specific metro area, but whatever. Also since red states were mentioned i don't quite know what metro areas that could have been. Just to clarify are you still under the impression that no one predicted that there could be issues with achieving herd immunity via vaccines or is that also still in your alternate history?

Load Metric

There isn't a huge difference between vaccine or virus induced herd immunity regarding efficacy, if you exclude mutations. When you let the virus run free it just has more opportunities to adapt to it's target.

Assumption that a virus that has mutated thousands of times wouldn't adapt doesn't seem too realistic.

Anyways will just assume that you and Walter were talking about metro areas when referring to 3rd wave being worse and you not believing it. Somewhat odd since the 2nd wave wasn't tied to a specific metro area, but whatever. Also since red states were mentioned i don't quite know what metro areas that could have been. Just to clarify are you still under the impression that no one predicted that there could be issues with achieving herd immunity via vaccines or is that also still in your alternate history?
    Let’s also be clear that the worst death rates since the pandemic began have been in states with the worst vaccination rates. Which sadly tend to be red.

The two worst states for deaths per capita are Mississippi and Alabama. They are the lowest vaccination rates and lowest iq states. And no I’m not making up the iq thing it’s actually a legitimate statistic. When we say team retard we mean that literally.

For the record California is pretty stupid too but that’s because of the huge inequities among the population. Some very smart but also extremely stupid people.
    Last edited by BetCheckBet; 01-06-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Load Metric

While I agree and see the left switching, I’ll still argue many of the things the liberal cities enacted are going to stay.

Only a few states, all liberal, have mask mandates….they will probably go away eventually.

Vaccine mandates that big liberal cities enacted….aren’t going anywhere in my opinion.

A few cities are trying to close schools again…won’t last long.

Other than that, what do you see as a return to “normalcy”? I understand you are jaded by living in CA, but most of us not living in CA, NY or a couple other places have been living a normal life for the past 18 months since June 2020.

I just don’t see a “demand” to return to normalcy from the people living in the areas that accepted the regulations. In fact many of them love them and are pushing for stuff like masks forever on planes along with more vaccine requirements.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post

While I agree and see the left switching, I’ll still argue many of the things the liberal cities enacted are going to stay.

Only a few states, all liberal, have mask mandates….they will probably go away eventually.

Vaccine mandates that big liberal cities enacted….aren’t going anywhere in my opinion.

A few cities are trying to close schools again…won’t last long.

Other than that, what do you see as a return to “normalcy”? I understand you are jaded by living in CA, but most of us not living in CA, NY or a couple other places have been living a normal life for the past 18 months since June 2020.

I just don’t see a “demand” to return to normalcy from the people living in the areas that accepted the regulations. In fact many of them love them and are pushing for stuff like masks forever on planes along with more vaccine requirements.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

Let’s also be clear that the worst death rates since the pandemic began have been in states with the worst vaccination rates. Which sadly tend to be red.

The two worst states for deaths per capita are Mississippi and Alabama. They are the lowest vaccination rates and lowest iq states. And no I’m not making up the iq thing it’s actually a legitimate statistic. When we say team retard we mean that literally.

For the record California is pretty stupid too but that’s because of the huge inequities among the population. Some very smart but also extremely stupid people.
    Yea the next 2-3 weeks will give a better understanding for the current plateau (or very slow rise) in deaths in US. Is it mainly related to vaccinations/mandates or omicron. From just seasonal/weather patterns it should have been rising the last 2 months.

There's a word for skilled/intelligent people migrating i can't remember now. Even if you don't give too much weight to genetics, that alone does work and then the level of education obv.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

Yea the next 2-3 weeks will give a better understanding for the current plateau (or very slow rise) in deaths in US. Is it mainly related to vaccinations/mandates or omicron. From just seasonal/weather patterns it should have been rising the last 2 months.

There's a word for skilled/intelligent people migrating i can't remember now. Even if you don't give too much weight to genetics, that alone does work and then the level of education obv.
    It’s called brain drain. It was a big issue in medical field 20 years ago with a lot of top Canadian students doing residencies down south and staying there. Not sure how much of an issue it is now. And by down south I obviously don’t mean Alabama.

Comments

gimmick:

Thread Information