Page 638 of 946 FirstFirst ... 138538588628634635636637638639640641642648688738 ... LastLast
Results 12,741 to 12,760 of 18916

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

"Gonsalves wrote, "There are thousands of people waiting for advice from our federal government on broader social distancing measures in light of the fact that our failure in early testing and surveillance means the coronavirus is likely already spreading in our communities."

Sounds about right.

Feel free to link any suspicious email you think should have been reported about. The actual email. I don't really care about your hot take of another hot take by idiots that have no idea of journalism.
    We've already been discussing the e-mails in question. If you missed it, scroll back.

So would you say that the NPR article was indeed an accurate representation of the five biggest things we learned from the Fauci emails?

How do you feel about his clear panic over the gain-of-function stuff in early 2020? Interesting or nah? Not worth mentioning in an article of "five things we learned", but "Fauci was uncomfortable with his celebrity" and "But he found upsides in fame" were?

You'd have a bit more credibility if you didn't have to be a contrarian to every single right wing point ever raised.
    Yea i think i covered this with, "I don't really care about your hot take of another hot take by idiots that have no idea of journalism".

The EMAIL you linked above is only thing i cared about. I can do without the short bus Chinese whispers.

Baric was involved in gain-of-function studies around 2015 involving SARS (the first one). Those and few others were the basis for the Moderna Vaccine. You know the reason why we had so many good vaccine candidates.

Once upon a time a bad man named Obama put a halt to gain-of-function studies in US after a very good year of lab related fuckups in the US. Almost infecting 75 ppl with Anthrax type of stuff.

Then a noble prince named Trump stopped the mad mans order and gain-of-function studies continued all through out the land.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

We've already been discussing the e-mails in question. If you missed it, scroll back.

So would you say that the NPR article was indeed an accurate representation of the five biggest things we learned from the Fauci emails?

How do you feel about his clear panic over the gain-of-function stuff in early 2020? Interesting or nah? Not worth mentioning in an article of "five things we learned", but "Fauci was uncomfortable with his celebrity" and "But he found upsides in fame" were?

You'd have a bit more credibility if you didn't have to be a contrarian to every single right wing point ever raised.
    Yea i think i covered this with, "I don't really care about your hot take of another hot take by idiots that have no idea of journalism".

The EMAIL you linked above is only thing i cared about. I can do without the short bus Chinese whispers.

Baric was involved in gain-of-function studies around 2015 involving SARS (the first one). Those and few others were the basis for the Moderna Vaccine. You know the reason why we had so many good vaccine candidates.

Once upon a time a bad man named Obama put a halt to gain-of-function studies in US after a very good year of lab related fuckups in the US. Almost infecting 75 ppl with Anthrax type of stuff.

Then a noble prince named Trump stopped the mad mans order and gain-of-function studies continued all through out the land.
    So do you or do you not think that the e-mails reveal concern on Fauci's part regarding gain-of-function research which was funded by his department?

If he wasn't concerned, what was with the urgent task related to it? Just fun work for extra credit?

And I'm still waiting to hear why that "5 things learned" article should have left this out while covering completely frivolous bullshit.

Load Metric

So do you or do you not think that the e-mails reveal concern on Fauci's part regarding gain-of-function research which was funded by his department?

If he wasn't concerned, what was with the urgent task related to it? Just fun work for extra credit?

And I'm still waiting to hear why that "5 things learned" article should have left this out while covering completely frivolous bullshit.
    Why should he be concerned about a completely legal research from 5 years ago?

https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985

That's the super secret study that's been on the internet since 2015.

Yea super sus that someone that thought our best bet for defeating the virus would be creating vaccines is contacting people that have studied corona viruses and possible treatment/vaccine. Clearly something nefarious at play here.

https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-...19-80730181693

Classic hiding in plain sight on national television. Sneaky fucks.

Load Metric
    What the fuck do you think there is to cover? You need to fill in every blank with batshitcrazy to have something worth reporting. And for all that shit there is a handful of more plausible scenarios that were either reported at the time or are fairly easy to deduct from future events.

Load Metric
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0695-z

This Baric character seems very shady. Naming viruses and shit. Being part of super secret gangs of science wizards.

Coronaviridae Study Group of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses
    Alexander E. Gorbalenya, Susan C. Baker, Ralph S. Baric, Raoul J. de Groot, Christian Drosten, Anastasia A. Gulyaeva, Bart L. Haagmans, Chris Lauber, Andrey M. Leontovich, Benjamin W. Neuman, Dmitry Penzar, Stanley Perlman, Leo L. M. Poon, Dmitry V. Samborskiy, Igor A. Sidorov, Isabel Sola & John Ziebuhr

Load Metric
    So the smoking gun...

...Druffs perfectly sane conclusion...

"The bigger concern regarding Fauci seems to be actual corruption, but that's getting a bit lost in all of the "masks don't do much" talk.

Apparently Fauci panicked when he started receiving questions via e-mail in early 2020 about a possible Wuhan lab leak, because his organziation had been involved in funding some research there regarding getting ahead of animal-to-human viruses. He sent out e-mails to people shortly after that, naming the people involved in that study, and told someone that they "have an important task to do", and that they needed to have a phone call.

It appears Fauci was really concerned that the Chinese either turned that research into a bioweapon and accidentally allowed it to escape, or they simply weren't careful enough during legitimate research and allowed COVID to escape. Either way, he didn't want the word getting out about this "gain of function" research, which could make him and his department look bad (and even partially at fault), so he pushed the "it jumped naturally" narrative instead, despite likely not believing that.

So basically he lied to everyone for more than a year in order to protect his own ass and reputation.

Regarding the masking, it does seem now that he more was telling the truth at the beginning (that cloth masks aren't useful), and then did an about face once his fellow Democrats wanted to push the mask narrative.

This guy did a horrible job and was self-serving at a time when selflessness was needed.

FIRE HIM"

...what you're actually seeing in the email...

1. Link to a pdf of a study that was published in 2015 that literally everyone can read

2. Asking time for a phone call with Hugh Auchincloss, M.D, NIAID Principal Deputy Director

3. And that's about it. It appears that people talk with each other on the phone. How weird.

4. Oh and this was early February 2020. Really strange that there was something important to discuss back then. As we know from the future, nothing of interest happened globally after that. I can't see any reason why National health officials would have any essential things to do, besides an elaborate conspiracy to cover things that literally everyone could have seen for 5 years.

Load Metric
    Fauci is a liar, once a liar can never be trusted. He should have been gone long ago.

Comments

TheXFactor: Doctor Fauci is a genius. You are the opposite.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So the smoking gun...

"The bigger concern regarding Fauci seems to be actual corruption, but that's getting a bit lost in all of the "masks don't do much" talk.

Apparently Fauci panicked when he started receiving questions via e-mail in early 2020 about a possible Wuhan lab leak, because his organziation had been involved in funding some research there regarding getting ahead of animal-to-human viruses. He sent out e-mails to people shortly after that, naming the people involved in that study, and told someone that they "have an important task to do", and that they needed to have a phone call.

It appears Fauci was really concerned that the Chinese either turned that research into a bioweapon and accidentally allowed it to escape, or they simply weren't careful enough during legitimate research and allowed COVID to escape. Either way, he didn't want the word getting out about this "gain of function" research, which could make him and his department look bad (and even partially at fault), so he pushed the "it jumped naturally" narrative instead, despite likely not believing that.

So basically he lied to everyone for more than a year in order to protect his own ass and reputation.

Regarding the masking, it does seem now that he more was telling the truth at the beginning (that cloth masks aren't useful), and then did an about face once his fellow Democrats wanted to push the mask narrative.

This guy did a horrible job and was self-serving at a time when selflessness was needed.

FIRE HIM"

1. Link to a pdf of a study that was published in 2015 that literally everyone can read

2. Asking time for a phone call with Hugh Auchincloss, M.D, NIAID Principal Deputy Director

3. And that's about it. It appears that people talk with each other on the phone. How weird.

4. Oh and this was early February 2020. Really strange that there was something important to discuss back then. As we know from the future, nothing of interest happened globally after that. I can't see any reason why National health officials would have any essential things to do, besides an elaborate conspiracy to cover things that literally everyone could have seen for 5 years.
    This e-mail came right after it was brought up to Fauci that there's a "lab leak concern".

All of a sudden, he was running from pillar to post, sending out that PDF, directing important "tasks", and scheduling an immediate phone call.

I don't know why you're stuck on that study being from 2015. The date of the study isn't important. Fauci realized he was indirectly connected to the gain-of-function research at Wuhan, and went into a panic when people were asking what he thought of the lab leak theory.

Why did Fauci attach that PDF? Just because he felt it was fun for everyone to read a PDF from 2015, or because he was concerned that some blame could fall upon his and other people's shoulders for participation in funding this sort of thing in Wuhan?

Fauci clearly had a reason to deny the lab leak for self-serving purposes. Even if you don't want to come to the (fairly) obvious conclusions above, certainly this is worth discussing in the media, right? It's hilarious how you're trying to argue that the frivolous NPR "5 things we learned" puff piece is indeed an accurate representation of the main five things we learned from the e-mails.

As I said, it would help if you occasionally conceded a right wing talking point, instead of always trying to play Mr. Contrarian.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In short, if gimmick can't admit that the trash NPR article is nothing short of a Fauci blow job, then clearly he's not dealing with us honestly.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the meantime, DeSantis, who honestly is a much-upgraded (and younger) version of Trump, is receiving more praise.

Here a Stanford doctor told Newsweek that he was incredibly impressed with DeSantis' COVID knowledge in 2020: https://www.newsweek.com/stanford-do...dinary-1586445

BUT CUOMO WAZ A GREAT LEADER AN' EVEN WROTE A BOOK GUYZ

Comments

garrett: lol...

Load Metric
    So the smoking gun...

FIRE HIM"

This e-mail came right after it was brought up to Fauci that there's a "lab leak concern".

All of a sudden, he was running from pillar to post, sending out that PDF, directing important "tasks", and scheduling an immediate phone call.

I don't know why you're stuck on that study being from 2015. The date of the study isn't important. Fauci realized he was indirectly connected to the gain-of-function research at Wuhan, and went into a panic when people were asking what he thought of the lab leak theory.

Why did Fauci attach that PDF? Just because he felt it was fun for everyone to read a PDF from 2015, or because he was concerned that some blame could fall upon his and other people's shoulders for participation in funding this sort of thing in Wuhan?

Fauci clearly had a reason to deny the lab leak for self-serving purposes. Even if you don't want to come to the (fairly) obvious conclusions above, certainly this is worth discussing in the media, right? It's hilarious how you're trying to argue that the frivolous NPR "5 things we learned" puff piece is indeed an accurate representation of the main five things we learned from the e-mails.

As I said, it would help if you occasionally conceded a right wing talking point, instead of always trying to play Mr. Contrarian.
    Yea that email also came at a time when preventing a endemic was really really current. So there's about 100 benign reasons for that exchange.

That PDF was an international study about what mutations could cause SARS to became very infectious to humans. Or in other words how relatively harmless corona viruses could cause SARS because of ability to bind to ACE2 receptors. The paper that was preliminary work for Moderna's vaccine.

It was a theory that was later proved to be correct. In the early days sharing that paper to set everyone on the right track could have saved lives, if that theory was true. It doesn't actually matter how the virus started to beat it. You just need to know what it is, what it does and what you need to do to it. First in theory and then in practice.

At the time btw zero people gave zero fucks about gain-of-function research. Trump cleared that in US between 2017 and 2020.

There are 2 laboratories in the US that conducted coronavirus studies. One them is in North-Carolina and that's tied to Baric. In 2019 two major gain-of-function studies were green lit in US. Before and after that no idea. It's a whole lot of patent protection and national security concerns. You basically know what's been done once it's out or not depending on the subject.

Obama put on a moratorium between 2014-2017. It was bit of a wild west before that. And during that time period the international studies were conducted where they were allowed. Analysis was done where ever after that. Funding wasn't ever direct and go figure there's a good amount loop holes. It appears US is still number one with those.

Load Metric
    LOL DRUFF PULLING GIMMICK'S STRINGS AND PUTTING HIM ON TILT PER USUAL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Thank you for the history of gain-of-function studies, but most of that isn't relevant here.

I'm not making the argument that these studies are evil, or shouldn't be done. I'm making the argument that Fauci became aware of a possible optics issue. If gain-of-function was studied in Wuhan, and was partially funded by his own department, this could look terrible for him, no matter what the actual cause of a lab leak there.

It makes sense that he went into a panic and decided to publically reject any suggestion of a lab leak, thus shutting down the possibility that people would blame him or his department.

Furthermore, while not related to the above, the e-mails also reveal that Fauci truly believed in February that cloth masks brought very little benefit. He actually communicated those honest beliefs to the public in February, only to reverse course the following month, once masks became political.

At the time, he claimed he was simply keeping the public away from hoarding masks which could otherwise be in the hands of healthcare workers, but the e-mails reveal that's not what was happening. Fauci truly believed what he said in February 2020 about the cloth masks being useless, and wasn't just lying for the sake of healthcare workers. The e-mails show his true thoughts on masks. This means that his lie was much worse. Rather than having lied in February 2020 to protect healthcare workers, he lied in March 2020 to please his Democratic overlords!

Load Metric
    Here's my 3rd post in this thread about speculation of the man made angle on Feb 6th 2020...

"Yea how it played out definitely not saying it's a good idea even from a very cold pragmatic view, just because how horribly wrong it could go. It would be nearly always a more likely scenario that it was a botched experiment that was released too early. And even that is unlikely. Still it's China. However dysfunctional your government is, there are stops that hinder the stupidest shit. It's less true about China. And then there's the history of one child policy."

...at time the brightest minds of team retard were peddling the bioweapon idea with intentional release.

Clearly a big fan of China. I like them almost as much as Russia.

The problem with the bioweapon angle was that it's a really bad bioweapon. It either wipes out the least productive members of society or severely hinders international trade. China really likes international trade and making your competitors more productive doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Load Metric
    LOL GIMMICK TILTING SO HARD

ISN'T IT AMAZING HOW HE'S NEVER WRONG ABOUT ANYTHING?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's my 3rd post in this thread about speculation of the man made angle on Feb 6th 2020...

"Yea how it played out definitely not saying it's a good idea even from a very cold pragmatic view, just because how horribly wrong it could go. It would be nearly always a more likely scenario that it was a botched experiment that was released too early. And even that is unlikely. Still it's China. However dysfunctional your government is, there are stops that hinder the stupidest shit. It's less true about China. And then there's the history of one child policy."

...at time the brightest minds of team retard were peddling the bioweapon idea with intentional release.

The problem with the bioweapon angle was that it's a really bad bioweapon. It either wipes out the least productive members of society or severely hinders international trade. China really likes international trade and making your competitors more productive doesn't seem like a very good idea.
    I've never accused you of being a China lover.

I've also never been big on the intentional release theory.

Why are you bringing these up now? The long-running right wing narrative (that it came out of a lab) looks like it's a hell of a lot closer to the truth than the long-running left wing narrative (that it was a natural jump from animal to human, without lab involvement).

In fact, in 2020 Twitter was censoring a lot of people trying to push the lab leak narrative as "misinformation", including scientists with impeccable credentials.

It's not like the left was open to the lab leak theory. They were shooting it down like it was the rantings of a crazy person. It was flagged as misinformation and xenophobia on social media.

Once again, the left has egg on their face regarding COVID. How many times has this happened already? It looks like they got almost nothing correct, and that's even more embarrassing given their arrogant "Follow the Science" narrative and "COVID misinformation" censorship campaigns.

Comments

dwai: ROFL

Load Metric
    Thank you for the history of gain-of-function studies, but most of that isn't relevant here.

I'm not making the argument that these studies are evil, or shouldn't be done. I'm making the argument that Fauci became aware of a possible optics issue. If gain-of-function was studied in Wuhan, and was partially funded by his own department, this could look terrible for him, no matter what the actual cause of a lab leak there.

It makes sense that he went into a panic and decided to publically reject any suggestion of a lab leak, thus shutting down the possibility that people would blame him or his department.

Furthermore, while not related to the above, the e-mails also reveal that Fauci truly believed in February that cloth masks brought very little benefit. He actually communicated those honest beliefs to the public in February, only to reverse course the following month, once masks became political.

At the time, he claimed he was simply keeping the public away from hoarding masks which could otherwise be in the hands of healthcare workers, but the e-mails reveal that's not what was happening. Fauci truly believed what he said in February 2020 about the cloth masks being useless, and wasn't just lying for the sake of healthcare workers. The e-mails show his true thoughts on masks. This means that his lie was much worse. Rather than having lied in February 2020 to protect healthcare workers, he lied in March 2020 to please his Democratic overlords!
    So we should just take your word about the inner workings of Fauci's mind?

Like i said, at the time literally no one gave a fuck about gain-of-function studies. It was about a month ago when the retardosphere learned about the concept. Chimeric might be this months word of the month.

But yea it's super strange that Fauci didn't work harder to burn bridges to people he needed information from, to try to avoid a national health crisis. It's like it's his job.

I'll get back to you with masks in a minute. Or you could just scroll back a few pages. I assume that's asking too much.

Load Metric
    LOL TILTING!

Load Metric
    since gimmick is a bit slow and likes to play semantics

Dr. Li-Meng Yan said Fauci's emails, which were published by Buzzfeed and the Washington Post on Tuesday, proved he knew about the Chinese gain of function research before the pandemic started.

These people knew what happened, but they chose to hide for the Chinese Communist Party and their own benefits,' Yan said.

it's fascinating that during Trump's presidency all this was some far right conspiracy theory, that there is no way that covid was made in a lab. now we see exactly everything that had been said is true. pat yourself on the back folks that refused to give into the lies.

Load Metric

I've never accused you of being a China lover.

I've also never been big on the intentional release theory.

Why are you bringing these up now? The long-running right wing narrative (that it came out of a lab) looks like it's a hell of a lot closer to the truth than the long-running left wing narrative (that it was a natural jump from animal to human, without lab involvement).

In fact, in 2020 Twitter was censoring a lot of people trying to push the lab leak narrative as "misinformation", including scientists with impeccable credentials.

It's not like the left was open to the lab leak theory. They were shooting it down like it was the rantings of a crazy person. It was flagged as misinformation and xenophobia on social media.

Once again, the left has egg on their face regarding COVID. How many times has this happened already? It looks like they got almost nothing correct, and that's even more embarrassing given their arrogant "Follow the Science" narrative and "COVID misinformation" censorship campaigns.
    I think you wanted me to agree to a single right wing talking point. You got China bad. I think most of your methods with dealing China are retarded and hurt you more than them. Rest of the world gets in the crossfire too often and they're publicly warming up to China because of it. Such as the latest trade deal between EU and China that was never going to happen if the US wasn't such shitshow in the last 4 years. And even with that i liked you more. West is the best even if you're mildly retarded.

Considering that the 1st post of this thread mentions lab leak i'm not completely sold on the idea that team retard invented it.

Feel free to link to any reputable researchers that were shutdown because of lab leak theory.

Thread Information