Page 620 of 946 FirstFirst ... 120520570610616617618619620621622623624630670720 ... LastLast
Results 12,381 to 12,400 of 18918

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    I refuse to take vaccine that is not fda approved

Comments

dwai: LOL FRANKRIZZO IS GOD

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    I refuse to take vaccine that is not fda approved
    The FDA has been one of the most embarrassing governmental agencies for at least my entire lifetime.

Basing a decision on them is like trusting the WHO on its "research" into how the virus originated.

Load Metric
    Don’t take the vaccine unless you are weak or afraid, approved or not.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO:
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I'm not talking about privilege and bunkering up.

Let's take the average person who has to decide what to do for grocery shopping. They can either choose to do it in person (dangeorus for COVID) or delivery (almost zero chance of getting COVID). A large percentage of Americans believe that the grocery shopping is safe, as long as you wear a mask and keep your distance from other customers. They were not informed by the media that this should really be avoided. Again, I'm not saying you can't find random videos or advice to this extent buried on the CDC site, but it has never been prominent advice. It's been all about the masking.

Now, some people are at jobs where they have such high exposure anyway to where avoiding the grocery store doesn't make much sense. However, the majority of Americans weren't in such a spot, and would have greatly benefited from Fauci and the media strongly repeating over and over that the #1 suggestion is to avoid indoor spaces unless absolutely necessary. This should have been the loudest and most prominent piece of advice, way ahead of wearing cloth masks.

It was not the loudest and most prominent piece of advice, because the Democrats didn't want it perceived that way. The best way to beat Trump was to make it look like his coldness toward masking was the reason 500,000 people died.

And yeah, I guess it worked. Great job with that deception, guys!
    Grocery shopping is safe if you use a mask and keep your distance. If anything else was true we wouldn't be talking about just 500k dead.

Even you admitted that typical cloth masks weren't very useful. And guess what most Americans are wearing?

"Safe" is a relative term. It doesn't mean you're guaranteed COVID if you walk into the grocery store. It means it's one of the more likely places to get it. It's basically a math equation. Your chance of getting COVID is a function of risk and time spent in a situation where you're exposed. The risk in the grocery store is relatively high because it's indoors, you're there for awhile, and there are a large number of people who are visiting. The only saving grace is that you're not there every day -- probably about once per week.

As I said, if you have a job where you have similar exposure, and you're there 40 hours a week, then another 45 minutes at the grocery store isn't going to do much to change your risk profile.

If you work from home, or if you work in a closed, non-customer-facing environment, then the grocery store becomes your greatest risk. This was especially true among retirees -- the ones at most risk by far! They don't work, and for many of them, the grocery store was the main form of indoor exposure they had! My mom told me of some of her friends who were over 80 and still going to the grocery store because they believed the mask and distancing would keep them safe. These were people who were otherwise staying at home.

Terrible and dangerous messaging. But you go on believing that the Democrats had everyone's safety in mind, and this messaging totally wasn't about beating Trump.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Question for gimmick:

How did so many people get COVID in the United States, and why wasn't it almost exclusively infecting anti-maskers and COVID deniers? How come many dark blue areas of blue states were so badly hit by COVID, even well into the pandemic when mask usage and distancing was at very high levels in such areas?

If the protocols pushed by Fauci and the media were so effective, and if those ignorant Trumpers were the main ones ignoring them, we should have seen red areas decimated by the virus, and blue areas experiencing it very lightly.

We didn't. Prior to the vaccinations, we saw every area of the country have its periods of spikes and improvements, with no apparent rhyme or reason. There was never any population behavior pattern traced to better or worse COVID outcomes in the US. Even when we thought we had found a pattern, subsequent months would prove us wrong.

The truth is that this is a very contagious disesase which spreads differently than colds and flus, and therefore can't be contained like you would a cold or flu epidemic. As I've said several times, our COVID protocols were great for flu prevention, but fairly useless for COVID prevention.

As much as I'm anti-lockdown, I'll actually agree that the forced closure of certain indoor spaces was the correct thing to do, but then it was completely fucked up on the other end by not allowing more opening of outdoor spaces, which both destroyed businesses and killed people (because they started getting together indoors, for lack of anything else to do).

Load Metric
    Question for gimmick:

How did so many people get COVID in the United States, and why wasn't it almost exclusively infecting anti-maskers and COVID deniers? How come many dark blue areas of blue states were so badly hit by COVID, even well into the pandemic when mask usage and distancing was at very high levels in such areas?

If the protocols pushed by Fauci and the media were so effective, and if those ignorant Trumpers were the main ones ignoring them, we should have seen red areas decimated by the virus, and blue areas experiencing it very lightly.

We didn't. Prior to the vaccinations, we saw every area of the country have its periods of spikes and improvements, with no apparent rhyme or reason. There was never any population behavior pattern traced to better or worse COVID outcomes in the US. Even when we thought we had found a pattern, subsequent months would prove us wrong.

The truth is that this is a very contagious disesase which spreads differently than colds and flus, and therefore can't be contained like you would a cold or flu epidemic. As I've said several times, our COVID protocols were great for flu prevention, but fairly useless for COVID prevention.

As much as I'm anti-lockdown, I'll actually agree that the forced closure of certain indoor spaces was the correct thing to do, but then it was completely fucked up on the other end by not allowing more opening of outdoor spaces, which both destroyed businesses and killed people (because they started getting together indoors, for lack of anything else to do).

florida.

take a lap druff.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    the curtain on act two is about to raise:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ninasha...deadly-fungus/
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Question for gimmick:

You fucked up the early testing. You can't be 6 weeks behind on that and expect anything else.

I don't know if you need to be told this, but masking is your strawman. I've never made any statements how your failure with covid tied to masks or if i did it's like the item number 7 or whatever on a list of ways to fuck up a pandemic response.

Comments

Sanlmar: Correct. Testing was not a priority in 2020. Fail

Load Metric

Grocery shopping is safe if you use a mask and keep your distance. If anything else was true we wouldn't be talking about just 500k dead.

Even you admitted that typical cloth masks weren't very useful. And guess what most Americans are wearing?

"Safe" is a relative term. It doesn't mean you're guaranteed COVID if you walk into the grocery store. It means it's one of the more likely places to get it. It's basically a math equation. Your chance of getting COVID is a function of risk and time spent in a situation where you're exposed. The risk in the grocery store is relatively high because it's indoors, you're there for awhile, and there are a large number of people who are visiting. The only saving grace is that you're not there every day -- probably about once per week.

As I said, if you have a job where you have similar exposure, and you're there 40 hours a week, then another 45 minutes at the grocery store isn't going to do much to change your risk profile.

If you work from home, or if you work in a closed, non-customer-facing environment, then the grocery store becomes your greatest risk. This was especially true among retirees -- the ones at most risk by far! They don't work, and for many of them, the grocery store was the main form of indoor exposure they had! My mom told me of some of her friends who were over 80 and still going to the grocery store because they believed the mask and distancing would keep them safe. These were people who were otherwise staying at home.

Terrible and dangerous messaging. But you go on believing that the Democrats had everyone's safety in mind, and this messaging totally wasn't about beating Trump.
    So the medical community around the world got together and they all decided to create this hoax just to defeat Trump. Yea that's not batshit crazy at all.

Infections work by threshold levels. Covid specifically isn't "tag you're it" type of a virus. Just going to a grocery store once a week is a lot safer than going to a grocery store when you're already getting bombarded at work. When i said going to a grocery store masked and distancing is safe, i say that as an average. If you're a fucking bubble boy, it's not. If you're over 80, it's also a lot riskier. There's pretty long list of things that are safe, but should be avoided if you're 80.

Load Metric
    Question for gimmick:

You fucked up the early testing. You can't be 6 weeks behind on that and expect anything else.

I don't know if you need to be told this, but masking is your strawman. I've never made any statements how your failure with covid tied to masks or if i did it's like the item number 7 or whatever on a list of ways to fuck up a pandemic response.
    Wait, so....compared to everyone else in the world, you think the US fucked up the response to a pandemic? The Canadians here, some of whom tend to think their country is the greatest in the world, half of their population is in lockdown again. Pandemic gonna pandemic.

Gimmick honest question.....do you think the US would be in a better spot now if Trump wasn't president in 2020? If you do....then I dunno what to tell ya.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Question for gimmick:

Fucked up early testing, huh?

You mean the tests which were (and still are) 70% effective at best?

You mean the tests which would have been impossible to administer at the speed required to prevent the spread of a super-contagious virus at the beginning of the pandemic?

Still trying to understand how a test with a 30% false negative rate is going to stop a super-contagious virus. Also I'm trying to figure out how you get people tested before they're contagious, since the most contagious days are the two BEFORE symptoms appear.

Oh, and apparently PCR tests have an even higher false negative rate before symptoms begin -- as high as 67%, and as high as 38% just as symptoms show up.

Did they figure out how to test people with 0% false negatives in Finland? Or are you just talking out your ass again?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Wait, so....compared to everyone else in the world, you think the US fucked up the response to a pandemic? The Canadians here, some of whom tend to think their country is the greatest in the world, half of their population is in lockdown again. Pandemic gonna pandemic.

Gimmick honest question.....do you think the US would be in a better spot now if Trump wasn't president in 2020? If you do....then I dunno what to tell ya.
    Yes, he thinks that, and he also thinks the US mainstream media messaging was totally fine, and not politically driven at all.

Definitely a guy living in reality.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    On the good news front, so far we are seeing only 0.01% of fully vaccinated Americans getting COVID, and that includes the lesser effective J&J vaccine.

So it's looking like your chance of getting COVID while vaccinated -- at least right now -- is close to ZERO POINT ZERO.

Load Metric
    They say that dental pain is the worst kind of pain. They haven’t read this thread.

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has purchased screen rights to The Premonition: A Pandemic Story, the new book by Michael Lewis about several U.S. heroes who, in the early days of Covid-19, tried to sound the alarm about the dangers of underestimating the deadly seriousness of the killer virus. Phil Lord & Christopher Miller will direct and produce along with Aditya Sood through their Lord Miller banner. They’re producing it with Amy Pascal, through her Pascal Pictures banner, along with Rachel O’Connor.
    I haven’t dug in but I’m sure it’s the gold standard on the subject.

Comments

Sheesfaced:

Load Metric
    On the good news front, so far we are seeing only 0.01% of fully vaccinated Americans getting COVID, and that includes the lesser effective J&J vaccine.

So it's looking like your chance of getting COVID while vaccinated -- at least right now -- is close to ZERO POINT ZERO.
    34% of American are fully vaccinated. That is my understanding. No one knows how long that will last.

You gotta keep truckin’.

Love ya Sheefaced. You read it yet?

Load Metric
    Do you know a white person who won’t get vaccinated that didn’t vote Trump and doesn’t think the election was stolen over 35? I truthfully don’t know one. It’s a complete overlap.

I think Trump mishandled the thing horribly and all this anti vax shit is his legacy. His words and minimization has outlived his presidency.

So how many deaths he’s responsible for before is debatable, but any deaths going forward, I view as his legacy completely except for the black community, which is only 13% of US population.

I’m legit curious if there are liberal anti vaxxers in Ca and NY now? I recall the Jenny McCarthy/Imus stuff back when, but I don’t know a single one now who won’t get vaccinated that isn’t a Trumper. Not a single one. I mean people you actually know?

The idea his words didn’t have weight and influence is nonsensical. They are putting in place people who are less conservative and censuring people every day for simply telling the truth. The only metric is will you agree to his lies. That’s after he’s gone with no twitter pulpit. That his constant hoax shit didn’t influence behavior seems nonsensical to even argue. He influenced behavior then and now and it creates death. I don’t see how that’s even an argument.

Load Metric

Fucked up early testing, huh?

You mean the tests which were (and still are) 70% effective at best?

You mean the tests which would have been impossible to administer at the speed required to prevent the spread of a super-contagious virus at the beginning of the pandemic?

Still trying to understand how a test with a 30% false negative rate is going to stop a super-contagious virus. Also I'm trying to figure out how you get people tested before they're contagious, since the most contagious days are the two BEFORE symptoms appear.

Oh, and apparently PCR tests have an even higher false negative rate before symptoms begin -- as high as 67%, and as high as 38% just as symptoms show up.

Did they figure out how to test people with 0% false negatives in Finland? Or are you just talking out your ass again?
    Well we've already been through this testing crap before. Including the toddler version how contact tracing gets ahead of the virus.

There are very few tests for anything that are 100% accurate. User error in administering the test being the most common bringing the average down and window period being the other.

Since this time around you seem to be interested in strawman arguments the bolded line above is one of those. After 40 years this is where hiv testing is at, "The window period for a 4th generation antigen/antibody test is about four weeks. By this time 95% of infections will be detected".

And still testing saves lives.

We use testing to inform us of what mitigating policy decisions are appropriate for any given time and place. Mandates for social distancing such as closing of schools, businesses or travel restrictions.

You don't need an accurate number for it and you never have an accurate number for it. Analysts are always forced to extrapolate off something. Test, it's accuracy, availability, people that wont get tested and other shit depending on the virus. When it comes to mitigating something you're always better off by having access to test infected instead going by probable cause of death.

The Trump Death Clock was/is based on starting the mitigation one week earlier than you did. Seven days. Your usual strawman here is months. Seven days matters with exponential growth a lot. Masking and physical distancing were never part of that equation.

Load Metric
    I remember perky Katie Couric. I hate perky. She was not very annoying here. The interview got better as it rolled along. Lots of nuggets.

Interview with one of the principal Doctors in the story and the first time he saw evidence of the pandemic.

The book is gonna make the pandemic read like a thriller.

The criticism of the CDC. Acknowledging Bush kicked off action on a pandemic response then the CDC kinda ground to a halt over the decades until Trump killed it. There is some token Obama criticism.

There is a presumption you know some things about the Trump transition and the Federal Agencies. Fifth Risk subject matter. You’ll be fine though.

I keep getting interrupted so I haven’t seen the end yet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Everyone else in the world wasn't a part of Druffs question. He was babbling something about masks and physical distancing. There might have been some partisan crap mixed in.

When the question is why did so many get infected, it starts with lack of testing. You need something to sell the public the need for mandates. Those mandates slow the spread to manageable, if you pull the trigger in time. You mostly missed that window.

I don't think just US would be in better place without Trump. The world would be.

Load Metric
    Druff is weaponizing the mask issue for his political purposes but the CDC was crushed by Trump. Not gonna get too involved with this.

Bush began pandemic planning so this isn’t always a political story with regards to the CDC.

Thread Information