Page 595 of 946 FirstFirst ... 95495545585591592593594595596597598599605645695 ... LastLast
Results 11,881 to 11,900 of 18903

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Nope.

"The report, which described a "dramatic" correlation between countries' COVID-19 death and obesity rates, found that 90% or 2.2 million of the 2.5 million deaths from the pandemic disease so far were in countries with high levels of obesity."

Preventing diseases isn't really big with healthcare models that are based in health insurance. If it helps you can blame Obama care, though i'm still guessing most people would still rather pay higher premiums than lose weight.
    90% deaths are in fat-ass countries. The number of dead that are fat-asses is smaller. Last study that i remember came from UK, a fat-ass country, where obesity increased chance of death about 50%.

Load Metric
    Fat people should be required to step on a scale before being permitted to buy shit like ice cream and fast food. They have totally fucked up the health care system.

Comments

splitthis:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    split is half right.

Obesity greatly increases the chance of death, especially among those under 65.

However, the biggest factor contributing to COVID death is age, and it's not even close. Way better to catch COVID as an obese 50-year-old than as a fit 80-year-old. Neither is good, but the obese 50-year-old has a much better chance of survival.

Also, there isn't data backing that people who are overweight or moderately obese are in much additional danger. It seems that BMI of 40+ is the range where it starts to really increase your bad outcome rate with COVID. Laughably, Washington DC gave priority to everyone whose BMI is over 25, which means that a 6-foot man who weighs 185 would be considered "obese" by DC standards, and would get priority. This idiocy was part of DC's attempt to give racial preference, knowing that black people have higher rates of being overweight than other races.

My BMI is around 28, by the way. There isn't any evidence that a BMI of 28 is a problem, COVID-wise.

My personal risk factors are age (49 -- moderate risk), type A blood, hypertension (though mine isn't that bad), and being tall. The height thing doesn't have worse outcomes once you catch COVID, but it does increase your risk of catching COVID indoors. The exact reason for this isn't understood, but it's believed to possibly be related to heat/AC systems pushing air around the room, where you are "above" others in the room, and there's a more clear path for the virus to be pushed into your nasal cavity, whereas others will be somewhat blocked by others' heads.

Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    90% deaths are in fat-ass countries. The number of dead that are fat-asses is smaller. Last study that i remember came from UK, a fat-ass country, where obesity increased chance of death about 50%.
    I always thought Finland was a fat ass country. Not to the same extent as the US, but rates comparable to other 1st world countries.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I know math is hard in Portland, but note that the US has the third largest population in the world, and the two larger population countries are either corrupt (China) or unlikely keeping accurate records (India), or both (China).

The way you do this is by deaths per million population.

This leaves the US 10th worst in the world, doing better than Portugal, Italy, UK, Belgium, and others.

The ones slightly "better" than the US have different counting procedures of what they consider a "COVID death", and many would also be worse than us if we all used the same counting standard.

So, no, we are not a "laughingstock" regarding COVID, at least not among smart people who understand what they're talking about.

The US could have indeed done better regarding COVID deaths, though it was going to be bad even if we had perfect leadership. That's just the nature of the way the citizenry of our country operates. The most preventable deaths were in the nursing homes, as those should have been highly protected, given that we recognized early on that they were the most vulnerable. Most states did not protect nursing homes well, and a few (Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan) actually mandated that COVID positive patients be forced into those places.

Guess which political party those governors came from?
    LOL math is hard. 500k+ equals 500k+. LOL Team Retard moving goal posts. Notice I didn't even blame King Retard for this?

We absolutely are the laughingstock of the world, as well we should be, for COVID response and a million other reasons. How many other countries politicized a fucking pandemic and have their leader openly speculating whether or not injecting bleach will cure it?

LOL your party has fucking Q members setting policy.

BuT deAtHs pEr MiLliOnS lol lol. Happy Q day faggot.
    Democrat governors are to blame for this mess, thank your side for the politicization of the virus, for forcing mask mandates and lockdowns proven not to work!

LOL AOC lover

Load Metric
    The recommendations for disease prevention is 10 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. Most Americans don’t get any. 10 is nothing. It’s easy when you cut out all the crap. That shit is killing you. Join a gym. Don’t be a statistic.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PROUDBOY MAGA 2024 View Post

I always thought Finland was a fat ass country. Not to the same extent as the US, but rates comparable to other 1st world countries.
    Looks like Finland is worse than average as far as obesity in Europe, but not nearly as bad as the UK:

https://www.euro.who.int/__data/asse...ry-Profile.pdf

Load Metric

Comparable.

Finland is at 10/100k deaths, 58% overweight and 22% obesity.

Norway is at 8/100k deaths, 58% overweight and 23% obesity.

US is at 105/100k deaths, 67% overweight and 36% obesity.

UK is at 110/100k deaths, 63% overweight and 27% obesity.

I was mostly just explaining what the study found and it wasn't 90% dead were obese. The weight numbers used in the study were from the slim years of 2016. The trajectory of weight gain since the 50s has been pretty steep so who knows what numbers were for 2020.

Also lets all do what Sweden did. 85/100k dead, 56% and 21%. All Nordic countries are so small that they don't move that 90% number on their own to any direction. I think the biggest correlation was that most or all over 60% overweight countries were in 100/100k deaths region and it might have more to do with how overweight correlates with obesity.

Load Metric
    Looks like Finland is worse than average as far as obesity in Europe, but not nearly as bad as the UK:

https://www.euro.who.int/__data/asse...ry-Profile.pdf
    2008 and slightly exaggerating about half those countries are former Soviet Union. Places like Tajikistan and Uzbekistan that are in Central Asia.

edit: It's an old WHO classification where any country in Commonwealth of Independent States (part of USSR) was grandfathered as part of Europe. Some of those are closer to Mongolia than Germany.
    Last edited by gimmick; 03-04-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Load Metric
    Me and Mama got our 1st vax yesterday (Physer). I woke up with massive headache and sore arm. She only had sore arm. We both were extremely tired today. Will report how 2nd one goes.

Load Metric
    Comparable.

I was mostly just explaining what the study found and it wasn't 90% dead were obese. The weight numbers used in the study were from the slim years of 2016. The trajectory of weight gain since the 50s has been pretty steep so who knows what numbers were for 2020.

Also lets all do what Sweden did. 85/100k dead, 56% and 21%. All Nordic countries are so small that they don't move that 90% number on their own to any direction. I think the biggest correlation was that most or all over 60% overweight countries were in 100/100k deaths region and it might have more to do with how overweight correlates with obesity.

Would you attribute American fast food or whatever fast food is available in Finland to raise in obesity? I find myself constantly having to reevaluate what I think of as fat ethnic populations once they are exposed to fast food.

Hispanics are the fattest large population here in US. I read a stat last week where 1/3 nurse deaths in US were Filipinos, despite only representing 4% of all nurses. It put me down the rabbit hole of why.

It was a double whammy. They live in large metropolitan areas where virus hit hardest, but seem to now be the fattest demo and it’s went from like 4% overweight to 60 in 30 years. I used to think of adult Filipino women as smallish, but not overly fat. Clearly they’re obese now. Much like Hispanics, most don’t have the height to fade any real weight gain.

Strikes me fast food in every country is worse than cancer and Covid and all put together. I can eat almost anything and maintain weight at home.

If I eat fast food more than just once in a blue moon when I have no other options or drink soft drinks, those two things are the only thing in the world that make me gain weight in any real sense. I can eat almost anything I made at home and with working out, be fine. Add those 2, I’ll jump.

Can’t think of any other reason the world is getting so fat .

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Fat people should be required to step on a scale before being permitted to buy shit like ice cream and fast food. They have totally fucked up the health care system.
    So apparently this is some more of that, Orange County California rich kid logic. LOL you must have to of got hit in the head harder then me. Government or any Authority shouldn't ever be telling people what they can and cant eat, or buy.

Seagull you do crack me up. And with you, I do actually think its just pure naivety. You really are this grew up in a box, think you know it all type. Its great, and you seem to think we all live in boxs too right haha.... You did actually grown up in a 'Bubble' of sorts maybe. And where you just seem to think, everyone with a College Degree is smarter, or like here, you think being fat is just a choice for most. No you fucking retard have you ever understood what Genetics are.

Anyway, haha more Seagull logic

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post

Nope.

"The report, which described a "dramatic" correlation between countries' COVID-19 death and obesity rates, found that 90% or 2.2 million of the 2.5 million deaths from the pandemic disease so far were in countries with high levels of obesity."

Preventing diseases isn't really big with healthcare models that are based in health insurance. If it helps you can blame Obama care, though i'm still guessing most people would still rather pay higher premiums than lose weight.
    Paying higher premiums is the least of obese Americans problems. Obesity as an epidemic makes a lot of money, people are just too stupid to realize their slow painful early death is wanted by corporate and mainstream medical entities.

It’s criminal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGreek View Post
    Me and Mama got our 1st vax yesterday (Physer). I woke up with massive headache and sore arm. She only had sore arm. We both were extremely tired today. Will report how 2nd one goes.
    Glad you got the vaccine. I was concerned about you, given that you're late 70s and said you were going out a lot.

Second dose will have worse side effects, but they will only last 24-48 hours.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Comparable.

Would you attribute American fast food or whatever fast food is available in Finland to raise in obesity? I find myself constantly having to reevaluate what I think of as fat ethnic populations once they are exposed to fast food.

Hispanics are the fattest large population here in US. I read a stat last week where 1/3 nurse deaths in US were Filipinos, despite only representing 4% of all nurses. It put me down the rabbit hole of why.

It was a double whammy. They live in large metropolitan areas where virus hit hardest, but seem to now be the fattest demo and it’s went from like 4% overweight to 60 in 30 years. I used to think of adult Filipino women as smallish, but not overly fat. Clearly they’re obese now. Much like Hispanics, most don’t have the height to fade any real weight gain.

Strikes me fast food in every country is worse than cancer and Covid and all put together. I can eat almost anything and maintain weight at home.

If I eat fast food more than just once in a blue moon when I have no other options or drink soft drinks, those two things are the only thing in the world that make me gain weight in any real sense. I can eat almost anything I made at home and with working out, be fine. Add those 2, I’ll jump.

More sedentary life style and access to low nutrient high fat/sugar content food. Genetics play a part in that i don't have huge appetite, i can barely gain weight and it's relatively effortless for me to lose it. Might be different in 10 years. I'm in awful shape regarding strength/stamina, just not weight gain.

Why some of the migrant groups have been hit harder could have something to do with living conditions, working conditions and how easily they can take a sick leave. Fear of losing your job and financial security. Latinos kinda got hit with those things. Migrant status and supporting extended family outside US.

Dunno if Pinoy are part of Asia with a wide concept of family, where they are expected to support less well off members.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Burbank, CA high school suspended its baseball team because 8 members took a picture together outdoors without a mask.

LOL Team Feelings

https://abc7.com/burbank-baseball-te...otos/10386244/

All of this is such performative bullshit.

MASK UP!!!!!

Comments

OSA: 3rd kid from the left would get it behind the bleachers

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

More sedentary life style and access to low nutrient high fat/sugar content food. Genetics play a part in that i don't have huge appetite, i can barely gain weight and it's relatively effortless for me to lose it. Might be different in 10 years. I'm in awful shape regarding strength/stamina, just not weight gain.

Why some of the migrant groups have been hit harder could have something to do with living conditions, working conditions and how easily they can take a sick leave. Fear of losing your job and financial security. Latinos kinda got hit with those things. Migrant status and supporting extended family outside US.

Dunno if Pinoy are part of Asia with a wide concept of family, where they are expected to support less well off members.
    The way we work is definitely a large part of it. Used to be many in manual labor. It’s not that most of Europe is fat compared to the US, but much fatter than US in 1950. You can draw a straight line in Mexico and the introduction of fast food, and they still work manual labor for the most part. They always ate bad imo. I’d go to Mexico and think how are these people skinny? Not now. Now they’re obese, worse if they’re here, but it’s just strange to see half of Europe at 50% overweight. I don’t think that was the case even 20 years ago.

Comments

gimmick: i think it has been the trend everywhere with economic growth

Load Metric
    Burbank, CA high school suspended its baseball team because 8 members took a picture together outdoors without a mask.

LOL Team Feelings

https://abc7.com/burbank-baseball-te...otos/10386244/

All of this is such performative bullshit.

MASK UP!!!!!
    LOL, SCIENCE!

ROFL TEAM PEDOPHILE

Silver
    Load Metric
    split is half right.

Obesity greatly increases the chance of death, especially among those under 65.

However, the biggest factor contributing to COVID death is age, and it's not even close. Way better to catch COVID as an obese 50-year-old than as a fit 80-year-old. Neither is good, but the obese 50-year-old has a much better chance of survival.

Also, there isn't data backing that people who are overweight or moderately obese are in much additional danger. It seems that BMI of 40+ is the range where it starts to really increase your bad outcome rate with COVID. Laughably, Washington DC gave priority to everyone whose BMI is over 25, which means that a 6-foot man who weighs 185 would be considered "obese" by DC standards, and would get priority. This idiocy was part of DC's attempt to give racial preference, knowing that black people have higher rates of being overweight than other races.

My BMI is around 28, by the way. There isn't any evidence that a BMI of 28 is a problem, COVID-wise.

My personal risk factors are age (49 -- moderate risk), type A blood, hypertension (though mine isn't that bad), and being tall. The height thing doesn't have worse outcomes once you catch COVID, but it does increase your risk of catching COVID indoors. The exact reason for this isn't understood, but it's believed to possibly be related to heat/AC systems pushing air around the room, where you are "above" others in the room, and there's a more clear path for the virus to be pushed into your nasal cavity, whereas others will be somewhat blocked by others' heads.
    Aren't males dying at a 2x rate? That's probably your biggest risk factor.

I'd say a female < 50 with != Type A blood is close to 0.0 to die of Covid.

Thread Information