Page 59 of 948 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159559 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 18959

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    I guess airlines and the cruise ship industry will take a hit.

I wonder if you can travel cheap on cruise ships now?

Load Metric
    A Princess Cruises ship is — again — the source of a potential coronavirus outbreak

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/05/...-outbreak.html

I'm sure you can make extra money by shorting Carnival corp. stock.

Want to get Coronavirus?

Take a Carnival/Princess cruise?

Load Metric
    Two New York City residents and another nine people who live in surrounding counties have tested positive for the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases in the state to 22, officials said Thursday.
    The New York City patients, who don't have a known connection to any of the previous cases, were confirmed to have the virus late Wednesday night, a spokeswoman for New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said. One is a Manhattan man in his 40s, and the other is a Brooklyn woman in her 80s, city officials said.
    Both of the new patients in the city have been hospitalized, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday. In addition, a 42-year-old person from Long Island has also tested positive for the virus and has been hospitalized, state officials said.
    The largest cluster of cases remains in Westchester County . State officials said Thursday that an additional eight people in the county tested positive for the virus overnight and were under quarantine in their homes.
    That brings the total number of confirmed infections in Westchester County to 18, including a 50-year-old lawyer from New Rochelle who was the second New Yorker to test positive, state health officials said.
    The lawyer remains hospitalized in Manhattan and his condition is improving, New York State Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker said. Mr. Cuomo said all of the new cases in Westchester County are tied to contact with the man.
    Officials said that they expect the number of cases to grow, but that 80% of patients will experience flulike symptoms and "self-resolve" at home. They urged people to wash hands frequently and to remain at home if they exhibit signs of illness.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: westchester county ny rep
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Religious schools have been shut.
    Some festivities for the Jewish holiday of Purim are up in the air.
    And officials in Westchester County, N.Y. , estimate 1,000 people are quarantined at home after a well-attended bat mitzvah and funeral.
    The case of a seriously ill father with deep roots in a modern Orthodox community shows how quickly coronavirus can spread in circles that live, go to school and attend services together. As of Thursday, officials said 18 people in Westchester had been diagnosed with Covid-19, and all those cases were tied to contact with that man.
    Rabbis said the connectedness of their community is a great strength, but when a contagious illness strikes, the vast network of links among families can make it especially hard to control infection.
    "When you're in a tightknit kind of society, there's lots of opportunities for interaction," said Rabbi Yonah Berman at YCT Rabbinical School , in the Bronx's Riverdale section, which has been affected. "When people are told to step back from that interaction, that's harder than it would be in communities where individuals keep more to themselves."
    Rabbis throughout the New York City area are adjusting the customs of a traditional Jewish culture as they tried to halt the escalation of illness.
    They sent congregations a range of warnings: Please don't kiss the Torah or mezuzah, a small scroll in a case attached to the doorway of many homes. Please don't come to services or ritual baths if you feel any symptoms. And please don't reach out to shake hands lest someone feel obliged to reciprocate.
    A Westchester attorney became the second person in New York to test positive for the novel coronavirus on Tuesday. His wife, son and daughter were diagnosed with it as well, state officials said. Only the attorney is hospitalized in serious condition. His family is in quarantine at home in New Rochelle . A neighbor and friends -- five people in a local family -- also tested positive for the virus, officials said.
    As of Thursday, a total of 22 people in New York had the virus, according to state officials.
    After the attorney was diagnosed, his synagogue, Young Israel of New Rochelle , said it was halting services through Sunday because of potential exposure tied to him. Further, county health officials said people who attended services there on Feb. 22 , and a funeral and a bat mitzvah on Feb. 23 , must self-quarantine until at least Sunday.
    Samuel Heilman , a Queens College professor of sociology quarantined after going to the Feb. 23 funeral, said hundreds of mourners attended the funeral because it was for a founder of the synagogue.
    Many congregants "are neighbors and friends, and live within walking distance," he said, and after weekly religious services they have a reception. " Everyone is eating at the same time, talking and touching each other," he said. "All of those things can increase the likelihood of transfer."
    Westchester County officials alerted residents about these quarantine rules quickly through email blasts, social media, rabbis and school leaders.
    State and county officials said they were working together to identify the universe of people who might have been exposed to individuals known to have coronavirus.
    This is the first instance of community spread in New York . Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that such a case could have happened anywhere -- "and it will."
    The governor called the case "one of the more complicated situations that we've come across because of the number of interconnections that this family has presented."
    Each infected person is being investigated in an attempt to limit the number of additional infections. The governor said people in self-isolation are being contacted by the county, state, schools or other private organizations.
    The school attended by the daughter of the attorney, SAR High School , said it would remain closed until Wednesday, and its lower school, SAR Academy , will reopen Monday. Some classes were held online.
    Yeshiva University , where the attorney's son is a student, has canceled classes and events until after March 10 .
    Rabbi Reuven Fink of Young Israel of New Rochelle said in an email to his congregation that obeying the quarantine order is a "sacred obligation."
    The rabbi explained practices that could shift. For example, he said people who need to say Kaddish, a mourner's prayer by a quorum of 10 men, could do it after the quarantine is lifted.
    Hundreds of thousands of Orthodox Jews lived in New York City , Westchester and Long Island's Suffolk and Nassau counties, according to experts.
    Many travel for events. The Jewish Educational Center in Elizabeth, N.J. , alerted families Wednesday night that some students who attended the New Rochelle bat mitzvah last month were in self-quarantine, and none had shown signs of illness.
    Three sisters were sent home Wednesday from Bnos Yisroel of Baltimore , a private school, because they went to a March 1 bas mitzvah in White Plains, N.Y. , attended by one of the New Rochelle residents who tested positive, school officials said. They said the girls showed no symptoms and are in quarantine.
    The virus hit shortly before Purim, a holiday commemorating the salvation of the Jewish people in ancient Persia. It will be celebrated next week, on Monday night and Tuesday, when families often visit dozens of homes to drop off gifts of food. Several rabbis suggested families scale back such plans.
    Rabbi Mark Dratch , executive vice president of the Rabbinical Council of America , the umbrella group for modern Orthodox rabbis, said rabbis planned a conference call Thursday to discuss how congregants who might still be under quarantine could hear the traditional Purim reading of the scroll of Esther on Monday, perhaps by telephone or video hookup.
    "People may be uncomfortable because it's not typical, but because of the emergency nature of the situation, they may have to take advantage of it," Mr. Dratch said. Such high-tech alternatives wouldn't work, however, for services on the Sabbath from dusk Friday through Saturday, when Orthodox Jews are barred from using technology, he said.
    The Mikvah of New Rochelle , a facility offering ritual baths, closed Tuesday night and remained shut Wednesday. In New Jersey's Bergen County , the Teaneck Mikvah Association asked clients feeling flulike symptoms to get clearance from their doctors before coming. Orthodox women are supposed to use such ritual baths after they finish their monthly period and before they can have intimate contact with their husbands.
    Members of Young Israel of New Rochelle said they were praying for the families that fell ill. Janet Waller , who is in quarantine, said more than 40 women were following a tradition of baking challah bread and saying a blessing of healing.
    "Our community is coming together, and people are praying very, very hard," she said.

thank you kanye very cool

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    who don't have a known connection to any of the previous cases
    I saw this earlier. The most chilling sentence. They hadn’t travelled and weren’t connected to each other. I’d like to see that math infectious guy from Seattle you tweeted the other day run the numbers on what that suggests in terms of cases.

Load Metric
    I shop in costco which is in new rochelle. My son has been psyched to go on a schoot tripe to Washingon Dc just got notification they canceled it. He is going to be very disappointed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Two New York City residents and another nine people who live in surrounding counties have tested positive for the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases in the state to 22, officials said Thursday.
    The New York City patients, who don't have a known connection to any of the previous cases, were confirmed to have the virus late Wednesday night, a spokeswoman for New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said. One is a Manhattan man in his 40s, and the other is a Brooklyn woman in her 80s, city officials said.
    Both of the new patients in the city have been hospitalized, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday. In addition, a 42-year-old person from Long Island has also tested positive for the virus and has been hospitalized, state officials said.
    The largest cluster of cases remains in Westchester County . State officials said Thursday that an additional eight people in the county tested positive for the virus overnight and were under quarantine in their homes.
    That brings the total number of confirmed infections in Westchester County to 18, including a 50-year-old lawyer from New Rochelle who was the second New Yorker to test positive, state health officials said.
    The lawyer remains hospitalized in Manhattan and his condition is improving, New York State Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker said. Mr. Cuomo said all of the new cases in Westchester County are tied to contact with the man.
    Officials said that they expect the number of cases to grow, but that 80% of patients will experience flulike symptoms and "self-resolve" at home. They urged people to wash hands frequently and to remain at home if they exhibit signs of illness.
    When I first read this story earlier today, I was struck by the lack of information provided about how these New York residents might could have contracted this virus. All that seems to be shared in the articles is that there doesn’t seem to be an *obvious* connection. It seems like an intentional withholding of significant details by authorities to avoid stoking potential panic.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    Have a trip booked to Vegas seven weeks from today for March Madness.

Current odds my trip gets canceled? My current line is 12:1.

I’ll be pretty devastated if it does as pulling off a trip like this is no easy task at this stage in my life.
    ^posted this 1/30. Current line is definitely worse than 12:1. Probably closer to 50/50 at this point but as of today I’m still planning on going. Not sure about the rest of our group.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

When I first read this story earlier today, I was struck by the lack of information provided about how these New York residents might could have contracted this virus. All that seems to be shared in the articles is that there doesn’t seem to be an *obvious* connection. It seems like an intentional withholding of significant details by authorities to avoid stoking potential panic.
    Its a super contagious virus that has a long incubation period and apparently a lot of people that have it are asymptomatic or have very mild disease, including ALL children. In a free, open society a virus like this is gonna spread. It is inevitable. Truthfully, the specifics of spread don't really matter all that much at this point.

Yes, it would be better if the executive branch of our government was more competent and Pence wasn't in charge of the show. But truthfully, it wouldn't matter too much as far as spreading. It is gonna spread. What a more competent approach would probably accomplish is increase early detection in vulnerable people, lower morbidity/mortality, and cause less panic and anxiousness.

Load Metric
    Am I paranoid to think that this virus was released on purpose by China? I hope the powers that be don't decide to put us into concentration type camps. This is turning out to be a middle age type plague.

Load Metric
    There have been other coronavirus outbreaks before in the middle east that affected a lot less people.

There is over a Billion people in China.

They eat a bunch of weird horrible food like wild bats that get infected with diseases.

It was only matter of time that another disease originated from there.

Flu season almost over. That should help stop the spread of coronavirus but it may return in the fall when it gets cold again.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Headed to Anaheim to do the Disneyland thing for a few days, so I'm sure we're a lock to get it and bring it back with us.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Chill ladies.

Name:  84EEEF33-2F9A-4A78-BBC7-D46F1F093DC3.jpeg
Views: 540
Size:  292.1 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

Its a super contagious virus that has a long incubation period and apparently a lot of people that have it are asymptomatic or have very mild disease, including ALL children. In a free, open society a virus like this is gonna spread. It is inevitable. Truthfully, the specifics of spread don't really matter all that much at this point.

Yes, it would be better if the executive branch of our government was more competent and Pence wasn't in charge of the show. But truthfully, it wouldn't matter too much as far as spreading. It is gonna spread. What a more competent approach would probably accomplish is increase early detection in vulnerable people, lower morbidity/mortality, and cause less panic and anxiousness.
    As much as I detest Team Trump, I actually don’t think they deserve as much criticism as they deserve for how quickly it has spread given how long the incubation period appears to be. For example, a relative of some of the first wave of fatally infected in that nursing home in Washington state seems to have contract the virus and carried it back home to North Carolina without showing any symptoms, whereby it then spread to family and friends there.

https://apple.news/A0NzZdo3QRSWMljAPP7ZlMg

Meaning, regardless of how effective the authorities could have been I n trying to stem its spread short of a super strict and effective quarantines that include shutting down almost long distance/ air travel, this thing looks like it would have inevitably spread throughout the country.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

MumblesBadly: I’m speechless.
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    NYC Public Transportation.

Comments

OSA: correct

BCR: Yep. All from a commuter to the city.

Load Metric
    Some guy selling hot dogs at an XFL game on Feb 22 just tested positive.

https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/...ed-coronavirus

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    If we ever get enough tests, we will jump from 400 cases to 10000 in a few days. And that will just be people really sick who knew they were exposed to it.

I’m pretty convinced the lack of tests is intentional. South Korea is testing 20000 people a day. We have done less than 1500 tests total and will have 250 cases officially by tomorrow afternoon 233 now.

They simply don’t want it known how many cases we have for economic/political/panic reasons.

Thread Information