Page 49 of 946 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149549 ... LastLast

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    every inch of this is a PR play and wow is it not landing.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I’m not sure any of these people even know who died. Reported as 50. 19 year old. Trump says late 50s woman who was sick .

Governor of Washington saying condolences to his family.

Load Metric
    aaaaaaaaand now trump is trashing the fed.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    aaaaaaaaand now trump is trashing the fed.

someone just asked about the market and trump literally said it will fix itself once the fed does its job.

Load Metric
    can you imagine hilarys more nuanced response stop posting about this and fix the bernie suit situation

Load Metric
    Name:  OnlyAdorableAoudad-small.gif
Views: 377
Size:  621.7 KB

Load Metric
    burn down the disco

hang the blessed DJ

Load Metric
    Sonatine & Lol wow; maybe you two should get a room
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    some dude got stuck in mandatory quarantine and the hospital just billed him $4000 for it.

Load Metric
    some dude got stuck in mandatory quarantine and the hospital just billed him $4000 for it.
    thanks Obama

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    im so confused, druff said this was all a democrat hoax.

and right wingers are so scientifically literate, its so confusing yall.
    Come on, you know I didn't say that.

Speaking of Pence, do you think Trump should have appointed a Republican operative as the coordinator for the coronavirus response instead? Because that's what Obama did during the 2014 Ebola scare. He appointed Ron Klain, a Democratic political operative, to head the entire thing.

I don't recall the outrage from the left about that one. Because, you know, everything Obama did was supposed to be great and well conceived.

I said earlier that Trump "hasn't handled this particularly well", but I didn't clarify what I meant. His mistake was that he didn't hand this over to his experts and shut up. The problem is that he doesn't think before he speaks or tweets, and ends up saying stupid things.

However, Trump's errors thus far have mostly been in speech and not action. The market crash was not at all Trump's fault. What little coronavirus exists in the US thus far isn't Trump's fault. Any economic fallout we have in 2020 is not Trump's fault.

He never called the virus a hoax, and Democrats know that, but that isn't stopping every intellectually dishonest politician or social media figure from putting out that he called it a hoax. They know his "hoax" line was about the Democratic/media response to his handling of it, but they're getting as much anti-Trump mileage as they can.

Apparently some people on here are trying to do the same, which is foolish because this is an 8th tier poker forum, and nobody outside of this place cares what we think.

Sad!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Let's steer this away from politics if we can.

I want to talk about the chances the WSOP is cancelled.

As already posted, Mike McDonald was willing to take 12:1 odds up to $24k (that is, you win $2k, he wins $24k) that the WSOP won't happen.

I almost insta-messaged him and offered to bet the full $24k, seeing it as a free $2k. Then I decided not to do so, and I'll explain why.

On the surface, it looks like a great bet. The WSOP begins in 3 months. If a single bracelet event takes place, you win the bet, even if the rest of the WSOP is cancelled afterwards. However, we haven't faced anything quite as scary as the coronavirus in my lifetime, and that means the government response to even an early outbreak might be more severe than you'd otherwise expect. Some people are comparing it to SARS or bird flu, but I disagree. Neither of those caused anywhere near the hysteria that the coronavirus is currently causing, and both occurred in the modern 2000s era.

Japan has already closed its schools. Another country (I forget which one) has disallowed gatherings of more than 1,000 people.

While Caesars would not voluntarily cancel the WSOP (given the huge profits it brings in), I could see some form of government restriction within 3 months prohibiting an event like that from taking place. For example, if the "gatherings of 1,000 people or more" restriction takes place here, that would be the end of the WSOP.

I don't see this as likely, but I see it as possible. I'm not sure if the chance is lower than 8%, so I didn't want to make that bet. Anything can happen right now. We're staring into a great unknown. Governments do weird things when mass public fear is involved.

On a side note, I will probably cancel my own WSOP plans if I feel the coronavirus is a danger. If it were held today, I would play. However, it could be worse three months from now. Wouldn't be worth taking the chance, especially since I could bring it home to my family -- something I'd never forgive myself for doing.

Load Metric
    This tweet does not make sense:

U.S. Surgeon General

@Surgeon_General

Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!

They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!

http://
    bit.ly/37Ay6Cm

WTF? So somehow the masks are effective for medical workers but not for the general public? How does the mask know the wearer is medical pro? That isn't making sense to me...

And if the supply is so limited, then the government should send a fleet of tractor trailers to warehouses/factories of Curad/Johnson & Johnson etc and seize.
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 02-29-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Load Metric
    When most of Los Angeles have turned into zombies, then will you blame Trump?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

U.S. Surgeon General

@Surgeon_General

They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!

bit.ly/37Ay6Cm

WTF? So somehow the masks are effective for medical workers but not for the general public? How does the mask know the wearer is medical pro? That isn't making sense to me...

And if the supply is so limited, then the government should send a fleet of tractor trailers to warehouses/factories of Curad/Johnson & Johnson etc warehouses and seize it.
    That does seem weird, but I think I understand what is being said.

Healthcare professionals have a specific protocol to keep germs away from themselves, including a very rigorous handwashing/scrubbing routine. The mask is just a part of that.

I think they're trying to say that wearing a mask but otherwise going about your daily life normally isn't going to do much for you, and you'll hog up the masks from those who need them as part of a germ prevention regimen in hospitals.

It's kind of like telling someone to leave the limited Diet Coke supply at a restaurant for those actually dieting, and how it's not going to work for you if you're having it as part of a large, high-calorie meal.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

U.S. Surgeon General

@Surgeon_General

bit.ly/37Ay6Cm

And if the supply is so limited, then the government should send a fleet of tractor trailers to warehouses/factories of Curad/Johnson & Johnson etc warehouses and seize it.

Healthcare professionals have a specific protocol to keep germs away from themselves, including a very rigorous handwashing/scrubbing routine. The mask is just a part of that.

I think they're trying to say that wearing a mask but otherwise going about your daily life normally isn't going to do much for you, and you'll hog up the masks from those who need them as part of a germ prevention regimen in hospitals.

It's kind of like telling someone to leave the limited Diet Coke supply at a restaurant for those actually dieting, and how it's not going to work for you if you're having it as part of a large, high-calorie meal.
    so if someone is not wearing a mask, stay away? otherwise you are taking a chance of being dosed

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

so if someone is not wearing a mask, stay away? otherwise you are taking a chance of being dosed
    I have to think that everyone wearing masks would lower the chance of catching the coronavirus, especially if it's mainly being caught through the air rather than from surfaces -- or if it's both. (I don't think this has been determined yet either way.)

However, they probably need masks badly enough to where healthcare workers are thought to be in much more urgent need of them. Rather than saying, "A mask will help a little bit, but not enough to justify creating a huge shortage of them", they are simplifying it by saying, "A mask won't help. Leave them for healthcare workers."

Load Metric
    How do they not have more than enough masks for healthcare workers anyway? They're just picking them up at Walgreens but can't now because they're sold out? Come on.

But seriously, buy your masks now. You don't need them, but if we get a pandemic you're gonna want them and won't be able to.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    How do they not have more than enough masks for healthcare workers anyway? They're just picking them up at Walgreens but can't now because they're sold out? Come on.

But seriously, buy your masks now. You don't need them, but if we get a pandemic you're gonna want them and won't be able to.
    Isn't it already too late to get them?

Load Metric
    These N95/N99 masks are available for about $30 each.

Wear them when you go to the bank.

Thread Information