Page 333 of 947 FirstFirst ... 233283323329330331332333334335336337343383433833 ... LastLast
Results 6,641 to 6,660 of 18936

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    And LOL at this contact tracing. Does anyone really think in this country that will work? Tell you what, go into South Chicago 9am on a Saturday and ask some 20 somethings who they were around the last few days. See how that goes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

I’d be legitimately interested in hearing about the antibody test samples. You quote 15-20% which Im sure is factually true as you have proved to be well into the details of things you post about. I’ve been reading stories like the pork plant in Missouri where a few people out of the ~1000 employees started to call out so they had everyone tested. 373 of the 1000 came back as positive. Most had no idea they had it and were completely asymptomatic. Asymptomatic people aren’t getting tested. I know 10 people in Massachusetts who are 80%+ sure they have/had it but stil haven’t been tested.

In this fairy tail, and maybe that’s what it is, not 15-20% have had it but 40-50% have had it. In that case the death rate is as low as we hoped and we are closer to herd immunity.

We need testing - lots of it.
    Nice CNN talking point. There are 330M people in the country, it's NEVER going to happen. Even Bill Gates, Mr. Panic, says it's impossible. We are not set up as a country for that, the US is too big and disperse, and probably 150M will refuse to ever get tested anyway. I am not sure what planet people are living on anymore. Yeah, let's test everyone right away. LOL. If the country was serious about planning for a pandemic it would have been done like 25 years ago. Nobody gives a shit. A couple hundred thousand will die, virus will wane and people will get on with their lives next year. But please stop it with the "we need to test more". It's like telling a 400 LB guy to stop eating cheeseburgers, it's not going to happen.
    Nice msnbc talking point. Trump said we would be doing 5 million tests a day very soon. Don't let the msm or Bill "I will take over the world with vaccines" convince you otherwise.

Load Metric
    Ever since a medical doctor friend of mine some years ago explained to me why Americans with their marketing-hype-driven obsession with nutritional supplements tend to have the most expensive piss in the world by far, I stopped becoming a regular vitamin pill/supplement consumer.

But now with the risk of getting seriously waylaid by the dreaded corona-plague, I decided today to take the plunge back into most likely wasting some hard-earned cash on such things when I spied for the umpteenth time in the impulse-buy section of a national chain truck stop store the following massively overpriced product.

Name:  70F55C8D-346F-4AD2-9279-2F03FD7F593C.jpeg
Views: 434
Size:  161.7 KB
    Name:  8121669E-4DCD-404D-802B-B34656C93A5B.jpeg
Views: 426
Size:  110.2 KB

Bottoms up!

Name:  49966361-EFA9-49B6-9102-E14DA17EBBC3.jpeg
Views: 452
Size:  101.5 KB

P.S. It tastes pretty nasty. So, I definitely won’t be tempted to take more than one dose per day.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

Nice CNN talking point. There are 330M people in the country, it's NEVER going to happen. Even Bill Gates, Mr. Panic, says it's impossible. We are not set up as a country for that, the US is too big and disperse, and probably 150M will refuse to ever get tested anyway. I am not sure what planet people are living on anymore. Yeah, let's test everyone right away. LOL. If the country was serious about planning for a pandemic it would have been done like 25 years ago. Nobody gives a shit. A couple hundred thousand will die, virus will wane and people will get on with their lives next year. But please stop it with the "we need to test more". It's like telling a 400 LB guy to stop eating cheeseburgers, it's not going to happen.
    Nice msnbc talking point. Trump said we would be doing 5 million tests a day very soon. Don't let the msm or Bill "I will take over the world with vaccines" convince you otherwise.
    If Trump said that than he is full of shit too. Half the country will refuse a test, that is the way it is. Plus we have no capacity to do so on a consistent basis anyway so it is a moot point. The virus is here, probably has been since November, and it's going to run it's course until there is a vaccine. By the time there is a vaccine, it will likely have dissipated or mutated anyway. You can already see by the costal beaches people are going to take their chances anyway, the thought that 330M people are going to social distance is positively laughable. I was at the grocery store today and people were armed with their makeshift masks talking to people they knew and assumed they were just fine. I saw one guy take his mask down to cough and put it right back on.

Load Metric

If Trump said that than he is full of shit too. Half the country will refuse a test, that is the way it is. Plus we have no capacity to do so on a consistent basis anyway so it is a moot point. The virus is here, probably has been since November, and it's going to run it's course until there is a vaccine. By the time there is a vaccine, it will likely have dissipated or mutated anyway. You can already see by the costal beaches people are going to take their chances anyway, the thought that 330M people are going to social distance is positively laughable. I was at the grocery store today and people were armed with their makeshift masks talking to people they knew and assumed they were just fine. I saw one guy take his mask down to cough and put it right back on.
    no offense, but you’re seeing this because you live in a low information and destitute part of the country.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: it's also because he's a faggot

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I am going to go through some simple stats that should highlight why the IFR of 0.2% (2X flu) argument just can't be possible. NYC has had over 20,000 "extra" deaths year over year over a typical year. Covid is going to be the reason for pretty much all of these extra deaths. Its population is 8 million. If the IFR was 0.2% then 10 million New Yorkers would need to be infected, well over the entire population.

We know from multiple antibody tests the infected rate popping up is in the 15-20% range.

An IFR of 1% (10x flu) gives us 2 million infected, which is 25% of the population, which is lines up much better than IFR's of 0.2-0.3%, which just doesn't work in NYC (or any other city in the world that has been heavily hit).

There may be some slight variation in strains, but it isn't that much. This thing is just real deadly and hasn't spread that much.
    I’d be legitimately interested in hearing about the antibody test samples. You quote 15-20% which Im sure is factually true as you have proved to be well into the details of things you post about. I’ve been reading stories like the pork plant in Missouri where a few people out of the ~1000 employees started to call out so they had everyone tested. 373 of the 1000 came back as positive. Most had no idea they had it and were completely asymptomatic. Asymptomatic people aren’t getting tested. I know 10 people in Massachusetts who are 80%+ sure they have/had it but stil haven’t been tested.

In this fairy tail, and maybe that’s what it is, not 15-20% have had it but 40-50% have had it. In that case the death rate is as low as we hoped and we are closer to herd immunity.

We need testing - lots of it.
    It would be a dream if that many had it already, but there is just no way imo. The five boroughs tested out at 19.9%. Bronx was the highest at 27.6% which makes sense considering they had the most cases of the boroughs. This was as of a few days ago. Antibody tests.

That’s the epicenter of this nightmare here. It was a fairly decent sample of 15000 tests through the five boroughs. Not conclusive, but better than a political poll with 400 respondents or something that falls within a fairly predictable MOE. I believe they said they have ordered 7 million tests

If NYC is testing at basically 20%, not even the state, but just the city, I just can’t imagine any scenario where it’s more than like 5-10% in a Missouri or Arizona or any state not on the east coast. I’d be curious to see like Washington State just to see if it’s some surprise from the lesser west coast strain, but even 10% in most places feels wildly optimistic if NYC is 20.

I would guess 1 out of 20 in the country has had this thing. I think that might be high. It would be wonderful if the whole country is 20%, but I can’t think how that is even possible given how much easier it is to spread in congested city that is only popping 20%.

It’s going to take like six waves of this thing to get to the 60-70% herd number they say is required given the RO of this virus.

This assumes the test isn’t garbage and missing half the people with antibodies. That would be the only way any of us outside NYC is more than 20% to already have had this.

Load Metric
    hey guys great news!

https://scitechdaily.com/coronavirus...tiplies-there/

"More extensive testing using not only nose and throat swabs, but also rectal swabs or stool samples may thus be needed."
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Another montage of our Narcissist-in-Chief in action during this pandemic crisis.

(Thanks, Obama.)

Obama White House Knew of Russian Election Hacking, but Delayed Telling
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/u...n-hacking.html

Comments

Dan Druff: NOW SHIT video
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post

XD
    Love the sign language interpreter LOL
    Name:  B3094E3E-75A8-4C68-B459-A1DD62987286.jpeg
Views: 451
Size:  105.9 KB

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    hey guys great news!

"More extensive testing using not only nose and throat swabs, but also rectal swabs or stool samples may thus be needed."
    The Chinese, for all their bullshit regarding numbers, were onto this way back. Their doctors wrote a lot of reports that have popped up over here as new information. We threw out pretty much everything out of China because they were so full of shit on numbers and missed a lot of good information from doctors.

Those with gastrointestinal involvement had longer duration of illness and worse outcomes also. I’m guessing not because of anything that occurs in GI tract, but that it must move into lungs via that route. From everything I’ve read stool samples are way better test than the nasal swab.

They also wrote about men’s cases being of longer duration because of more ACE-2 receptors in the male groin way back. I don’t know if it was being vague intentionally or if it was a translation error. I never saw anything referenced on that early finding until last week when I saw an article that said they found huge amounts of the virus in our testicles when they did a few autopsies.

I guess there are a ton of receptors there and it lingers. Something about immune system working slowly to eradicate the virus when it’s lying dormant there.

Men have worse outcomes, but their cases also last longer.

They’ve been trying to get to the bottom of it, and they aren’t sure why yet, but threw that as one of the possibilities.

Originally in China and Iran they assumed it was because of men smoking far more, but as it moved around the world, women are obese more frequently than men both internationally and in the US, and the smoking rates are similar in the US and many other western countries amongst the sexes, yet men keep dying at the same higher rate despite women being a little more frequently obese. Plus this thing literally attaches to fat cells and women have much higher body fat percentages even amongst two fit people, so they are trying to figure out why men continue to die more, and our balls are one suspect.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post

no offense, but you’re seeing this because you live in a low information and destitute part of the country.
    From what I've seen in NYC over the last week he's right about people just not doing it. A few weeks ago it was a ghost town. Nice weather + people sick of staying inside their tiny ass apartments for almost 2 months seems to be changing everyone's mentality. Over the weekend I saw MAGAtards walking around arm in arm to "practice their civil liberties" and hippies mask shaming parents for letting their kids ride scooters on the sidewalk without a mask. They're all out and about though, and so was I - my 5-10 minute daily walk for my sanity turned into a much longer walk. I even went into a bodega and bought some Jamaican pattys(!)

The "social distancing wont work because there are people not doing it" and "tracing is a waste of time because it's impossible to trace everyone" arguments are bull shit though. When the down side is cases/deaths growing exponentially, every little bit of effort put into stopping the spread theoretically stops a huge number of people from being infected and dying. Every time a single spread from one person to another is stopped there's a realistic chance that hundreds or thousands of infections are prevented.

Load Metric
    Three frontline health care workers have mysteriously fallen out of hospital windows in Russia over the past two weeks, heightening public attention to the working conditions for doctors and medical professionals amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Just a misunderstanding totally normal to have doctors falling out windows.

Could be a glimpse into the future of some US states that reopen too quickly.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Three frontline health care workers have mysteriously fallen out of hospital windows in Russia over the past two weeks, heightening public attention to the working conditions for doctors and medical professionals amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Just a misunderstanding totally normal to have doctors falling out windows.

Could be a glimpse into the future of some US states that reopen too quickly.

they all spoke poorly of the state agenda regarding covid19.

so by your theory, they would likely be falling out of the windows of states that refuse to open up early.

also i believe it was within a week of each other and there were quite a few before that.

https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...l=1#post897235
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    hey guys great news!

The Chinese, for all their bullshit regarding numbers, were onto this way back. Their doctors wrote a lot of reports that have popped up over here as new information. We threw out pretty much everything out of China because they were so full of shit on numbers and missed a lot of good information from doctors.

Those with gastrointestinal involvement had longer duration of illness and worse outcomes also. I’m guessing not because of anything that occurs in GI tract, but that it must move into lungs via that route. From everything I’ve read stool samples are way better test than the nasal swab.

They also wrote about men’s cases being of longer duration because of more ACE-2 receptors in the male groin way back. I don’t know if it was being vague intentionally or if it was a translation error. I never saw anything referenced on that early finding until last week when I saw an article that said they found huge amounts of the virus in our testicles when they did a few autopsies.

I guess there are a ton of receptors there and it lingers. Something about immune system working slowly to eradicate the virus when it’s lying dormant there.

Men have worse outcomes, but their cases also last longer.

They’ve been trying to get to the bottom of it, and they aren’t sure why yet, but threw that as one of the possibilities.

Originally in China and Iran they assumed it was because of men smoking far more, but as it moved around the world, women are obese more frequently than men both internationally and in the US, and the smoking rates are similar in the US and many other western countries amongst the sexes, yet men keep dying at the same higher rate despite women being a little more frequently obese. Plus this thing literally attaches to fat cells and women have much higher body fat percentages even amongst two fit people, so they are trying to figure out why men continue to die more, and our balls are one suspect.
    If the additional ACE-2 receptors really is a big factor, I was smart to continue quitting the Losartan.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post

From what I've seen in NYC over the last week he's right about people just not doing it. A few weeks ago it was a ghost town. Nice weather + people sick of staying inside their tiny ass apartments for almost 2 months seems to be changing everyone's mentality. Over the weekend I saw MAGAtards walking around arm in arm to "practice their civil liberties" and hippies mask shaming parents for letting their kids ride scooters on the sidewalk without a mask. They're all out and about though, and so was I - my 5-10 minute daily walk for my sanity turned into a much longer walk. I even went into a bodega and bought some Jamaican pattys(!)

The "social distancing wont work because there are people not doing it" and "tracing is a waste of time because it's impossible to trace everyone" arguments are bull shit though. When the down side is cases/deaths growing exponentially, every little bit of effort put into stopping the spread theoretically stops a huge number of people from being infected and dying. Every time a single spread from one person to another is stopped there's a realistic chance that hundreds or thousands of infections are prevented.
    You know that I'm the opposite of a MAGA "let's open everything because this isn't dangerous" guy.

However, contact tracing at this point IS a waste of time. If we really get the incidence of new cases down VERY low, then contact tracing could come into play again. We are nowhere near that point. Talking about contact tracing right now is idiocy. It is spreading around too much, even with the social distancing, and we have far too many new cases.

Attempting to solve this via contact tracing is like attempting to solve an ant problem in your house by killing individual ants with your fingers. Yeah, you can try to say "every little bit counts", but in reality it's useless.

The left has become obsessed with "testing and contact tracing" over the past few weeks because they are trying to find a smart-sounding alternative to the "we gotta open the economy now" rhetoric on the right. The left can't make a case to just keep everything closed indefinitely with no game-changer coming anytime soon, so now they're trying to claim that testing and contact tracing is the answer. It isn't. It's as absurd as the 74k total deaths figure being pushed earlier this week.

In general, the value of testing has been overrated from early on. Yes, testing is useful, and yes, we need it, but it won't solve very much once the disease takes hold in the population (which it already has, obviously). The treatment of someone with COVID-19-like symptoms is the same with or without a positive test, and there's not enough known about the antibody situation for that test to be incredibly useful right now. Even if the antibodies mean you can't get infected again, and if it's eventually a super accurate test, it still won't save lives. It will just allow those who already had it return to the population without concern.

The left really needs to lose the obsession with the contact tracing and testing, and the right needs to lose the belief that the virus not being as dangerous as reported.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    But yes, people are going to start pushing back on the shelter-in-place thing as this drags on longer, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

If it appeared we just had to tough this out until June 15 when a game-changer was expected, then people would continue cooperating. Here it just appears there's no real end and no logical time when reopening is expected to be deemed "safe", so a lot of people are rebelling.

Which is sort of understandable.

I disagree with a lot of the idiotic tactics from some morons on the right who are convinced the entire threat is a media-driven hoax, but the underlying message -- that we need to move to the next phase of dealing with this, now that we have hospital/ventilator capacity up -- and that continuing to have a shutdown with no real stated goal is absurd.

Comments

MumblesBadly: But do we have healthcare *worker* capacity if they continue working at crisis-level hours for months to come?

Load Metric

Question

But yes, people are going to start pushing back on the shelter-in-place thing as this drags on longer, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

If it appeared we just had to tough this out until June 15 when a game-changer was expected, then people would continue cooperating. Here it just appears there's no real end and no logical time when reopening is expected to be deemed "safe", so a lot of people are rebelling.

Which is sort of understandable.

I disagree with a lot of the idiotic tactics from some morons on the right who are convinced the entire threat is a media-driven hoax, but the underlying message -- that we need to move to the next phase of dealing with this, now that we have hospital/ventilator capacity up -- and that continuing to have a shutdown with no real stated goal is absurd.
    People are rebelling due to Fox News and your idiot tyrant.

Less Americans will/would die (Republicans) if these two entities were rooted in reality.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    You know that I'm the opposite of a MAGA "let's open everything because this isn't dangerous" guy.
    Yeah, I'll give you that. In most other ways you're very MAGA, especially when it comes to defending Trump and blaming democrats at all cost.

Attempting to solve this via contact tracing is like attempting to solve an ant problem in your house by killing individual ants with your fingers. Yeah, you can try to say "every little bit counts", but in reality it's useless.
    If the majority of the ants were separated, and you were planning on gradually letting them start to interact with each other, and your primary goal was to drop the infection rate from potentially 1.5-2 down to less than 1...

The left has become obsessed with "testing and contact tracing" over the past few weeks because they are trying to find a smart-sounding alternative to the "we gotta open the economy now" rhetoric on the right.
    The left isn't as confident as the right in just figuring out for themselves the best strategy to handle a global pandemic. They just blindly listen to what the most qualified experts in the world have to say on most things sciency.

ANTHONY FAUCI: If you start pulling back on mitigation, physical separations, there will be infections. The real proof of the pudding of the success of this reentry is how quickly and effectively you identify them, you get them out of circulation, you give them care where needed and you do contact tracing so that you don't have a beginning of a peak.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Explain how contact tracing is going to work, when people are allowed to go to "essential" places like the grocery store.

Look at our own COVID-19-infected member Drawingdead. I asked him where he's been in the past 7 days. He said the supermarket and the auto parts store.

Okay, what next? We're stuck. It would require an insane amount of resources (and perhaps be impossible) to track down everyone at these stores when he was there (including those who were there hours before him).

If there were almost no cases in the US, then yes, all resources could be focused upon guys like Drawingdead to find any possible carrier. In a country where the cases will not be that low any time soon (even with continued social distancing), it's impossible.

Contact tracing can only work if:

1) There is a complete lockdown where nobody goes out into public at all, so it's easy to trace down who they've been in contact with
    -or-
    2) There are very few overall cases, so massive resources can be dedicated to trace down possible contacts of the few cases -- almost the way you'd search for a patient zero

The left lives in some fantasy world right now where we can contact trace soon if we just continue hunkering down.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The problem is that the right has a reckless plan and the left has a stupid plan.

That's where we stand at the moment.

The right just wants to "open up" and let the chips fall where they may. Some on the right stupidly think that this wasn't much of a threat in the first place.

The left wants to continue leaving things closed, and ramp up testing and contact tracing, somehow believing we can contain this because South Korea supposedly did it at one point? Nobody can explain how this is supposed to practically work. Somehow with 24,000 new cases still rolling in per day, we're supposed to be able to contact trace ourselves out of this one. L O fucking L at that.

Thread Information