Page 292 of 946 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296302342392792 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 18916

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    also third world countries are lapping us on STEM courses so yeah they're more qualified.
    I haven't seen the stats as to whether or not they're really "lapping" us, but there's more interest in this field in third world countries because that's often the way out of the country.

Third world tech employees will often work cheaper (even the ones in the US -- the ones working from their home country will work dirt cheap), but frequently you get what you pay for.

i'm talking about the ones physically living in san jose and san francisco. they make tons of money and are largely indian or asian. they are also extremely overrepresented in the medical and science fields generally.

it's not just in california. any new construction neighborhood on the coasts is at least 50% born in india

Load Metric
    in before an expert opinion on this based on the computer programming job he had in 1987.

Comments

big dick: LOL
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    in before an expert opinion on this based on the computer programming job he had in 1987.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Name:  F59CAF58-DDB5-4A71-BA67-E73884956A93.jpeg
Views: 326
Size:  102.1 KB

Comments

Sloppy Joe:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Over 2700 deaths today. Bloodbath. Slight downturn in new cases. Mid-high 20s. Statistical noise on deaths. Slight downward trend on cases seem real. I am to the point I don’t much give a fuck.

Walked 4 miles this morning. Ran a few miles before that before back just wasn’t having it. Running is old news. Can’t take the impact. I’m ready for the wu tang. Lungs felt strong.

I don’t see how with over 20k cases a day we aren’t at 50k a day in six weeks. We went from basically dick to 30k daily in a few months. How fast to 50k with 20k cases roaming around? Still think this buries 150-200k this year even with respite in dead of summer. I noticed at stores the minute they started talking opening up 5/1, mask usage went from like 60% to 25% in days. We just aren’t mask culture. You start talking opening and people think it’s over.
    Yes, this is why I'm confused about the opening thing. It seems like some just want to throw the doors open and go back to normal (and not just the crazy types who are protesting), as if we did our time at home, and it's mostly better now. It's not.

The death rate has actually been around the same for most of April. Some days better, some days worse, and I believe they're now testing people for COVID-19 who die at home of unknown causes, whereas they weren't before. That might explain the fact that the death rate hasn't fallen despite the 5 weeks of social distancing. It also might be the case that people get to the death stage at various rates, and some of the people dying today may have gotten this in March.

I wasn't understanding the 60k deaths in the US claim semi-recently. At the time they said it, I noticed that I thought we would be at 50k deaths by April 30. We're going to blow way past 50k on April 30, it turns out. We're past 45k and it's only this middle of April 21. Looks more like 60k by April 30.

I don't care what anyone says. I'm going to go out and do my hikes on off-the-beaten-path trails, but that's it. Nothing else. Not until I either have the antibodies (and those tests are reliable) or an effective treatment is found. I'll do this shit for a year if I have to.

My concern is Benjamin going back to school in late August. How will August look? Will it be similar to today? If he returns to school, it's likely he catches it at some point, and then it would be almost impossible to avoid getting it myself. Guess I'll have to cross that bridge when we get there. Honestly if there's no treatment, I hope they just continue the distance learning, even though it's mostly ineffective.

Do you really think it’s ineffective? Are you and your girl involved? Clearly you’re not some dumbass.

. I think homeschooling is bad for socialization, but every time I watch a few minutes of the scripps spelling bee or look at academic awards, I can’t help but notice half are homeschooled by some religious people. If they succeed that well, I’d have to think you’d kill it. It’s not like it’s going to hurt bad socially given his age. He will have plenty of years. You’re fucked if you have mong parents.

Load Metric
    Over 2700 deaths today. Bloodbath. Slight downturn in new cases. Mid-high 20s. Statistical noise on deaths. Slight downward trend on cases seem real. I am to the point I don’t much give a fuck.

Walked 4 miles this morning. Ran a few miles before that before back just wasn’t having it. Running is old news. Can’t take the impact. I’m ready for the wu tang. Lungs felt strong.

I don’t see how with over 20k cases a day we aren’t at 50k a day in six weeks. We went from basically dick to 30k daily in a few months. How fast to 50k with 20k cases roaming around? Still think this buries 150-200k this year even with respite in dead of summer. I noticed at stores the minute they started talking opening up 5/1, mask usage went from like 60% to 25% in days. We just aren’t mask culture. You start talking opening and people think it’s over.
    Yes, this is why I'm confused about the opening thing. It seems like some just want to throw the doors open and go back to normal (and not just the crazy types who are protesting), as if we did our time at home, and it's mostly better now. It's not.

The death rate has actually been around the same for most of April. Some days better, some days worse, and I believe they're now testing people for COVID-19 who die at home of unknown causes, whereas they weren't before. That might explain the fact that the death rate hasn't fallen despite the 5 weeks of social distancing. It also might be the case that people get to the death stage at various rates, and some of the people dying today may have gotten this in March.

I wasn't understanding the 60k deaths in the US claim semi-recently. At the time they said it, I noticed that I thought we would be at 50k deaths by April 30. We're going to blow way past 50k on April 30, it turns out. We're past 45k and it's only this middle of April 21. Looks more like 60k by April 30.

I don't care what anyone says. I'm going to go out and do my hikes on off-the-beaten-path trails, but that's it. Nothing else. Not until I either have the antibodies (and those tests are reliable) or an effective treatment is found. I'll do this shit for a year if I have to.

My concern is Benjamin going back to school in late August. How will August look? Will it be similar to today? If he returns to school, it's likely he catches it at some point, and then it would be almost impossible to avoid getting it myself. Guess I'll have to cross that bridge when we get there. Honestly if there's no treatment, I hope they just continue the distance learning, even though it's mostly ineffective.

everything you're saying makes sense, but you're probably in a better situation than most people who can't just go a year without income. government assistance isn't providing enough, at least not yet. plus all of our 401k's have been gutted.

if we don't open things up soon, it will take years for there to be enough people with antibodies for there to be any real herd immunity. how long can this go?

Load Metric

I think only number to look at anymore is deaths per week.

Testing is ramping up so cases are going to go up.

My State today announced 500,000 tests per week, we only have 3.3 million people. This means they plan on testing everyone multiple times, and they are opening up giant testing centers (arenas).

I think when this is all said and done this thing will be half as deadly as the flu. LoL shutting down the economy for two months for half the death rate of the flu.

Comments

LegalizeMeth: yeah bro remember that crazy flu that caused 18 wheelers to park outside of hospitals to collect bodies? That was a fucked up flu man

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    She spent 9 days in a coma and relearned how to walk. What this Covid-19 survivor wants protesters to know

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/21/u...ers/index.html
    I feel bad for her. She ran really bad to get this so badly at 35 years old (though she looks really heavy, which seems she probably did have the "obesity" risk factor).

CNN hires some of the worst reporters and editors, though. Look at this mess of a paragraph:

Blomberg's nine days in a coma led to muscle atrophy -- the wasting or loss of muscle tissue.

"The recovery is probably the worst," she said. "Basically it's having to learn to walk again, because your muscles .... it's like you've never used them before."

What used to be a 15-minute shower "is now 45 minutes ... and that's trying to do everything as quickly as possible," she said.

Her physical anguish is now compounded by the financial pain of hospital bills. She's only received a portion of her medical bills, but owes $11,000 so far.

Blomberg laughed when she thought about how quickly her life has changed in the past few weeks.

"Not only do I not have a job, but now I don't have this money" for medical bills, she said.
    Did the reporter not ask her if she had insurance? Did the reporter bother to call the hospital and ask if they're going to try to collect medical bills from COVID-19 patients (the answer is very likely "no")? Or was this an intentional omission to make a point about the "need" for socialized care?

The muscle atrophy thing is real, but again that might be a function of weight. You can have muscle atrophy in the ICU starting after just 3 days, but usually you can recover fairly easily if the stay is only 9 days. However, those coming in already physically fit tend to do the best, and those coming in obese tend to do the worst.

Comments

splitthis: She fucking did this to herself

Load Metric

everything you're saying makes sense, but you're probably in a better situation than most people who can't just go a year without income. government assistance isn't providing enough, at least not yet. plus all of our 401k's have been gutted.

if we don't open things up soon, it will take years for there to be enough people with antibodies for there to be any real herd immunity. how long can this go?
    This is fine. They need to just quit with the we fixed anything angle and low projections. We are going full Darwin if we open it up and piling up bodies and living with that reality and everything up until was a waste of time barring some vaccine miracle in a few months. We will be having 5k deaths every day in two months if we open the doors.

Seeing someone drop dead on the street will be a regular thing.

Comments

splitthis: It’s called a war, people die

Load Metric
    herd immunity hahahahhaha hah ahahha

goddamned.

Comments

splitthis: Some cows live, some die
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Dipsy DeWine and cunt Acton have to change their daily briefing sites due to protestors, pretty soon they are gonna need armed guards, the native are restless as fuck and aren’t gonna take anymore.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    whose idea was it to allow women access to the internet?

Comments

splitthis: If I get ahold of you I will put you over my knee and spank your bare ass until it bleeds

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

I think when this is all said and done this thing will be half as deadly as the flu. LoL shutting down the economy for two months for half the death rate of the flu.
    You believe shelter in place should have yielded even greater saving of lives ? Seems pretty successful to me.

Load Metric
    or had we just continued business as usual with a little cough the economy woulda continued the meme stock bubble run?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    For those hoping for a miracle vaccine in 2020, don't.

Vaccines are different than treatments in that they are being injected into healthy people, thus the level of certainty that it does no harm is much much higher.

All medications are known to have side effects and risks. When you take meds for anything, you're aware that there is a chance that the medication itself might do some unintended harm to you, but you take that chance because you want to get better. This is even true for medications for mild, non-threatening maladies. However, a vaccine is different. You're giving this to people who AREN'T sick, and are promising it will keep a certain malady away from them. That's far different, and any side effect other than something very temporary is considered unacceptable.

Also, given that this is going to be injected into the whole world, if this were to have harmful side effects, it would be a disaster of epic proportions. If there's a bad medication, it affects an exponentially smaller percentage of the population than a bad vaccine.

So the vaccine needs to be close to perfect as far as side effects go, even one as important as this. This requires a lot of development and testing time.

We will absolutely not see a vaccine in 2020.

Book it.

Load Metric
    may as well just open up the economy starting with the red states i guess

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Dipsy DeWine and cunt Acton have to change their daily briefing sites due to protestors, pretty soon they are gonna need armed guards, the native are restless as fuck and aren’t gonna take anymore.
    They should be treated the same way black people acting the same way would be treated.

That'll learn 'em.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    may as well just open up the economy starting with the red states i guess
    Let the red states die off and civilized America will inherit everything.

Comments

Tellafriend: Log off for a while

dwai: were you always this big of a faggot or did trump drive you completely insane?

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Do you really think it’s ineffective? Are you and your girl involved? Clearly you’re not some dumbass.

. I think homeschooling is bad for socialization, but every time I watch a few minutes of the scripps spelling bee or look at academic awards, I can’t help but notice half are homeschooled by some religious people. If they succeed that well, I’d have to think you’d kill it. It’s not like it’s going to hurt bad socially given his age. He will have plenty of years. You’re fucked if you have mong parents.
    Homeschooling is bad for socialization, no question.

When it comes to learning, if the kids grow up homeschooled, then it's part of their routine and they come to accept it as part of their day. If the kid is in regular school and you abruptly change it to a "distance learning" thing, the kid doesn't take it seriously, and sees home time as leisure time. It's a constant battle. Every parent I've talked to has said the same thing. A kid isn't going to sit still for 6 hours of schooling every day at home, unless he's used to it. Too many distractions, and too much connection between home and "school's out".

The genius kids you see who are homeschooled are outliers. They are the best of the best homeschooled kids, and are ones who enjoy constantly learning. Some of them were also artificially pushed into it by their overbearing parents, and will at some point burn out and rebel against the whole thing. I've seen that, too.

Anyway, this "temporary homeschooling" sucks, and the kids aren't learning much. I'm of the opinion that if we have to keep it this way for an extra school year in order to avoid infecting the parents, though, we should do it. If there's never going to be a vaccine or effective treatment, we will then have to throw up our hands and just return to normal. However, it's imoortant to understand that once we let the kids all go back to school, we're pretty much throwing social distancing completely out the window, because kids are walking illness-spreading machines, and it appears a ton of them are asymptomatic with COVID-19.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I haven't seen the stats as to whether or not they're really "lapping" us, but there's more interest in this field in third world countries because that's often the way out of the country.

Third world tech employees will often work cheaper (even the ones in the US -- the ones working from their home country will work dirt cheap), but frequently you get what you pay for.

i'm talking about the ones physically living in san jose and san francisco. they make tons of money and are largely indian or asian. they are also extremely overrepresented in the medical and science fields generally.

it's not just in california. any new construction neighborhood on the coasts is at least 50% born in india
    Many of them are born in India/Asia but attend college (and often primary/secondary school) in the US.

The FOBs who come here after being educated in their respective countries (and, in the case with Asia, don't speak good English) are not as desired.

There's always been a yo-yo situation with tech job availability in the US. Prior to 1983, they weren't that plentiful. Then starting in the mid-80s, there was a tech boom (the home computer revolution), and suddenly there were a ton of tech jobs available, without enough people to fill them. Then there was a huge crash in the tech market in the early 90s, between a major decrease in hiring in the defense industry and a huge glut of people who went into the tech field from 1984-1992, including lots of young people who believed that was the future. When I was looking for programming jobs circa 1995, the job market in that field was horrible, and the pay was shit for anyone young. Then came the dot-com boom of the late 90s, and again the jobs were super-plentiful and the number of available workers wasn't enough. Then came the dot-com bust of 2000 and 9/11, and suddenly every job posting online got 300 responses within a day. In recent years we were experiencing sort of a second boom, at least until this COVID mess.

Is that enough 1987 experience for you, sonatine?

Anyway, it's a case of "if you build it, they will come". Foreigners will flood the tech job market when it's hot (both physically in Silicon Valley and code monkeys working from abroad), but this will recede a lot when the job market retracts. It actually wouldn't be a good idea to have a huge number of Americans ready to work the peak tech job market, because we'd have tremendous unemployment in that field each time it recedes, which tends to go back-and-forth due to a variety of circumstances.

Thread Information