Page 282 of 791 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286292332382782 ... LastLast
Results 5,621 to 5,640 of 15819

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

  1. #5621
    So I have been reading some preprint articles about how the immune system works to respond to the virus and have come up with a rough theory of what is going on. Here is one of the articles.

    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....full.pdf+html

    Anyways, it appears that early in the disease it is the T cells and NK cells that are fighting the virus. Which makes sense, as these are the major players in cell mediated immunity, including against viruses. It appears that for the majority of people the T cells and NK cells do their job and the virus clears.

    For people that advance to serious disease though, their T cell count and NK cell counts plummet, especially the CD8 T cells that are responsible for killing virally infected cells. Looking at cellular markers such as PD-1, CCR7 and CD45 it appears what is going on is these cells are becoming exhausted and burned out, and the body is unable to replenish them. At the point the T cells start to burn out and T cells number start to drop: viremia, inflammation and antibodies all start to shoot up, and it is bad news. Additionally when T cells get highly differentiated and exhausted they start pumping out IFNy, which is an extremely potent inflammatory mediator, so exhausted T cells may actually be making the problem worse by contributing towards runaway inflammation and ultimately cytokine storm and sepsis.

    There are a couple takeaways from this. T cells produce memory immunity in a similar fashion to plasma B cells (the cells that produce antibody). The main reason we measure antibodies as far as immunity is because they are longer lived than T cells and much much much easier to measure, not because they are more important. It is very possible that persons with low antibody counts still have some level of built up memory immunity, through T cell immunity.

    Another interesting takeaway that supports the idea that T cells are very important in knocking out the virus early, is that T cells are made in the thymus. This is an organ behind the heart that is very big when you are a child but dies throughout your lifetime. So this could explain why this disease is handled so much better in children and gets worse and worse as you get older. Because they have much bigger, better thymus and can replenish T cells better.

     
    Comments
      
      sonatine: fucking solid post right here
      
      BCR: Good shit.
      
      splitthis: It is more complicated than that and you know it
      
      MumblesBadly: Sciencing rep
    Last edited by ErickAA; 04-18-2020 at 08:35 PM.

  2. #5622
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

    Unlikely anywhere in California. All the antibody tests that have shown this kind of coverage have come from areas that were hard hit by the virus. Areas where ~5% of the population was known COVID+, with a lot of mortality. There is no evidence that it stealthily hit anywhere hard without a lot of body bags being needed.
    I donít think you read that as he intended it. Or Iím wrong. I think he meant that when it hits an area that a third of the people can expect to have no symptoms and find out that they had it later. Not that it already has hit a California that hard.

    I think thatís a conservative estimate. I think maybe 50% may be asymptomatic given the median age of the US is 37. I think most of the under 25 crowd wonít feel it. Maybe 70% Iíd guess. I think maybe his numbers are correct for 35-60. Feels like 35%. I look at someone like the actor Idris Elba. He has asthma. Nearing 50. Both him and his wife felt nothing. Iíd guess 90% of over 60s have at least minor. I recall that early guy on cruise ship from Santa Clarita. Had a fever one day and nothing ever again. Was still testing positive 35 days later. His wife seemed only mild. So symptoms, but mild. Ton of variance from reading, but Iíd guess maybe up to half will never even know. Everyoneís guesses are simply guesses obviously. I sure wish there was a good antibody test that was easily obtainable.
    Ok. Fair enough. It still seems he is thinking/hoping it swept through the Los Angeles area and there is a lot of people walking around with immunity. I doubt it. I think Los Angeles just hasn't been hit that hard (yet).

  3. #5623
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  4. #5624
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    the republican protests popping up are game changers, one way or another.

    either there is no fallout from this in 2 weeks (the canary in the coal mine lives) and we can actually put this behind us... or the canary in the coal mine dies, and rural america's health care system collapses utterly under an influx of fatass honkys with high deductibles.
    Funny, most states have heavy restrictions but I don't see Trump tweeting "LIBERATE TEXAS!" or "LIBERATE FLORIDA!"

    I wonder why.

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  5. #5625
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    What I am trying to figure out is why most of the deaths are in states controlled by Democratic Governors.
    You're still trying to figure it out because you're an idiot.

    Those states have higher populations and densely populated cities.

    They also have more flow of people from all over the country and all over the world moving in and out and through them every day. Because they are the engines of the economy you claim to care so much about that you don't think any restrictions should be in place.

    What a fucking putz.

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  6. #5626
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

    because they have cities unlike flyover country?
    You mean like Indianapolis and Cleveland and Columbus? Why is Detroit so high as a border state with a Democratic Governor but the two guys below her are doing just fine. Why is Texas doing just fine but LA is not? You just got owned.
    Indiana and Ohio have Republican governors but they have defied Trump and have very strict restrictions. They specifically said they would not follow Trump and would listen to scientists and doctors instead.

    You just owned yourself, dipshit.

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  7. #5627
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...ction-program/

    This article is interesting as it shows that the PPP SBA benefits have gone disproportionately to red states and infers it may be for political reasons. I have a fair amount of insight as to how this program has rolled out and I honestly donít believe their is any political motivation to this and think itís just based on circumstances. Originally each participating bank got an allotment of dollars they could lend through the program. That got scrapped pretty quickly because Wells Fargo and I think B of A had such a large amount requested they eliminated that cap.

    But I think In red states you have more regional and community banks that have more personal small business banking relationships and thus they were able to cater to their clientele quicker and easier. The large banks just got so overwhelmed with requests.

    The crazy thing though is through this program the banks had absolute control and say over which customers they allocated their dollars. And obviously smart business dictates you look out for and prioritize your best clients. Who are also likely the ones who are the least in need of the free money. And it is free money so long as you meet the terms. The little guys who were most in need likely are getting screwed in this program. The 349B is already all allocated. I think Congress will ultimately raise the amount but time is money for these small businesses right now.

    If youíre a small business that doesnít have a lending relationship, I.e. deposit only you most likely totally got screwed. I know some banks initially looked at this as an opportunity to gather new business by taking on some new clients that fit that profile but this thing moved so fast there was virtually no way that had time to materialize.

    When you think about it is a socialist program benefiting capitalists.
    They have totally fucked over most small businesses. Not enough money and poor criteria for distributing it.

    Stock index component stocks are swimming in newly printed cash. And Trump and Kushner got another tax cut (special loopholes introduced for real estate developers).

    I guess the Senate Republicans and Trump who forced this so the bill could pass forgot about their "forgotten Americans" who elected them.

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  8. #5628
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

    do you have a theory or are you just being a plumber
    How many millionaire plumbers do you know? Not many I suspect. Did you get your government check yet?
    You're not a millionaire or anywhere close, so the answer is still zero.

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  9. #5629
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    its really possible that there is some sort of ozone layer -> UV exposure link here.


    i feel like the areas not drowning also have higher skin cancer? maybe?
    80% of the people dying are morbidly obese, 400 diabetic scores, terminally old, HIV etc.. the other 20% it's just bad luck like getting hit by a bus. Outside of NYC it's not a big deal. You want to find the outbreaks? Look for the state with high obese diabetic people. On average, it's not affecting people that are healthy, and BCR spare us the anecdotal example of some 40 year old that just completed an Iron Man competition that died. Maybe he had HIV you don't know.

    This started at 2M deaths and now down to ~ 50K deaths nationwide. The virus was here well before anyone knew it. It's already done it's damage, and it's probably done until the next wave. And yes, I am the smartest guy in the room, only because the bar has been set so low in this forum.
    You're not even the smartest guy in the toilets you unclog to earn your Red Lobster money.

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  10. #5630
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post



    obviously ive filled mine out because should any sickness befall me it cant possibly be covid-19.

    i trust all pfa patriots with strong, masculine immune systems and a turgid faith in the vision of our founding fathers will do the same.
    The people out there protesting should be dead last in line for medicine and ventilators.

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  11. #5631
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    The trend is going down in the US at a fast clip. This will be gone in a few weeks.

    I have not seen a leader in a crisis like this since Churchill.

    DJT <----------
    Would Churchill have said "I don't take responsbility at all?"

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  12. #5632
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    bill maher is god
    THIS

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  13. #5633
    100% Organic MumblesBadly's Avatar
    Reputation
    86
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the many threads of this forum
    Posts
    9,058
    From yesterday morning in Atlanta: Evidence that some truckers arenít getting the memo about social distancing:

    Name:  513D0266-775C-46BB-950F-E25E858AFA1E.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  95.3 KB
    _____________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

  14. #5634
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    From yesterday morning in Atlanta: Evidence that some truckers arenít getting the memo about social distancing:

    Name:  513D0266-775C-46BB-950F-E25E858AFA1E.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  95.3 KB
    That was really not funny.

  15. #5635
    Trump is still the prohibitive favorite on predicit.org

    Trump 51
    Biden 44

    hehehe

  16. #5636
    His posts are so useless, he isn't going to come back here in "a few weeks", and admit he got something wrong, AGAIN.

    Like if Obama had the most deaths, and the most cases, Fox "news"/tgull/salt&pepper would be over there singing his praise?
    Just asinine.

    And what a tough guy he is, "Mr. lets get back out there", when this thread is proof he has been holed up 24/7,


    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    The trend is going down in the US at a fast clip. This will be gone in a few weeks.

    I have not seen a leader in a crisis like this since Churchill.

    DJT <----------
    Would Churchill have said "I don't take responsbility at all?"
    San Francisco crowned the Ďworldís bestí city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

  17. #5637
    lol not sure what these guys are doing or expecting to happen? but they sure look happy that all the money they spent prepping for the apocalypse has finally paid off and reddy and will to shoot up some shit. MAGA.

    Name:  images-1.jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  14.3 KB
    all hail Hydra



    Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

  18. #5638

     
    Comments
      
      sah_24: Nice prediction ... classic PFA fail lol
      
      Kuntmissioner: Tard offset
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  19. #5639
    https://www.facebook.com/lyle.demoss...7699751012901/


    i wonder what political affiliation this brave and informed citizen subscribes to.

     
    Comments
      
      Onestep: medical oppression
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  20. #5640
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Trump is still the prohibitive favorite on predicit.org

    Trump 51
    Biden 44

    hehehe
    Mark Zuckerberg and Mark Cuban are both at 1 cent. Do you think there's a 1% chance one of them wins the election?

    The likely Libertarian nominee (Amash) is not listed at all. Who has a better chance, Amash, Zuckerberg or Cuban?

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 12 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Going to kill the next person...
    By SetofKs in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2018, 12:05 AM
  2. DID BOVADA JUST KILL ALL LHE ABOVE 3-6?
    By SetofKs in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-05-2018, 04:55 PM
  3. So if you were going to kill yourself...
    By BetCheckBet in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-05-2017, 11:28 PM
  4. Kill this whitey
    By Pooh in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 03:13 PM
  5. KILL WILL
    By Yebsite in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Tags for this Thread