Page 244 of 947 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247248254294344744 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,880 of 18937

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    Honestly curious but how do hospital visits work in USA if you don’t have insurance? How many hospitalizations right now are uninsured? What happens if they can’t pay off their 100k bill? Do they declare bankruptcy? Lose home? Or are they making special exceptions for covid 19?

Comments

MumblesBadly: Declare bankruptcy.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Honestly curious but how do hospital visits work in USA if you don’t have insurance? How many hospitalizations right now are uninsured? What happens if they can’t pay off their 100k bill? Do they declare bankruptcy? Lose home? Or are they making special exceptions for covid 19?

Christopher Waltz comes into your home dressed as a SS officer and shoots you in front of your family.

Load Metric
    Trump 'IGNORED' National Security Council's coronavirus warning and calls for social distancing in January, called health secretary Alex Azar 'alarmist' and 'WAS told about Navarro's memo'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...istancing.html

The National Security Council office responsible for tracking pandemics received intelligence reports in early January about coronavirus

The report predicted the devastation the virus would cause to the US once it hit

Within weeks of receiving the report, NSC officials raised options Trump that would prevent the spread of the virus, including shutting down cities

Donald Trump ignored the warnings, and instead waited until March to implement such measures, the report reveals

This comes as the death rate from coronavirus in the Untied States rises to 20,087 fatalities - overtaking Italy's death toll after 2,000 Americans died in one day
    Now that's what Trump calls Leadership.

Comments

MumblesBadly: “Deep state conspiracy!!!”

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sah_24 View Post
    Anyone dead yet ? Another classic PFA prediction ... lols
    Even by low estimates, we are only 1/3 (death count) through the first wave of a virus that is likely to become endemic. Still a long way to go.

Real talk, isn't your job somehow related to this sort of stuff? If so, what further insight can you offer as to what's likely to come?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post

Can't you isolate yourself more in the cab with minimal contact? Mini fridge? Bathroom issue is challenging. I know that you guys don't generally load or unload.

I’ve also fashioned a makeshift mask with a ladies hairband and coffee filters, but need to instead get some bandanas and hair ties to make to make better fitting and thicker ones.

Got to a Walmart today to get some bandanas. And the price for them is super reasonable. Only $1.97 each!

Spoke too soon...

Name:  F996162A-3FEC-491C-842E-5B48019BA833.jpeg
Views: 363
Size:  271.4 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    There isnt a blanket USA policy. State to state differences.

That's not just for health insurance, that's for everything, basically.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mumbles answered, "Declare bankruptcy", but he's wrong.

First off, with very few exceptions, there's no excuse to be uninsured in this country now. Everyone who is too poor to get it receives a subsidy, sometimes as high as 100%. Master Scalir, for example, has a $0 Obamacare plan. Those without insurance in the US in 2020 are either too lazy to go through the process to get it, budget their money poorly (that is, they make too much to get a subsidy but waste it on other things), or simply choose not to get it. The latter is actually most of the problem. It's hard for some young and middle-aged people to justify spending several hundred dollars per month per family member when "everyone is healthy" and "none of us are old". That's obviously stupid, but that's how it's happening now. The days of failing to qualify for insurance or being unable to afford it are basically over.

With that said, even if you're uninsured, there's a big myth that the hospital comes and takes your house in the event you have a $100k ER bill and you can't or won't pay.

Not true.

Hospitals are incredibly lax when it comes to bill collection. They'll make a few weak attempts to get the money and send some bills, but that's about it. They usually just eat it. This is why ER bills are so high -- you are paying for all the people who stiffed them!

This is also why hospitals are so willing to negotiate the bill with you. This is also why my early March ER visit saw a 20% discount on my $350 co-pay if I "pay now". They're thrilled when they get any definite money out of you.

Why are hospitals stiffed so often? Because the bills tend to be high, and many who visit realize that it would take an eternity to pay, so they just say fuck it. For example, if you're poor and get a $22,000 bill, there's no way you're breaking this into 220 $100 payments. You're just walking away.

There is a decent chance that, when this is all over, the government will cover a lot of these bills anyway, and tell them to forgive any patients who were treated for COVID-19 with unpaid bills.

Load Metric
    If you need emergent medical care in the US you cannot legally be denied due to the inability to pay.

Collection efforts vary.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    If you need emergent medical care in the US you cannot legally be denied due to the inability to pay.

Collection efforts vary.
    Correct, but it is very rare for hospitals to really go after people hard for unpaid bills, especially those who can't afford it.

It is highly unlikely (for several reasons) that they will aggressively collect against any COVID-19 patients.

Load Metric
    A little demonstration on how social distancing works.

(•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

First off, with very few exceptions, there's no excuse to be uninsured in this country now. Everyone who is too poor to get it receives a subsidy, sometimes as high as 100%. Master Scalir, for example, has a $0 Obamacare plan. Those without insurance in the US in 2020 are either too lazy to go through the process to get it, budget their money poorly (that is, they make too much to get a subsidy but waste it on other things), or simply choose not to get it. The latter is actually most of the problem. It's hard for some young and middle-aged people to justify spending several hundred dollars per month per family member when "everyone is healthy" and "none of us are old". That's obviously stupid, but that's how it's happening now. The days of failing to qualify for insurance or being unable to afford it are basically over.

With that said, even if you're uninsured, there's a big myth that the hospital comes and takes your house in the event you have a $100k ER bill and you can't or won't pay.

Not true.

Hospitals are incredibly lax when it comes to bill collection. They'll make a few weak attempts to get the money and send some bills, but that's about it. They usually just eat it. This is why ER bills are so high -- you are paying for all the people who stiffed them!

This is also why hospitals are so willing to negotiate the bill with you. This is also why my early March ER visit saw a 20% discount on my $350 co-pay if I "pay now". They're thrilled when they get any definite money out of you.

Why are hospitals stiffed so often? Because the bills tend to be high, and many who visit realize that it would take an eternity to pay, so they just say fuck it. For example, if you're poor and get a $22,000 bill, there's no way you're breaking this into 220 $100 payments. You're just walking away.

There is a decent chance that, when this is all over, the government will cover a lot of these bills anyway, and tell them to forgive any patients who were treated for COVID-19 with unpaid bills.

Medical Bankruptcy Is Killing The American Middle Class
    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/medi...ass-2019-02-14

The site wouldn’t allow cut-and-paste, so screen grabs it is, in a spoiler for those too lazy to go read the linked article.

Name:  8CEB5AC3-5101-40A8-A896-7092F8152FB5.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  203.6 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Not true.

Medical Bankruptcy Is Killing The American Middle Class
    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/medi...ass-2019-02-14

The site wouldn’t allow cut-and-paste, so screen grabs it is, in a spoiler for those too lazy to go read the linked article.

Name:  8CEB5AC3-5101-40A8-A896-7092F8152FB5.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  203.6 KB
    That's not about emergency hospital visits. That's about bills for medical tests and procedures (for example, cancer treatments).

This also occurs mostly to those who don't have insurance due to irresponsible choices or behaviors (since, again, subsidies are available to those who can't afford it.)

None of this applies to the guy who checks into the ER with covid19 and can't afford the bill.

Lots of other stuff I could say in response to that article but don't have time right now.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

Even by low estimates, we are only 1/3 (death count) through the first wave of a virus that is likely to become endemic. Still a long way to go.

Real talk, isn't your job somehow related to this sort of stuff? If so, what further insight can you offer as to what's likely to come?
    No. I have no professional insight into the virus. Mostly just a basic understanding of immunology and common sense.

But ~20,000 Americans have died so far (at least), and low end model estimates for this first wave are ~60,000, hence the "we are 1/3 the way there at most" observation.

Comments

Tellafriend:

Load Metric

wow wild take, i wonder what political affiliation this guy is.

Comments

Krypt: unreal

big dick: Ashamed to admit he has Irish blood in him. What a dumb shit

OSA: bro... look at Tom Hanks
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Yes, the coronavirus is a Chinese virus originating in Wuhan, China.

After this shit, they need to stop the Chinese from eating bats and other disgusting creatures.

Comments

OSA: i feel like bill is addressing sonatine right here

Load Metric
    california unemployment fund has 1 (one) month of liquidity left.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    i wouldnt worry about it tho because im sure trump has a solution.

ah...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    also, the small business loans that were supposed to be available, aren't.

"Owners were supposed to be able to get up to $2 million. Now they’re being told the cap is $15,000."

grants aren't going out either. each business was supposed to get a $10,000 grant, but they only have enough money for 1,000,000 businesses and 3,000,000 already applied.

the government is just botching this completely

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/b...ronavirus.html

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    also, the small business loans that were supposed to be available, aren't.

"Owners were supposed to be able to get up to $2 million. Now they’re being told the cap is $15,000."

grants aren't going out either. each business was supposed to get a $10,000 grant, but they only have enough money for 1,000,000 businesses and 3,000,000 already applied.

the government is just botching this completely

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/b...ronavirus.html

GOP senate went to the floor for 250B and Nancy said not to bother. Anything more is going to be a long brokered out horse trading exercise.

Load Metric

Thread Information