Page 228 of 946 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278328728 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 18903

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Sonatine,

I have a question for you. What is the end game for you for this?

For example, I am quarantining myself, and social distancing and wearing a mask and washing my hands and all that. Being a good citizen to flatten the curve.

But I still expect I will get the disease at some point. I don't plan on doing this indefinitely, and when the world opens and I venture forth into it I am sure the virus will still be around the population and eventually I will get it.

It seems you have an endgame of actually never getting the virus, and I was curious what it is? Stay indoors with strict quarantining and hygiene until a vaccine in 1-2 years?

I'll wait and see what options are on the table but my principle concern is not being in a position where I'm essentially competing with other infection cases for resources.

Plus the longer you push off infection, the better the science for treatment. Not to mention, the longer one bunkers down, the fewer people one has to worry about infecting.
    This is my approach, too.

For people our age, it's usually not a walk in the park to get this, even if you don't end up hospitalized. Better to wait as long as possible, and perhaps treatment will be better, or the whole thing will ramp down and not be as infectious, and the chance of getting it going forward will be less.

I have decided I am taking no risks with this (except where it's absolutely necessary) until there is a major positive development, or I get an antibody test and see I already had it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peop...2fdGt?ocid=sf2

surprisingly sound advice from someone infected.
    I saw some other video somewhere along similar lines of respiratory techniques that will mitigate the chance of developing pneumonia. I didn't even realize, but I guess there is a whole (legitimate) science of non pharmaceutical respiratory therapy. Probably not now, but under normal times patients in the hospital with pneumonia will actually have respiratory therapists walk them through it.
    Chris Cuomo claims that forcing himself to be active, even when exhausted and in pain, seems to combat the symptoms somewhat. He also isn't treating the fever and just dealing with it. It rose to 103 at one point, and he started seeing hallucinations of his dead father being in the room with him.

Load Metric
    Its an odds game.

If I had to leave the house right now, Id leave the house right now. Being inflexible on anything really is a poor disaster survival policy.

I can do simple, smart things to tip the balance in my favor, so I do them.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    The other thing to consider is that getting sick can result in perm injury. Lungs / heart get real fucked up off this shit. So yeah not getting sick is a real strong play here.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I'll wait and see what options are on the table but my principle concern is not being in a position where I'm essentially competing with other infection cases for resources.

Plus the longer you push off infection, the better the science for treatment. Not to mention, the longer one bunkers down, the fewer people one has to worry about infecting.
    This is my approach, too.

For people our age, it's usually not a walk in the park to get this, even if you don't end up hospitalized. Better to wait as long as possible, and perhaps treatment will be better, or the whole thing will ramp down and not be as infectious, and the chance of getting it going forward will be less.

I have decided I am taking no risks with this (except where it's absolutely necessary) until there is a major positive development, or I get an antibody test and see I already had it.
    If it is still around in September at some low level, say 100 cases/day in CA, would you have your son go to school.

I know for me my son is going back to school the first day it opens, pretty much no matter what, and we are just going to take our chances.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I saw some other video somewhere along similar lines of respiratory techniques that will mitigate the chance of developing pneumonia. I didn't even realize, but I guess there is a whole (legitimate) science of non pharmaceutical respiratory therapy. Probably not now, but under normal times patients in the hospital with pneumonia will actually have respiratory therapists walk them through it.
    Chris Cuomo claims that forcing himself to be active, even when exhausted and in pain, seems to combat the symptoms somewhat. He also isn't treating the fever and just dealing with it. It rose to 103 at one point, and he started seeing hallucinations of his dead father being in the room with him.
    I have always had the approach "let the fever run its course" because it is part of the immune response, and pretty much never take Tylenol. But I also have never had a fever above 101 in my adult life, so easy to say "let it ride" when your fever is only 100.

But it seems in this disease the immune response is a big part of the problem, so I would probably take Tylenol if I was 103-104, like most symptomatic people are.

Load Metric

I have always had the approach "let the fever run its course" because it is part of the immune response, and pretty much never take Tylenol. But I also have never had a fever above 101 in my adult life, so easy to say "let it ride" when your fever is only 100.

But it seems in this disease the immune response is a big part of the problem, so I would probably take Tylenol if I was 103-104, like most symptomatic people are.
    I thought that the people who have the highest morbidity tend to have weakened immune systems? If so, that would suggest that an insufficient immune response is a big part of the problem, which is opposite of what happened with younger adults who contracted Spanish flu back in the day.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16670768/n...was-so-deadly/
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    So, serious post.

I am organizing a food delivery to Brooklyn Methodist Hospital tomorrow morning. Bagels, butter, cream cheese etc will be delivered.

A friends sister will be there(she is a nurse) that will take the delivery.

Everyone donated(including myself, I know shocking) $20 bucks, and I'm only posting here cause I am short about $40-$60 bucks to make a decent sized order.

If anyone wants to donate PM me. I will have pictures of the food and the nurses/doctors that are enjoying it so you will see that it's not a scam and you can call the hospital yourself to confirm delivery.

Order will be placed tomorrow at 9 am. Thanks.

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL! Good try, you rascal!

big dick: fuck off

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    So, serious post.

I am organizing a food delivery to Brooklyn Methodist Hospital tomorrow morning. Bagels, butter, cream cheese etc will be delivered.

A friends sister will be there(she is a nurse) that will take the delivery.

Everyone donated(including myself, I know shocking) $20 bucks, and I'm only posting here cause I am short about $40-$60 bucks to make a decent sized order.

If anyone wants to donate PM me. I will have pictures of the food and the nurses/doctors that are enjoying it so you will see that it's not a scam and you can call the hospital yourself to confirm delivery.

Order will be placed tomorrow at 9 am. Thanks.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

I thought that the people who have the highest morbidity tend to have weakened immune systems? If so, that would suggest that an insufficient immune response is a big part of the problem, which is opposite of what happened with younger adults who contracted Spanish flu back in the day.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16670768/n...was-so-deadly/
    It isn't quite that simple. Inflammation is a necessary part of the immune response, and also involved in the vast majority of Covid related morbidities, including lung disease, heart disease, an sepsis/cytokine storm. Perhaps a better way to term it is what we refer to as a "poor immune system" is in fact a dysregulated immune response, where you still have A LOT of inflammation, but aren't able to clear the virus, or later pneumonia. My understanding is that a couple biomarkers associated with poor prognosis are very high neutrophil counts and IL-6 levels, both parts of a healthy inflammatory immune response.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Interesting details. Thx

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

It points to absolutely nothing at all, being the point.

Anecdotal evidence is currently all that your cult has but knowing two people who were independently sick of course is in no way indicative of a bigger thing.lnother tha you know two people who got sick, one who takes a medicine for lupus, etc.
    This is a forum to discuss things, is it not? This thread is also 227 pages long, with lots of speculation and guessing.

Of course the "two people" I talked about are anecdotal, but it's worth mentioning in the context of the "COVID has been here since December" theory, since it's something I personally observed. That's a lot more valid to me than reading thirdhand reports from strangers on Twitter.

There's so many unknowns here, and so much lying from China, that all reasonable possibilities need to be considered, even if only floated out as something to think about.

You have a reflexive angry reaction to anything you perceive to remind you of Republicans or Trump, especially related to this virus.

Even sonatine, who is about as opposite as right wing or Trump-supporting as you can get, has acknowledged that he also feels that COVID-19 being in the country in 2019 is a possibility.
    My voting record pre-2016 would surprise you. I hail from the great shitbag state of NC, and when I lived in Wyoming I found elements of their frontier version of 'live and let live' conservatism refreshing and necessary.

Having a child has even brought my position on abortion under fire recently.

But Trump, and the GOP's craven support of him, is indefensible; you know it and are too arrogant/dogmatic to concede that a huge portion of your identity (political beliefs) is responsible for turning America into the Florida of the world. In the current COVID situation, tens of thousands of Americans will needlessly die because of this cult worship.

Or, you actually believe the sentiments of your propagandist channels.

Either way, it deserves nothing but mockery and scorn.

Comments

sonatine: absolute tour de force

big dick: .

MumblesBadly: Nailed it!

Jayjami:
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Huge scandal!!!!!!!!!!!111111

Donald Trump Has Stake In Hydroxychloroquine Drugmaker

Explosive report by HuffPo: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...jWtdol-zdLFRHs

The financial news site MarketWatch and The Washington Post later estimated Trump’s stake to be worth between about $100 and $1,500.
    Did HuffPo turn into a parody site when I wasn't looking?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

This is a forum to discuss things, is it not? This thread is also 227 pages long, with lots of speculation and guessing.

Of course the "two people" I talked about are anecdotal, but it's worth mentioning in the context of the "COVID has been here since December" theory, since it's something I personally observed. That's a lot more valid to me than reading thirdhand reports from strangers on Twitter.

There's so many unknowns here, and so much lying from China, that all reasonable possibilities need to be considered, even if only floated out as something to think about.

You have a reflexive angry reaction to anything you perceive to remind you of Republicans or Trump, especially related to this virus.

Even sonatine, who is about as opposite as right wing or Trump-supporting as you can get, has acknowledged that he also feels that COVID-19 being in the country in 2019 is a possibility.
    My voting record pre-2016 would surprise you. I hail from the great shitbag state of NC, and when I lived in Wyoming I found elements of their frontier version of 'live and let live' conservatism refreshing and necessary.

But Trump, and the GOP's craven support of him, is indefensible; you know it and are too arrogant/dogmatic to concede that a huge portion of your identity (political beliefs) is responsible for turning America into the Florida of the world. In the current COVID situation, tens of thousands of Americans will needlessly die because of this cult worship.

Great TDS essay but...

1) I was never a denier of the COVID situation, and in fact publicly announced I was quitting Commerce in late January due to COVID fears. Not cult worship.

2) I have criticized many aspects of Trump's response and the government's response to this. Not cult worship.

3) The latest post you mocked had nothing to do with Trump or politics. Not cult worship.

You've also been stupidly red-repping some of my posts in a fashion which would even make 1marley1 ashamed.

It would be great if you could actually think before responding angrily to anything I write, and actually look at the content first.

Thanks.

Comments

OSA: Todd is god

Sloppy Joe: Indefensible

Load Metric

Great TDS essay but...

1) I was never a denier of the COVID situation, and in fact publicly announced I was quitting Commerce in late January due to COVID fears. Not cult worship.

2) I have criticized many aspects of Trump's response and the government's response to this. Not cult worship.

3) The latest post you mocked had nothing to do with Trump or politics. Not cult worship.

You've also been stupidly red-repping some of my posts in a fashion which would even make 1marley1 ashamed.

It would be great if you could actually think before responding angrily to anything I write, and actually look at the content first.

Thanks.
    You also said it wasn't racist for him to refuse to rent apartments to blacks. Trump was just being a good business man.

You also defended Trump not taking the virus seriously because "most of the country was treating the coronavirus this way at the time" "Were you socially isolating then? "

Load Metric

Being very familiar with Mammoth, I know of a "back way" into the place which doesn't have such a checkpoint, but the typical tourist would have no clue about this. Not that I have any plans to go.

I’m genuinely curious about this claim. I’m admittedly not familiar at all with the area. But what I did do is a quick satellite image search of the area. There appears to be no paved road other than 203 in or out. Short of flying in on a helicopter or glider from a nearby mountain, I don’t see another way. Care to expound?

Yes, I’m that bored btw
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    I knew this dude growing up. Played sports against him. We weren’t friends, but would run into him and say hello. Pleasant guy.

This thing is weird. Don’t know his medical history, but none of these people I see dying around me are like disabled people or some chronically ill guys. They’re pretty healthy normal guys. Maybe they have some borderline blood pressure issue like Druff, but they are healthy strapping guys who have jobs and were active a week before things went south.

I posted about the 51 year old guy last week. This guy 50. Saw another locally who was 48. For something that is supposed to be like anywhere from .04-.1% given that age spread, I’m uncomfortable. I assumed the people in that age range it hit probably skewed addicts or chronically ill also. There’s a lot of unhealthy 40-early 50s guys. So far that’s not what I’m seeing.i thought this thing was going to shake out the weakest of hands. People on disability and overweight diabetics on dialysis. Not so far locally. It will be a dude who seemed fine two weeks ago. Disturbing. Makes me sad and nervous.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/coronaviru...rk-kind-heart/

Comments

Dan Druff: exactly how i feel when i read about normal 50-year-olds dying

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I knew this dude growing up. Played sports against him. We weren’t friends, but would run into him and say hello. Pleasant guy.

This thing is weird. Don’t know his medical history, but none of these people I see dying around me are like disabled people or some chronically ill guys. They’re pretty healthy normal guys. Maybe they have some borderline blood pressure issue like Druff, but they are healthy strapping guys who have jobs and were active a week before things went south.

I posted about the 51 year old guy last week. This guy 50. Saw another locally who was 48. For something that is supposed to be like anywhere from .04-.1% given that age spread, I’m uncomfortable. I assumed the people in that age range it hit probably skewed addicts or chronically ill also. There’s a lot of unhealthy 40-early 50s guys. So far that’s not what I’m seeing.i thought this thing was going to shake out the weakest of hands. People on disability and overweight diabetics on dialysis. Not so far locally. It will be a dude who seemed fine two weeks ago. Disturbing. Makes me sad and nervous.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/coronaviru...rk-kind-heart/

its kinda bonkers like, pretty much everything weve been told thats been comforting or reassuring has not only been proven false, but in retrospect was also likely proven false in the first days of the outbreak.

Comments

BCR: I mean, killing 1% would suggest it takes out someone really feeble. Not so much.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Being very familiar with Mammoth, I know of a "back way" into the place which doesn't have such a checkpoint, but the typical tourist would have no clue about this. Not that I have any plans to go.

I’m genuinely curious about this claim. I’m admittedly not familiar at all with the area. But what I did do is a quick satellite image search of the area. There appears to be no paved road other than 203 in or out. Short of flying in on a helicopter or glider from a nearby mountain, I don’t see another way. Care to expound?

Yes, I’m that bored btw
    You go further north, get off on the "Mammoth Scenic Loop", and go south. You pop out in the Mammoth Village.

While this looks obvious on a map, it isn't obvious to most tourists because:

1) It's further north, and you have to go back south, so tourists usually never reach it if they stop at Mammoth (or don't notice it if they're driving past Mammoth)

2) The "Scenic Loop" thing is a misnomer. It's just forest, and many other parts of Mammoth are more scenic. Therefore, this isn't a popular route, even in the summer. It has zero word of mouth.

3) Most people would assume it's not plowed in the winter. It is.

It is unlikely the police would post anyone where it intersects 203, because there would be barely any cars coming that way, and especially not tourists.

Load Metric
    awww tine is old and scared in his house

Load Metric
    also lol at todge evangelizing for mammoth its ok todge but you remember it from ur your youth

Thread Information