Page 173 of 946 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223273673 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 18919

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

As a supposed healthcare professional she should be giving proper info to make it safer for you so you can make an informed decision if you decide to do this selfless act rather than actively discouraging people from doing it.
    You are full retard today.
    I'm beginning to think you're not a healthcare professional at all & never were.

Comments

SPIT this: you don't say
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    also any blood donation center is going to be an absolute star spangled petri dish.
    why say shit like this? I've been to 4 different RC Blood centers in my state in the last decade, and not a single one fits that description. In fact, they are totally the opposite.

any environment with a high turnover of humans through the door should be avoided, this seems like common sense.

what about my description doesnt jibe with the center you went to?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Demonstrably not true, as we cannot have covid-19 antibodies for them to take unless we were already sick and recovered.
    I don’t know how to make this any more simple. Your levels of antibodies that help fight all types of infections are lowered after you donate blood. Unfortunately at this time, there is a bug out there that can kill you and you need all your body has to fight it.
    When I donate, I give well under 10% of my blood and all the things in it, and the body immediately starts making more as soon as it is taken. I could have double the amount of blood and antibodies in me, and it would do literally no good against covid-19, and there's no evidence that healthy, non-oldAF ppl giving makes an immune system weaker at all unless I/they already have some sort of underlying problem. If you have good evidence to prove me wrong, I'm for sure open to it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly
    Trump is NOT a complex man. He's almost transparently simple
    I disagree.

People on the left like to simplify him because it's much easier to hate an evil movie-type villain than someone with a mixture of good and bad qualities.

Managing a crisis doesn't fall into Trump's set of strengths. He's definitely made mistakes. He wasn't honest at the beginning.

However, he's right that he stopped allowing Chinese nationals from coming into the US relatively early in the whole mess, when many on the left were decrying it as '"racist", "xenophonic", or "hysteria". That's the type of thing Trump is good at -- doing what he feels is right, without worrying about political correctness or objections from other countries.

Presently, I feel Trump has a good handle on the true danger we are facing from this virus, while at the same time having an eye toward the long term future of the country if we leave it shut down too long. He still says stupid things at times, and he still focuses upon pettiness on Twitter, but he's not trying to put the country in danger for the sake of his own reelection.

There is a failure at the moment regarding the lack of availability of tests. There's also a failure regarding the lack of a medium-term plan. Right now, we should have answers to, "What if this isn't any better in a month? What about 2 months? What about 4 months? What about 6 months?" We don't have those answers, and we should. At the moment, we are flying by the seats of our pants, and that's not good.

Trump's statement that he would like to see the country's shutdown end by Easter is actually refreshing. It shows that he's starting to think about not just what's right in front of us, but what we will be doing down the road.

The short-term solution might lie in the antibody tests. If enough get produced, those could be used to slowly identify who is and isn't already past the virus, and then allow those people to go back to work and interact outside. Of course, there's the issue of people potentially being dishonest about it. It would be great if these tests could be authenticated in some way, but I don't see that as being possible. But those tests really are key, especially if there are as many asymptomatic people as suspected.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

any environment with a high turnover of humans through the door should be avoided, this seems like common sense.

what about my description doesnt jibe with the center you went to?
    All of it. There is no high turnover through the door on the best of days, and less so now, unless like 3-5 people in an hour is somehow high turnover. Everything that can be single use is, everything else is sterilized between every donor, anything that even looks weird gets trashed immediately, ... The Dedham bank I go to started wearing n95 masks at least 2 weeks ago, they have always been constantly disinfecting and sterilizing everything all during the day, beds have always been ~8-10 feet apart from each other for the last 20 years I've been going and they go every other bed in regular times anyway. The room is massive so the only people you ever come close to are the person who does the pre-donation testing, which is the questionnaire, taking the pulse, taking your temp, etc, and the one who sticks you. This isn't a high school auditorium blood drive, its a medical facility that does nothing but handle blood. To call it a petri dish-type environment is ridiculous to me.

Do you give blood? Is your experience different? If so, you are going to the wrong place.

Load Metric
    We have a plasma donation place here. Biotest. It’s in a nice area in a plaza, but it’s almost entirely addicts or young people using it to supplement income. I wouldn’t sit in that room right now for 15 minutes for $1000, and I’m moving around pretty freely for a lockdown state. I hate cooking so I’m getting takeout from local places daily so they don’t go under. I’m not paranoid, or overly fearful of interaction, but that place, no fucking way.

That’s not making a comment on blood donation or the Red Cross and decreased immunity or any of that. I’m not qualified to have an opinion on that. I give blood fairly regularly to keep my rbc lowered as mine is higher normal range, but that’s out of self-interest as much as goodwill. I donate it. I donated during times when they’ve needed it, but this situation is unique. I’d have to read on it. I’m not 30.

I’ll probably have to risk/reward that decision in a month when I’m due to donate again and read up on who is right in this argument.

. I am qualified to spot a bunch of junkies though and I wouldn’t even see Ken in person if he’s going to that type of plasma joint. I’d simply tell him see you in august. I’d send him cash in the mail if he needed a loan as I assume he may not even have a bank account.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

You are full retard today.
    I'm beginning to think you're not a healthcare professional at all & never were.
    Doesn’t matter what you think. You couldn’t be any more naive. Everything you do at this point will affect or not affect you. It is not a matter of being generous or good or any other bs. This shit can kill you. You need your full immunity at this point in time. They need to tighten up on restrictions for blood transfusions. I cannot tell you how many 100 plus year olds that had 8-10 units pumped into them while they were in full gi bleed that they could never recover from, yet they got them because family wanted it.

We are in a different world until this shit blows over and thinking has to be logical to survive it. It is not logical to give you antibodies to anyone right now unless you have already proven recovered from covid.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    is there a reliable site where I can purchase 3m N95 masks?

Load Metric
    FREE TYDE

Load Metric
    honestly you should qualify for government assistance like you should be forced to cover ur face 95 percent of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly
    Trump is NOT a complex man. He's almost transparently simple
    I disagree.

People on the left like to simplify him because it's much easier to hate an evil movie-type villain than someone with a mixture of good and bad qualities.

Managing a crisis doesn't fall into Trump's set of strengths. He's definitely made mistakes. He wasn't honest at the beginning.

However, he's right that he stopped allowing Chinese nationals from coming into the US relatively early in the whole mess, when many on the left were decrying it as '"racist", "xenophonic", or "hysteria". That's the type of thing Trump is good at -- doing what he feels is right, without worrying about political correctness or objections from other countries.

Presently, I feel Trump has a good handle on the true danger we are facing from this virus, while at the same time having an eye toward the long term future of the country if we leave it shut down too long. He still says stupid things at times, and he still focuses upon pettiness on Twitter, but he's not trying to put the country in danger for the sake of his own reelection.

There is a failure at the moment regarding the lack of availability of tests. There's also a failure regarding the lack of a medium-term plan. Right now, we should have answers to, "What if this isn't any better in a month? What about 2 months? What about 4 months? What about 6 months?" We don't have those answers, and we should. At the moment, we are flying by the seats of our pants, and that's not good.

Trump's statement that he would like to see the country's shutdown end by Easter is actually refreshing. It shows that he's starting to think about not just what's right in front of us, but what we will be doing down the road.

The short-term solution might lie in the antibody tests. If enough get produced, those could be used to slowly identify who is and isn't already past the virus, and then allow those people to go back to work and interact outside. Of course, there's the issue of people potentially being dishonest about it. It would be great if these tests could be authenticated in some way, but I don't see that as being possible. But those tests really are key, especially if there are as many asymptomatic people as suspected.
    Its crazy that people are this naive. Poor Toddle.

Comments

Sanlmar: These people still exist.

Shizzmoney: naive rep

Salty_Aus: Refreshing

Load Metric

I don’t know how to make this any more simple. Your levels of antibodies that help fight all types of infections are lowered after you donate blood. Unfortunately at this time, there is a bug out there that can kill you and you need all your body has to fight it.
    When I donate, I give well under 10% of my blood and all the things in it, and the body immediately starts making more as soon as it is taken. I could have double the amount of blood and antibodies in me, and it would do literally no good against covid-19, and there's no evidence that healthy, non-oldAF ppl giving makes an immune system weaker at all unless I/they already have some sort of underlying problem. If you have good evidence to prove me wrong, I'm for sure open to it.
    Plasma takes 24-48 hrs to replenish, red blood cells 4 to 6 weeks. You are weakened during this time. Unless you are bubble boy truly not worth the risk AT THIS TIME.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: shouldn't someone in the healthcare industry know that its WHITE BLOOD CELLS that fight viruses, infection etc?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I may limitles 2nite

Diamond
    Load Metric
    lol @ the "CARES" act btw, these scam acronyms remind of the mr. show sketch about the "last American indian" amirite, limitless??

40 seconds - 1 minute here

Comments

sonatine: i keep on thinking of this fucking sketch, the fbi agents craning their necks

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    We have a plasma donation place here. Biotest. It’s in a nice area in a plaza, but it’s almost entirely addicts or young people using it to supplement income. I wouldn’t sit in that room right now for 15 minutes for $1000, and I’m moving around pretty freely for a lockdown state. I hate cooking so I’m getting takeout from local places daily so they don’t go under. I’m not paranoid, or overly fearful of interaction, but that place, no fucking way.
    No matter what the place is called, if they are paying for blood or blood products, it is not a "donation" center. The people you find in these places are college students, homeless people, crackheads, and Scalirs. A real blood donation center, one that does not pay, has no crackheads, junkies, or Kens. The types of people who go there are not nearly the same. If you go to a legit blood bank that only does donations, not a place of commerce where you sell your internal juices, you find people who give blood for all manner of reasons, of which money is not one of them.

Who do I come across at my blood bank? People who have relatives with cancer, friends of people who were burn victims, people who like to help others that they will never know about, in general, you get people who know the value of blood to those who need it. Hell, druff called me selfless for giving blood, but I don;t see it that way, like, at all. In 95, I was in a car accident that I had no business surviving, but a little bit of luck, a medflight helicopter from Norwood to Mass General, and a bunch of days in the ICU kept me alive. I also got a few pints of blood, without which the rest of the deal wouldn't have mattered one bit. I'm not selfless, I'm thankful and indebted, I couldn't possibly give enough blood to make up the debt I have to whoever gave theirs to me. I also happen to have A-, which makes it feel more important for me to give, since there's not a lot of that type out there.

As for the splitthis and immunity deal, if I give up ~8% of all my blood and antibodies, I will be no better or worse able to fight covid-19, since I cannot possibly have antibodies for that. What about other shit? Well, if I come into contact with something that I DO have antibodies for, I still have 92% of what I had before, and the body immediately begins making a lot more of them, so that soon enough, I will have a lot more of them than I did before I gave blood, because that's how the immune system works. Sure, it will take a few weeks to have all the ones I had before at all levels, but in no way am I compromised. Again, find me any research that contradicts this, and I might reconsider. The fact is, a few nights of bad sleep will harm my immune system many times more than a blood donation ever could.

As for the RBC count, if I'm in the middle range of a healthy adult male and I lose 8% of them all, guess what: I'm very much still in the normal range for healthy men my age. Hardly a bubble-buy, split. You could take my count after a donation and you still wouldn;t know if I gave blood, because I wouldn;t be anywhere near what any sane person would consider a low RBC count. Again, if you got research that shows me wrong, please provide. You certainly haven't given any yet, you are just scaring people away from a very important service, and that's pretty shitty, esp in this circumstance.

Lastly, its the white blood cells that attack infections, viruses, and the like, not the red ones. WBCs get replenished within a day or 2. because the cells only live for ~2 days anyway.

Comments

SPIT this: voice of reason
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 03-27-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Load Metric
    The curve is already starting to flatten and those scare propaganda charts showing infected and deaths rising over the weeks are for morons. Obviously the more testing you do the more you find and people die. Youre part of the propaganda problem, youre too ignorant to understand how things play out so you run to tell everyone the end is near!

Then there is Cuomo who lies steady, over dramatic, has mask stock piled but tells the world they don't have any, assumes all infected will die... complete virtue signalling propaganda snowflake Trump hater. Should resign.

Common sense, not at PFA.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post

I will defer to your proximity to the epicenter as compared to mine, but these provincial governments are part of the layered structure of government that generally allows the Chinese Communist Party to control just about everything. That the provincial government attempted to hide the virus outbreak is logical behavior since they rightly expected to be scapegoated by the national government and the CCP for the outbreak. The national government and the CCP does not get to skate because they set up a system that results in this kind of desperate behavior by the provincials anxious to save their positions and avoid possible incarceration and even execution.
    100% correct

This reminds me of how Wells Fargo top executives claimed that it wasn't their fault that fraudulent accounts were set up in order to meet quotas, because their underlings were lying to them about it. It was all the fault of branch managers and low-level employees, you see.

But of course, it wasn't.

Wells Fargo intentionally set up unrealistic "new account" goals for branches, with threats of dire employment consequences if these branches failed. So branch managers, fearing their jobs, instructed underlings to commit this fraud, sometimes in coded language to give plausible deniability. And the underlings, fearing their jobs, committed the fraud, so they'd meet their quotas. These results were inevitable. Additionally, anyone who tried to complain was quickly silenced.

Same thing goes here with China. The provincial and local officials fear dire consequences if they don't "get it under control", so they do what they need to do in order to report what the national government wants to hear. Those who try to report otherwise are quickly "dealt with".

This is why it's not even close to fair to compare the Chinese government to the US government, even with the qualifier of, "Well, of course China is worse."

It's not even close. If the level of US wrongdoing is 10, the level of China wrongdoing is 1000. At least.

The fact that an authoritarian, secretive, notoriously selfish government is at the epicenter of this is the reason why this got so bad.
    You raise fair points.

There is a big difference between what's being reported and what really happened.

I guess it's easier to report Beijing put the doctors who tried to tell the truth in prison, and it was the central government who were destroying test results and actively trying to hide this... none of which happened.

I'm not giving the central government a pass, and certainly not the local authorities.
    It is annoying though when half truths are twisted to suit other agendas.

Load Metric

Plasma takes 24-48 hrs to replenish, red blood cells 4 to 6 weeks. You are weakened during this time. Unless you are bubble boy truly not worth the risk AT THIS TIME.

BOOOOM SUCK IT CROW, WHAT

*WHAT*
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I think he actually got more praise than criticism for doing it from democrats. He's trying to make it seem like the criticism for all the other things he's done was actually for shutting down China travel - but it wasn't.

He's also making it seem like his decision was some huge thing that only he could've had the foresight would've do, but he made the call to stop people who had been to China from entering America after the major American airlines cancelled all service to and from China, WHO declared global health emergency, and more than a week after China put Hunan into full lock down.

The thing he's good at is tricking people into believing whatever thing he did was a much bigger deal than it was, and all the democrats worked together to try and stop him, but he overcame and now your life is so much better because of it!

Thread Information