Page 117 of 947 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167217617 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 18936

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

If my tenants in my house pay rent on time, I might not go this route.

Even if I just ask for no raise in rent for the next 3 years, is it that bad of an ask?
    You can always ask but being opportunistic for the sake of being opportunistic is weak. If you lost your job, became sick, etc it’s one thing, but this isn’t that.
    who tf made you the arbiter of moralism? you’re even slimier than step.

Comments

OSA: ty

Load Metric

You can always ask but being opportunistic for the sake of being opportunistic is weak. If you lost your job, became sick, etc it’s one thing, but this isn’t that.
    But I'm going to be losing money too. I count on my commission to pay for shit
    Landlord is in a mortgage too.

Load Metric
    At any given point we are less than three weeks away from returning to our animal roots.
    Sooner than that.

People may kill you for toilet paper.

Buy a gun before they run out.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    This type of thing definitely isn't in Trump's set of strengths. Trump is good at confronting adversity, standing up to hostile foreign leaders, and is business-friendly (which helped the economy big time for the past few years).

He's not very good at managing details when things are going wrong, and has zero ability to use subtlety. With him, everything is "terrific", "tremendous", "great", etc, which isn't exactly comforting to hear when scary things like this are occurring and you just want the facts -- even if those facts are unpleasant to hear.

With that said, this is a very difficult situation to manage, especially in the US where people have a very hard time self-isolating and staying home. The testing will let us better know the true numbers, but it won't solve this, especially if many people are asymptomatic. In a perfect word, we would have 330 million tests and every American could test themselves and know whether to isolate. But we don't have that, nor is it realistic to have anywhere near that number of tests at this point. Short of that, we will have asymptomatic people walking around spreading it.

The best things you can do for yourself now:

1) Limit the amount you're out

2) When you're out, stay 6 feet away from others as much as possible

3) Stay away from people over 65. You might end up killing them if you're infected and asymptomatic.

4) Know the symptoms of coronavrirus (fever, dry cough, shortness of breath), and stay away from everyone if you experience these.

Also if you're under 35, there's almost zero point zero chance you're dying from this. If you're 35-59, you're probably not dying, but there's a small chance. If you're 60+, be very careful.
    Be honest. Would you rather Obama was in office right now at this exact moment?
    You should ask the families of the people that died of H1N1 while he was president. He pretty much sucked just as much as Trump, just sounded smarter.

Load Metric
    "I take no responsibility for this."

-Donald J. Trump

hands down, the worst president of all time

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

-Donald J. Trump

Worse than Buchanan, come on man.

Load Metric
    give us your rankings texter

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    At any given point we are less than three weeks away from returning to our animal roots.
    Sooner than that.

I had arguments on Twitter yesterday where some insisted that there isn't a higher demand for guns right now, and that people's fear of escalating violence is just my imagination.

Load Metric
    1. Barack Obama
    2. Abraham Lincoln
    3. Bill Clinton
    4. George Washington
    43. William Taft
    44. Donald Trump
    45. James Buchanan

Platinum
    Load Metric

-Donald J. Trump

Could have been earlier on the testing for sure but I have to admit I was still skeptical in January (when I most likely had it btw). Hard to say how this would have been handled if there was a different president. He also closed down travel from China fairly quickly and was mocked and called a racist for it. Pretty sure Biden even criticized him for it at the time. If he hadn’t done that we would probably be closer to Italy’s position now.

As far as never admitting fault for anything, that’s one of the worst possible traits a leader can have. It’s been pure hell anytime I’ve worked under someone that never can admit they’re wrong and takes credit for the work of others. I can’t imagine working for him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

Sooner than that.

I had arguments on Twitter yesterday where some insisted that there isn't a higher demand for guns right now, and that people's fear of escalating violence is just my imagination.
    i don't really get the fears about violence. before it gets to that, the government would just print as much money as it needed to

Load Metric
    argentina.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Obama would be better at handling this than Trump, but not by the margin you might think.

this is totally correct. obama, a functional adult, would have not have listened to rush limbaugh instead of doctors and, by extension, would not have swept this under the rug for weeks because hes terrified of losing an election.

but yeah man who would have thought letting evangelicals and sundowning autists run the GOP would have these sorts of consequences.
    Obama appointed a political operative to handle the swine flu outbreak. He also appointed the incompetent Kathleen Sebelius in charge of Health and Human Services, and when she badly botched the Obamacare rollout, he didn't fire her. He also appointed Eric Shinseki to head the VA, who presided over the waiting list scandal, the thousands of deaths, and the ensuing coverup from a high level. Obama would not fire him either.

You're assuming incorrectly that Obama would have appointed top people and then fired them if they fucked up.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

i don't really get the fears about violence. before it gets to that, the government would just print as much money as it needed to
    I understand those fears.

People are unemployed and/or can't get supplies they need.

They know the people in the suburbs down the street likely have such supplies and maybe cash in the house too.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

-Donald J. Trump

Could have been earlier on the testing for sure but I have to admit I was still skeptical in January (when I most likely had it btw). Hard to say how this would have been handled if there was a different president. He also closed down travel from China fairly quickly and was mocked and called a racist for it. Pretty sure Biden even criticized him for it at the time. If he hadn’t done that we would probably be closer to Italy’s position now.

As far as never admitting fault for anything, that’s one of the worst possible traits a leader can have. It’s been pure hell anytime I’ve worked under someone that never can admit they’re wrong and takes credit for the work of others. I can’t imagine working for him.
    trump refused testing kits from the WHO when they were offered. you know why? cause he didn't want to scare the markets.

you know what else scares the markets? a 20% unemployment rate

trump is still pushing for CDC cuts in his proposed budget. how on earth are we not doubling our budget there?

oh and trump fired the entire US pandemic response team in 2018

trump never thought through the worse case scenarios and didn't take serious enough actions to stop the spread of this imo

Load Metric

I understand those fears.

People are unemployed and/or can't get supplies they need.

They know the people in the suburbs down the street likely have such supplies and maybe cash in the house too.
    i guess, though that's the way it is all the time. granted, you'll have more people unemployed but i am cautiously optimistic that the government will step in

trump knows he has to get the economy working again and the dems are usually on board with giving out free money.

Diamond
    Load Metric

trump refused testing kits from the WHO when they were offered. you know why? cause he didn't want to scare the markets.

trump is still pushing for CDC cuts in his proposed budget. how on earth are we not doubling our budget there?

trump never thought through the worse case scenarios and didn't take serious enough actions to stop the spread of this imo

Incorrect. Reorganizing a 400 person team is not firing the entire team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...sponse-office/

It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity). As The Post reported in 2015, from the Clinton administration to the Obama administration’s second term, the NSC’s staff “had quadrupled in size, to nearly 400 people.” That is why Trump began streamlining the NSC staff in 2017.

One such move at the NSC was to create the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled.

Load Metric
    i honestly have no fucking idea what it would take for trump apologists to just accept that their leader is clearly an intellectual crippled grifte- ohhhhhhh.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric

I don’t think he’s anymore qualified than my 4 year old to project worst case scenarios. He could have been lying in January to protect the markets but my take is that he was completely clueless at that time and really didn’t think this was a big deal. Interesting thing to me is at some point someone got through to him which is a miracle in itself. Usually when this dude makes up his mind there isn’t anyone around that he respects enough to change it. He went from hoax to national emergency in about a week. I like to picture one of his generals slapping the shit out of him until he came around.

Load Metric

The problem is that the government is trying to turn landlords into funders of housing welfare. Not fair.

If da gubbmint is gonna make landlords hold onto freeloading renters (whether the freeloading is intentional or unintentional), then it should pay the landlords for this.

In many states, evictions take a long time. Right now in Los Angeles County, tenants have 6 months to pay rent before they can be evicted. This means someone who didn't pay their March 1 rent can't be evicted until September 1, and then it could take another several months for the eviction to go through -- especially with the court backlog at that point. It's not unrealistic that freeloaders could squeeze a year of free rent out of this.

As Trump would say, "Unfair!"
    If everyone is suffering, why are landlords exempt from the economic impact?

I will negotiate with my property management as such.

You cant raise my rent for the next 3 years.

I will pay 50%(Can negotiate to 75%) of my rent till July 1st or when I head back to work fulltime. Whichever comes first.

Considering the alternative and the fact that my roommate skipped out to go back to OK without even telling me and that shvartzas wont be paying them period for months and months, with no recourse, I think they will agree to this.

Of course this will be in writing and notarized.
    Trump to suspend evictions, authorizes Defense Production Act to mobilize businesses to aid coronavirus response

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1162641

The law, enacted in 1950, allows the president to force American businesses to produce materials in the national defense, such as ventilators and medical supplies for health care workers.

Trump also said his administration is "suspending all foreclosures and evictions until the end of April" to help those affected by the virus.
    Why would anyone pay on their mortgage or pay rent right now? Especially if you are unemployed. If you have money, just set the money aside, just in case of emergency.

Thread Information