Page 10 of 946 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm thinking that the LA card rooms are going to get crushed by this, unless it resolves fairly quickly.

The problem is that we have no idea how serious the virus really is, regarding it's deadliness.

It could be like the flu, which only kills the already-vulnerable, or it could be some awful incurable virus which kills healthy people.

If it's the latter, and if the occurrence of death from it isn't rare, then people are going to freak out and avoid what they perceive to be dangerous.

Soon enough there will be enough cases outside of China in more reputable countries, to where we will have a more truthful picture as to what's going on.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I'm thinking that the LA card rooms are going to get crushed by this, unless it resolves fairly quickly.

The problem is that we have no idea how serious the virus really is, regarding it's deadliness.

It could be like the flu, which only kills the already-vulnerable, or it could be some awful incurable virus which kills healthy people.

If it's the latter, and if the occurrence of death from it isn't rare, then people are going to freak out and avoid what they perceive to be dangerous.

Soon enough there will be enough cases outside of China in more reputable countries, to where we will have a more truthful picture as to what's going on.

one of the first victims was a 62 year old doctor. doctors are usually pretty on their game, health wise.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Silver
    Load Metric
    Have a trip booked to Vegas seven weeks from today for March Madness.

Current odds my trip gets canceled? My current line is 12:1.

I’ll be pretty devastated if it does as pulling off a trip like this is no easy task at this stage in my life.

Comments

BCR: You’ll be fine

Load Metric
    Heard a cruise ship with 6000 guests is being held offshore due to coronavirus fears.

Load Metric
    Trump’s commerce secretary raises a good point. why would anyone choose to build a factory in China, home of SARS , the swine flu and now coronavirus

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-...american-jobs/

Load Metric
    A second person in Chicago got the Coronavirus. This person had NOT traveled to China, but rather was the spouse of the person who had the disease. This is the first person to person transmission in the US so far. 21 other possible infections in Illinois are being investigated.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...ed~curatedpage

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Heard a cruise ship with 6000 guests is being held offshore due to coronavirus fears.
    I don't usually get involved with these sort of things, but I am supposed to be going on an Alaskan cruise soon, I mean, I'm looking forward towards finding a way to skip out on this because I can't stand cruises. I kind of figured that this would be safe from the coronavirus, and this all feels very similar to the swine flu but I can't imagine a worst situation than being packed in a ship while this is happening.

Silver
    Load Metric

You raise an interesting issue. The LAPC is going on right now at Commerce. There's a $404,000 guarantee tourney with multi-first days entry available coming up in the next few weeks. Let's say attendance is sparse due to ongoing fears of the virus, resulting in a massive overlay by the weekend.

How big does the overlay have to be for you to throw caution to the wind and put on a mask or two and take your chances*?

*putting aside the local clientele at the LA Clubs, my experience at Commerce and the Bike is that many of the tourney dealers are from China and here on work permits. I would bet they would be reluctant to disclose any recent travels or possible health issues.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post

You raise an interesting issue. The LAPC is going on right now at Commerce. There's a $404,000 guarantee tourney with multi-first days entry available coming up in the next few weeks. Let's say attendance is sparse due to ongoing fears of the virus, resulting in a massive overlay by the weekend.

How big does the overlay have to be for you to throw caution to the wind and put on a mask or two and take your chances*?

*putting aside the local clientele at the LA Clubs, my experience at Commerce and the Bike is that many of the tourney dealers are from China and here on work permits. I would bet they would be reluctant to disclose any recent travels or possible health issues.
    They'll probably cancel the guarantee if this happens. That's what the Seminole Hard Rock did when they were going to miss a guarantee and blamed it on the weather.

Load Metric

Health experts have already determined that the death rate is about 3%.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ing-to-answer/

The bigger issue is how widely the virus will spread before it is sufficiently contained by public health measures. If most of China gets infected, the death toll there could rise to tens of millions. Of course the same issue applies to the US population, but the US has a much more sophisticated epidemic disease control system than China, so the risk of it spreading to a large percentage of the US population is likely very low.

Comments

dwai: IT'S PRONOUNCED "GINA"
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  33.1 KB

Load Metric
    Coronavirus cases top 8,200 — surpassing 2003 SARS outbreak in less than a month, 212 dead in China.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    American Airlines pilots are suing to stop flights.

Load Metric
    Oh stop it, I don't care how many get it, its how many die that counts.

Call me when its deadlier, otherwise compare it to a bee sting.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post

Suspected Chinese Wuhan Virus Cases:

1/27 5,974
    1/28 6,973
    1/29 9,239
    1/30 12,167
    1/31 15,238

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post

Suspected Chinese Wuhan Virus Cases:

1/27 5,974
    1/28 6,973
    1/29 9,239
    1/30 12,167
    1/31 15,238

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died.

Load Metric
    lol @ blake trying to not get strung up next time he coughs.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    lol @ blake trying to not get strung up next time he coughs.

I was on the Subway yesterday and saw few wearing masks, some non Asians even. I legit kinda freaked out and kept it moving to the end of the car.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I brought up the fear of going to Commerce on Twitter, and Matt Savage (Commerce tournament director) quickly jumped in and tried to minimize the threat of the coronavirus, comparing it to the flu.

Most people disagreed with him.

I feel bad for Savage here. If the LAPC flops, this one isn't his fault, and yet he might have a hard time convincing the top brass at Commerce that it was the coronavirus and not him.

They already abruptly fired the other tournament director, Justin Hammer, last year.

I don't know Savage well, but he's always been very nice to me, and very supportive of PFA and the radio show. Still, there's no way I'm going to Commerce again until I have a better handle on the risk I'm taking, and that includes the two LAPC events coming up which I had planned upon playing.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I brought up the fear of going to Commerce on Twitter, and Matt Savage (Commerce tournament director) quickly jumped in and tried to minimize the threat of the coronavirus, comparing it to the flu.

Most people disagreed with him.

I feel bad for Savage here. If the LAPC flops, this one isn't his fault, and yet he might have a hard time convincing the top brass at Commerce that it was the coronavirus and not him.

They already abruptly fired the other tournament director, Justin Hammer, last year.

I don't know Savage well, but he's always been very nice to me, and very supportive of PFA and the radio show. Still, there's no way I'm going to Commerce again until I have a better handle on the risk I'm taking, and that includes the two LAPC events coming up which I had planned upon playing.
    Buttttt......if you get 50% off the cafeteria then we give it a shot no?

Name:  Marvelous-Mrs-Maisel-Tony-Shalhoub.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  48.6 KB

Thread Information