Page 188 of 946 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238288688 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,760 of 18919

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    I mentioned a girl I graduated with had a husband with it last week. He passed this afternoon. I wasn’t close with her ever. Just recall her. I saw the guy. Just a normal dude. Late 40s-early 50s I’d guess. He died this afternoon. My buddy asked a friend close to her and he had no pre-existing conditions. She had just lost her father the first week of March. Rough fucking month. Every public story I’ve seen locally with names are guys 40-55 so far. This is first who didn’t make it. I’m sure there are elderly people with it predominantly and not doing interviews or have friends on social media. Have to say this problem seems more problematic for our demo here than I thought it was going to be.

Comments

sonatine: jesus..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake
    ok but mine were good. i'm out
    I went back to where your conversation with DTHP went off the rails and started deleting there. I didn't delete the whole thing, just when it turned into an annoying back and forth which was cluttering the one thread we have to discuss the virus.

I can't just delete his posts and leave your responses to him. I needed to get control of the thread so it doesn't degenerate into crap, which is what was happening. This was nothing personal against anyone, and nobody was banned or restricted (or even removed from the thread).

It is your choice if you wish to continue posting here, but this seems like a silly reason to quit. I don't interfere with the content of this forum often, but occasionally I will notice a thread is turning into shit and will take measures to stop that. This was one of those times.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I mentioned a girl I graduated with had a husband with it last week. He passed this afternoon. I wasn’t close with her ever. Just recall her. I saw the guy. Just a normal dude. Late 40s-early 50s I’d guess. He died this afternoon. My buddy asked a friend close to her and he had no pre-existing conditions. She had just lost her father the first week of March. Rough fucking month. Every public story I’ve seen locally with names are guys 40-55 so far. This is first who didn’t make it. I’m sure there are elderly people with it predominantly and not doing interviews or have friends on social media. Have to say this problem seems more problematic for our demo here than I thought it was going to be.
    Yes, there seem to be some random middle aged people who are just dying from it, and that just seems so terrible. You get it, then you just have to hope that you're not going to be among that unlucky small percentage to get nailed by severe symptoms or death, and are helpless to stop it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yes, there seem to be some random middle aged people who are just dying from it, and that just seems so terrible. You get it, then you just have to hope that you're not going to be among that unlucky small percentage to get nailed by severe symptoms or death, and are helpless to stop it.
    I just read a family member of his posting on it and it’s even more tragic. He was 52. The girl who posted was family. She made the post before he passed. She was asking for prayers for her family members. The 52 year old, his aunt and uncle who I presume are old, and his cousins’s husband all were in ICU on vents. Four members of the same family. As I mentioned, his wife had lost her father three weeks ago. Made me think maybe they picked it up at the funeral or hospital?. This thing is nasty. Makes me question if some strains are more virulent than others. That seems statistically improbable age aside.

Load Metric

I just read a family member of his posting on it and it’s even more tragic. He was 52. The girl who posted was family. She made the post before he passed. She was asking for prayers for her family members. The 52 year old, his aunt and uncle who I presume are old, and his cousins’s husband all were in ICU on vents. Four members of the same family. As I mentioned, his wife had lost her father three weeks ago. Made me think maybe they picked it up at the funeral or hospital?. This thing is nasty. Makes me question if some strains are more virulent than others. That seems statistically improbable age aside.
    yeah its 100% established that as of feb (i think?) there were 2 main strains, i think E and L.. and L had a much higher body count.

i read about 8 current strains the other day.

also it calls into question fauci's assertion that you cant get re-infected to an extent...
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If this thing can mutate common cold style and keep infecting people 3-4 times per year, we are fucked. The new normal will be a certain % of the over-40 population dying of this each year, especially older people.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

yeah its 100% established that as of feb (i think?) there were 2 main strains, i think E and L.. and L had a much higher body count.

also it calls into question fauci's assertion that you cant get re-infected to an extent...

I feel like as the most important topic ever there is a running list of things that keep getting talked about that never get clarity.

I’ve read you can be reinfected and I’ve heard you can’t

I’ve read blood type can greatly impact both how susceptible you are and how hard it hits you (you don’t want to be A)

I’ve read people with high blood pressure medications can get hit harder

I’ve read warm weather climates it’s harder to transmit (Thailand talk earlier)

Type of thing I’d wish pence would talk about

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have high blood pressure and blood type A.... so.... not good.

Even worse for my dad who also has both of those factors, but is mid-70s.

Comments

Daly: :laterfag

splitthis: Hope your isolation is flawless

Load Metric
    If this thing can mutate common cold style and keep infecting people 3-4 times per year, we are fucked. The new normal will be a certain % of the over-40 population dying of this each year, especially older people.
    On the bright side, when a virus mutates it's usually less deadly.

They're also saying influenza mutates 10× faster.

Also, the way I understand it. A virus would need to mutate through a host animal for us to lose immunity or protection from a vaccine... like influenza mutates through birds etc.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

I feel like as the most important topic ever there is a running list of things that keep getting talked about that never get clarity.

I’ve read blood type can greatly impact both how susceptible you are and how hard it hits you (you don’t want to be A)

when i talk to my virologist friends the first and loudest power chord they strum is that this administration has utterly failed to provide anything like the bare essentials for this sort of data.

either they are hiding absolutely terrifying shit from us, or they are simply not letting professionals do their jobs. things like temperature tolerances should have been in the public domain within hours of wuhan hitting the news. but as of today, the amount of time the virus can survive on a surface is either 17 days or 3 days, depending on if you ask the CDC or WHO.

and the thing is, this constant lack of hard data combined with relentless half baked assertions that get reversed a week later is why a shocking number of people literally believe its all a hoax and that the hospitals in ny are empty. you can draw a straight line connecting those two realities.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Silver
    Load Metric

when i talk to my virologist friends the first and loudest power chord they strum is that this administration has utterly failed to provide anything like the bare essentials for this sort of data.

either they are hiding absolutely terrifying shit from us, or they are simply not letting professionals do their jobs. things like temperature tolerances should have been in the public domain within hours of wuhan hitting the news. but as of today, the amount of time the virus can survive on a surface is either 17 days or 3 days, depending on if you ask the CDC or WHO.

and the thing is, this constant lack of hard data combined with relentless half baked assertions that get reversed a week later is why a shocking number of people literally believe its all a hoax and that the hospitals in ny are empty. you can draw a straight line connecting those two realities.
    They have massive credibility problems because they are lying/confused about a lot of obvious stuff - they told us masks don't work.

Can this be spread from mosquitoes? Seems like a reasonable question this time of the year in the West. For instance:

They claim it's transferred on surfaces but can't be transferred in food or animals yet they claim the source is a bat in a wet market someone ate?

So a food isn't a surface (huh?) and it can't be transferred in food, but the source of this virus hell was an animal that is food (huh)?

I mean literally who in the fuck knows what the truth is.

Flu season is over so lots of free hospital space right? Apparently not.

Load Metric

There's no clarity because nobody has any firm answers. This shit is too new.

Nobody knows about re-infection rates for sure, or how long you can go before you are susceptible to reinfection. There's a study of like 2K deaths in China that shows type A is the hardest hit, but its China, and one study of deaths with no other controlled variables doesn't make anything even close to definitive. There's nothing definitive about the HBP meds, but HBP itself is for sure not great to have if you get this, its one of the underlying conditions that can kill you faster for sure, and ppl with HBP often have other underlying conditions, so there hasn;t been enough time to sort all that shit out. Nobody's sure about the warm weather deal, it may mitigate things a bit, but its quite unlikely that it stops things substantially, but nobody knows yet.

Everyone wants answers that nobody has yet.

Load Metric

Comments

splitthis: God gets all credit always

Tellafriend:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

They have massive credibility problems because they are lying/confused about a lot of obvious stuff - they told us masks don't work.

Can this be spread from mosquitoes? Seems like a reasonable question this time of the year in the West. For instance:

They claim it's transferred on surfaces but can't be transferred in food or animals yet they claim the source is a bat in a wet market someone ate?

So a food isn't a surface (huh?) and it can't be transferred in food, but the source of this virus hell was an animal that is food (huh)?

I mean literally who in the fuck knows what the truth is.

Flu season is over so lots of free hospital space right? Apparently not.
    What appears to be the main problem with these wet markets is they have animals from all over the world literally caged and on top of each other. Animals that would normally have very little or no contact with each other.

General consensus is, a bat infected a host animal and this host animal infected humans.
    Not through actual eating... apparantly. Though the preperation and contact with the animal they were about to eat could have lead to airborne or contact transmission .
    Last edited by Salty_Aus; 03-29-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Bronze
    Load Metric

What appears to be the main problem with these wet markets is they have animals from all over the world literally caged and on top of each other. Animals that would normally have very little or no contact with each other.

General consensus is, a bat infected a host animal and this host animal infected humans.
    Not through eating... apparantly.
    Chinese wet markets were identified as a likely source of new zoonotic infections

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16940861

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Eisenhower View Post

Not through eating... apparantly.
    Chinese wet markets were identified as a likely source of new zoonotic infections

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16940861[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but the means of infection is not through digesting the flesh.
    But of course preparing and contact with an animal can lead to infection.

Load Metric
    Thats almost JimmyG level quoting there.

Comments

thesidedish: nice

Load Metric
    i'm over trying to keep up with this thread because 80% of it is 1000 word posts about nothing

that being said, last wednesday i started getting temps in mid-high 99's - thursday night i peaked at 100.4

i had a constant mild headache the last couple days as well as symptoms that could be covid or just seasonal allergies in addition to the fever, which i never have

my brother is an ER doc but i hadn't mentioned any of this to him until thursday night

before telling him my temp i asked him at what temp should you start to be worried because it's outside of the normal range

he said 100.4 so that didn't make me feel too good - the next day my temp normalized and has been there ever since

also that thursday morning my godfather (and uncle) was taken to the hospital by ambulance and when he got checked out they said he had pneumonia on his left long and it was likely he had it. they sent him home and said he should get his test results in 24-48 hours. the next day they said test results would instead be 3-5 days

he finally got his test results this morning but they said there was a 30% chance it was a false negative so the tests are lol fail, and they still ordered him to quarantine for the next 14 days

edit/update:
    my uncle has since recovered and i'm back to my usual low to mid 97 temps

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Wishing him a speedy recovery

Dan Druff: gl to him... and you

Kuntmissioner: Godspeed William

Crowe Diddly: We'll be think of you guys. GL.
    Last edited by WillieMcFML; 04-10-2020 at 12:05 AM.
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Thats almost JimmyG level quoting there.
    Sorry. I think his reply was in the body of my post... and it got all fucked up.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

So we are just setting aside all the dangerous things he said before?

Right now he's saying restrictions should be lifted by Easter. There's no way to know if that's scientifically warranted, and it likely is not. Knowing what we know now, if he tells people to go back to normal life before Easter, he's killing people.

Fortunately, it will be mostly his supporters who listen and do it.

Alternatively, by not giving any kind of timeline, you are plunging this country deeper and deeper in a hole mentally and economically. At some point we have to say ok time to get back to work. If we wait till a vaccine is developed, we might as well sit home till 2021.
    It might be necessary. It's not clear yet. But you can forget about Easter because Trump was just forced to extend the isolation recommendations to the end of April.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information