Page 285 of 947 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335385785 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,700 of 18930

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I shouldn't even bother responding when you say "Trump called it a hoax", when you know he was saying that the Democrats blaming him for a bad response was the "hoax". This just destroys the credibility of everything else you write in the same post.

Despite this long list of complaints you have about Trump, I'm still not understanding how Pelosi can criticize his response in February when she was on TV in late Feb doing the "let's not be racist, go to Chinatown to prove you're not" tour.
    I'm talking about what he's doing now.

And he did call it a hoax. His followers are all calling it a hoax too. Or "hype." Taking their cues from him and from the right wing hate machine.

The worst disgrace yet in a long line of disgraces.
    Yes, some of his followers did call it a hoax, but he didn't. He said the "Democrat hoax", referring to the attack on his response to it. If you look at the context of everything else he was saying before and after that, it's clear he wasn't calling the coronavirus a hoax. In fact, he said that AFTER he put on the China travel restrictions, which wouldn't make sense if he thought it was a hoax.

Comments

MumblesBadly: His response was ducking pathetic, and you would be rage-posting about such incompetence if the president had been a Democrat!

big dick: cattle

Load Metric
    I think we have a shitty government here, but hard to fault preparedness.

Pissy little country like Australia managed to do 10,000 tests while the US did 470-odd.

We have a huge Asian population and we got a few cases from Wuhan, then we got the Iranian wave then Italy.
    The US wave caught us by surprise, at one point 90% of new cases were from folks returning from the US and tourists/workers.

In the five weeks in which we did 10,000 tests, you should have done a minimum of 100,000. US is ten times the size of Oz.
    Who thinks that might have made a difference?
    I was stunned to see you had done 470 tests till the end of February... utterly fucking gobsmacked.
    Was 100% sure it was fake news.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

Pissy little country like Australia managed to do 10,000 tests while the US did 470-odd.

We have a huge Asian population and we got a few cases from Wuhan, then we got the Iranian wave then Italy.
    The US wave caught us by surprise, at one point 90% of new cases were from folks returning from the US and tourists/workers.

In the five weeks in which we did 10,000 tests, you should have done a minimum of 100,000. US is ten times the size of Oz.
    I was stunned to see you had done 470 tests till the end of February... utterly fucking gobsmacked.

when you consider that we dont really have a government right now, the pieces fall into place a bit.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond
    Load Metric

Granted we should have gotten tests made faster and that's the difference between a country of your size and one of ours. Things move a lot quicker and in ours there's a lot of bullshit to go through to be approved.

That being said, we had 102 cases as of March 3rd. 102. That's it. Have to put that into context of the size of our population.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

I'm talking about what he's doing now.

And he did call it a hoax. His followers are all calling it a hoax too. Or "hype." Taking their cues from him and from the right wing hate machine.

The worst disgrace yet in a long line of disgraces.
    Yes, some of his followers did call it a hoax, but he didn't. He said the "Democrat hoax", referring to the attack on his response to it. If you look at the context of everything else he was saying before and after that, it's clear he wasn't calling the coronavirus a hoax. In fact, he said that AFTER he put on the China travel restrictions, which wouldn't make sense if he thought it was a hoax.
    how do you reconcile that with his belief that the virus would miss us entirely, except for one or two cases? this was after it was already ravaging parts of the world.

if he believed the virus was a real threat (and not a hoax), how could he have ever thought that?

is it at least fair to say that he thought the danger to the US people (and the economy) was a hoax? is that controversial?

please reconcile these for me in a sensible way.

i don't think you get this guy's level of distrust in other governmental officials or news agencies.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

Granted we should have gotten tests made faster and that's the difference between a country of your size and one of ours. Things move a lot quicker and in ours there's a lot of bullshit to go through to be approved.

That being said, we had 102 cases as of March 3rd. 102. That's it. Have to put that into context of the size of our population.

how would you know that with no tests?

Comments

OSA: read my first sentence

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

how do you reconcile that with his belief that the virus would miss us entirely, except for one or two cases? this was after it was already ravaging parts of the world.

if he believed the virus was a real threat (and not a hoax), how could he have ever thought that?

is it at least fair to say that he thought the danger to the US people (and the economy) was a hoax? is that controversial?

please reconcile these for me in a sensible way.

i don't think you get this guy's level of distrust in other governmental officials or news agencies.

also please include the part about how our moles in the WHO were feeding him real time intelligence on the breakout including infection models showing us getting our shit pushed in 100 times out of 100, i want that factored into this thesis as well please, as it tends to undermine the assertion that the republicans arent death tripping evangelicals who distrust science and math.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Curacao style map commences

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

It's a test that they stick either up your nose or down your throat. It's not a medicine it's a simple test.
    First batch were bad, it was a shambles... wasn't a priority.

Your president was in fantasy land.

Name:  TC.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  153.1 KB

Comments

big dick: .

Load Metric
    follow up question how is it that china can reverse engineer our stealth bombers over lunch but we cant reverse engineer one of their covid tests in 3 months...

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    follow up question how is it that china can reverse engineer our stealth bombers over lunch but we cant reverse engineer one of their covid tests in 3 months...

Lol @ taking ANY direction from China. What are you talking about dude. JFC

Load Metric
    At risk of being trolled, I only post this for perspective. A lot of people have posted about people they know or heard about locally getting this shit and some dying. Well it got my dad this morning. He was 70 with a long history of illness including diabetes and breathing issues (not to mention previous cancers, etc). So we knew it was a death sentence but it still happened so quickly. He had made a conscious choice to lose the fight at home instead of a hospital on a useless ventilator.

I was around him quite a bit the last few days and even more in the previous week as I borrowed some tools from him for a project I was doing. It’s scary to think myself and wife/kids could be infected too. And it really sucks that we likely won’t be able to have a funeral.

Comments

OSA: sorry to hear that dude

Sheesfaced: That sucks. Condolences.

dwai: rip to your dad, condolences to you and your family

simply1: Condolences

JoeD: sorry to hear, condolences.

blake: yikes, sorry

sonatine: tough fucking break man

BetCheckBet:

gimmick:

MumblesBadly: Sorry to hear this shit got real for you and your fam. Condolences.

Tellafriend: yikes

SPIT this: Really sorry to hear. Unfortunately we do need to independently verify this

JACKDANIELS: godspeed sizzler

Walter Sobchak: Holy shit. Condolences to your family

big dick: Sorry sizzler. Rip -(

splitthis: May he Rest In Peace, now honor him by living healthy

Hockey Guy: So sorry to hear.

Gordman: Im very sorry for your loss. My condolences for you and your family

JohnCommode: God Bless him and I wish nothing but the best for you
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    By March the 4th you should have done 100,000 tests.

Instead you do like 500 tests and catch 100 who were obviously infected.

March 4 you should have caught 1,000 - 1,500 cases. Obviously you're paying for it now.

Diamond
    Load Metric

March 4 you should have caught 1,000 - 1,500 cases. Obviously you're paying for it now.

Love how you take numbers out of your ass, mate. Good job.

Load Metric

We did 10,000 by then. OK let's not argue. 50,000?

Load Metric

Lol @ taking ANY direction from China. What are you talking about dude. JFC

its becoming obvious that your response to anything that isnt in your wheelhouse is to disparage it and act like you cant believe how stupid the 'opinion' is.

thats something you should discuss with your therapist.

like kinda fast.

Load Metric
    Sad news for some of the folks I’ve worked with over the past several years:

In the coming month, the company I work for is shutting down one of its terminals, which will result in about 150 people losing their jobs with the company. Part of this move is due to the company consolidating operations across subsidiaries, but with some lines of freight getting hit by the coronavirus crisis, I’m guessing that this consolidation was likely accelerated by the need to trim costs during this economic slowdown.

Keep well, good folks!
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

singapore having a real one.

also quick reminder singapore was like the asian country that had a handle on this.

Platinum
    Load Metric

We did 10,000 by then. OK let's not argue. 50,000?
    Even though we hadn’t done many tests by then, people with even mild symptoms were told to self quarantine for 2 weeks so we were basically treating everyone like they were positive anyway. I see testing as more important on the back end than the front. It’s required to open the country back up.

Load Metric

singapore having a real one.

also quick reminder singapore was like the asian country that had a handle on this.
    Note how this spike occurred in worker “dormitories”? Well, if you are envisioning dorms like some of us enjoyed staying in while in college...

Name:  F2CC5213-64B6-4388-A503-FC5E5B8DA2B5.jpeg
Views: 375
Size:  187.4 KB

...here’s a recent article that will quickly banish that image from your mind, and replace it with one of a disease-incubating overcrowded workers’ prison.

The Spike in Singapore’s Coronavirus Cases Reveals an Uncomfortable Truth About the Treatment of Migrant Workers
    https://www.vice.com/en_asia/article...ers-inequality

Since April 13, Singapore has been reporting over 300 cases of COVID-19 every day, in what appears to be a worrying spike in the coronavirus pandemic.

Previously hailed as the poster child of outbreak management, the rise in the number of cases in the past week has caught authorities off guard. A closer look at the numbers reveal that most of the cases are concentrated among migrant workers, a group often neglected by the government. These migrants come from countries like India, Myanmar, and Bangladesh, and typically work in labour-intensive sectors such as construction and the maritime industry, on short-term contracts. Most of them live in dormitories, where as many as 20 people can share one room, leaving them more susceptible to catching the virus.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    After 2 months of it being cold and rainy, it is supposed to shoot up to high 80s and sunny here in a couple days, which probably means 90s where I live. Obviously going to follow all sensible guidelines indoors (and stay out of migrant worker "dorms"), but gonna be nice to relax a little outdoors, as it seems in sunlight and high heat really make disease transmittance negligible.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Those Singapore worker dorms obviously needed wall-to-wall sunroofs.

Thread Information