Page 767 of 947 FirstFirst ... 267667717757763764765766767768769770771777817867 ... LastLast
Results 15,321 to 15,340 of 18923

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Assholes lined up for hours for tests here in Florida. I can only assume most want to test positive so they can take off work. No other logical reason for people to care if they have it or not if they aren’t sick or have cold symptoms.

Spoiler alert, everyone has it or will get it and most won’t even know they did.

Fucking ����

Oh theyll know. Darlene will take a week to recover but specimens like me will take 24 hrs and Im back for the ripping and the tearing all day.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I have a theory as to why Omicron might be transmitting so quickly, and it would explain a lot. I haven't read this anywhere -- it's just a guess.

Recall that original COVID and its other variants spread the same way -- in a respiratory fashion, through the air. The best estimate is that it's mostly through air, and somewhat through droplets (though not nearly as much as in the air). It did NOT spread on surfaces, and apparently did NOT spread through food or drink. However, if in the same room with someone who has COVID or pre-symptomatic COVID, your chance of getting it was fairly high, especially if in the room for 15 minutes or more, and especially if fairly close to that person. This is why it was so transmissible.

The common cold was/is significantly less contagious than COVID, but spread in a lot more ways, and was far more difficult to avoid. You CAN get the common cold from surfaces. You CAN get the common cold from eating or drinking something which was contaminated by an infected person. You CAN get the common cold from droplets or through the air. So while less contagious, colds were far more difficult to avoid. Thus, even with tremendously less exposure than usual, I still caught two colds in 2020, while I did not get COVID.

Now imagine a hybrid of COVID and the common cold (both coronaviruses). What if you combined the high respiratory spread of COVID with the ability to spread on surfaces and through food/drink of the common cold. You would have something both highly contagious and incredibly difficult to avoid. This would result in an explosion of cases, like we are presently seeing.

It will be interesting to see if this ends up being the reason it is spreading so quickly.

Still, as stated before, I'm really starting to get the idea that it's getting pretty close to being a cold, and it's time to stop panicking. I wish the media/government would just be fully honest and transparent about this.
    Cov2 isn't more contagious than common cold. It's more contagious than flu (influenza). This is roughly the current theory of the faster spread...

"Researchers at the University of Hong Kong recently reported another change with omicron: where it replicates in the body. In a study that has not yet been peer-reviewed, the team found that omicron multiplies 70 times faster in the bronchi — the passages leading into the lungs — compared to delta, as soon as 24 hours after infection. But deeper in the lungs, omicron replicates at a rate lower than the original version of the virus.

In the upper airways, more virus replication may make it easier to breathe out virus particles, allowing them to spread more readily between people. And with lower numbers in the lungs, it may cause less severe illness compared to other variants."

https://www.vox.com/22846696/omicron...tation-vaccine

...the virus in general is problematic because it effects upper and lower respiratory tract. Common cold is predominantly upper respiratory tract disease. Rhinoviruses live longer on surfaces, but that's not even why the "cold" is more contagious. It's more contagious because of the above quote and because it's a collection of symptoms that's caused by 200+ different viruses.
    I had read before that it's more contagious than the common cold (which, yes, I realize it a collection of symptoms to describe a bunch of viruses which present in similar fashion).

The number of ways the common cold can spread is very important when it comes to practicing avoidance. It is extremely difficult to avoid the common cold. It can be on the surface of anything which comes into your home -- mail, groceries, packages, etc. It can be in the air. It can be in your food or drink. A lot of this is hard or impossible to control.

With COVID, if you simply stayed away from public indoor spaces, and nobody in your house brought the virus home, you were highly unlikely to get it. Anecdotally, this is why I had two colds in 2020, but didn't catch COVID.

I believe the common cold coronavirus spreads on surfaces in a similar fashion to the rhinovirus version, so it's not a big stretch to think that a hybrid of the common cold and COVID might also spread this way.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Cov2 isn't more contagious than common cold. It's more contagious than flu (influenza). This is roughly the current theory of the faster spread...

"Researchers at the University of Hong Kong recently reported another change with omicron: where it replicates in the body. In a study that has not yet been peer-reviewed, the team found that omicron multiplies 70 times faster in the bronchi — the passages leading into the lungs — compared to delta, as soon as 24 hours after infection. But deeper in the lungs, omicron replicates at a rate lower than the original version of the virus.

In the upper airways, more virus replication may make it easier to breathe out virus particles, allowing them to spread more readily between people. And with lower numbers in the lungs, it may cause less severe illness compared to other variants."

https://www.vox.com/22846696/omicron...tation-vaccine

...the virus in general is problematic because it effects upper and lower respiratory tract. Common cold is predominantly upper respiratory tract disease. Rhinoviruses live longer on surfaces, but that's not even why the "cold" is more contagious. It's more contagious because of the above quote and because it's a collection of symptoms that's caused by 200+ different viruses.
    I had read before that it's more contagious than the common cold (which, yes, I realize it a collection of symptoms to describe a bunch of viruses which present in similar fashion).

The number of ways the common cold can spread is very important when it comes to practicing avoidance. It is extremely difficult to avoid the common cold. It can be on the surface of anything which comes into your home -- mail, groceries, packages, etc. It can be in the air. It can be in your food or drink. A lot of this is hard or impossible to control.

With COVID, if you simply stayed away from public indoor spaces, and nobody in your house brought the virus home, you were highly unlikely to get it. Anecdotally, this is why I had two colds in 2020, but didn't catch COVID.

I believe the common cold coronavirus spreads on surfaces in a similar fashion to the rhinovirus version, so it's not a big stretch to think that a hybrid of the common cold and COVID might also spread this way.
    Name:  RDT_20211228_114747758064161501718604.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  69.9 KB

Comments

Jayjami: Go inject yourself with bleach

splitthis: Offset fear monger

The Boz: Double offset

David USF: Offset the offsets.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Name:  Dead1.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  186.2 KB
    I'm starting to notice a pattern.

Don't believe that shit about Omni being mild, think near term human extinction.
    Jk but you know what I mean.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Even SF Gate is admitting that Omicron is far more mild, and we aren't likely to see hospitals overwhelmed.

This is a left-wing, Bay area publication.

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/a...a-16731977.php

Load Metric
    Name:  Screenshot_20211229-132620_Reddit.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  401.4 KB

FOLLOW THE SCIENCE!!

Name:  Screenshot_20211229-132745_Gallery.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  339.8 KB

Load Metric
    So the surrounding communities including our town have instituted a mask mandate. An absolute nightmare.

We bumped my kid upstairs to grind management. He has been subsequently sent back downstairs to act as a bouncer to enforce the policy. My kid comes home and says, “everyone should get sick and get this over with”. All his friends are sick now. His generation is pissed the fuck off. Can’t blame him. My twenties and his twenties - there is no comparison. I win.

We work very closely with the board of health on food and other stuff so more than any other business we gotta play the game.

There is gonna be trouble though. Customers and staff are at wits end.

Good times.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The never ending thread...........

Noone is ever gonna change anyone's mind and everyone keeps saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Nothing interesting in the last 500+ pages.

Carry on

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

Noone is ever gonna change anyone's mind and everyone keeps saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Carry on
    Semi correct. But even the lunatics on the left are starting lose the battle. Look how upset they are at the latest CDC changes. Blaming Fauci for selling out to big business.

It never changed from the start. A certain segment of the population saw this as an opportunity to redistribute wealth and reward bad life choices. And now they see it slipping away.

As always, personal responsibility rules.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

Carry on
    Semi correct. But even the lunatics on the left are starting lose the battle. Look how upset they are at the latest CDC changes. Blaming Fauci for selling out to big business.

It never changed from the start. A certain segment of the population saw this as an opportunity to redistribute wealth and reward bad life choices. And now they see it slipping away.

As always, personal responsibility rules.

the doomers are losing their shit, it's so funny it's trust the experts until they go against the narrative, Fauci and the CDC have been shitting directly into doomer's faces lately and it's hilarious to watch

Load Metric
    Name:  RDT_20211229_1801165154503395660131230.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  191.7 KB

"wEvE aLwAyS hAD tO hAvE vAcCiNe PaSsPoRtS fOr tRaVeL"

"tHaTs a CoNsPiRaCy ThEoRY"

"yOu cARrY A cElLpHoNe dOnT yOu?"

"CoNsPiRaCy theorists" were right again

Load Metric
    Some Covid masks are better than others. I know – I’m the Mask Nerd

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...al-respirators

Cloth or surgical masks just don’t cut it – respirators are far more effective, and they’re comfortable too

Get rid of your mask and get a respirator instead.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    So the surrounding communities including our town have instituted a mask mandate. An absolute nightmare.

We bumped my kid upstairs to grind management. He has been subsequently sent back downstairs to act as a bouncer to enforce the policy. My kid comes home and says, “everyone should get sick and get this over with”. All his friends are sick now. His generation is pissed the fuck off. Can’t blame him. My twenties and his twenties - there is no comparison. I win.

We work very closely with the board of health on food and other stuff so more than any other business we gotta play the game.

Good times.
    Oh poor thing, that sounds unbearable

This is not the time to get complacent, those new antivirals should put an end to the pandemic as we know it.
    We can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

2 people i know irl died in the last two days.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Good times.
    Yeah it's really not discussed enough how much all these restrictions are choking small businesses. Forget the labor shortage, which is a fail in itself, but more a result of the free money fest than COVID itself. (LOL at Biden blaming "early retirement" for this, by the way.)

However, the more unpleasant you make nonessential activity for people, the less they'll do it. Mask mandates cook the fun out of a lot of recerational activity which involves small businesses. That's why I haven't been to an LA cardroom in 2021. I don't want to be forced to wear a mask while playing poker for hours and hours. It's just unappealing, so I don't go. At the WSOP, there was no mask mandate. So I played the Main Event. Many people feel like I do, even ones who are generally pro-masking.

You're correct that the younger generation is taking it most on the chin, regarding their life experiences. People under 35 have had overwhelmingly better outcomes than people over 35. If you want to make a leftist's head spin, tell them that people under 35 comprise 44% of the US population, and then ask what percentage of COVID deaths they comprise. The answer: 1%. Remove those with major preexisting conditions, and it's about 0%.

We need to get past the mentality of "stop the spread", because this thing is spreading no matter what we do -- especially Omicron. The lockdowns and mask mandates need to end.

Gold
    Load Metric
    So extended family all got together for Christmas. Good times were had.

Multiple family members have since tested positive for Covid. Both my kids are stuffy.

No plans for anyone to get tested. What is the point?

Kids are going to be home all week anyways. My wife's work has pretty much had a don't test, don't tell policy the entire pandemic. And I work for myself.

Comments

dwai: my dude

The Boz: Thank you for your common sense approach.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    So extended family all got together for Christmas. Good times were had.

Multiple family members have since tested positive for Covid. Both my kids are stuffy.

No plans for anyone to get tested. What is the point?

Kids are going to be home all week anyways. My wife's work has pretty much had a don't test, don't tell policy the entire pandemic. And I work for myself.

prepare for their funerals in just "two weeks"!!!!

jk that's what the doomers think, glad you and your family got together and are doing well!

God bless America!

Comments

country978: happy new year dwai

Load Metric

welcome to another conspiracy theory that's now true

Load Metric
    dwai Maxime Bernier is a fucking tool.

Never quote him.

Comments

dwai: if he's in politics I believe you but it doesn't make what he's saying not true

Silver
    Load Metric
    Think we’re long past the point of needing a Covid derangement syndrome gif for Dwai

Comments

dwai: yes

gimmick:

Thread Information