Page 759 of 946 FirstFirst ... 259659709749755756757758759760761762763769809859 ... LastLast
Results 15,161 to 15,180 of 18904

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post

Dwai, would you please try again? He apparently didn't quite get the message the 1st time.
    DeSantis is a disgrace? Really? Lowest COVID infection rate per capita of any state. Period. No Draconian Mandates. No "Rules for thee, but not for me" like California or Michigan. No bullshit manipulation of date like Cuomo. Perhaps you would prefer the Meth Head Andrew Gillum who he narrowly beat out for Gov. You know the one who was found disoriented in a Hotel room with a Male Prostitute.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ans-by-state/\

13th highest as of this week

Florida is on the top half and nowhere near the bottom. I googled but can;t find any reputable source that shows Florida has the best numbers (if they do have good numbers its likely only for a short period which means very little in the big picture). See below on how many have died.

Also looking at all time deaths from COVID florida is 8th per capita (nearly as bad a new york). Not surprisingly Mississippi is the worst along with Alabama. Both of those states have some of the worst vaccination rates (40%).

I actually agree with some of the stuff Florida is doing. But lets not pretend they are not doing so at the expense of lives. The idea they've done the best with COVID cases is LOL. But you can make a case they've allowed acceptable fatalities in order to preserve the economy.
    Last edited by BetCheckBet; 12-11-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah from what I read, that's basically how the Spanish Flu ended -- and this was in the age of poor understanding of viruses, no flu vaccine, and no antibiotics to treat secondary infections (a big cause of death at the time).

The Spanish Flu became a much milder version by mid-1920 -- similar to the seasonal flu, and stopped killing people. Notice that it started in 1918, and lost its killer potency two years later in 1920.

If COVID does the same thing, it will be the same 2-year timeline. So maybe we will get lucky, and Omicron is the COVID version of the mid-1920 Spanish flu.

I still don't believe it will spread as rapidly as predicted, if it hasn't picked up new forms of transmission. There's enough people spending minimal time in public indoor spaces to where it's just not going to get them very easily.
    I wasn't trying to suggest this was neg or untrue or the cause of anything negative. I read it and assumed this was the type of discussion going on in right wing circles and it is.

Solid post lets hope that is the case but since we are discussing the 1918 flu. It was mild before it was the great killer.
    The first wave of the flu lasted from the first quarter of 1918 and was relatively mild. Mortality rates were not appreciably above normal; in the United States ~75,000 flu-related deaths were reported in the first six months of 1918, compared to ~63,000 deaths during the same time period in 1915.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I heard what you had to say about covid and omicron today while in the car. I thought it was pretty incredible how it was almost 11 am in the east and you had been up all night and yet here you were about to say some very important words on a very important issue. Druff, today when you began speaking on this subject I got the sense that you're not entirely comfortable with people being heavily reliant on what you have to say about the virus but then you went on for what seemed like about an hour and made as much sense as anyone has since this whole mess began.

I thought you spoke the most passionately when on the subject of the children and with the voice of a concerned parent. You never once told anyone what to do only what you think is right and wrong. I thought this was one of the most well done segments in the history of the show.

Load Metric
    I heard what you had to say about covid and omicron today while in the car. I thought it was pretty incredible how it was almost 11 am in the east and you had been up all night and yet here you were about to say some very important words on a very important issue. Druff, today when you began speaking on this subject I got the sense that you're not entirely comfortable with people being heavily reliant on what you have to say about the virus but then you went on for what seemed like about an hour and made as much sense as anyone has since this whole mess began.

I thought you spoke the most passionately when on the subject of the children and with the voice of a concerned parent. You never once told anyone what to do only what you think is right and wrong. I thought this was one of the most well done segments in the history of the show.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

I DIDN'T LISTEN BUT I TAKE YOUR WORD FOR IT

DRUFF IS GOD

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

DeSantis is a disgrace? Really? Lowest COVID infection rate per capita of any state. Period. No Draconian Mandates. No "Rules for thee, but not for me" like California or Michigan. No bullshit manipulation of date like Cuomo. Perhaps you would prefer the Meth Head Andrew Gillum who he narrowly beat out for Gov. You know the one who was found disoriented in a Hotel room with a Male Prostitute.

Florida is on the top half and nowhere near the bottom. I googled but can;t find any reputable source that shows Florida has the best numbers (if they do have good numbers its likely only for a short period which means very little in the big picture). See below on how many have died.

Also looking at all time deaths from COVID florida is 8th per capita (nearly as bad a new york). Not surprisingly Mississippi is the worst along with Alabama. Both of those states have some of the worst vaccination rates (40%).

I actually agree with some of the stuff Florida is doing. But lets not pretend they are not doing so at the expense of lives. The idea they've done the best with COVID cases is LOL. But you can make a case they've allowed acceptable fatalities in order to preserve the economy.
    There's 1-2 month valley before winter in Florida numbers after a huge peak in the summer/fall. During their peak they're the worst and during winter/spring they're roughly average. They also may or may not still cook their numbers.

All around this is the worst time to get any accurate numbers from US. 7-day rolling average works with most 1st world countries that don't fax their numbers and have functional automated national databases. US is not one of those countries. You would do better with 14 day batches for averages and direction.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Yeah from what I read, that's basically how the Spanish Flu ended -- and this was in the age of poor understanding of viruses, no flu vaccine, and no antibiotics to treat secondary infections (a big cause of death at the time).

The Spanish Flu became a much milder version by mid-1920 -- similar to the seasonal flu, and stopped killing people. Notice that it started in 1918, and lost its killer potency two years later in 1920.

If COVID does the same thing, it will be the same 2-year timeline. So maybe we will get lucky, and Omicron is the COVID version of the mid-1920 Spanish flu.

I still don't believe it will spread as rapidly as predicted, if it hasn't picked up new forms of transmission. There's enough people spending minimal time in public indoor spaces to where it's just not going to get them very easily.
    I wasn't trying to suggest this was neg or untrue or the cause of anything negative. I read it and assumed this was the type of discussion going on in right wing circles and it is.

Solid post lets hope that is the case but since we are discussing the 1918 flu. It was mild before it was the great killer.
    The first wave of the flu lasted from the first quarter of 1918 and was relatively mild. Mortality rates were not appreciably above normal; in the United States ~75,000 flu-related deaths were reported in the first six months of 1918, compared to ~63,000 deaths during the same time period in 1915.
    There was 2 theories for omicron. The flu x Covid or autoimmunized patient zero that had several months of mutation.

The general direction for survival with viruses is towards increased spread and to be less lethal. The issue with Covid is that it already is fairly safe with the most mobile demographics. It doesn't really care that old people die to it. Also doesn't do any long term planning, like it would be beneficial for it to keep kids alive so they can be reinfected dozens of times during their lifetime.

The above is the reason why influenza is what it is.

And you're correct that the 2nd wave of the Spanish flu was the deadly one. Similarly the worst mutations from Covid, like Delta, have come later. What becomes the dominant strain depends on several features. Usually evolutionary pressure pushes it one direction at a cost of features that would be better if the pressure didn't exist.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The second wave of the Spanish Flu was more deadly, but it was immediately followed by another wave of a much lesser version, and the pandemic gorund to a halt very quickly.

In early 1920, there were a ton of people dying, and they never would have pictured that it would be over soon.

By mid-1920, it was basically done.

However, the comparisons to COVID shouldn't be overdone, because it was a different type of virus, and also because medicine was in such a different state 100 years ago. A lot of people who "died of the Spanish flu" were actually dying of secondary infections -- deaths which would mostly be prevented today with antibiotics, which didn't exist at the time.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Well looks like Florida is going to fuck around and find out.
    Headline from a week ago
    "Florida researchers say they felt "pressure to destroy" COVID-19 data for fear of Gov. Ron DeSantis"

Now this
    Name:  Floorida.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  365.0 KB
    In other words Desantis doesn't even know how to spell science.
    Regardless of political beliefs the task of every decent American should be to vote Desantis out of office.

Stay safe folks, even I'am contemplating whether to get vaccinated.

Comments

Cerveza Fria: Fake News.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    When is it time to admit that all of the masking stuff is just theater?

Even those on the left quietly hate it, but they feel pot committed to keep publicly supporting it:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1470026835144724481

Comments

Entropy: If they want to compete for a Herman Cain Award so be it.

Load Metric
    The second wave of the Spanish Flu was more deadly, but it was immediately followed by another wave of a much lesser version, and the pandemic gorund to a halt very quickly.

In early 1920, there were a ton of people dying, and they never would have pictured that it would be over soon.

By mid-1920, it was basically done.

However, the comparisons to COVID shouldn't be overdone, because it was a different type of virus, and also because medicine was in such a different state 100 years ago. A lot of people who "died of the Spanish flu" were actually dying of secondary infections -- deaths which would mostly be prevented today with antibiotics, which didn't exist at the time.
    1920 was very unique. When WW1 ended in summer 1919, hundreds of thousands of soldiers came back in the fall with new strains of the flu and it spread like wildfire almost instantly. In this particular COVID strain the opposite is occurring where the government is going out of there way to restrict international travel. But its still spreading. By all accounts the OMICRON strain is much weaker, doing what virus' normally do, get more transmissible but less lethal over time.

With vaccines and very soon oral therapeutics available, the best course of action is to let this run its course and burn out like it did in 1920. Right now we have a slow drip which does nobody any good. The Colorado Governor, a Democrat is under left wing heat for saying he is against mandatory masking. His point is, correctly so, he does not require anyone to wear a coat in 10 degree weather either, which freaked out the left. Masking, restricting travel, closing schools is delaying the inevitable, the virus is going to run its course. If you do not get the vaccine, splitthis is correct in get healthy. What we are doing now which is politicizing the virus is the worst possible outcome. Even as a conservative, I readily admit both sides are obnoxious at this point. Fauci is a left wing alarmist, but Desantis is just as bad saying he wants him in jail.

I am burned out on Covid, and I think just about everyone else is. I went to a restaurant the other night. You could have not fit another person in the place. There was a private party going on in a private room, they were all jammed together in a room, not one mask. Staff, no masks. I valeted, driver had no mask when he hopped in my car. Saw him wipe his mouth and promptly touch my steering wheel. A year ago I would have freaked out, now I did not give a shit.

Comments

country978: great post. i am burned out too

JACKDANIELS: this its time to just get on with it

Load Metric

You couldn't have looked very hard. Probably because it doesn't fit your agenda. Here are some easy to find sources:

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-...capita-1654840
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/landon...capita-in-u-s/

There are dozens of other sources, all you have to do is google "Florida has lowest Covid numbers" and they will magically appear. Much the same as your credibility has magically disappeared.
    So fuck off, with your bullshit slanted analysis.

Load Metric

You couldn't have looked very hard. Probably because it doesn't fit your agenda. Here are some easy to find sources:

There are dozens of other sources, all you have to do is google "Florida has lowest Covid numbers" and they will magically appear. Much the same as your credibility has magically disappeared.

Not sure if I am arguing with dupe or troll but my bad if I am. Your article you cited proves my point exactly. One week of good numbers does not offset 18 months.

Also there is no slant to my analysis. I’m literally citing descriptive statistics.Florida covid case and death numbers well above average over the course of the pandemic.

Quote from your article below

However, while Florida is experiencing low case rates now, it is the joint seventh-worst-affected state in regard to overall death rates per 100,000 people throughout the COVID pandemic as a whole, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data as of November 30.

Similarly, it has reported the 15-highest COVID case rate per 100,000 people throughout the pandemic as a whole, the CDC data also showed.

Load Metric
    Got boosted yesterday, currently regretting it.

Woke up multiple times in the night drenched in sweat and had wild dreams all night. No issues from shot 1 or 2.

Achy as fuck today. Thanks Fauci.

Comments

JACKDANIELS: thoughts and prayers
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Woke up multiple times in the night drenched in sweat and had wild dreams all night. No issues from shot 1 or 2.

I got boosted as well saturday all Pfizer. Nothing major Sunday but had a point where I was really tired throughout the day and napping didn’t help. Today I’m pretty much 100 percent

Going to be spending Xmas with family member who has cancer though so gotta do all I can to keep them safe. We’ve pretty much decided at this point we have to go on living and continuing to avoid family is just not worth it for any of us.

Load Metric

Not sure if I am arguing with dupe or troll but my bad if I am. Your article you cited proves my point exactly. One week of good numbers does not offset 18 months.

Also there is no slant to my analysis. I’m literally citing descriptive statistics.Florida covid case and death numbers well above average over the course of the pandemic.

Quote from your article below

However, while Florida is experiencing low case rates now, it is the joint seventh-worst-affected state in regard to overall death rates per 100,000 people throughout the COVID pandemic as a whole, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data as of November 30.

Similarly, it has reported the 15-highest COVID case rate per 100,000 people throughout the pandemic as a whole, the CDC data also showed.

Not a Dupe, but happy to Troll those who post B.S. You said that you searched, but we both know that was B.S. You just regurgitated some liberal talking points, designed to make the Governor look bad. Fact is, he avoided shutting down the economy, avoided invoking mask or vaccine mandates and stood up for people's rights and freedoms. And his numbers were similar or better to those states that did the opposite. That was my point. The Governor is NOT anti-vax. He's just anti-mandate. And instead of following Progressive bullshit, he didn't distribute vaccines by the color of skin. He realized that Florida has a huge elderly population and vaccinated those in nursing homes and other elderly and those that are immonu-compromised first. In other words he actually followed the science. And remember when CNN blasted him for letting the beached open? It turns out that outside is the best place to be. Hmmm.

Oh and I'm not a Republican. I will support those who are doing a good job, whatever their political party.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

There's 1-2 month valley before winter in Florida numbers after a huge peak in the summer/fall. During their peak they're the worst and during winter/spring they're roughly average. They also may or may not still cook their numbers.

All around this is the worst time to get any accurate numbers from US. 7-day rolling average works with most 1st world countries that don't fax their numbers and have functional automated national databases. US is not one of those countries. You would do better with 14 day batches for averages and direction.
    You mean like Cuomo did in NY?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

5 weeks since my Moderna Booster. Left arm still not 100%.

Comments

JACKDANIELS: yikes

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Mask season started back up today in NYS.

Load Metric
    unless you have spent the past 2 years living off grid in a bunker (tine) or hiding in your house (todd) you will have been exposed to the virus so often that your body should have had at least some practice fighting this thing now.

if you are old or vulnerable then by all means keep getting your booster and wearing your mask but the vast majority of people who havent been hiding for the past 2 years can go take a big gulp of covid filled air and not even have any symptoms
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Thread Information