Thread: RIP Jim Simons

Load Metric

RIP Jim Simons

fucking legend of legends.

Comments

Sanlmar: +1

garrett: Dipchit rep
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    "I did a lot of math. I made a lot of money, and I gave almost all of it away. That's the story of my life."

Comments

Tellafriend:

Load Metric
    https://twitter.com/mprkhrst/status/1789011467351490938

> independently discover a Zeno's paradox at age 3
    > MIT at 17, grad level math in 1st year
    > graduate in 3 years
    > drive motor scooters from Boston to Bogotá with the boys
    > start a company in Colombia
    > start code breaking with the IDA for money
    > solve minimal varieties in riemannian manifolds
    > speak out against Vietnam War, get fired from IDA
    > take over math dept. at Stonybrook, make it a top-ranked program globally
    > develop Churn-Simons theory, accidentally contribute more to physics than most physicists
    > get bored with math, start modeling financial markets
    > return 60% for 4 decades straight
    > establish one of the most effective philanthropic organizations of all time
    > chain smoke cigarettes the entire time

Load Metric
    Simons didn’t wear socks - claims he only later learned neither did Einstein.

Simons lead a full life pursuing exactly what pleased him. Not a dick.

You might enjoy this. Book came out 3 months ago. There are a couple interviews out there on YouTube relative to his story.

Stevenson was fully aware of Liars Poker.

Not only liars poker but again with a card game serving as an aptitude test at Citibank just as we recently read SBF experienced at Jane Street.

Name:  IMG_9131.jpeg
Views: 92
Size:  1.09 MB

Load Metric
    ive heard a lot of comments to the effect that very little SBF said about jane street was true and lewis (deliberately?) did exactly fuckall to fact check it. that book is such a monumental disappointment, perhaps most of all because it confirmed the long standing accusation that lewis never really knew wtf he was talking about in any of his books.

that said ill roll the dice on this i expect because at the end of the day im a bit of a completionist.

Load Metric
    When I first glanced at the thread I thought this was about the guitarist for KISS. How is that guy still alive anyway?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    ive heard a lot of comments to the effect that very little SBF said about jane street was true and lewis (deliberately?) did exactly fuckall to fact check it. that book is such a monumental disappointment, perhaps most of all because it confirmed the long standing accusation that lewis never really knew wtf he was talking about in any of his books.

that said ill roll the dice on this i expect because at the end of the day im a bit of a completionist.
    So you want to Complete everything or think you need too I see..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    When I first glanced at the thread I thought this was about the guitarist for KISS. How is that guy still alive anyway?

dude every single member of led zeppelin who was alive in 1981 is still alive now. crazy how that shit works.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

dude every single member of led zeppelin who was alive in 1981 is still alive now. crazy how that shit works.
    Agreed, Amazing Led Zeppelin is still around, same with the Rolling Stones. But the Beatles have had some early deaths, and people forget the lead singer of ACDC perished in his 20s. Always funny listening to Angus Young describe the original lead with ACDC. Says he would tell a story on a couch, and half way through he would pass out drunk for like 3 hours, then wake up and continue his story mid sentence.

Thread Information