Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who here was a 10,000 maniacs fan in high school?

Load Metric

who here was a 10,000 maniacs fan in high school?

dating myself here, but stumbled upon this and was brought back in time.

Load Metric
    Not me.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Always liked this song better

Platinum
    Load Metric
    My buddy had a huge crush on Natalie Merchant for some reason.

He ended up fucking a girl that sorta looked like her and she dumped him so he smashed the tape…haha.

Load Metric
    I really liked her. Saw them multiple times back then. Thought she was a truly excellent songwriter in addition to having a world class voice.

Kind of a weird band in that she was clearly the star who wrote everything, was attractive, and had that voice. Her band looked like some dudes from the bowling alley, yet they must have contributed something, even if it was just reining her in a bit. I found each of her successive solo albums worse than the last.

I mean she was always a liberal girl, but she’s been living up in tine country in the Hudson valley for decades now, and I just caught her in Cleveland on 5/13(had to check phone videos for date), and while her voice was still perfect and I enjoyed it, it like if felt like I was out of place at some feminist gathering.

Sang like 2 songs from her early solo career that I was familiar with, and then song after song about women’s issues. Very weird in that she was as talented vocally as ever, but I only found it enjoyable in a nostalgic sense. She used to write really good songs. Now she writes songs about feminist fairies. I kid you not. She was explaining her process in writing the song and I was like wtf is this?

My girlfriend is young enough where she missed that whole era of 10000 maniacs, doubt she would have liked it anyway being a country girl and it catered to a particular brand of college student of that era. She came away saying wow she can really sing, but kind of shocked I liked her so much at one time. I guess you had to be there .

This era of Natalie was something. I remember seeing her and Stipe do this Prine song and feeling bad for him trying to sing with her with that voice. I recall having a conversation about her I think with bottomset like 15 years ago iirc. I think he liked 10000 maniacs also, or I’m confusing who it was.

Comments

Tellafriend: great post

Sanlmar: You are so good in these spots

Load Metric
    2000 Maniacs was better.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I really liked her. Saw them multiple times back then. Thought she was a truly excellent songwriter in addition to having a world class voice.

Kind of a weird band in that she was clearly the star who wrote everything, was attractive, and had that voice. Her band looked like some dudes from the bowling alley, yet they must have contributed something, even if it was just reining her in a bit. I found each of her successive solo albums worse than the last.

I mean she was always a liberal girl, but she’s been living up in tine country in the Hudson valley for decades now, and I just caught her in Cleveland on 5/13(had to check phone videos for date), and while her voice was still perfect and I enjoyed it, it like if felt like I was out of place at some feminist gathering.

Sang like 2 songs from her early solo career that I was familiar with, and then song after song about women’s issues. Very weird in that she was as talented vocally as ever, but I only found it enjoyable in a nostalgic sense. She used to write really good songs. Now she writes songs about feminist fairies. I kid you not. She was explaining her process in writing the song and I was like wtf is this?

My girlfriend is young enough where she missed that whole era of 10000 maniacs, doubt she would have liked it anyway being a country girl and it catered to a particular brand of college student of that era. She came away saying wow she can really sing, but kind of shocked I liked her so much at one time. I guess you had to be there .

This era of Natalie was something. I remember seeing her and Stipe do this Prine song and feeling bad for him trying to sing with her with that voice. I recall having a conversation about her I think with bottomset like 15 years ago iirc. I think he liked 10000 maniacs also, or I’m confusing who it was.

cool. you are spot on here with your evaluation. well said. my younger wife doesn't understand either. her voice is truly remarkable and that is enough. the last album i paid for was tigerlilly if that tells you anything. i am enjoying finding these old concerts on yt, they really bring me back to that time in my life. i used to fall asleep to our time in eden for years. god what a voice...

Comments

Sanlmar: haven’t heard her voice or early REM in countless years. Time tripping

Load Metric
    Brief moment in time I liked Natalie Merchant's solo career. Carnival was a good song. Then I listened to Kind and Generous on the radio. Thought it was uplifting. Finally saw her video on Kind and Generous a couple years later, and it became clear she was a left wing nut and never listened to her again.

Load Metric
    If you were in college in the mid-80s, and not socially inept, you listened to: Crowded House; 10,000 Maniacs; REM; Los Lobos; and The Smiths. Merchant’s vocals on In My Tribe are fantastic.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy
    explain.

Load Metric
    no it was just explained to you

Comments

nunbeater: technically the truth, which is the best kind of truth

Load Metric
    no it was just explained to you

thanks for the clarity, gare.

now get back into your lane -- the arby's thread.

Load Metric
    baby we have multiple lanes dont get defensive cuz your gay

Comments

OK2: Singing voice envy

Load Metric
    embrace it dont run from it you like coffee shop radio sirius channel 16 is ok you are a homosexual thats like the least worst thing about you

Load Metric
    embrace it dont run from it you like coffee shop radio sirius channel 16 is ok you are a homosexual thats like the least worst thing about you

says the gaydar from the guy with the rabbit avatar.

it's ok to acknowledge you weren't one of the cool kids.

hint - we already know.

Load Metric
    daaaaaaaang dont do me like that brother

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    If you were in college in the mid-80s, and not socially inept, you listened to: Crowded House; 10,000 Maniacs; REM; Los Lobos; and The Smiths. Merchant’s vocals on In My Tribe are fantastic.

why am I not surprised your taste in music sucks ass

Comments

VaughnP: Yep. This guy must have went to college in Canada.

Load Metric
    dig her dance moves at 3:23

Thread Information