Page 11 of 946 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: So coronavirus is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bro I get 100% off in the cafeteria at Commerce

Sometimes even free giant plates of food isn't enough to get me there

Comments

OSA: ok bro take it ease

Load Metric

the WHO and the S&P 500 say its a nothingburger so..
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Bro I get 100% off in the cafeteria at Commerce

Sometimes even free giant plates of food isn't enough to get me there

oooooo....no cap?

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric
    i wear my washable mask w/disposable filters.let the folks laugh. IMO a good time to Get some discounted CCL(Carn CruiseLine)...
    Last edited by shoeshine box; 01-30-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think I know the first high ranking official to contract this disease.

Name:  88D52E2F-7121-42FB-A3E3-2A9CE3438169.jpeg
Views: 765
Size:  52.9 KB

The pointing is the icing on the cake

Load Metric
    Texting while driving kills 6,000 annually in the U.S.

Hippos kill 2,900 people annually in Africa

Autoerotic Asphyxiation Kills 600 people annually

Falling out of bed kills 450 people annually in the U.S.

Icicles kill 100 people per year in Russia

Jellyfish kill 20-40 people per year in the Philippines alone

Dogs kill 34 people per year in the U.S.

Vending machines kill 13 people per year

Roller Coasters kill 4 people per year

Sars part 2 - 200

Load Metric
    thats what this thread is about:

SAVING LIVES

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Uh ya were gonna need one of you nerds to get us a montage of Russian icicle deaths set to wacky music asap

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    thats what this thread is about:

SAVING LIVES
    We all do our part. At this moment I don’t doubt Tgull is neck deep in a vat of bat guano in central wuhan just to give the WHO a blueprint of how a perfect immune system reacts to this virus

Load Metric
    Market hours: don’t worry coronavirus isn’t so bad, China is exceptional

Markets closed: don’t travel to China

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Market hours: don’t worry coronavirus isn’t so bad, China is exceptional

Markets closed: don’t travel to China
    You might be the oldest guy at your local young republicans chapter, but when you’re getting pissed at the WHO for interfering with your investments, it feels like it might be time for Druff to loan you a red tie

Comments

sonatine: absolutely furious

Load Metric
    Folks! Folks! Folks! This coronavirus could end up solving a huge problem facing the US, mainly the ballooning expected federal expenditures for Social Security and Medicare for the elderly. Just think of it this way: Those folks are way more likely to already have have compromised immune systems, so if the coronavirus spreads rapidly enough in the US to infect all of those folks, the short-term bump in healthcare costs to treat those who get infected would likely he saved 10 times over in futures savings on those federal “entitlements” programs.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Honestly one of the reasons these anti smoking campaigns are so backwards we fucking need people dying at 75 not limping their way into 87 and costing us billions

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Texting while driving kills 6,000 annually in the U.S.

Hippos kill 2,900 people annually in Africa

Autoerotic Asphyxiation Kills 600 people annually

Falling out of bed kills 450 people annually in the U.S.

Icicles kill 100 people per year in Russia

Jellyfish kill 20-40 people per year in the Philippines alone

Dogs kill 34 people per year in the U.S.

Vending machines kill 13 people per year

Roller Coasters kill 4 people per year

Sars part 2 - 200
    Nobody's saying it's a catastrophe /right now/. It's about, what will become of this virus given the trajectory. Also, things like texting while driving actually are very dangerous that should concern people and should be talked about more. Hippos are one of the most dangerous animals on the planet, and should also concern people who live near them.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I know this is a big massive shock to the outside world but...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g...virus-response

You Can Now Go to Jail in China for Criticizing Beijing’s Coronavirus Response

Chinese authorities are cracking down on negative media coverage and social media commentary about the coronavirus outbreak, threatening anyone who breaches their rules with up to seven years in jail.

On Wednesday the government authorities issued an order for an article that looked at the possible negative impact of the outbreak on China’s economy to be scrubbed from the internet.

The article, published by state-owned weekly news magazine Sanlian Life Week, considered what might happen to the Chinese economy if the World Health Organization declares the Wuhan coronavirus to be a “global health emergency.”

The alert, leaked to California-based monitoring group China Digital Times, is just the latest effort by Beijing to censor criticism of the outbreak.

Beijing is eager to avoid a repeat of what happened during its 2003 SARS crisis, when it was heavily criticized for its delayed reaction to the outbreak and its effort to hide its true scale.

Globally, its efforts seem to be working.

On Wednesday, the World Health Organization was effusive in its praise of the Chinese government’s response to the coronavirus outbreak, but inside the country, the government is working overtime to make sure any shortcomings in its response don’t come to light.

These efforts include arresting dozens of social media users who spread “false information without verification.” One of those arrested turned out to be a doctor on the front line of the fights to contain the virus who shared information about the unknown illness with a private WeChat group. The doctor, who was forced to sign a document saying he would abide by the law, has since been infected with the coronavirus and remains in a critical condition.

This week, police in the port city of Tianjin detained a man for 10 days for “maliciously publishing aggressive, insulting speech against medical personnel” after he criticized the response to the outbreak in a WeChat group he shared with his friends.

China’s huge online censorship system, known as the Great Firewall, is also censoring any information the government deems to be “rumor.”

Examples of this include posts by families of infected people seeking help, by people living in quarantined cities documenting their daily life, and by those criticizing the government’s handling of the crisis.

In a bid to make sure people don’t even try and spread such “rumors” on Chinese social media, the government announced this week that anyone who tries to "disrupt social order" by posting on social media information from sources other than state-run media, will face between three and seven years in jail.

Critics of the government’s efforts to stifle online discussion and sharing of information say these actions threaten basic human rights.

“The coronavirus outbreak requires a swift and comprehensive response that respects human rights,” Yaqiu Wang, a China researcher with Human Rights Watch, said in a statement. “Authorities should recognize that censorship only fuels public distrust, and instead encourage civil society engagement and media reporting on this public health crisis.”

In a bid to counteract any negative commentary about the government’s response to the outbreak, state-backed media outlets have been producing gushing reports about Beijing’s efforts to address the crisis.

These include numerous videos of the new hospital being built in Wuhan, all set to stirring background music.

These efforts also include sharing fake images of the new hospital.

The images, which actually show a modular apartment building more than 600 miles away in Qingdao, were posted by the verified Twitter accounts of the Global Times and the People’s Daily, both state-run publications, in an apparent bid to show the hospital construction as more advanced than it really was.

The image was also shared by the Twitter account of Lijian Zhao, the deputy director-general of the information department in the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Cover: Police officers wear masks in Beijing, China on Jan. 29,2020. The spread of pneumonia caused by new type of coronavirus confirmed in the Hubei Province city is still spreading.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Update as of Friday January 31st 1:54 CST:

Confirmed cases - 9,776 (9,658 of the cases are from mainland China)

Total Deaths - 213 (all 213 deaths are supposedly from within China)

Source: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Load Metric
    I'm just waiting for Zod to announce the "Corona w/Lyme" Spring Invitational on here.

Load Metric
    Coronavirus arrives in Russia. Amazing how long it took considering the length of the border.

Load Metric
    I am ever the optimist, so here:

Zhong Nanshan, the top infectious disease scientist who fought SARS, says the wave of 2019-nCoVinfections of will slow in early February:

Name:  WU.png
Views: 1009
Size:  3.72 MB

on the 29th of January:

“I estimate that it will reach its peak in around the next week or 10 days, after that there will be no more major increases,” said Zhong Nanshan, the respiratory disease scientist who played the pivotal role in China’s fight against the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) coronavirus epidemic in 2002-03.

If this is true, the world will have dodged a big bullet. But on a more local scale, Mumbles will be able to say he's the first one who predicted (using his Google sleuthing skills, certainly) that this might not be so bad and would need to be given kudos. I am not sure PFA will survive such a realization.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Been preaching the Gospel of the Google Machine here for four years, and it finally gets some positive recognize. Praise be to Google!

Load Metric
    Also, I am not seeing any sign here of parabolic phenomena:

Name:  Wu2.png
Views: 718
Size:  37.3 KB

In any event, what the Chinese SARS scientist dude said was he thinks in "a week to 10 days" we could see a downturn in the growth rate of total cases identified and just using my eyes and that graph, that has already happened a few days ago --- the growth rate is steady, not really growing. Hopefully the next trend is down, but I'm not that optimistic.

Maybe the graph is like that because hospitals can't cope with and identify new patients, maybe it's government suppression of true cases, or maybe it's because people have literally barricaded themselves in tiny rooms now that this is their new living reality (thus cannot be identified likely but more importantly cannot really spread this hell either).

We shall see, but if I were a betting man, Mumble's futures just went up...

Thread Information