Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting away from Mumbles

Load Metric

Getting away from Mumbles

so we're clear im honestly considering starting another forum just so i can interact with other people who arent mumbles.

i dont want there to be any 'oh my god how could he do this to the community' nonsense when it happens druff because youve been warned for literal years that a lot of us are exhausted from ignoring his vandalism.

Comments

blake: finally

MumblesBadly: We’re all still waiting for Bitcoin to go Donkdown.

GrenadaRoger: will you take Les & LOL WOW with you?

SPIT this: I'm here for it

Tellafriend: if you include les and bgc I'll throw in $100 towards start up costs

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: I disagree
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    so we're clear im honestly considering starting another forum just so i can interact with other people who arent mumbles.

i dont want there to be any 'oh my god how could he do this to the community' nonsense when it happens druff because youve been warned for literal years that a lot of us are exhausted from ignoring his vandalism.
    Hasn't that been tried before?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

thats really not the point. its not about competition or hits, its about increasing the quality of discourse in a community. druff either doesnt recognize the issue or doesnt consider it worth compromising his agenda to address. and thats his right. but a lot of us, and i mean a fucking lot of us, are reaching a tipping point where its not worth it. im tired of avoiding threads because the last 2 pages are mumbles being an idiot only to guarantee people give him the attention he didnt get from his parents. id rather start a new forum and prune out the toxic parties.

least of all because im absolutely fascinated by finance/markets right now and providing an incubation chamber for that narrative sounds fucking great frankly.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Incubation chamber or echo chamber?

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    great job sal youve got this white n-word fascinated about things now LITERALLY THE LAST THING WE NEEDED THIS MONTH

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    great job sal youve got this white n-word fascinated about things now LITERALLY THE LAST THING WE NEEDED THIS MONTH

watching it happen in real time is going to be some clutch laughs tho.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    R

thats really not the point. its not about competition or hits, its about increasing the quality of discourse in a community. druff either doesnt recognize the issue or doesnt consider it worth compromising his agenda to address. and thats his right. but a lot of us, and i mean a fucking lot of us, are reaching a tipping point where its not worth it. im tired of avoiding threads because the last 2 pages are mumbles being an idiot only to guarantee people give him the attention he didnt get from his parents. id rather start a new forum and prune out the toxic parties.

least of all because im absolutely fascinated by finance/markets right now and providing an incubation chamber for that narrative sounds fucking great frankly.
    You can’t deny Mumbles can bring an intelligent take to a topics whereas we have to put up with hit and run mouth breathing snipes from Dwai, Duh24 among others.

And like “forums of friends” that have been tried before they quickly become a community of backslappers

Load Metric
    R

You can’t deny Mumbles can bring an intelligent take to a topics whereas we have to put up with hit and run mouth breathing snipes from Dwai, Duh24 among others.

And like “forums of friends” that have been tried before they quickly become a community of backslappers

im not shopping for opinions or permission.

i just dont want any clutched pearls when it happens.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    R

im not shopping for opinions or permission.

i just dont want any clutched pearls when it happens.
    Opinions are the heart of any forum, and a select group produces fewer of them

but hey gahead

Load Metric
    can both of you crackers pipe down

Load Metric

Pfa 2.0 by Zap totally crushed PFA until Todd paid him off

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: true

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Every so often this Mumbles thing comes up. My feeling about it now is approximately the same as it was in the FlyPaper thread which was recently bumped.

No, I'm not banning him.

Yes, I do think he could try harder to fit in here, and seems to somewhat enjoy aggravating people by being this annoying forum character.

No, I don't think it's a good idea for someone here to start a spinoff forum, simply because it will fragment the community even further. Also, nobody new will find the spinoff forum. We get new traffic through this place because of the radio show and my status as a J-list poker player (and yes, that J stands for Jew). A spinoff community will be the same 10 people over and over, with literally zero new traffic. You guys already have that at Skatz. You don't need another one.

Forums are dying anyway. Look what has happened to 2+2's NVG. Look at what has happened to most other forums. This place has actually held traffic fairly well given that forums have been uncool for almost a decade. The action is now on social media and Reddit now. Sad but true.

You won't agree with every decision I make. That's a given. I have tried to run this community with respect to its NWP history, and respect to the longtime core members, while at the same time taking a mostly hands-off approach with banning and restricting. I have resisted monetizing the place, and have allowed a free speech atmosphere, even though it sometimes causes me headaches when I see other poker players in person and they hassle me about the type of content I allow.

The good thing about Mumbles is that he doesn't troll. You can safely block him if you don't want to see him, and you won't miss much conversation-wise. It's not like you'll have to worry about him bashing you and you won't be able to respond. If he really irritates you that much, just block him.

The spinoff thing has been tried many times. It has never worked long term. New traffic is essential for forums like these, unless you really just want a place to gab with 5 of your friends back and forth.

I can't stop anyone from starting another forum. But I can tell you it's not a good idea. If you want to ruin what remains of this community, by all means do it.

In the meantime, I will be constantly monitoring the situation, and will hand out post restrictions if anyone (including Mumbles) seems to be seriously disrupting things.

And to Mumbles, we saw you could post a lot more normally as FlyPaper. I still don't understand why you can't assume that role instead of whatever you're doing here. While I'm not banning or restricting you now, I can understand why everyone is so irritated with you, and I do have to wonder if you're doing a lot of this on purpose.

Comments

sonatine: reasonable

GambleBotsChafedPenis: J-List Poker Star Rep

unchainedghost: The Carter 4.2

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Every so often this Mumbles thing comes up. My feeling about it now is approximately the same as it was in the FlyPaper thread which was recently bumped.

No, I'm not banning him.

Yes, I do think he could try harder to fit in here, and seems to somewhat enjoy aggravating people by being this annoying forum character.

No, I don't think it's a good idea for someone here to start a spinoff forum, simply because it will fragment the community even further. Also, nobody new will find the spinoff forum. We get new traffic through this place because of the radio show and my status as a J-list poker player (and yes, that J stands for Jew). A spinoff community will be the same 10 people over and over, with literally zero new traffic. You guys already have that at Skatz. You don't need another one.

Forums are dying anyway. Look what has happened to 2+2's NVG. Look at what has happened to most other forums. This place has actually held traffic fairly well given that forums have been uncool for almost a decade. The action is now on social media and Reddit now. Sad but true.

You won't agree with every decision I make. That's a given. I have tried to run this community with respect to its NWP history, and respect to the longtime core members, while at the same time taking a mostly hands-off approach with banning and restricting. I have resisted monetizing the place, and have allowed a free speech atmosphere, even though it sometimes causes me headaches when I see other poker players in person and they hassle me about the type of content I allow.

The good thing about Mumbles is that he doesn't troll. You can safely block him if you don't want to see him, and you won't miss much conversation-wise. It's not like you'll have to worry about him bashing you and you won't be able to respond. If he really irritates you that much, just block him.

The spinoff thing has been tried many times. It has never worked long term. New traffic is essential for forums like these, unless you really just want a place to gab with 5 of your friends back and forth.

I can't stop anyone from starting another forum. But I can tell you it's not a good idea. If you want to ruin what remains of this community, by all means do it.

In the meantime, I will be constantly monitoring the situation, and will hand out post restrictions if anyone (including Mumbles) seems to be seriously disrupting things.

And to Mumbles, we saw you could post a lot more normally as FlyPaper. I still don't understand why you can't assume that role instead of whatever you're doing here. While I'm not banning or restricting you now, I can understand why everyone is so irritated with you, and I do have to wonder if you're doing a lot of this on purpose.
    Re sonatine starting a new forum so he can exclude me: As a compromise, Druff, perhaps you can soft ban me from a new forum thread for Sonatine and the 9 or so other NWP living fossils to romp around to discuss various topics amongst themselves. Just warn them to not blame me in the future when some financial market that Sonatine crows about soon going Donkdown does the exact opposite for years on end.

Re why I don’t try harder to “fit in”: Good sir, I am not intentionally trying to take opposing positions on subjects. I just happen to at times have different opinions about a number of topics with some of the veteran forum members and am not shy about sharing them.

Some of those vets no doubt got butt-hurt over my challenging them on their published opinions on some topics and have been gunning for me ever since. To them, I say, grow the fuck up. Everyone makes cognitive bias-driven mistakes, especially really smart folks who have professional accomplishments that reinforce their opinion of their superior cognitive abilities versus most others.

Heck! I’m going to use discussing this issue of cognitive bias to come clean on something that has been bothering me for a few days, and for which I’m disappointed to have to accept: I was wrong about Elizabeth Warren. She is definitely a lot shadier and self-serving than I’ve been publicly arguing in this forum. I won’t clog this particular thread up with more details on that matter. I just wanted to use this opportunity to admit this example of a huge cognitive bias on my part on a stance that I was passionately defending in this forum. And which is quite embarrassing to admit.

Name:  582B99C7-2F8D-4724-B781-0E7FA0F969B0.png
Views: 323
Size:  990.2 KB

But there it is. We’re all human. We make mistakes. Now, get over yourselves and carry on with the free exchange of ideas, which is what this forum is all about.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Mumbles just switch over to FlyPaper and we are all good.

Load Metric
    it's not just mumbles being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, it's his horrifying (and unfortunately, relentless) attempts at humor.

case in point

Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Barron could end up being extremely tall mainly because of 5'11" Melania. Trump being 6'2" (or at least 6'2" before perhaps losing some height due to old age) also contributes.

Most super tall people have tall but not super tall parents.

However, it's also possible that Barron (who is almost 14) might be almost done growing. While the average boy stops growing at 17, some stop earlier. A kid in my 6th grade class was 6 feet tall. By the time we both graduated high school, we were the same height. He stopped very early, and I caught up by growing until 18 1/2.

Anyway in that pic he looks about 6'6", but it also might be misleading because he's the closest one in the photo.

There's also some speculation that Barron is autistic, or is at least on the spectrum. It has been found that there's a much higher autism risk for kids with older fathers, and Trump was 58 when he was born.
    Perhaps Barron secretly is the love child of a famous former NBA superstar.

Name:  
Views: 
Size:

mumbles, i need you to explain how you thought this post is funny. like, walk me through it.

Load Metric
    in as much mumbles rarely if ever says anything to make a point, just to illicit a response / harvest negative attention, he is arguably the single biggest troll on this site. his 'jokes' are the single worst example of that dynamic. mumbles has no filter because he dOeSnT CaRe AbOuT PeOPlEs opInIOnS he just wants them to acknowledge he exists.

which is predatory and incredibly unsavory. and i think todd doesnt recognize it for what it is because it just registers for him as another contrarian perspective. he considers the entire spectrum of opinions on mumbles side of the political fence to be extremely stupid to begin with, so he doesnt see that mumbles content is several orders of magnitude more retarded than people who know how to contribute politely to his community; i think its all kind of noise to him.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    this forum would be way less interesting without MumblesBadly.

Load Metric
    What if Mumbles is a comedy genius?

What if the fact they are not obviously funny is what makes them funny?

What if Mumbles is Jerry Seinfeld?

What if?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    it's not just mumbles being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, it's his horrifying (and unfortunately, relentless) attempts at humor.

case in point

Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Perhaps Barron secretly is the love child of a famous former NBA superstar.

Name:  
Views: 
Size:

mumbles, i need you to explain how you thought this post is funny. like, walk me through it.
    Nobody cares that you don't find him funny. It's actually a really weird thing to complain about since you just admitted that the example you provided made you THINK.

Nobody cares that I don't find him all that funny.

I used to feel the same way about 408Mike. I didn't get it but other seemed to think he was some kinda genius poster. Nobody fucking cares.

I could make post after post saying I don't find the skatz crowd with their inside jokes(see, I don't like to have to think either) & them generally fellating each other all that appealing either. Most posters put up with it because there are some golden nuggets in there too.

I'm not saying I "get him" either but he is far from the worst poster on this site & doesn't deserve universal hate & multiple bash threads because 10 guys in the middle of a circle jerk don't like his style.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Calling out the “fellating esch other” gsng rep

blake: terrible
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    druff created this thread, not me.

i just chimed into an ongoing subthread that i was probably going to create a mumbles proof social area because its unpleasant and exhausting to constantly have to ignore him, and i didnt want to hear any shit about spin-offs or fracturing the community.

druff removed that narrative and made it a new thread.

Comments

Hockey Guy: I was unaware of that.

Load Metric
    Tine ur basically mumbles get over urself

Comments

MumblesBadly: Are you saying that what he hates about me he actually hates about himself?

Thread Information