Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Astros Sign Stealing

Load Metric
    I completely underestimated the stupidity

When you rob a bank you need to have an escape plan

The home road splits for the midget are stupifying

How did the Astros think this would remain quiet? Players move

The worst part is the sympathy the dumb Dodgers are getting. Sad day for baseball when that happens

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:

https://www.getmoresports.com/astros-news-possible-picture-jose-altuves-jersey-buzzer/

edit: That tweet, which has since been deleted, is supposedly from Carlos Beltran's niece according to the article I linked.
    I mentioned the tweet was supposedly from Beltran's niece which I assumed was false. Gary Sheffield Jr. has now stated unequivocally that is from a burner account of a player in the know.

https://twitter.com/GarysheffieldJr/status/1217893662652133376
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    absolute joke that the astros didn't have their title stripped

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I completely underestimated the stupidity

When you rob a bank you need to have an escape plan

The home road splits for the midget are stupifying

How did the Astros think this would remain quiet? Players move

The worst part is the sympathy the dumb Dodgers are getting. Sad day for baseball when that happens
    2017 & 2018 Altuve's OPS for away games was greater by .150 or more than for home games
    2019 the home games he had an .146 OPS greater than for away games

that per statistics at
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=b#all_plato

the Astros home park is considered one that suppresses offense fairly significantly compared to other major league parks

so it seems like Altuve cheated in 2019, other years maybe not

you mention keeping it a secret? well, its happened before...the 1951 Giants cheated for two months by stationing coach Herman Franks in the Polo Grounds centerfield clubhouse with a telescope to steal signs...he had a wired buzzer to relay pitch calls to the bullpen (located in foul territory in those days) and from there the pitch call was signaled to the batter. That secret was kept for over 50 years even though it several players and an electrician were in on the scheme. The Giants were 13 games back when the cheating started--they tied the Dodgers on the last day of the season, and won the pennant in a playoff

Comments

ftpjesus: Shot heard around the world was a con job rep
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 01-16-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

You can't give it to the Dodgers because there were two other teams they played in the postseason who could have theoretically won the title.

But they shouldn't be able to keep the title. There should be no title at all.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:

https://www.getmoresports.com/astros-news-possible-picture-jose-altuves-jersey-buzzer/

edit: That tweet, which has since been deleted, is supposedly from Carlos Beltran's niece according to the article I linked.
    In before big dick blames the Jews because Bregman was involved

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

You can't give it to the Dodgers because there were two other teams they played in the postseason who could have theoretically won the title.

But they shouldn't be able to keep the title. There should be no title at all.
    Dodgers v Astros was a classic, shame it’s tainted now.

Load Metric
    Obviously the titles cannot be taken away, real black eye for BB.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    Hey, you badmouthed the idea of MLB integrity fees

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    Hey, you badmouthed the idea of MLB integrity fees
    Because the French do it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is getting pretty huge.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/two...ey-during-alcs

It is looking likely that the rumors about the buzzer are true.

This was really an advanced, prolific cheating scheme which likely significantly altered the game.

As much as Clayton Kershaw chokes in the playoffs, there's no question that his splits during that series (6.50 road ERA, 1.23 home ERA) are staggering, even when accounting for the difference in parks.

I really hope more happens as a result of these revelations. They should lose the title. Players involved should receive harsh punishments. Trashcan banging is one thing. Taping buzzers under your clothing? GTFO

Load Metric
    I feel like unless there is incredibly damning evidence they can’t control, MLB will bury the buzzer story, even though I’d bet it’s very likely true. They want to put on this show of being serious, but I have a feeling they’d prefer to not touch that electronic device story. I could be wrong, but that story feels like it would be bad for business on a different level than what has been unearthed so far. They’d have to go Pete Rose on guys in their 20s who’ve made all star teams. Feels like a problem they’d rather avoid

Load Metric

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    This is getting pretty huge.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/two...ey-during-alcs

It is looking likely that the rumors about the buzzer are true.

This was really an advanced, prolific cheating scheme which likely significantly altered the game.

As much as Clayton Kershaw chokes in the playoffs, there's no question that his splits during that series (6.50 road ERA, 1.23 home ERA) are staggering, even when accounting for the difference in parks.

I really hope more happens as a result of these revelations. They should lose the title. Players involved should receive harsh punishments. Trashcan banging is one thing. Taping buzzers under your clothing? GTFO
    Title has to be stripped.

Feels like baseball hoped that they could pin it on the managers but with it coming out that Altuve went the Mike Postle route that's no longer possible.

I feel for you, Dodgers fans and all the teams they rolled through; if Cleveland had beaten the Cubs in 2016 and shit like this came out I would be baying for blood.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I feel like unless there is incredibly damning evidence they can’t control, MLB will bury the buzzer story, even though I’d bet it’s very likely true. They want to put on this show of being serious, but I have a feeling they’d prefer to not touch that electronic device story. I could be wrong, but that story feels like it would be bad for business on a different level than what has been unearthed so far. They’d have to go Pete Rose on guys in their 20s who’ve made all star teams. Feels like a problem they’d rather avoid
    I can't argue with any of this, but this story keeps getting bigger like a snowball rolling down the hill in a cartoon.

The time of year isn't doing them any favors, either. The NBA playoffs are months away, the holidays are done, there's no baseball, and while NFL is nearing Superbowl time, there are just 2 days left of play.

All sports eyes are on this right now, and that will remain the case for awhile, especially as new news comes to light and people get increasingly outraged.

Like, how is baseball going to just move forward and promote guys like Bregman and Altuve without this being properly fleshed out?

It also doesn't help that there's a general belief that the Astros got off way too light, which they did. Perhaps Alex Cora will become the sacrificial lamb and they'll give him a lifetime ban from the game, but I don't think that's enough at this point. People are pissed at a lot more than Cora.

It will be interesting to see what the Red Sox investigation unearthed. That's really awful luck for the Dodgers that, after missing the World Series for 28 consecutive years, they finally make two in a row, and Alex Cora happens to be a key figure on both teams.

There's also the question of how other players will treat Mike Fiers. While the fans hail him a hero, many in baseball believe that he was a traitor by breaking the player code of silence. We shall see.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    ESPN's Jessica Mendoza already bashing Fiers, presumably so other players like and trust her more in the future, and she gets better access to interviews.

What a bunch of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Mendoza
    To go public, it didn't sit well with me. It made me sad for the sport that that's how all this got found out. This wasn't something that MLB naturally investigated or that even other teams complained about it because they naturally heard about and then investigations happen. It came from within. It was a player that was a part of it. That benefitted from it during the regular season when he was a part of that team. ... It's something you don't do. I totally get telling your future teammates, helping them win, letting people know. But to go public with it and call them out, it's hard to swallow.
    Reminds me of the people who criticized going public about the AP/UB scandals because it "would hurt online poker".

Silver
    Load Metric
    Jessica Mendoza is just trying to be one of the good old boys, and is a little late to join the game.

Mike Fiers has been complaining about the Astros for as long as anyone would listen, since the minute he left Houston.

Last year, he got lit up the Astros for 9 runs in a 1 inning disaster of a start. That was his last straw.

Homer Bailey got lit up in Houston too, all during a contested run for the AL West between the A's and Astros.

This shit runs deeper than it seems, and has gone on longer than anyone suspects, until MLB couldnt deny it any longer.

Here I thought the Astros were historically great, and Altuve was a midget god amongst men, even bowing to their greatness when my team won 97 games in the same division

2020 MLB going to have some heels to root against, that is for sure.

Load Metric
    Great plot for a movie.

Load Metric
    After the stuff that came out yesterday I’m embarrassed by my initial hawt take. Much worse than I imagined. I expect more too.

Two minutes in the box for my own bad self

My question to you -
    Is this scandal worse than the NBA Donaghy Scandal and the NBA trying to bury that?

Load Metric

Thread Information