View Poll Results: If you're the manager, how much credit BACK do you give the customer on the $900 purchase?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • $90 (the original offer)

5 27.78%
  • $120

2 11.11%
  • $150

5 27.78%
  • $200

4 22.22%
  • $250

0 0%
  • $300

1 5.56%
  • Don't know or care... just want to see the results

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jew Make the Call: Late Laptop Edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Jew Make the Call: Late Laptop Edition

You receive an e-mail from a large PC company offering various Black Friday deals.

You decide to order a laptop computer for your girlfriend for the holidays, as hers is getting older and she had talked about wanting to buy a new one.

You get a good deal on the computer -- about $900 plus tax (and free shipping), for a computer which normally goes for about $1100-$1200. However, you did not use a coupon or any kind of shenanigans. This $900 deal was open to the general public without any kind of effort involved, beyond ordering it.

You order it on December 2. Delivery is scheduled for December 17, which is well in time for your needs.

December 17 arrives, and no computer comes. You also have received no update as to what is happening, and checking the company website shows it's "still being built".

On December 19, you finally get an e-mail informing you that they oversold (they don't specifically say that, but reading between the lines, that's clearly what happened). The new projected delivery date is December 27 -- clearly after the holidays. You are given the choice of either cancelling the order or getting $50 BACK to your credit card. You ignore the e-mail and plan to call them.

You are very unhappy about this, as you are left empty handed with no gift for your girlfriend for the holidays, and need to sheepishly tell her what happened.

You call the company on December 23 and ask for more than the $50. They offer you $90 (10%) but say that's the maximum. You ask them for more, and they say (probably truthfully) that their department can only offer a maximum of 10% back. They promise a phone call from the escalations team who can authorize more, and tell you the call will "definitely" come within 24-48 hours.

11 days pass, and nobody calls.

The computer arrives on December 30, which was 13 days after the projected date.

You call back on January 3. After a long time on hold, they acknowledge that nobody attempted to call you from escalations as promised. You are given a new promise that escalations will call between 24-48 hours, and that they will "mark it as urgent and follow it up" to ensure a call would actually occur.

Five days pass, and no phone call comes. You call again on January 8. This time you attempt to call the "customer resolutions" number. This time you get a very obnoxious and condescending rep who immediately starts chiding you that you "already got $900 off" and that you "actually don't deserve a further discount". The "$900 off" is referring to a BS "regular price" which nobody actually pays. While you did get a good deal on the computer (in reality about $200-$300 off its normal price), this was the standard price it was being sold on December 2, and you didn't get anything special, nor was it any kind of clearance item.

The rep then makes various ridiculous statements and tells various insulting lies:

1) Everyone else was offered $50 flat, and that you're "the only one of all customers" to be offered that 10% ($90). When you ask for clarification that she really meant you're the only customer in the world to get the 10% offer for the late computer, she again reiterates that it's true, and tells you that you were "lucky".

2) When asked why the escalations team didn't call you, she tells you that your "request wasn't reasonable" (for more than $90), so "that's why you were ignored". When reminding her that both calls were "100% promised" and that the very least they could have done was call and deny the additional money, she replied, "If they think your request isn't reasonable, they're not going to waste time calling you."

3) When you complain that they oversold PCs and caused their own problem with not being able to deliver on time, she sarcastically remarks, "Oh, so you know about our inventory levels? Were you at the meetings?"

4) For the remainder of the call, she consistently reminds you that you "already got $900 off" and "need to feel lucky", and at one point seems to be *giggling* like you're talking to fluffer.

You finally hang up on her and send a complaint e-mail to an address you find on their webpage.

Someone in a lower-middle management role calls you back (the level of employee who was supposed to call you back in the first place), and admits the following:

1) He can see that two escalations calls were promised on 12/23 and 1/3 and never made, due to some error. "We're not sure why, but nobody knew to call you. I do see you were promised both times, and one was marked urgent. I'm sorry about that."

2) The rep lied about you being the "only customer being offered 10%". He says, "That was communicated to the department as something they could give to anyone who was unhappy, and they gave it many times to people." He agreed that she told an outright lie and that it was insulting to even try to tell the customer such a thing.

3) The computer was indeed 13 days late, and you were not notified until two days AFTER expected delivery date.

4) After pulling a recording of the call of the third rep, it's agreed that she was rude and condescending. "For her to tell you that you didn't deserve a call back that you were promised was pretty bad," the manager admits. "And I don't know why she kept giving you a hard time about the good deal you got. That's not an excuse to provide you with a lower level of service or miss delivery."

Given all of the above, what is the appropriate amount to get back on this $900 purchase? Keep in mind that $90 was already offered (and was still on the table), so that will be the minimum choice.

Be aware that the $90 was offered on 12/23, BEFORE all of the customer service fail such as the non-callbacks and the super-rude third rep.

Load Metric
    $90 refund of an already discounted price for being 13 days late seems on the generous side and I'm actually kind of impressed they offered you the option of cancelling the whole thing + $50 cash when it was going to be 10 days late.

I guess I'd end up giving you a little more to just make you go away. $100 might just piss you off so $120.

You're lucky your name isn't Todd Wittelestein or the whole 'I missed christmas' play would get less sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The new projected delivery date is December 27 -- clearly after the holidays. You are given the choice of either cancelling the order or getting $50 BACK to your credit card. You ignore the e-mail and plan to call them.

You are very unhappy about this, as you are left empty handed with no gift for your girlfriend for the holidays, and need to sheepishly tell her what happened.

You call the company on December 23 and ask for more than the $50. They offer you $90 (10%) but say that's the maximum. You ask them for more, and they say (probably truthfully) that their department can only offer a maximum of 10% back. They promise a phone call from the escalations team who can authorize more, and tell you the call will "definitely" come within 24-48 hours.

The computer arrives on December 30, which was 13 days after the projected date.
    Name:  fb96c6cfd63c6d1ac4eafc4f9df9ff63.png
Views: 440
Size:  17.4 KB

I wonder if these managers who spend hours dealing with you ever google you.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: they should

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    $90 refund of an already discounted price for being 13 days late seems on the generous side and I'm actually kind of impressed they offered you the option of cancelling the whole thing + $50 cash when it was going to be 10 days late.

I guess I'd end up giving you a little more to just make you go away. $100 might just piss you off so $120.
    I'm surprised you are taking the "already discounted price" into consideration. That shouldn't matter. I paid the standard price of the computer on December 2. It's not like I had already talked them into some price concession and was looking for more. Since the company sets the price, the customer is not supposed to get inferior service/delivery because they happened to buy the product on a day when it was cheaper.

If you think $90 is a generous discount for the lateness, that's fine, but you shouldn't be influenced by the price I paid. That price was up to them, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan
    You're lucky your name isn't Todd Wittelestein or the whole 'I missed christmas' play would get less sympathy.

The new projected delivery date is December 27 -- clearly after the holidays. You are given the choice of either cancelling the order or getting $50 BACK to your credit card. You ignore the e-mail and plan to call them.

Not sure if you're a Jew, but either way you should know that the 1st day of Chanukah is the day when people give the big presents. You look like an asshole if you give someone no presents for the first 7 days and drop something on the 8th night.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

if I thought a prospective client was like Druff I would say I couldn't meet his needs then refer him to the local competitor I hated

or if i'd misjudged the client and accepted the work, and at the end of a job there was a disagreement over price, I would discount price, collect, and then not accept any more business from them
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 01-10-2020 at 01:09 AM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    I'm surprised you are taking the "already discounted price" into consideration. That shouldn't matter. I paid the standard price of the computer on December 2. It's not like I had already talked them into some price concession and was looking for more. Since the company sets the price, the customer is not supposed to get inferior service/delivery because they happened to buy the product on a day when it was cheaper.

If you think $90 is a generous discount for the lateness, that's fine, but you shouldn't be influenced by the price I paid. That price was up to them, not me.

Not sure if you're a Jew, but either way you should know that the 1st day of Chanukah is the day when people give the big presents. You look like an asshole if you give someone no presents for the first 7 days and drop something on the 8th night.

Actually, true Jews don't give good presents for Chanukah. True Jews give 8 lame gifts, one for each night. By "lame gifts", I mean like a pair of socks, or a bookmark, or a pencil eraser, or a clip-on tie. Yes, I'm still tormented by Chaukah gifts I received in my childhood, while all of the Goyim kids got Atari 2600 consoles and/or cartridges or BMX bikes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Your parents should have given you a good gift on each of the first 2 nights and then progressively crappy gifts as the holiday wore on.

That's the Jew tradition.

Load Metric
    Did they send you to Malasia or India for customer service? Thats what usually happenes to me. They should give you the original deal and throw a 20 dollar coupon or some such coupon.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    You should get $150 and the first born of the rep that was rude to you.

Accept nothing less.

Load Metric
    $90 is sufficient.

If you paid $2000+ for the laptop I would agree you deserve a much more substantial refund.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post

Actually, true Jews don't give good presents for Chanukah. True Jews give 8 lame gifts, one for each night. By "lame gifts", I mean like a pair of socks, or a bookmark, or a pencil eraser, or a clip-on tie. Yes, I'm still tormented by Chaukah gifts I received in my childhood, while all of the Goyim kids got Atari 2600 consoles and/or cartridges or BMX bikes.
    Include amongst the lame gifts a Wintel box instead of an Apple.

I get the suffering and persecution now. They even do it to each other.

Load Metric
    The profit margins on Wintel crap was notoriously thin. If the seller is credible maybe he gives it away at cost.

Maybe the $90 was the profit margin. I imagine it’s close. They are toasters.

That is the knock on Apple. Their margins are known to be 20%. I haven’t deep dived but this is my general understanding.

A used Mac would have been an interesting gift that would have intrigued her and brought holiday joy.

Bill Gates can never do enough penance. There is still DOS inside that box.

Load Metric
    Voted $150; I would need more than $90 back to no longer be pissed off about this.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Silver
    Load Metric
    I know this is the wrong forum/ thread.

I hate arguing on holiday for a discount even when the locals almost demand you haggle.

I will argue at the building supplies firm every day face to face for a discount,

But apart from my bank I haven't spoken on the phone to anyone regarding cash back in 30 years.

Anyway , back to my Nigerian e- mails ....
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    my guess is $90 is the limit one could expect

Druff has already got $50 off, so the company can spend another $40 to hush up Druff or to freight back the product; if I were the company, $90 is the limit or send it back

anyway, hard to pick a side in this one---a poorly run seller vs a customer with a history of being demanding: they deserve each other

(**Warning**what follows in another boring personal story related to this topic)

when I was managing credit for a jewelry manufacturer, we had a fair amount of product at retailers on consignment...the arrangement was we set the retail price and the retailer would get 10% of it as commission...I would get sleazy store owner/operators offering to buy our consigned pieces at half the wholesale price -- I never agreed because it would degrade the prestige of our jewelry line...and I had the company owner's backing on this; and when I would tell him what the retailer said the owner often would say just get all our product back that retailer
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 01-10-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Id get the cpu and tell them nothing was in the box refund me or Im calling my cc up. Then it's free..

Amatuers.

Load Metric
    Druff, what company was this?

Comments

dwai: useless idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    I likely would have cancelled on December 19th when there was still a few days to get another gift.

Load Metric

Really? I always got my biggest present on the last night.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I likely would have cancelled on December 19th when there was still a few days to get another gift.
    I considered this, but I knew she really wanted the computer, so that's the gift I wanted to get her. I could not have bought another custom-built computer delivered in time by that point, so I just let it stand.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    $90 is sufficient.

If you paid $2000+ for the laptop I would agree you deserve a much more substantial refund.
    I'll tell you my thought process here.

$90 (10%) isn't a terrible discount for the lateness itself, I'll agree with you there.

However, I didn't think it was particularly generous, either. My biggest problem was that they marketed this shit as a computer you can buy as a holiday gift (which is exactly what I did), promised a delivery date 8 days before Christmas (and 4 before the first night of Chanukah), and then shit the bed.

Had I believed they just had circumstances beyond their control, I would have been more forgiving. However, these greedy fucks oversold because they couldn't bear to "sell out" when people were still wanting to place orders. So, in the pursuit of additional profits, they intentionally fucked everyone who specifically ordered it for the holidays.

With that, plus the embarrassment of having no gift to give, I felt like I might as well call up and ask for more than $90. Had they offered me $120 on that call, I would have snap-accepted and hung up. If I got the escalations call back and they ultimately stuck to the $90 offer, I would have begrudgingly accepted it and dropped the matter.

The reason I felt I deserved more than $90 by the end was because of all the fail I got put through after that.

Remember, I could have accepted the $90 back on December 23 with little hassle besides a quick phone call and a late computer.

After that, I had TWO escalations calls which never came, including the second one supposedly "marked urgent and followed up". Then I had that third rep who was incredibly rude and kept telling preposterous lies seemingly just to troll me.

When I mentioned to the third rep that I was offered the $90 back on 12/23, and that a ton of time and hassled occurred since then, she remarked, "Maybe you should have just accepted the $90 we offered you back on the 23rd, then we wouldn't have wasted hours of your time."

What a cunt.

For this type of treatment, I felt I was due extra money.

Did I get it? I will reveal it shortly.

To answer a question above, yes I reached a foreign call center. All three reps and the lower-middle manager at the end were based out of the Philippines. I tried to reach someone in the US but failed. I don't think it's possible.

Thread Information