Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My smartphone IS listening to me.....Todd you are WRONG!

Load Metric

My smartphone IS listening to me.....Todd you are WRONG!

Just listened to the podcast from Dec 20th 2019. Todd was talking about the topic of privacy and smartphones etc. He said he thought smartphones are not listening to you and do not serve you up add based on your conversations. I would have agreed up until 2 months. 2 months ago my wife and I were sitting on the couch talking about her car with my phone on the coffee table in front of me about 3 feet away. We were talking about the timing chain on her car might need to be replaced. This is a super random non mainstream topic. 20 mins later I was watching YouTube videos and guess what...... a banner add for timing chain repair came up. Yes it was that specific. My jaw hit the ground and I said Holy Fuck to myself. It was actually kinna creepy.

This is the only time this kind of thing has happened to me. But this can NOT be a coincidence since it was such a specific topic and the add was super specific.

Also note I had never did any Google searches for this topic. And I do not have an Alexa or Google home speaker in my house.

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: Fuckin spooky dude. Only way to describe that.
    Last edited by Matt The Rat; 12-24-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Rat View Post
    Just listened to the podcast from Dec 20th 2019. Todd was talking about the topic of privacy and smartphones etc. He said he thought smartphones are not listening to you and do not serve you up add based on your conversations. I would have agreed up until 2 months. 2 months ago my wife and I were sitting on the couch talking about her car with my phone on the coffee table in front of me about 3 feet away. We were talking about the timing chain on her car might need to be replaced. This is a super random non mainstream topic. 20 mins later I was watching YouTube videos and guess what...... a banner add for timing chain repair came up. Yes it was that specific. My jaw hit the ground and I said Holy Fuck to myself. It was actually kinna creepy.

This is the only time this kind of thing has happened to me. But this can NOT be a coincidence since it was such a specific topic and the add was super specific.
    In Druff's defense, he was just giving his opinion about whether they were listeing...and I personally thought they didn't listen all the time either...

BUT!

According to this now ancient Vice news story (from over a year ago, LOL) the cyber security expert interviewed claims the phone "STILL LISTENS ON THE PHONE ITSELF ONLY" absent trigger words like "Hey Siri" and "Hey Google"...in which case the recording go back to Google.

However the kicker is that these recordings are then available to any program that wants to use them!!! And since the stuff you say goes back to companies who can tailor make a nice little custom ad for you (that they pay Google and Apple handsomely for, I'm sure), it's kinda safe to say the phones are listening to you for all kinds of purposes...

Here's that story:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/w...s-not-paranoia

Comments

Matt The Rat: You always dig up good finds.
    Last edited by Forum Wars; 12-23-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Load Metric
    Druff has long held that large companies are not invading our privacy with technology, but it's becoming very evident now that he was wrong.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    Druff has long held that large companies are not invading our privacy with technology, but it's becoming very evident now that he was wrong.
    Druff is a public figure. He has sacrificed his privacy in the bargain.

Druff also enjoys the benefits of the large data outfits like Facebook. He has enjoyed “social media” from its inception as bbs (bulletin board systems) or even party lines. He couldn’t help it and maybe regrets his circumstance but is unwilling to admit his mistake.

I don’t judge but I filter his views through that prism.

I recollect a brief period where he and khalwat felt militant but that passed like a seasonal allergy.

In the end, I guess I am glad. The forum is the result of his sacrifice. Ironically, it is anonymity that fuels the forum.

I’m being Druff but fair

Load Metric
    I went on a cruise recently. When you got on the ship (left the country) your picture was taken. Facial recognition.

Upon returning to the US no passports were required. You just looked into a camera and were waived through.

An unholy marriage of private enterprise and government. That’s not really my point.

Interestingly, the internet was sketch and the line was held up. I looked at the agent and asked how long the system was in place. He rolled his eyes. I shit you not.

So my young twenty something kid picks us up at the airport and I relate my experience. When he graduated from college he did a stint as a manager for a big box retailer. He remembers it as a brutal hazing. He told me that night that they had facial recognition in place. He never mentioned it before.

Of course they were profiling shoplifters. For now anyway. He hated it because every time someone was identified he was notified and it served to be another pain in his ass. He told me in some towns they shared their system with local law enforcement - they handed over the login. Swell.

For now it’s profiling known shoplifters. Soon they will profile you as a customer. They will serve you based on income etc,

We rallied the topic back and forth particularly cause he didn’t seem bothered by any of it. Finally, he said, “there’s nothing you can do. They are going to know everything about all of us.” That is the surrender of the Gen X & Gen Y.

I’ll keep tilting at windmills

I haven’t listened to the segment yet but I thought I’d ramble. It’s all the same shit.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Are you sure that you or your wife hadn't searched for this at any point (on any device) lately?

I will say that I've never once had this occur involving me, and you'd think I'd have seen it by now, owning smartphones for more than 10 years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    Druff is a public figure. He has sacrificed his privacy in the bargain.

Druff also enjoys the benefits of the large data outfits like Facebook. He has enjoyed “social media” from its inception as bbs (bulletin board systems) or even party lines. He couldn’t help it and maybe regrets his circumstance but is unwilling to admit his mistake.

I don’t judge but I filter his views through that prism.

I recollect a brief period where he and khalwat felt militant but that passed like a seasonal allergy.

In the end, I guess I am glad. The forum is the result of his sacrifice. Ironically, it is anonymity that fuels the forum.

I’m being Druff but fair
    Thanks for being Druff-but-fair, but SPIT this was being sarcastic. He was making light of the fact that I frequently point out that I was suspicious of large corporations severely violating privacy long before it entered the public conscience.

I use Facebook that's where I need to be if I want to interact with a lot of people I knew from the past. It's a monopoly, and I have no other choice, other than to just forego that completely. I also enjoy some of the groups on there, and it was definitely helpful to have discussion groups for the various health issues I was facing last year.

Also, as much as I hate to admit it, if there were never a Facebook, there would be no Benjamin.

Load Metric
    5G will make anonymity and privacy a historical artifact.

The phone concern will rapidly seem quaint. They will listen if they can. It’s simple economics

It is interesting the Trump Administration was volleying the idea of nationalizing the 5G network for several reasons including the cheap Chinese Huawei chips that are ubiquitous in telecom.

Huawei founder’s daughter still being held by Canadian authorities? Lost track of that story.

Your toaster is gonna rat you out. It’s just more data to monetize.

Think about those creepy Nest reports you get comparing your energy usage to your neighbors. Early IOT honey.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 12-24-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Are you sure that you or your wife hadn't searched for this at any point (on any device) lately?

I will say that I've never once had this occur involving me, and you'd think I'd have seen it by now, owning smartphones for more than 10 years.
    I did ask her and neither her or myself did any searching on this topic on our phones, tablets, computers or anything at home or work. She started having problem with her car that day.

Load Metric

The phone concern will rapidly seem quaint. They will listen if they can. It’s simple economics

It is interesting the Trump Administration was volleying the idea of nationalizing the 5G network for several reasons including the cheap Chinese Huawei chips that are ubiquitous in telecom.

Huawei founder’s daughter still being held by Canadian authorities? Lost track of that story.

Think about those creepy Nest reports you get comparing your energy usage to your neighbors. Early IOT honey.

Many countries are going to ban, or are considering banning 5G for many different reason. Just Google it.

Comments

Sanlmar: Fun topic.

Load Metric

I did ask her and neither her or myself did any searching on this topic on our phones, tablets, computers or anything at home or work. She started having problem with her car that day.
    Mr & Mrs Rat have an Android and Druff has an iPhone

Load Metric

Many countries are going to ban, or are considering banning 5G for many different reason. Just DuckDuckGo it.
    FYP

Load Metric

Many countries are going to ban, or are considering banning 5G for many different reason. Just Google it.

according to google, half the bans are focused on huawei chipsets, not 5g, and the other half are empty rumors about 'health concerns'.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Also note I had never did any Google searches for this topic. And I do not have an Alexa or Google home speaker in my house.

Similar things have happened to me. The other day my wife asked me what post I was reading (it was Todd's) A few minutes later, an add for Head and Shoulders appeared on another website I was viewing.

Load Metric

Druff who uses an iPhone and probably doesn’t just tap okay to every request to access, versus Matt who maybe has an iPhone and probably always just presses okay to every request.

I think phones 100% listen when you grant them access.

Load Metric

Mr & Mrs Rat have an Android and Druff has an iPhone
    True.

Load Metric
    for seventeen hundred bucks bitch better be listening.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    was gonna create a separate thread, but think this is apropos for this thread...

think 'tine will enjoy this shit...

fucking scary as shit that orwell wrote his book at the end of the 1940s and it's kinda ringing true today...

Load Metric
    I have to agree, it doesn't just listen it reads minds too!

My girl was being very moody with me all day but I kept my mouth shut. That evening we went to watch a movie on the laptop and up pops a period pad ad.

Coincidence?

Load Metric
    Siri, "Stop Snitching".

Remember, your cellphone is essentially an internet connected computer and camera.

Thread Information