Thread: Steve Hartwell Lead Singer of SmashMouth on DD Warning. Death imminent

Load Metric

Steve Hartwell Lead Singer of SmashMouth on DD Warning. Death imminent

Apparently his years of channeling his inner Leslie with severe alcohol abuse, have caught up to him and hes now got 1-2 weeks left having just entered Hospice. Guess he's going to join Jimmy Buffet's new Heavenly Super Band.

For those that may not remember Smash Mouth (although if ya dont you dont know what your missing). Such hits as Walking on the Sun, Remake of the Monkees Hit Im a Believer, and All-Star.

https://ew.com/music/smash-mouth-sin...liver-failure/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The guy has had a shitload of health issues over the years.

He also had a complete meltdown in 2021:

"If I could suck my own dick, I'd never leave the house!"

Load Metric
    Have news on this morning they reported heart issues lol. Fake news everywhere.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Dude lost his 6 year old Son and could never recover from the emotional spiral it put him in. Poor guy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The guy has had a shitload of health issues over the years.

He also had a complete meltdown in 2021:

"If I could suck my own dick, I'd never leave the house!"

Years ago I went to an Air Supply concert, it was at a venue that sat maybe 500 people, my then GF got free tickets at work. I faintly remembered a couple of their songs so yeah lets go. The main singer was so fucking hammered he could not get the words out and actually fell backwards into the drummer. I wanted to stick around because who does not like a slow moving trainwreck, but we ended up leaving. Several people were at the ticket window demanding a refund.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Air Supply played in a public park during an LA-area 4th of July situation about 20 years ago. I went with my then-girlfriend and saw them, then we watched the fireworks. I wonder how much the city paid them. It was a small area where they played. I forgot how we got seats.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fail View Post
    Dude lost his 6 year old Son and could never recover from the emotional spiral it put him in. Poor guy.
    Yikes, losing a 6 year old Son is beyond harsh.. I didn't know Steve lost his 6 year old Son, no wonder he went off the rails. Usher Raymond lost his young Stepson and was really devastated, I can't imagine losing your 6 year old Son!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fail View Post
    Son was 6 months old.

I never followed them much and admit I kinda laughed at the videos coming out the last few years. Then I found out about the death of his newborn son and it really changed my view of him. Apparently he was a great guy to fans and such when he wasn;t blackout drunk.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...-scott-harwell
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric
    Imo, Smashmouth really sucked. I guess you’d put them in that alternative music genre, but really just a few shitty catchy songs.

Pretty much true in all genres of music whatever you like. If you’re a metal guy, you go from Black Sabbath and Van Halen and by the end you have truly shitty bands like Poison or Skid Row and it’s just horrible.

That alternative scene started out with a Nirvana and Pearl Jam and AIC and Soundgarden and then morphed into that shitty Limp Bizkit, Sugar Ray, Smashmouth era that’s hard to even classify other than bad music.

You had some truly great bands in that 90s era like our Mr Diddleys Black Crowes, but they couldn’t get along or ran into drug issues or whatever. There wasn’t that continuity where they were putting out great music like the previous generations where a Stones or Dylan or CSN were still putting out great stuff 15 years into their career.

I’m not much of a country guy, but I hear the same where purists hate the new artists.

You always have something organic occur, a period of really good artists with similar influences, and by the end, a bunch of shitty knock off artists who kind of end the era.

Surprised guy was that old, but I hadn’t seen him in 20 years. Like he’s 2 years younger than a Slash, but he got famous in his thirties in a completely different world.

That late 90s early 2000s period of music was so bad and gimmicky it ended MTV and pretty much surrendered the whole industry over to a bunch of n-words and white mumble rappers and music is dead outside niche artists.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    And…….. the donk is down. RIP

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    And…….. the donk is down. RIP

Wow. I thought for sure that he had at least another week to live. RIP.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah definitely was the 2001 death of his baby which sent him into an alcoholic spiral, from which he never recovered.

The heavy drinking caused both neurological issues and heart problems, which were diagnosed 10 years ago.

The child died of leukemia at 6 months and was simply unlucky. There was nothing Hartwell could have done to prevent it.

The liver failure which killed him was obviously a result of the drinking.

Smash Mouth was never going to be an enduring band, but Hartwell could have had a very different past two decades had that kid been healthy, and I'm sure he'd still be alive today.

Load Metric
    Air Supply played in a public park during an LA-area 4th of July situation about 20 years ago. I went with my then-girlfriend and saw them, then we watched the fireworks. I wonder how much the city paid them. It was a small area where they played. I forgot how we got seats.
    You must have really liked her. I wouldn’t be caught dead at an Air Supply concert.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    You must have really liked her. I wouldn’t be caught dead at an Air Supply concert.
    It was free.

It was at Warner Park in Woodland Hills.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

It was free.

It was at Warner Park in Woodland Hills.
    So what? They were, and still probably are, the lamest band in the history of pop music. We’ll chalk it up to youthful indiscretion.

Thread Information