Thread: FAO Crowe Diddley, WTF dude?

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric

FAO Crowe Diddley, WTF dude?

The Black Crowes get back together and not a goddam peep from you? I'm outraged!

Will be catching them right down the road from where I live on Sept 4th, good times.

Load Metric
    Didn't you just take your wife to see these guys within the last 3 years in Seattle?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Didn't you just take your wife to see these guys within the last 3 years in Seattle?
    Good memory HG, saw them at the Paramount with the lovely and talented Mrs. Bagadonuts in 2014 on the last tour before they split.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: was probably a great show

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    Good memory HG, saw them at the Paramount with the lovely and talented Mrs. Bagadonuts in 2014 on the last tour before they split.
    Wow, time fucking flies. It doesn't seem that long ago.

I was thinking they didn't even have time to break up, be missed & then get back together but, yeah, 5 years is enough.

Where they playing this time?

Comments

tony bagadonuts: White River Amphitheater outside of Auburn WA
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Sadly, I believe that the Black Crowes have not re-assembled. Not in any legitimate form, anyway.

This is just Chris and Rich grabbing the money in the most joyless way I can think of. There are over 20 non-Robinsons who have been in the Black Crowes, and not a single one was invited to this version. Listen to any of the q&as you can find out there, and these cats already seem like they are going through the motions.

Like, I can see them ripping thru Shake Your Moneymaker and it sounding cool and just like the album with some extra Chrisisms, and then a few more hits after, but what do we really like about the Black Crowes, anyway? Forget about getting attached to anyone but Chris and Rich, there's not gonna be any more MArc Fords or Steve Gormans or Eddie (RIP), or even Adam MacDougall or Luther Dickinson, or Mona Lisa or Charity or any of those backup singers. No more talking before the show about "I hope they play Another Roadside Tragedy", or "they played Paint an 8 last week, maybe we get that tonight?" No, you get exactly what every city will get, SYMM in order, front to back, and the other radio hits. Like a punch clock. Like a corporate rock n' roll band, which is the opposite of what I liked about these guys.

I also just read, right before this tour was announced, Steve Gorman's book, which is not kind to either brother, but absolutely reads like a fair indictment of both of them. Highly recommended, btw. A very fun read. https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Handle-D.../dp/B07MLRFLBC

A few years ago, me and the kunt saw the Magpie Salute at the Wilbur in Boston. Great time before the show, beers and joints outdoors in Boston, walked to the venue, a great venue, band sounded incredible, singer was great, a really, really good band. They were a great Black Crowes cover band with scattered originals, but I decided that day that I didn't want to see any more Black Crowes cover bands, even this one that had Marc Ford, Rich, Sven, we even got Charity I think.

I'm rambling. You get the idea. If the Beach Boys were my all time favorite band, I don't think I'd ever want to see them with Mike love and a handful of other jamokes. Might be different if I never got to see them otherwise, but with the Crowes, other than the first tour, I think I've seen every version they've put out there for the most part, a lot of the greatest shows I've ever been to, over a couple decades. This version ain't that, and I think I'm good with what I've already seen.

prediction: tour gets cut WAY short, and the venues are WAY too big for a band that has driven people away for years.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Cursed diamond shining

Baron Von Strucker: big fan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Sadly, I believe that the Black Crowes have not re-assembled. Not in any legitimate form, anyway.

This is just Chris and Rich grabbing the money in the most joyless way I can think of. There are over 20 non-Robinsons who have been in the Black Crowes, and not a single one was invited to this version. Listen to any of the q&as you can find out there, and these cats already seem like they are going through the motions.

Like, I can see them ripping thru Shake Your Moneymaker and it sounding cool and just like the album with some extra Chrisisms, and then a few more hits after, but what do we really like about the Black Crowes, anyway? Forget about getting attached to anyone but Chris and Rich, there's not gonna be any more MArc Fords or Steve Gormans or Eddie (RIP), or even Adam MacDougall or Luther Dickinson, or Mona Lisa or Charity or any of those backup singers. No more talking before the show about "I hope they play Another Roadside Tragedy", or "they played Paint an 8 last week, maybe we get that tonight?" No, you get exactly what every city will get, SYMM in order, front to back, and the other radio hits. Like a punch clock. Like a corporate rock n' roll band, which is the opposite of what I liked about these guys.

I also just read, right before this tour was announced, Steve Gorman's book, which is not kind to either brother, but absolutely reads like a fair indictment of both of them. Highly recommended, btw. A very fun read. https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Handle-D.../dp/B07MLRFLBC

A few years ago, me and the kunt saw the Magpie Salute at the Wilbur in Boston. Great time before the show, beers and joints outdoors in Boston, walked to the venue, a great venue, band sounded incredible, singer was great, a really, really good band. They were a great Black Crowes cover band with scattered originals, but I decided that day that I didn't want to see any more Black Crowes cover bands, even this one that had Marc Ford, Rich, Sven, we even got Charity I think.

I'm rambling. You get the idea. If the Beach Boys were my all time favorite band, I don't think I'd ever want to see them with Mike love and a handful of other jamokes. Might be different if I never got to see them otherwise, but with the Crowes, other than the first tour, I think I've seen every version they've put out there for the most part, a lot of the greatest shows I've ever been to, over a couple decades. This version ain't that, and I think I'm good with what I've already seen.

prediction: tour gets cut WAY short, and the venues are WAY too big for a band that has driven people away for years.
    Outstanding response from a true Amorican. You sound just like my brother, and I'm having a hard time accepting a Crowes without Steve Gorman.

That said I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth. If they make it to September I'm going, may even spring for the VIP and finally get the meet the brothers.

If Noel and Liam ever get back together I don't give a shit who else it with them so I may as well apply the same logic to my other fav.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: September is a long way, but if they make it, the deserve all the love.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    Outstanding response from a true Amorican. You sound just like my brother, and I'm having a hard time accepting a Crowes without Steve Gorman.

That said I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth. If they make it to September I'm going, may even spring for the VIP and finally get the meet the brothers.

If Noel and Liam ever get back together I don't give a shit who else it with them so I may as well apply the same logic to my other fav.
    Not sure if you know it but we saw Liam Gallagher opening for the Who @T-Mobile Oct. 19th when we were there for the Ravens game. He did a few Oasis songs.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Not sure if you know it but we saw Liam Gallagher opening for the Who @T-Mobile Oct. 19th when we were there for the Ravens game. He did a few Oasis songs.
    Saw Oasis, the Crowes, and Spacehog in 2001ish on the Brotherly Love tour. Saw it with my brother, my best friend, and his younger brother, both of whom were brothers of my older brother's best friend. (Sounds like a riddle.) All in on the theme, there. Not a subtle guy with my real life metaphors, y'know?

The Black Crowes deserve their greatest hits tour, even more than a SYMM tour. They truly were a GREAT American rock band. They wrote and played great songs, they burned bridges, they got into fights, they got kicked off tours, they did too much coke/lsd/heroin depending on the era, good Lord, they deserve to earn their money just for living through that shit.

In the earlier years, taking people to TBC was kinda my concert equalizer, the payback for taking me to a cool show. My friend Chris drove us to Lollapalooza in RI and Metallica in Great Woods, so I took him to the Crowes at the Orpheum. I know he went to at least a dozen plus Crowes shows after that. I bought the tix for Page-Plant in high school days, but my boy Matt fronted the money for most of the tix, so I took him to the Crowes at the Mullins Center, a show where I remembered the first song, then blacked out completely ("Feelin Alright" then darkness lol), but have the recordings of the rest of the legendary show to be quite happy with.

I'm not a guy who hates covers or cover bands, btw. Was in my own cover band for a few years in Boston and surrounding areas. Music IS covering others. But music should be honest. I'm not at a Crowes show to raise my fist, bang my head, hippie dance in a circle etc. I'm there for what they give us. I'm there for when just like the diamond cursed, it can't get no worse. I'm there for when Girl From A Pawnshop breaks your heart. When that song was timely, it broke me apart, but ended with hope.

Chris used to talk about "The Song." Not any song in particular, but the ethereal, higher level of "song" that a live band can reach where they are on the higher level, tapped into nature and harmony and EACH OTHER vibrating with the universe, etc and so forth and whatever the fuck. Unconscious playing, in a sense. Maybe it was Wiser Time, maybe it was My Morning Song, but way more often than not, at least once, it was something, and the Crowes connected on a great musical level with the audience.

Probably none of any of this makes any sense. This is like my Thanksgiving emotional blow-off. Substance enhanced. I have deep empathy for Chris and Rich. I owe them immeasurably for the music and great times. I'm even happy that, even if they've cut off literally everyone else, they have re-connected at least to this extent, though it doesn't read as genuine.

Random note, I already deleted 2 full posts about this topic at least as long as this one. I could write a book about my attachment to the Crowes. I could easily throw out 5K words real fast about any given show at the Orpheum, Pearl St, Lupo's, the Mullins Center, Hampton Beach, the Joint in LV (a few days before 9/11, when travelling to a show was easy peasy).

On a good night, Chris and Rich and a cool group of guys can be a really fun rock show, no doubt. Unfortunately, it won't be a creative endeavor anymore. If it turns around and becomes a new thing, I'll be there for it. Shit, I don't even need them to care about new stuff, I just want them to care.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Probably none of any of this makes any sense.
    It makes perfect sense.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: agreement rep
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Steve Gorman was on Adam Carolla podcast pretty interesting interview I guess he will not be attending any of the shows on account of rivers of bad blood. worth a listen may make you think twice before going to one of there shows. Greed is a powerful drug.

https://podbay.fm/podcast/306390087/e/1571122860
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Fun fact - I’ve seen the crows more than 20 times and Wiser Time is my favorite song ever.

I’ve seen this show advertised in my Facebook feed numerous times. They are doing 4 for $99 lawn seats and being very aggressive in selling the show. I suspect this tour bombs. That being said if I’m around in July I could see myself buying a ticket and going if I’m in town.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Wiser Time is arguably the greatest song ever recorded

Crowe Diddly: we've likely been at Orpheum shows together, I'd guess?

Load Metric
    BTW, here's the greatest cover band I ever seen.

Comments

1marley1: Zoso

tony bagadonuts: 10 Years Gone

Thread Information