Thread: No Hugs for the Holidays

Load Metric

No Hugs for the Holidays

Joe Biden must be devastated.

(CNN) — At a time when issues of sexual harassment and consent are in the news, and with the holidays just around the corner, the Girl Scouts have resurfaced a recommendation about how parents can help young girls handle affection.

The GSUSA tweeted out a reminder, which is also posted on their website, telling parents, "She doesn't owe anyone a hug. Not even at the holidays."
    The "hugs" here are obviously of a non-sexual nature: Doting aunts and grandparents who are inclined to big embraces and cheek pinches at holiday gatherings.

However, the GSUSA's post says this could set the stage for unexpected emotional consequences.

"Think of it this way, telling your child that she owes someone a hug either just because she hasn't seen this person in a while or because they gave her a gift can set the stage for her questioning whether she 'owes' another person any type of physical affection when they've bought her dinner or done something else seemingly nice for her later in life," the piece reads.

It also offers insight from Girl Scouts' developmental psychologist Dr. Andrea Bastiani Archibald, who says letting girls decide when and how to show affection, even to family members, can help with "setting physical boundaries and expecting them to be respected" even as they get older.

While some people have waved away concern on social media or accused the Girl Scouts of blowing an innocent family interaction out of proportion, others pointed out that this has long been a (very controversial) topic in parenting circles.
    After CNN's Katia Hetter wrote an article advocating for such a practice in 2015, readers responded with various opinions. Some shared difficult stories from their childhood that they carried with them well into their adult years.
    READ MORE: I don't own my child's body
    "I raised my children this way over 20 years ago. Why did we do this? Because I had been a victim of sexual abuse by a family 'friend' for many years as a child. I did not want my children to think they had to hug or touch others unless the contact was wanted," one reader wrote.

Others didn't understand the big deal, and argued that family obligation sometimes means doing uncomfortable things.

"You're damn right you're going to hug the woman who gave your mother/father life so you could have life," another reader wrote.

The Girl Scouts have a history of taking on polarizing subjects regarding girls, women and gender identity. Over the past few years, parishes and religious groups have made public splits with the organization because of the GSUSA's "secular" interests

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is so dumb.

So a little girl can't hug 80-year-old grandma whom she hasn't seen since 3 years ago?

Parents should just take this stuff on a case-by-case basis. If there is some Biden-like uncle, the parent can tell the guy in advance that she doesn't feel comfortable hugging men anymore, or whatever. If it's innocent grandma, you let the hug take place.

Imagine you want to give an innocent hug to a young relative and the girl tells you, "I don't owe anyone a hug".

You would come away feeling awkward yourself, like the parents were directing it at you and perhaps had some resentment you didn't realize.

Horrible advice.

Regarding sexual abuse by relatives, again it's important to use your best judgment and not leave kids alone with males who might be questionable, even family members.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    This is so dumb.

So a little girl can't hug 80-year-old grandma whom she hasn't seen since 3 years ago?

Parents should just take this stuff on a case-by-case basis. If there is some Biden-like uncle, the parent can tell the guy in advance that she doesn't feel comfortable hugging men anymore, or whatever. If it's innocent grandma, you let the hug take place.

Imagine you want to give an innocent hug to a young relative and the girl tells you, "I don't owe anyone a hug".

You would come away feeling awkward yourself, like the parents were directing it at you and perhaps had some resentment you didn't realize.

Horrible advice.

Regarding sexual abuse by relatives, again it's important to use your best judgment and not leave kids alone with males who might be questionable, even family members.
    It funny how they make this a gender thing. I guess boys have to comply with basic rules of family conduct, but girls don’t.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    This is so dumb.

Horrible advice.

Its not "Cant", its "gets the choice".

Republicans are the party of choice arent they?

Comments

MumblesBadly: Count on Druff to misread what was meant in order to make it an issue.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    I haven't trusted the Girl Scouts since they reduced the number of cookies in a package while increasing the price.

Always the same with women: bait and switch.

Comments

Jayjami: Damn good post

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information