Thread: Is this the worst Class Action Lawsuit settlement in history?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Is this the worst Class Action Lawsuit settlement in history?

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ THIS EMAIL

Dear ******,

You should have received an email in mid-October about a proposed class action settlement, stating that because you were a customer of Zappos in January 2012, you are entitled to receive a 10% discount on your next Zappos purchase. This discount was part of a settlement reached in the lawsuit filed because of the data breach that occurred in January 2012.

We wanted to reach out again to remind you that you may use your discount code between now and the end of the year (December 31, 2019 at 11:59 pm pacific time to be exact). Here are some highlights for using your discount code:

• You may combine it with other promotions, discounts or points that you have on your Zappos account.

• You can use it on ANY item available on the Zappos app or website, including items that are on sale.

• Your discount code is good on your entire order, no matter how many items you have in your shopping cart.

• There is no limit to how much you can save on your purchase.

• Or, if you prefer, you can simply transfer the code to someone else to use.

If you have already used your discount code and you need to return or exchange the items you purchased with it, feel free to contact our Customer Loyalty Team at (877) 927-2332. They will be happy to assist you and provide you with a new discount code for your return/exchange purchase.

Once again, here is your one-time-use code: ****-******-******

Once you've selected the items you want to purchase, select “Proceed to Checkout” and you’ll have a chance to enter your code.

• For Desktop Users: Under “2. Payment Method,” you’ll see a dropdown for “Add gift card or a VIP code.” Simply enter the code there, click “Apply,” and continue checking out.

• For App Users: Select “Gift Codes” in the top right corner, enter your code, select save, and continue checking out.

For additional information regarding the settlement and your legal rights to object or opt out of this settlement, please visit www.Zapposdatasettlement.com, which is the only official settlement website. Please be aware that the website www.zapposdatabreachsettlement .com is a counterfeit website that was ordered closed by the Court. If you inadvertently visited the counterfeit website before it was closed, you may contact (310) 201-9150 for additional information.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding and, as always, we’re here to help. If you need help with placing an order, please don’t hesitate to reach out by contacting us at 2012action@zappos.com or (877) 927-2332. If you need information about the settlement, please write to: Zappos Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 43434, Providence, RI 02940-3434, or telephone 1-855-263-1060.

We appreciate you,

Your Friends at Zappos
    10% off discount for their fuck up?

I don't remember buying anything from Zappos but I guess I did several years back. Many online stores have at least 10% random off all of the time and of course these stores still make money so for them to have a data breach and this is the settlement?

Load Metric
    How much you wanna bet those lawyers probably got a 50% off coupon for themselves. Disgraceful!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    First off, if you don't need that coupon, this Jew will take it off your hands. I still have some Zappos gift cards left over from a Cosmo promotion in 2012.

Anyway, I'm surprised more lawyers don't take a shot at class action lawsuits against big companies engaging in small-scale wrongdoing against a mass number of customers. I see shit like this all the time.

Here's an example:

My cable company bundles internet/home phone/TV, like most do.

When my internet failed, it took a week for them to finally get someone down here to repair it. When it was all said and done, they agreed that the problem was on their end. I asked for some credit for the trouble.

Not only did they refuse a customer service credit, but they also offered me under $1.25 for the week of outage!

I told them, "It's required by law to reimburse the customer for the amount of money pro-rated for them being out service. Obviously one dollar for a week of no internet is an incredible underpayment."

They insisted that it was correct.

I pointed out that my bill was about $170 per month, after taxes, and that the internet would be about 1/3 of the price of total service if I paid for them all separately without the bundle.

They said, "Yes, but with the bundle, we discount the internet down to $5/month, so you get a prorated refund based upon $5/month."

I asked, "So you're saying my bundle is paying full price for the other two services, and my internet is discounted to $5/month? It said nothing about that in the promo I signed up for."

"That's the way we always do it," I was told. "So you're not due anything more than a dollar and change."

I figured out why they do this.

Internet is BY FAR the most likely to fail of the three services, so by "discounting" the internet only on a bundle plan (instead of everything equally), they can legally pay you pennies per day when they can't deliver the service to you.

Total scam.

I submitted a complaint to the Public Utilities Commission but got ignored.

I gave up.

Would love to see some lawyer hit them with a class action on this.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    First off, if you don't need that coupon, this Jew will take it off your hands. I still have some Zappos gift cards left over from a Cosmo promotion in 2012.

Anyway, I'm surprised more lawyers don't take a shot at class action lawsuits against big companies engaging in small-scale wrongdoing against a mass number of customers. I see shit like this all the time.

Here's an example:

My cable company bundles internet/home phone/TV, like most do.

When my internet failed, it took a week for them to finally get someone down here to repair it. When it was all said and done, they agreed that the problem was on their end. I asked for some credit for the trouble.

Not only did they refuse a customer service credit, but they also offered me under $1.25 for the week of outage!

I told them, "It's required by law to reimburse the customer for the amount of money pro-rated for them being out service. Obviously one dollar for a week of no internet is an incredible underpayment."

They insisted that it was correct.

I pointed out that my bill was about $170 per month, after taxes, and that the internet would be about 1/3 of the price of total service if I paid for them all separately without the bundle.

They said, "Yes, but with the bundle, we discount the internet down to $5/month, so you get a prorated refund based upon $5/month."

I asked, "So you're saying my bundle is paying full price for the other two services, and my internet is discounted to $5/month? It said nothing about that in the promo I signed up for."

"That's the way we always do it," I was told. "So you're not due anything more than a dollar and change."

I figured out why they do this.

Internet is BY FAR the most likely to fail of the three services, so by "discounting" the internet only on a bundle plan (instead of everything equally), they can legally pay you pennies per day when they can't deliver the service to you.

Total scam.

I submitted a complaint to the Public Utilities Commission but got ignored.

I gave up.

Would love to see some lawyer hit them with a class action on this.
    Don't we have a sponsored lawyer here?

Has anybody else received $20 settlements for just sending back a postcard from these mass lawsuits?

Comments

IamGreek: Reasonable and yes I have

Thread Information