Thread: The Poker Place in Canada Takes Automatic 5% Dealer Tip from BBJ

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The Poker Place in Canada Takes Automatic 5% Dealer Tip from BBJ

I've never seen this before -- a card room automatically taking 5% from the bad beat jackpot to play the dealers. The Dealer's share is more that the Table share if there are 8 or more players. LOL

Name:  69941183_784559691988589_4041670173789257728_n.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  65.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That actually is obnoxious.

Do you know how the house makes money on this? Do they also take a percentage of the jackpot drop?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Druff,

Like most U.S. poker rooms, I would assume that the drop is separate from the rake with the drop being used to fund player promotions and the rake being kept by the poker room. The bad beat jackpot is funded from the drop, as may be other promotions like high hand promotions, tournament seat giveaways, etc. Here, in addition to paying the 2 hands involved in the bad beat, they also pay out a table share and that automatic 5% to the dealers. I agree that it's obnoxious to automatically remove 5% of the BBJ for tips. Players not realizing this, or who wish to tip more, will likely re-tip.

Since it's written as "Dealers" I further assume that it's split between all dealers so that the one lucky dealer who dealt the BBJ hand doesn't get all the tip money. The room likely also spreads this 5% among dealers, chip runners, floor/brush, and even cage workers. Maybe more.

I saw this on the Real Grinders forum, and when I commented that this automatic tip is illegal in the U.S. I was immediately berated for not tipping, tipping less than 5%, or wanting to make life hard for dealers. I think 1 guy understood my point that all tipping should be at the discretion of the players.

Vic

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    P.S. I'm also perplexed by the added note that "Kicker Can Not Be On The Board". Since there is no kicker with full houses or straight flushes, this must refer to quads. Both cards must play, so on a board of AAKK2 with both players having quads, both of their kickers would be on the board (AAAAK vs. KKKKA). So the only way to make quads without having the kicker on the board are hands with trips in the flop, like AAA32 with a player holding AK. But this odd rule would eliminate all quads vs. quads. So using this hand, and assuming that the A23 are suited, your AX hand (where X is anything but a deuce) is valid if you're up against any KK (for the primary jackpot) or 88 or higher (for the secondary jackpot), or you're against 54 suited for the steel wheel. This "Kicker Can Not Be On The Board" rule is very odd. Like the 5% dealer tip, it must be a Canadian thing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha1243 View Post
    P.S. I'm also perplexed by the added note that "Kicker Can Not Be On The Board". Since there is no kicker with full houses or straight flushes, this must refer to quads. Both cards must play, so on a board of AAKK2 with both players having quads, both of their kickers would be on the board (AAAAK vs. KKKKA). So the only way to make quads without having the kicker on the board are hands with trips in the flop, like AAA32 with a player holding AK. But this odd rule would eliminate all quads vs. quads. So using this hand, and assuming that the A23 are suited, your AX hand (where X is anything but a deuce) is valid if you're up against any KK (for the primary jackpot) or 88 or higher (for the secondary jackpot), or you're against 54 suited for the steel wheel. This "Kicker Can Not Be On The Board" rule is very odd. Like the 5% dealer tip, it must be a Canadian thing.
    AAA33 Both players can have quads.

They are eliminating A2 on a board like that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The only good thing this does is eliminates the conversation and conspiracies of what the dealer(s) should receive for dealing the BBJ but the problem is 5% is a bit steep when a lot of people who argue this still believe 1 to 3% is the range to give.

It also means the table share person who gets $500 bucks loses $25 in theory and they are never tipping $25 in a pot that nets them a profit of $500. I get that it's new found unexpected money here so $25 is what it is in a case like this but it should be up to the person to decide what they give.

Of course dealing it is random but what if the dealer has been super obnoxious the entire time? He now gets paid a nice reward for being an asshole.

Thread Information