Thread: Edward Norton claimed that a Rounders 2 might be possible

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Edward Norton claimed that a Rounders 2 might be possible

https://www.pokertube.com/article/ro...-of-rounders-2

Personally, I'm against it.

The 1998 Rounders should stand on its own, and not be ruined by what is likely to be an awful sequel.

Part of the reason it would suck is because its writers have produced mostly garbage over the past 15 years.

After the excellent "Rounders", the underrated (but commercially unsuccessful) "Knockaround Guys", they wrote the preachy "Runaway Jury", the ridiculous poker series "Tilt", the mediocre "Oceans Thirteen", and the mediocre "Solitary Man", among others.

So basically they haven't written anything good for almost 20 years.

Not only that, but Brian Koppelman is now a SJW:

Can you imagine a gritty film like Rounders 2 being written by an easily-offended, self-hating-white-male, SJW type? It will be dreadful.

Load Metric
    Brian Koppelman isn’t white.

Load Metric
    druff can you point me to the conservative hollywood directors that we could use as an alternative?

also how are you not mentioning billions as one of his works

Load Metric
    1) It's a terrible idea
    2) Norton is just talking a lot while promoting his new film
    3) Koppelman makes Billions, so saying he's done nothing good recently is just flat-out wrong

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    Brian Koppelman isn’t white.
    LOL...wonder if Druff identifies as white?

Comments

devidee: Sure. When it’s convenient (((obviously)))

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    druff can you point me to the conservative hollywood directors that we could use as an alternative?

also how are you not mentioning billions as one of his works
    Clint Eastwood, but you better act soon
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I forgot about Billions, but even considering that, his track record has been spotty for awhile now.

Another problem is that professional poker was new to most of the public in 1998, so much of the movie involved basically introducing us to it.

Without that element in the sequel, I have a feeling the story will be fail.

Load Metric
    I had actually written a screenplay outline for a Rounders 2 and never got around to reaching out to Jamie Gold for financing before he went busto, so I just kinda shelved it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Damon is in for it also, as are the writers. Apparently just no script yet. Billions is probably all they are focusing on.

I think there are plenty of directions the script could go that would make it decent and interesting. What worm has been up to has the best potential storylines.

Load Metric
    Matt Damon has a terrible poker face.

Load Metric
    Go for it - the first one is delightful but it's not their making a sequel to Citizen Kane.

Worm comes to Vegas after Mike became the equivalent of Daniel Negreanu, gets stuck...go

Easy.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Go for it - the first one is delightful but it's not their making a sequel to Citizen Kane.

Worm comes to Vegas after Mike became the equivalent of Daniel Negreanu, gets stuck...go

Easy.
    In other words he’s Erick Lindgren?

Comments

Tellafriend: Good one

Load Metric
    Plot will be Teddy KGB overpays for Neverwinpoker.com and chases Micon to Antigua.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    I liked knockaround guys

Comments

OSA: scott caan-james caan's son is in it

Load Metric
    It could be excellent, but only if it was a depressing tale starting with worm living in his van, Damon having made millions only to be rolled by an ex wife and now unable to compete against the kids and back driving a delivery van and trying to get back into action. It could be great, but it wouldn’t be an uplifting story. It would be a cautionary tale. Certainly wouldn’t start another poker boom.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    I liked knockaround guys
    I did, too.

My girlfriend at the time was a movie buff, so I saw more movies in the theater with her than anyone else in my adult life. On the way out of a movie theater in early 2000, were handed free tickets to a test screening of Knockaround Guys. We didn't expect much, but were both pleasantly surprised.

We walked out with the same opinion: Very good and interesting movie, but the ending kinda sucked. We both indicated this on a questionnaire we were given at the end.

I was then surprised to see that it wasn't hitting theaters. I looked it up online several months later, and saw that test audiences didn't like the ending, so they were redoing it. Okay, made sense.

Then still more time passed... the girlfriend and I broke up at the end of 2000, and still no Knockaround Guys. Apparently they were also dealing with distribution issues.

Finally it appeared in theaters in the fall of 2001, but this was shortly after 9/11, and nobody felt like going to see it. It ended up bombing.

Even though the critics panned it, I always felt that this was a good movie which just ran really bad with outside circumstances (delays, 9/11, etc).

Speaking of 9/11, I believe this was the only movie released post-9/11 (and not set in the past) which featured the twin towers still standing. There was some talk of quickly editing them out, but the studio had stopped giving a fuck about the movie by that point, and let it stand.

Load Metric
    I liked runaway jury also. I get what you mean by preachy, but it was an interesting concept. Jury consultants were rather new, and the idea of a fly in the ointment was a very cool idea. Plus it’s hard to go wrong with Gene Hackman, Rachel Weisz, and John Cusack. It wasn’t great, but they are all so watchable as actors that I enjoyed it. Hackman is an all time great, and his irritation as things went awry was fantastic.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I liked runaway jury also. I get what you mean by preachy, but it was an interesting concept. Jury consultants were rather new, and the idea of a fly in the ointment was a very cool idea. Plus it’s hard to go wrong with Gene Hackman, Rachel Weisz, and John Cusack. It wasn’t great, but they are all so watchable as actors that I enjoyed it. Hackman is an all time great, and his irritation as things went awry was fantastic.
    I mostly agree with this assessment.

I actually loved the concept of it, and parts of it were executed very well. The idea of a juror planting himself into a case in order to influence its outcome was a great premise. In general, the jury scenes felt realistic and well put together.

This would have been a great film if they didn't turn it political, complete with cigar-chomping, corporate white male villains from the gun industry. Ugh. They could have done so many possible interesting things with the case itself, and instead they went with the super-low-hanging fruit.

Overall it wasn't bad, but they really blew the potential.

Load Metric
    Anyone see , the mule Clint Eastwood. On hbo pretty quick , I enjoyed it

Thread Information