Thread: Don Cherry of Hockey Night in Canada Let G0

Load Metric

Don Cherry of Hockey Night in Canada Let G0

Not shocking in the least considering they were letting lots of high priced "talent" go. I'm sure they were just waiting for him to slip up.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl...JzL?li=AAggNb9

He won't be missed.

Comments

The Shrink: He'll be missed by the people who don't want to let go of the past.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    LULZ

He didn’t even say anything bad.

Load Metric
    I guess listening to the Bowles of hockey talk has been invaded by the WokE crowd, Cherry has been laying down Bombastic rants for more than 30 years. At 85 it couldn’t e a better exit.
    He is probably happy to be done...
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    He is probably happy to be done...
    He doesn't seem like a guy who would like being told he has to step down or else he's fired.

Load Metric
    Sad day in Canada. Had been a staple of hockey households for many years.

If he was younger I would say he will just do a podcast but he is better off signing off for good.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    cherry be crushing the dreams of all those honduran and guatemalan hockey players.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Similar to Sonatine, Cherry was suspicious of the Russian players and was against them joining the NHL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

He won't be missed.

Dude! He is the poster boy for the greatest generation of hockey. Back when men where men.

Load Metric
    If you ask baby boomer Bruins fans who their favorite coach was, most will name Cherry even though he never won a Cup unlike Harry Sinden. He came off to me as an arrogant obnoxious self- promoting bully, but Bruins fans of that era seemed to worship him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

OSA: desus and mero rep
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I remember as a kid here in Michigan we always got CBC so every Saturday it was Hockey Night in Canada and Don Cherry was the GOAT.

While it's sad to see him go he was around way longer then anyone should have thought he would be kind of like Bob Barker before finally retiring from The Price is Right.

Good for him standing up and not apologizing for something he believes in which wasn't really wrong imo. The easily offended nature we live in today sucks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I remember as a kid here in Michigan we always got CBC so every Saturday it was Hockey Night in Canada and Don Cherry was the GOAT.
    "Was" is the operative word here. Have you watched him lately? He was still ranting like a lunatic as though the game hasn't evolved since 1985. His mindset hasn't changed while the game has changed drastically. There's very little fighting now. There are tons of players from overseas. Visors are mandatory. Enforcers are extinct. Don Cherry has nothing relevant to comment on anymore. And the product is much better - so much more skill and speed. Watch hockey highlights from the 80s - it's a joke how bad the players were relative to now. Cherry hasn't evolved like the game or the rest of the world. I loved him back in the day. Bought every Rock 'Em Sock 'Em video each year. But I still watch Hockey Night in Canada every single Saturday and it had gotten to the point recently where I would watch about 30 seconds of Don on Coach's Corner and turn the channel. He had become unwatchable.

Good for him standing up and not apologizing for something he believes in which wasn't really wrong imo. The easily offended nature we live in today sucks.
    Agreed that he honestly believes it was not really wrong what he said. But it's another example of him not evolving with the times and having no self-awareness. He was definitely referring to immigrants in his rant when he said "You people come here and you like our milk and honey" - not sure how you can interpret that any other way. Here's probably what happened - Don Cherry walked down Yonge Street in Toronto on the day before Remembrance Day and casually noted that White people were mostly wearing poppies and POC were not. He then induced the theory "immigrants don't wear poppies" which he then blathered on about on national television. He did admit on Tucker Carlson yesterday that he should have said "everyone" instead of "you people."

I wish it didn't end this way because his legacy is now tarnished. They should've dropped him a few years ago.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    "Was" is the operative word here. Have you watched him lately? He was still ranting like a lunatic as though the game hasn't evolved since 1985. His mindset hasn't changed while the game has changed drastically. There's very little fighting now. There are tons of players from overseas. Visors are mandatory. Enforcers are extinct. Don Cherry has nothing relevant to comment on anymore. And the product is much better - so much more skill and speed. Watch hockey highlights from the 80s - it's a joke how bad the players were relative to now. Cherry hasn't evolved like the game or the rest of the world. I loved him back in the day. Bought every Rock 'Em Sock 'Em video each year. But I still watch Hockey Night in Canada every single Saturday and it had gotten to the point recently where I would watch about 30 seconds of Don on Coach's Corner and turn the channel. He had become unwatchable.

Agreed that he honestly believes it was not really wrong what he said. But it's another example of him not evolving with the times and having no self-awareness. He was definitely referring to immigrants in his rant when he said "You people come here and you like our milk and honey" - not sure how you can interpret that any other way. Here's probably what happened - Don Cherry walked down Yonge Street in Toronto on the day before Remembrance Day and casually noted that White people were mostly wearing poppies and POC were not. He then induced the theory "immigrants don't wear poppies" which he then blathered on about on national television. He did admit on Tucker Carlson yesterday that he should have said "everyone" instead of "you people."

I wish it didn't end this way because his legacy is now tarnished. They should've dropped him a few years ago.

This is what I was referring to when I said "he won't be missed".

He should have rode off into the sunset when he was voted 2nd? in the greatest Canadian poll a few years back.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information